Thai Tour Bus Packed With Russians Crashes, Two Dead

Jai Dee

Thai tour bus packed with Russians crashes, two dead

A bus taking a group of Russian tourists from Thailand's Pattaya beach resort to the capital, Bangkok, crashed and overturned on the Motorway Wednesday, killing two people and injuring 11, police and hospital sources said.

The accident occurred shortly after 10 am local time on the Pattaya-Bangkok Motorway near Suvarnabhumi Airport, said Highway Police Lieutenant-Colonel Chartchai Kuanjai.

"There was heavy rainfall at the time of the accident," said Chartchai. "The bus driver apparently collided with a car and then the bus overturned on its side."

One Russian tourist, a woman, died at the scene of the accident, Chartchai confirmed. Another died en route to hospital.

Nine tourists were admitted to Samitivej Srinakkarin Hospital, where one was listed in serious condition, and two others were sent to Chulalat Hospital, hospital official confirmed.

The tour bus, belonging to the Sermyon Tour company, was reportedly taking the Russian tourists to visit Wat Phra Keow (The Emerald Buddha) Temple in Bangkok.

Pattaya, a beach resort situated about 100 kilometres east of Bangkok, has become a popular destination for Russian tourists over the past decade.

Source: DPA - 27 February 2008

Geez....Had dinner and met several Russian tourists at the restaurant in Pattaya just last night... obviously they and us were both unaware of the accident that morning.

Condolences to all those affected by yet another bus tragedy.

Остальные в мире (rest in peace)

Edited by sriracha john

The driver fled the scene.

Truth or assumption ??

Truth or assumption ??

Dictum or adage?

Odds

I am always saddened when innocent people die in accidents that they can have no control over.

Whether the driver managed to flee is moot, as it seems to be standard procedure in most cases I've read about.

The big question is "Was he driving recklessly given the road and weather conditions?". Surely there were many witnesses, maybe drivers that he had passed, that could indicate whether he was speeding.

R.I.P. :o

Russian tourists reported dead in Thai bus crash

A number of Russian tourists may have been killed in a road accident in Thailand on Wednesday, a Russian Embassy spokesman said.

"A bus carrying Russian tourists from Pattaya to Bangkok was involved in a serious road accident. There were around 40 tourists on board the bus. Preliminary reports indicate there may have been deaths. Some injured tourists have been sent to local hospitals," Alexei Bulkin said.

An assistance center has been set up at the Russian Embassy in Bangkok, with diplomats on round-the-clock duty.

A request for assistance in investigating the circumstances of the crash has also been submitted to the Thai Foreign Ministry.

Source: RIA Novosti - 27 February 2008

Two Russians dead in bus crash

A bus taking a group of Russian tourists from Pattaya beach to Bangkok crashed and overturned on the Chon Buri Motorway on Wednesday, killing two people and injuring 11, police and hospital sources said. The accident occurred shortly after 10 am local time close to Suvarnabhumi airport, said Highway Police Lt Col Chartchai Kuanjai.

"There was heavy rainfall at the time of the accident," said Chartchai. "The bus driver apparently collided with a car and then the bus overturned on its side." One Russian tourist, a woman, died at the scene of the accident, Chartchai confirmed. Another died en route to hospital.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

Truth or assumption ??

Truth or assumption ??

Dictum or adage?

Odds

If the driver is Thai, and he is a bus driver, then it's fair to assume he was driving recklessly. The fact that he crashed confirms it!

Russian tourist dies in road accident in Thailand

news_img_12415784_0006.jpg

A Russian tourist died in a road accident in Thailand on Wednesday, a Russian embassy official has told Itar-Tass. The number of victims is being specified.

The accident took place early on Wednesday. A driver of a travel bus en route from a resort town of Pattaya, Chonburi province, to Bangkok lost control on a road slippery after the rain. The bus slipped off the road and turned upside down.

A Russian diplomat left for the scene of the accident.

The embassy’s consular department is clarifying the details of the accident.

All those injured are provided with necessary medical assistance.

Source: Itar-Tass - 27 February 2008

I am sure I am not alone, but everyday for the last 3 months, I have been commuting to Amata from BKK and used the motorway all the time. To say the standard of driving on that VERY FAST road is poor would be a lie, its horrendous.

Every man and his dog are quite happy to use all lanes available including the hard shoulder. Just to see the wrecks at the service centre is enough to sober one up quickly. but it appears some people dont take any notice of mangled cars etc.

I could go on and on but what the heck nothing will change, and just for the record, I have seen Farangs driving badly, not just Thais

I am sure I am not alone, but everyday for the last 3 months, I have been commuting to Amata from BKK and used the motorway all the time. To say the standard of driving on that VERY FAST road is poor would be a lie, its horrendous.

Every man and his dog are quite happy to use all lanes available including the hard shoulder. Just to see the wrecks at the service centre is enough to sober one up quickly. but it appears some people dont take any notice of mangled cars etc.

I could go on and on but what the heck nothing will change, and just for the record, I have seen Farangs driving badly, not just Thais

Infectious road viruses.

Two tourists killed and 22 injured in road accident

LAT KRABANG: -- A tour bus transporting Russian tourists from Pattaya to visit Bangkok's Temple of Emerald Buddha on Wednesday morning overturned, killing two women and injuring 22 others.

The accident took place on the inbound Bangkok - Chon Buri motorway in Lat Krabang district at 10am. Rescue workers retrieved two dead bodies from the scene and rushed 22 injured people to nearby hospitals.

Bus driver Somjit Saleephan, 40, said that, as there was heavy rain earlier, he drove at medium speed on the left lane, when suddenly a puck-up truck on the right cut in front of him so he hit the brake. This sent the bus to collide with a roadside cement fence and overturned several times.

Srisak Prathumrangsi, 42, who arranged the group tour said that this group with 38 Russian tourists had left Pattaya since 7am to visit Bangkok but had an accident on the way.

Later officials from the Russian Embassy in Thailand went to the scene and talked to the tourists there and arranged a bus to transport them to the Highway Police Bureau along with the tour guide to give testimony. Police also charged Somjit for reckless driving causing others' death.

-- The Nation 2008-02-27

Don't know where you got that picture from, but that's not of the bus that crashed this morning. I drove past the accident maybe 10-15 minutes after it happend, and they were still pulling victims out of the buss. Huge pile up of traffic behind as the bus was laying across 3 lanes. Another related accident also happend about 500 meters before where a Honda Jazz smashed into a pickup truck totally destroying the Jazz (obviously the driver wasn't paying attention to the traffic ahead). It seemed that the guys from that accident were ok as they were standing by the roadside.

The road was very wet as it had just rained heavily, so I'm sure this contributed to the accident.

Tompa

Russian tourist dies in road accident in Thailand

news_img_12415784_0006.jpg

A Russian tourist died in a road accident in Thailand on Wednesday, a Russian embassy official has told Itar-Tass. The number of victims is being specified.

The accident took place early on Wednesday. A driver of a travel bus en route from a resort town of Pattaya, Chonburi province, to Bangkok lost control on a road slippery after the rain. The bus slipped off the road and turned upside down.

A Russian diplomat left for the scene of the accident.

The embassy’s consular department is clarifying the details of the accident.

All those injured are provided with necessary medical assistance.

Source: Itar-Tass - 27 February 2008

No, I didn't see this but there were huge amount of rescue cars and police cars around. I did however see another big accident just after this one but on the other side of the road. It looked like 3-4 cars were involved in that one (they were pulled up on an exit road) with some pretty sever damage done. Not a good stretch of road to be on this morning!

Tompa

Tompa did you notice the crash about 20m infront of the bus, pick up tailended about 3 others

Geez....Had dinner and met several Russian tourists at the restaurant in Pattaya just last night... obviously they and us were both unaware of the accident that morning.

Thank you for your solidarity, John. "Rip" in Russian - "Покойся в мире". "Остальные" means "others"

Thank you for your solidarity, John. "Rip" in Russian - "Покойся в мире". "Остальные" means "others"

Two Russian tourists killed in bus accident on motorway

BANGKOK: -- At least two Russian tourists were killed Wednesday in suburban Bangkok's Lat Krabang district when a chartered tour bus hit a roadside barrier before overturning on the Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway.

The coach packed with 38 Russian holidaymakers was enroute from Pattaya to the Grand Palace in central Bangkok.

Dozens of injured persons were sent to four different hospitals.

The accident was caused by the slippery road conditions after morning downpour, according to local police.

After the incident the bus driver fled the scene and is still at large.

--TNA 2008-02-27

Two Russian tourists killed in bus accident on motorway

BANGKOK: -- At least two Russian tourists were killed Wednesday in suburban Bangkok's Lat Krabang district when a chartered tour bus hit a roadside barrier before overturning on the Bangkok-Chonburi Motorway.

The coach packed with 38 Russian holidaymakers was enroute from Pattaya to the Grand Palace in central Bangkok.

Dozens of injured persons were sent to four different hospitals.

The accident was caused by the slippery road conditions after morning downpour, according to local police.

After the incident the bus driver fled the scene and is still at large.

--TNA 2008-02-27

Told ya :o