General Discussion

Ping

Yes, aware of the songthaew situation - but you are not all that far from Phuket Town. I was thinking that if you were going to cab or tuk tuk it to Patong, you would be better off to get either a songtaew or tuk tuk to Phuket Town and then get a songthaew out from there- far cheaper and a slow, steady, interesting trip (provided you only do it once or twice).

As to the rain in Patong - yes I know. It never rains in sunny Chalong, but pours in Patong. 555

The rain actually starts easing up towards the end of October/early November, so it should be okay for Loy Krathong.

I'm heading off to Patong in July and coming back January. Couldn't get the house I wanted, but I couldn't believe it when I saw the photo of the place I ended up getting instead. There was just a thin slice of the house next door to it in the photo and I recognised it... Sure enough, the one I'm renting this year is directly next door to the one I've been renting in the past years! (Unfortunately, not at the same reasonable rate - a third dearer.)

I've got a ship load of stuff I have to organise before I go, so I won't be on the net all that frequently. However, I'm taking the notebook with me again and will see what sort of Internet arrangements I can make over there this year - I may even buy an air card. In any event, if I can't get something for the notebook, I'll check TV out every three or four days at an I-cafe.

I'm thinking of doing the visa run this year in a bit more upmarket style - Firefly direct to Penang return and spend a couple of days in Georgetown. Firefly got a few brand new ATR turboprops earlier this year, so they should be comfortable flights (about an hour fifteen - almost as long as a jet takes to get to SIN, but it should be a pleasant experience). Airfares are very low but taxes, fees etc are hot - especially from the Phuket end. The mini bus run is a killer, so it's worth the extra quids to avoid it.

Re you flying direct - have you considered the alternatives of KUL or SIN? Flight changes both ways, of course, but at least you could avoid BKK and not have to retrace your path (HKT - BKK - then doubling back past HKT to go to PER)?

Ping/Zpete,

This is turning into a 2 way dialogue between two obvious buddies, which is great, rather than some form of open discussion/debate. Maybe you guys can take this off line and email each other direct, rather than the rest of the TV audience starting to feel like spectators at a tennis match.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ping/Zpete,

This is turning into a 2 way dialogue between two obvious buddies, which is great, rather than some form of open discussion/debate. Maybe you guys can take this off line and email each other direct, rather than the rest of the TV audience starting to feel like spectators at a tennis match.

Leave ‘em alone, we don’t get ‘Neighbours’ on the telly any more…heh, heh….

Mind you, 450 posts and they didn’t get sent out of the classroom even once…I dunno, blinking favouritism if you ask me...

Maybe Zpete and Ping are the same person and they're just getting to know each other :)

Dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a single person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities (known as alter egos or alters), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment.

WAAAAAAAAAY BACK, summun complained about PING and I posting personal sorta stuff.

Ping started this fred and who cares who reads it.

I realise many people seem to have a fixation keeping up with our ramblings.

Who cares, 20,269 ppl to date, are enjoying the "Ping and Pete Show".....

That many readers would satisfy any magazine editor.

Amuses me immensley, the thred falls off a cupla pages, no posts till Ping or I pull it to the front again.

To me, that many people opening this page and saying nuffi, must be sad and bored,,,,,,,,<deleted>

Maybe some have even been into "Come On Bar" to have a drink and check it out.

I will be there end of Oct early Nov, introduce yerselves, cheers........... and buy me one.

Pigs mite fly......... hahahaha.

As to why we post here, dunno about Ping, but I can check back on previous posts so easy, a hassle with PMs and Emails.

Ping, only Thai gives direct flites, No hassles changing dates, booking fave seat, Thai is consistently cheaper and food is the best........heapsa RO miles too.

Found out over all, AKL - BKK - HKT is quickest and less hassles.

I love Swampy, great airport.

Ping, it seems no one has stumbled across our secret code yet.

Good point, Handbags! And nicely put, Pete. We'll let everyone know when we have a sip at On's bar (I reckon there should be in a drink in it for me as well).

Sir Burr & Billy, a special welcome to our stable of regular readers/occasional contributors. :)

Pete - I've never been through Swampy (only Don Muang). Seems I'll have to go through there to get to Vientiane when I ultimately make my pilgrimage through Laos and back down through Isaan. Who cares about the occasional mobbing by demonstrators, terminal fire or cracked/potholed runway... TiT

Hi Old Shoes.........LOL

How are your joints these days, not the wakky ones either?

Any chance we may meet up this year?

Ping, do not be influenced by the parrotted garbage criticising Swampy.

It is about the easiest major airport around to navigate.

That will have the crap hitting the fan, and not the hooman kind.........hahahaha.

Dunno how you will arrive, if Air Asia or some other LCC, then you will most likely be bussed to the main terminal, better than walking miles........ and miles along passages to immigration.

If ya have to wait around awhile for another flight, lemme know I will give ya a few bits of info to make ya stay a lil easier.

BTW, is there any way of checking how many times an individual visits any particular thread?

Myself, I doubt it, but ya neva know, thinking on Sir Burr's comment.........LOL

No, Sir Burr was just having a friendly dig.

As to Vientiane, I haven't looked at the carriers yet. I've been meaning to do it for a few years, but have never got around to it (there's an invitation for someone to post a pic of a round tuit). I will do the trip after I finally get permanently settled at Phuket - hopefully next year.

Hi Old Shoes.........LOL

How are your joints these days, not the wakky ones either?

Any chance we may meet up this year?

G'day Pete. Joints are not enjoying the freezing weather we're having where I am, I should be enjoying the "Summer" in Phuket at the moment. :D

Plans still a bit up in the air with a few things to settle, but I do own a cheapy Air Asia ticket to get there 7 Nov. Hope I get to use it. :D

If you lot are still around then we'll catch up. After reading so much of this thread I've just got to visit the Cum On bar and also see what's happening with the "circle"! :)

I've just got to visit the Cum On bar and also see what's happening with the "circle"! :)

You are going to be severely disappointed with the Come On bar.

I have never been to the Come On bar but last year I sold my pickup to a Swiss guy who always frequented the bar as his preference for that area. Mind you there is a lot more choice now than last year.

I've just got to visit the Cum On bar and also see what's happening with the "circle"! :)

You are going to be severely disappointed with the Come On bar.

…well, don’t keep us all in suspense, what’s the craic with this bar?

Is it a theme place, or a chutney ferret hang-out, or chocka with tasty lass’s that don’t look like Chairman Mao with chronic piles, or summut else? :D

The girls specialize in "older gentleman".

Well Pete's half way there! :)

Waddaya mean 'half way'?

Well there, to me it is my meeting place and I know most of the reg gals.

"On" herself is a great help for me when I am there.

As I have said before, it is small and comfy, laid back, zootz me fine.

I get everything there, booze, gals and hire me a scooter to take me gal where ever.

"ON" puts on quite a feed for Loy Krathong to show appreciation to her regs, great lady.

"EH", my hairdresser etc, next door, what more do I want, all at reasonable cost.

Edit 4 spell check.

Wish spell check would work as one typs........grrrrr

Edited by Zpete

On's is typical of the half a dozen bars in the pier road - all very basic bars, but friendly enough. The staff certainly do not need to carry any proof of age documents...

Billy, I think the major appeal to Pete of On's bar is that it is directly opposite his usual accomm (about 20 yards door to door).

On's is typical of the half a dozen bars in the pier road - all very basic bars, but friendly enough. The staff certainly do not need to carry any proof of age documents...

Billy, I think the major appeal to Pete of On's bar is that it is directly opposite his usual accomm (about 20 yards door to door).

Would have to disagree wif ya there Ping.

A few of the gals over the years there, would just make it.

Experience counts and I knowz........LOL

ON dun let her youngies off with old guys like you and ?????...... hahahaha

Edited by Zpete

Well, Ping, you know better than that........ grrrrrrrrrr.

I have posted pix here a number of times,

Oldest and bestest performer (sic) will be 46 now.

Afraid I am unable to perform as yet, still on BIG C drugs.

Anyways my gal will be with me this trip........ :)

NO PENSIONERS AMONG DEM GALS.

Just grumbling.....

1) I will never understand, why my stepmother store insecticide sprays, shampoos, dettol antiseptics with packets of breadcrumbs, pre packaged cakes & cookies with chinese tea. On the short cabinent tops, onto the fridge, in the drawers or on the shelves. Why not just designate certain shelves to only keep the doggie grooming stuff, poisons and chemical products away from edible stuff? Its not as if there isnt enough spaces.

2) We have broadband/cable. No? So why does she have to shut down the laptop and the internet connection whenever she thinks I am not working or using it. Actual fact, I was waiting for the laptop to finish uploading onto websites, and since I keep myself busy with maybe just writing or walking to see the plants/garden while its uploading.......she shuts them stuff off.

3) Why.....there is like 6 printers, scanners, fax machines to two horrid desktop? Most of them are just lying at the side, not used. Even the desktop is hardly used.

4) And why is the wireless router turned on, when the desktops used cable and even the laptop used cable??????

5) When we talk about dieting.....we eat less as well as eating less of those high calories stuff like egg yolks,coconut cream desserts and deep fried pork skins.......their idea of dieting is taking weight loss tea but eating everything that contains high fat, starch and sugar.

On another issue.

I was thinking that real english fiction books are hard to come by in Phuket. Is there any chance we can start a book exchange program. That those books we finished reading, can be donated to each other and then the schools for other people's reading pleasure?

On another issue.

I was thinking that real english fiction books are hard to come by in Phuket. Is there any chance we can start a book exchange program. That those books we finished reading, can be donated to each other and then the schools for other people's reading pleasure?

VK74 there is a pretty good 2nd hand bookshop in Phuket town that gives a trade in on old books. P.M. me if you need to know where.