General Discussion

Ping

Ping, Marmite is 500 grams, and nearly 2 bucks cheaper than 400 gram Vegemite.

LOL, mine would about a month, 6 weeks max.

Marmite is a stronger flavour than Vegemite, I like it, it repels skeeters just as well.

Not giving into the yanks and their daylite robbery of us Ockors and Kiwis.

Marmite for Australasia is made in Christchurch, or was until recently, not changed I don't think.

As for coffee, real espresso only for me, will have my lil old espresso m/c with me next trip, two and a half months.

Gotta have REAL java, no instant crap, sorry.

Have you tried that foul Thai and Malaysian java brew made with instant and carnation milk.... ewwwwwwwww?

My fave coffee shop in Chalong now has free WiFi, forget the name

Next to the 'English' fish and chips shop on left down the pier road.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I like a real brew too - used to drink only brewed black coffee when I was a nipper, but got used to drinking instant again. Many places around the island have free wifi now, buti I far prefer the convenience of having access at home. I see that CAT do mobile wifi for a reasonable price - may go with that when I get back. (Currently CDMA but apparently they're in the process of updating.)

Don't know the Malaysian drink you talk about - but it sounds ordinary.

Still haven't got up the bush yet - the gout attack upset my plans. Probably tomorrow butif not, definitely Thurs... Just in time for the approaching lousy weather :o

Street hawkers in Bangers sell.

Saw a friend trying it on Suk, the look on his face was precious. :D

PMPL........ :o ............ :D ......... :D

My mobile is CDMA, but only works in BKK

Telecom bring in new 3G service in June -July, gunna wait and see wot it's like, then new mobile.

Edited by Zpete

Marmite is a stronger flavour than Vegemite, I like it, it repels skeeters just as well.

Marmite for Australasia is made in Christchurch, or was until recently, not changed I don't think.

As for coffee, real espresso only for me, will have my lil old espresso m/c with me next trip, two and a half months.

Have you tried that foul Thai and Malaysian java brew made with instant and carnation milk.... ewwwwwwwww?

I would say the fish n chips more closely resemble NZ or Oz style although the owners are American, who enjoys a gin, & his Thai wife who I believe learned to cook fish n chips either in Australia or was taught by an Aussie. The shop has been there for many years & once had a good review in the Gazette. I had some the other night & thought the standard was still pretty much the same as it has always been which is OK for my taste.

There used to be another one on Chao Fa East which was opened by a Kiwi, sold to an Aussie who then had to go back to Oz, taken over by somebody else but no evidence of foreign involvement & now seems to be closed. The Kiwi guy had an interesting story as he started in a small shop in Phuket Town, opposite TAT, the set up in Patong just before the tsunami & was lucky not to be in his shop when it was wiped out. Having lost everything he started up again in Chao Fa East & ran what appeared to be a successful business in which he also sold model replicas of boats. It was tasty fare in a clean environment.

I would say the fish n chips more closely resemble NZ or Oz style although the owners are American, who enjoys a gin, & his Thai wife who I believe learned to cook fish n chips either in Australia or was taught by an Aussie. The shop has been there for many years & once had a good review in the Gazette. I had some the other night & thought the standard was still pretty much the same as it has always been which is OK for my taste.

There used to be another one on Chao Fa East which was opened by a Kiwi, sold to an Aussie who then had to go back to Oz, taken over by somebody else but no evidence of foreign involvement & now seems to be closed. The Kiwi guy had an interesting story as he started in a small shop in Phuket Town, opposite TAT, the set up in Patong just before the tsunami & was lucky not to be in his shop when it was wiped out. Having lost everything he started up again in Chao Fa East & ran what appeared to be a successful business in which he also sold model replicas of boats. It was tasty fare in a clean environment.

Hi Val.

Interesting, I thought the guy was a pom.

Had many a gin laden chat with him, wifey is quite nice too...

(Him gin laden, me Chang laden...LOL).... no Bin Laden.

Woulda been interesting to try a Kiwi feed of "Fush 'n Chups" .

Remind me of good Kiwi Kai.

Mind you, my fave way of eating fish 'n chips is wrapped up in newspaper when the steam makes for soggy chips.... yummy.

Been going to Chalong for over 5 years now, may have seen it without realising what it was.

Hi Pete, they do wrap them in plain newspaper, no polystyrene involved so its as close as one can get to "fush n chips" apart from the type of fish. Last year when I was in NZ, way down south, there were a couple of shops, which were locally famous for outstanding battered blue cod & chips although the traditional variety can still be found in every suburb usually run by Chinese.

Hi Pete, they do wrap them in plain newspaper, no polystyrene involved so its as close as one can get to "fush n chips" apart from the type of fish. Last year when I was in NZ, way down south, there were a couple of shops, which were locally famous for outstanding battered blue cod & chips although the traditional variety can still be found in every suburb usually run by Chinese.

Once most fish 'n chip shops here in Aotearoa were all Dalmatio run.

Now mainly orientals, some not so hot either.

Next generation will be Somali, Muslim, <deleted>.

I come from Dunedin & in my time it has always been Chinese. Even last year there still seemed to be many new Chinese in the business which reminded me of a very good book about the overseas Chinese & the networks provided to help their own groups to get out of China & set up in a foreign country. There were some interesting tales related to Thailand & I remember a talk by a leading Phuket buisnessman, of Chinese descent, comparing their situation, when they first arrived in Phuket, to that of us other expats who try to make a business & home here.

Val, are you residing in, or near Chalong?

It is my place of choice to stay, more laid back than Kata, Karon and that other place, Patong......yukkk.

If you are around for Loy Krathon, you will find me at "The Come 'ON' Bar", my favourite, watering hole for the last 5 years.

Cheers matey, I will be in here regularly.

I am not far from the circle. I spent the first 7 or 8 years in Patong & glad to have escaped over the hill to Kathu 10 years ago as Patong was starting to deteriorate badly. However, I do still enjoy a very occasional jaunt to Patong when friends are visiting.

Gotta go & do some work just now but yes we can keep in touch & meet up later in the year.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems to be a feeling of general malaise at the moment.

Not much life around in Phuket.

Hi Pete. Both Thai & foreign business people here, including myself, are seeing a downturn in sales & no new contracts on the horizon which may be contributing to the malaise. My sister in Dunedin is experiencing the same although she says friends who have regular paying jobs are not feeling any stress just yet.

By the way, you might have the choice of 2 Come On bars as I saw one in a small complex opposite the entrance to Land & House although it seems the one on the way to the pier is still open.

Hi Pete. Both Thai & foreign business people here, including myself, are seeing a downturn in sales & no new contracts on the horizon which may be contributing to the malaise. My sister in Dunedin is experiencing the same although she says friends who have regular paying jobs are not feeling any stress just yet.

By the way, you might have the choice of 2 Come On bars as I saw one in a small complex opposite the entrance to Land & House although it seems the one on the way to the pier is still open.

Hi Val.

ON, who runs the one where I imbibe, the one going to the pier.

Dunno where Land & House is, never seen it, no idea.

ON was quite upbeat last November about the building going on down at the waterfront.

Lovely lady, been a real friend for me these last 5 years.

Yeah, Kiwis are managing OK, but feel for the many who have been put off.

Dunno where to stay this year, usually at AO Chalong Inn opposite ON's bar.

Will me partner with me, and that place is great, but all single beds, not great.

Mite have to phone BEE who runs it, she may have doubles, NOT 2 beds pushed together.

Mite go to that last place on the right, Dos Gringos.

The guy who runs it, Sean, also has boat charters.

Catchu around Val..

i DO hope you are referring to the temperature of the fish and chips, Zpete!

Val, are you residing in, or near Chalong?

It is my place of choice to stay, more laid back than Kata, Karon and that other place, Patong......yukkk.

If you are around for Loy Krathon, you will find me at "The Come 'ON' Bar", my favourite, watering hole for the last 5 years.

Cheers matey, I will be in here regularly.

Poota I am useing is crippled, cannot get full pages of TV, hence my posting from here.

Hi Folks,

I am in Melbourne, just wundrin if anyone seen Ping.

Will be in this mizribl cold wintry hole for next 3 days.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ping, great to see yer home again.

Pity we missed, but I knew you were away, no prob.

Melbs trip was spur of the moment thing, used airdollars.

45 NZ bucks going 120 OZ bucks return, OZ taxes are over the top.

Just wanted to get a kwik trip in before me gal arrived.

She here now, 2 weeks.

She be best thing I found in Thai Visa, yesssiiiiirrrrrrrr.

Gunna be on Phuket as mentioned, 31st Oct, Chalong of course.

I want to get over in mid to late July and stay until December. Will depend upon availability of accommodation that I can arrange at this late a stage. Hopefully will spend summer in Melbourne getting house up to rental standard (and getting rid of heaps of acquired junk) and back to Phuket permanently around March next year. Will you be taking your lady friend to Th with you? Where do you plan to spend Loi Krathong?

I don't often get around the coastal/tourist spots, however this evening I arranged to meet up for a few drinks with a buddy (and Kata resident) who is going back to work tomorrow (Angola). The rendezvous was the 'After Beach Bar' just outside Kata on the Nai Harn road, normally a great spot around 6-6.30 pm for the sunset. Absolutely dead. I've seen the lessening of traffic generally (tour buses/tuk tuk's etc) on the main roads, but it's not until you actually go into the resort areas that the lack of tourists is highlighted. Sunset at 'After Beach' is probably one of the classic places in the area, but tonight maybe 12 to 14 customers in the whole place, and there were certainly more staff than customers. When the wife drove home circa 10 pm, and went through the main street in Kata, I think we saw 4 or 5 farang tourists the whole way to Chalong Circle.

As a resident, great news, no problem with parking etc. However, if you're involved in business here, must be very trying times indeed.

That's one of the main things I like about low season - the place is much quieter. I know that low season is always a pest for tourism-related businesses, but that's a factor that people who want to get into business there should know in advance. The disappointing and largely unpredictableproblem is the general reduction in tourist numbers. When I left last year (November), the tourist numbers in some places seemed to be growing reasonably, but I noted that the numbers weren't starting to grow until late in October (as opposed to previous trends of late September) and in some areas (Kata, Karon and Kamala in particular), you could just about fire a cannon. My guess is that the major drop in numbers is in the couples/families demographic (which these days, of course, are significant proportions). Also, fewer people are likely to be making their way there to settle for the longer term (expats)/fewer are likely to want to invest in business there in the current climate.

As for me, being retired, I will be largely unaffected (despite taking a huge hiding with the share market crash). I'm surprised that Handbags is reconsidering his decision to move over (despite his reasoning), but will try to catch up with him (and others, of course) when he visits later in the year. Of course, by then, Pete may well be shackled (oops) married again and find he cannot get over there.

As to the business (discussed somewhere above) of living 6 months in Th and 6 months in your home country. it is a darned expensive way of doing things. You still have all your bills at home and can do little to minimise expenses/increase comforts in Th (Pointless buying a car - so need to rent long term - and also pointless buying decent furnishings/electronic goods, etc.) I've been doing it for a while and it is a sure fire way of lightening one's wallet.

Which reminds me, Pete. When I was up the bush, I only had an electric frypan, two small toaster ovens and a miscrowave oven with which to cook. Amazing how one can adjust when necessary...

Pete (following on from the other thread), are you aware where you can buy one of those Thai BBQ pots (I think I know a place in Patong that will have them), how much it will cost and how you are going to get it home?

Ping, cost not relevant, just have to keep baggage lite next trip.

I always bring too much, just need to do more washing.

I will get it home, no worry.

Do you know of a Thai BBQ in Patong, Karon, Kata ........ ?

Neva seen one in Chalong, not enuff ppl to warrant one, I reckon.

If you are looking for a good bbq then try Moby Dicks in Rawai, every second sunday 4 til 7 ( next one 21 Jun), all you can eat for 100 Baht, Kids 50 Baht. Great food, cheap beer ( Tiger 45 Baht).

If you want to purchase a quality gas bbq, try BBQs Direct on Viset Road from Chalong to Rawai about 400 Metres past Tesco Lotus on the right hand side. Bought one not so long ago, full stainless steel, 3 main burners plus side wok burner on special offer for 20,000 Baht and got free 18 piece bbq tool set. Great to cook on!

Thanks jackdee, but what he was after was one of those Korean barbecue-style burners that sit in the middle of the table. The meats are placed on the centre part and eggs, veg and seafood go in the ring of boiling water surrounding it.

I want to get over in mid to late July and stay until December. Will depend upon availability of accommodation that I can arrange at this late a stage. Hopefully will spend summer in Melbourne getting house up to rental standard (and getting rid of heaps of acquired junk) and back to Phuket permanently around March next year. Will you be taking your lady friend to Th with you? Where do you plan to spend Loi Krathong?

Hey, first time in 20 years about since I have had a travel companion, leave her behind whilst I hit LoS, yeah rite..

I am a selfish traveller, wanna do stuff my way alla time........LOL

Not sure this trip where we will stay, AO Chalong Inn is all twin beds from what I have seen..... no WiFi.

If no doubles I will try for that Gringo's Mexican place at the end on the right hand side going down to the pier, had WiFi last year.

Drinking place will be the same, Come On Bar, nacherly.

You will be there long before me, possibly you may find time if ya down that way to ask "Bee", boss lady at the inn if they have doubles.

Like your bush style. Back when kids were home we camped on 90 Mile Beach, Nth Auckland.

Basic necessities only, generator, m/wave, telly, electric frypan and pressure cooker.

(Telly for cricket only)

Lotta time yet.

Hi Pete. Couldn't get my regular rental house due to insufficient notice (due to the business I had up the bush having an indeterminable time span). However, it looks like I have managed to find another house in the same secure estate - unfortunately quite a bit dearer, but beggars can't be choosers. Dates tentatively mid July to early January. It means I'll have to spend nearly half my time there during high season :) , but so be it. I'll spend the rest of summer and part of autumn getting the house in Melb in order for rental (ie cleaning out all my junk, essentail maintenance and new fittings, fixtures, paint, carpets, etc). Hopefully my permanent move to Phuket will now be in May next year (how many years have I been saying that?).

Re Chalong, I can certainly make your enquiry for you with Bee, but don't they have an email address?

Not to my knowledge, Pimg.

Well not last November, and I did mention internet would be good for bookings and business.

Reckon Bee is a bit conservative.

Lotta time yet, but will appreciate info once you are able.

Last year she banned Come On girls stopping over, dunno why, just On's.

Yes, no problems, I'll check it out for you. Ever thought about staying somewhere that is at least within a camel's (make that elephant's) ride to civilisation, such as Kata or Karon? Why base yourself at the r's end of the island? I know you like the quiet down there, but you'd have more action if you pitched a tent in the middle of the Gobi desert...

Yes, no problems, I'll check it out for you. Ever thought about staying somewhere that is at least within a camel's (make that elephant's) ride to civilisation, such as Kata or Karon? Why base yourself at the r's end of the island? I know you like the quiet down there, but you'd have more action if you pitched a tent in the middle of the Gobi desert...

Haaaaaaa, Kata and Karon are just up the road and lots more avaricious.

Just comfortable in laid back Chalong as you are in Patong...... and I do have family in Chalong.

Loy Krathong there, much more fun too, what with the pier etc..

Gunna have my gal with me, and wanna give her a good look around.

Guess we will hop on a tuk tuk elephant and go to Patong for a few nites.

Better off to get a songthaew from where you are, and you and your lady could always do an overnighter or two at my (rental) place to save you a quid on accom (there's a spare bedroom). Other option is to organise to come back with me to Patong on one of the occasions that we have a few drinks at On's. Have you considered renting a car - even if only for a few days - so that you can show your lady the sights?

Better off to get a songthaew from where you are, and you and your lady could always do an overnighter or two at my (rental) place to save you a quid on accom (there's a spare bedroom). Other option is to organise to come back with me to Patong on one of the occasions that we have a few drinks at On's. Have you considered renting a car - even if only for a few days - so that you can show your lady the sights?

Ping, ta for the offer, lotsa time, but will certainly, seriously keep it in mind.

My thoughts are to be in Chalong for L.K. and move up to Patong and leave for Bangers from there.

Weather permitting I will borrow a scooter and trip around locally, Rawai, Nai Harn, over the hills to Kata, not a fan of Karon.

I love skutering around on Phuket, neva do it here at home, get kilt soon as.......LOL

Every time I go to Patong it RAINS, neva fails.

No songthaew from Chalong to Patong, have to go thru' Phuket Town.

Edited by Zpete

Yes, aware of the songthaew situation - but you are not all that far from Phuket Town. I was thinking that if you were going to cab or tuk tuk it to Patong, you would be better off to get either a songtaew or tuk tuk to Phuket Town and then get a songthaew out from there- far cheaper and a slow, steady, interesting trip (provided you only do it once or twice).

As to the rain in Patong - yes I know. It never rains in sunny Chalong, but pours in Patong. 555

The rain actually starts easing up towards the end of October/early November, so it should be okay for Loy Krathong.

I'm heading off to Patong in July and coming back January. Couldn't get the house I wanted, but I couldn't believe it when I saw the photo of the place I ended up getting instead. There was just a thin slice of the house next door to it in the photo and I recognised it... Sure enough, the one I'm renting this year is directly next door to the one I've been renting in the past years! (Unfortunately, not at the same reasonable rate - a third dearer.)

I've got a ship load of stuff I have to organise before I go, so I won't be on the net all that frequently. However, I'm taking the notebook with me again and will see what sort of Internet arrangements I can make over there this year - I may even buy an air card. In any event, if I can't get something for the notebook, I'll check TV out every three or four days at an I-cafe.

I'm thinking of doing the visa run this year in a bit more upmarket style - Firefly direct to Penang return and spend a couple of days in Georgetown. Firefly got a few brand new ATR turboprops earlier this year, so they should be comfortable flights (about an hour fifteen - almost as long as a jet takes to get to SIN, but it should be a pleasant experience). Airfares are very low but taxes, fees etc are hot - especially from the Phuket end. The mini bus run is a killer, so it's worth the extra quids to avoid it.

Re you flying direct - have you considered the alternatives of KUL or SIN? Flight changes both ways, of course, but at least you could avoid BKK and not have to retrace your path (HKT - BKK - then doubling back past HKT to go to PER)?