Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samak insists just one died in Oct 6 uprising

I think in the next 5 years from now we might see something like...

Thaksin insists just one died in War on drug (funny, but I think some of TV members will really believe this one :D )

and

Thaksin insists just one died in Tak Bai

Did I see some pattern here? :o

If you think that is scary look at this

Bangkok University poll: Thais happy with PM

(BangkokPost.com) – Samak Sundaravej may be widely thought of being ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra’s lapdog, but Thailand’s new prime minister seems to have the majority of the public’s trust.

A Bangkok University poll disclosed that 50 per cent of respondents are happy with the Samak administration while only 35 percent are dissatisfied. 15 percent of those questioned preferred not to comment.

And only just days of being in office, marks out of ten are already being given out to cabinet ministers.

Most people believe deputy prime minister and commerce minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan is a star performer so far, followed by industry minister Suwit Khunkitti and prime minister and defence minister Samak Sundaravej.

The public has the least faith in interior minister Chalerm Yubamroong. He scored a lowly 4.7 out of 10.

Maj Gen Sanan Kajornprasart did slightly better with 4.84 points while natural resources and environment minister Anongwan Thepsuthin got a respectable 4.9 points.

Poll Shows Low Expectations of Samak's Cabinet

A Bangkok Poll has surveyed the public about the new Cabinet and found that most don't believe this Cabinet will be able to solve corruption problems and the violence in the south. Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung received the lowest rating of all the Cabinet members.

A poll by Bangkok University surveyed the public about the new Cabinet, with half saying they're satisfied and 35 percent saying they're not, while 15 percent had no comment.

The top three ministers the public have faith in are Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Mingkwan Saengsuwan, Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Suwit Khunkitti, and Prime Minister and Defense Minister Samak Sundaravej.

The three ministers with the lowest scores are Natural Resources and Environment Minister Anongwan Thepsutin, Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kajornprasart, and Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung.

Many people don't have much faith in Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, with 48.7 percent saying they don't expect much will come from him and 41.6 percent saying they expect he'll do a lot.

On the various problems that Thailand is facing, such as the unrest in the south, corruption, and the slowing economy, most people surveyed do not believe the new government will be able to solve the problems.

Most people want the government to tackle economic problems, followed by the southern unrest, and the higher costs of living and debts.

On the Democrat's Shadow Cabinet, about a third agree with it, while about 20 percent don't, and nearly half did not give an opinion.

Thailand Outlook Channel

It would seem, very understandably so, that a lot of people will just not let this go unnoticed...

1976 UPRISING

PM under attack for distortion

Irate activists plan to hit back at Samak over CNN remarks

A group of activists from uprisings in the 1970s yesterday condemned Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for "distorting the truth" about the October 6, 1976 massacre at Thammasat University.

A meeting was called by Amorn Amornrattananont, former Secretary of the Student Federation of Thailand, at the October 14 Monument, to discuss retaliation against Samak for claiming in an interview with CNN that only one person had died during the drama.

The group alleged Samak, then a veteran politician with an ultra-conservative record, was involved in inciting right-wing mobs into believing students protesting at Thammasat were Vietnamese communists who wanted to destroy the country's revered institution.

They said the distortion created conflicts among Thais and led to the mowing down of at least 41 leftist students and activists in Bangkok on that tragic day.

They also distributed to the media copies of the list of victims prepared by the Attorney-General's Office after the event.

Dr Kusol Prawitpaiboon said he was a medical student who joined the protest on October 5 and clearly saw many bodies piled up on staircases of buildings at the university.

"There were also pictures as evidence. Samak is the country's leader: he shouldn't whitewash history. These people have families. How would they feel? I want him to be questioned and investigated," he said.

In an interview with CNN screened on February 9 and 10, Samak distanced himself from the controversial incident, saying he was just an outsider.

However, Thaweep Kanchanawong, who had joined the student uprising, said Samak played a major role in instigating opposition through a military radio channel.

"If there were no Samak, no Army radio station and others who stirred up hatred against the students, there would not have been any violence," he said. "There has never been killings as brutal as those on October 6," he said.

Udomsak Rattanachai said if Samak always warped the facts, some people could be willing to die to protect dignity."How can he be our country's leader when he distorts history?" He said his group was not demanding an apology from Samak but wanted society to know the truth.

Samak got angry on Tuesday when asked by a Government House reporter to confirm his statement only one person died in the massacre.

"The incident happened 31 years ago. I don't want to talk about it. Every time I say something about this, there's a quarrel. "If I had been involved, I would not have got all the support to come this far," he said.

- The Nation

Lets face facts, at the end of the day this government is just an outright joke but what more could you expect from the likes of the politicians elected mainly by bribing poorly educated farmers who are trying to survive day-to-day while the likes of the politicians in Thailand cream-off mega bucks in kickbacks and out and out thuggery.

When it comes down to it, it's not really worth wasting money on elections in this country - as nothing will change while the control is in the hands of the money elete (read crooks/gansters/thugs and those interested only in increasing their own wealth) and not the people of Thailand.

As Samak's mendacious debacle takes on bigger repercussions, involving other Cabinet ministers and broader issues, comes this post in another thread:

New Cabinet Appointed

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1817838

Chirmsak radio show shut down

Host disputed Samak's view of Oct 6 uprising

Edited by sriracha john

When it comes down to it, it's not really worth wasting money on elections in this country - as nothing will change while the control is in the hands of the money elete (read crooks/gansters/thugs and those interested only in increasing their own wealth) and not the people of Thailand.

And some thought that once the junta is removed, justice will be restored, democracy will prevail, and people will take power.

We haven't seen the worst of Thai "democracy" yet, but it's just around the corner, coming soon.

Does Samak really think that only one was killed? I think he knows better.

Does Samak really think that his comment would go unnoticed? I think he knows better.

The question remains: Why did he say this?

IMO Samaks denial is a defence mechanism, against feelings of guilt or shame over the Thammasat incident. And I think he somehow feels responsible but does not want to take responsibility.

Sooner or later the denial + intimidation combo will not work for him, hopefully at the hands of a tough, pointed western journalist.

I can see it now, samaks eyes bulging out of their sockets, lower lip trembling with rage, roaring obsenities in broken english, spittle going everywhere, perhaps even farting at a crucial moment... :o

Well, these are the people that those in the northeast wanted in power to represent them. You may not like them, but these are the ones that they liked. Why would you not give them the right to make this choice? Only because you disagree with it?

And some thought that once the junta is removed, justice will be restored, democracy will prevail, and people will take power.

We haven't seen the worst of Thai "democracy" yet, but it's just around the corner, coming soon.

:o

I can't imagine what they did consume....!

And I am afraid the show goes on and yes, you are very close to the truth with the last sentence!

As Samak's mendacious debacle takes on bigger repercussions, involving other Cabinet ministers and broader issues, comes this post in another thread:

New Cabinet Appointed

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1817838

Chirmsak radio show shut down

Host disputed Samak's view of Oct 6 uprising

This really depressed me. Though I don't know why I bother to have emotions / thoughts on this subject...

Step 1 - Lie to the nth degree regardless of easily accessable proof to the contary.

Step 2 - Ban / stop anyone that questions your lies.

Step 3 - ?

Specifically, a free media is so very important for this country.

Does Samak really think that his comment would go unnoticed? I think he knows better.

IMO Samaks denial is a defence mechanism, against feelings of guilt or shame over the Thammasat incident. And I think he somehow feels responsible but does not want to take responsibility.

Sooner or later the denial + intimidation combo will not work for him, hopefully at the hands of a tough, pointed western journalist.

I can see it now, samaks eyes bulging out of their sockets, lower lip trembling with rage, roaring obsenities in broken english, spittle going everywhere, perhaps even farting at a crucial moment... :o

Sorry but I do not share your faith about hiding guilt.

He feels no guilt at all and neither do any of those involved in 76 or 92 - they still justify it.

A analogy would be with the treatment of POW's by the Japanese - you are below them for being in the position you are in and might is right.

Shame would only come about from loss of face over it - not for any reasons of being part of sadistic abhorrent acts.

Some would say this is the nasty side of "Asian Values"

I can see it now, samaks eyes bulging out of their sockets, lower lip trembling with rage, roaring obsenities in broken english, spittle going everywhere, perhaps even farting at a crucial moment... :D

If you look closely at Part 2 of the Al Jazeera interview, he belches at 1 minute 29 seconds. :o

Of course he did not apologize.

I hope the AL Jazeera team did not edit out the belch following his aggressive behavior towards the interviewer, showing the pig that he is.

I agree, he definitely doesn't feel guilty, in his opinion stopping those nasty communist sympatisers was necessary.

He'll stop being himself if one day he regrets killing those students. That incindent defines him more than anything else in his life.

He feels no guilt at all and neither do any of those involved in 76 or 92 - they still justify it.

A analogy would be with the treatment of POW's by the Japanese - you are below them for being in the position you are in and might is right.

Shame would only come about from loss of face over it - not for any reasons of being part of sadistic abhorrent acts.

I agree, he definitely doesn't feel guilty, in his opinion stopping those nasty communist sympatisers was necessary.

He'll stop being himself if one day he regrets killing those students. That incindent defines him more than anything else in his life.

Fair points. but Then why go to all the trouble to deny the deaths ? Something is playing on his mind.

Edited by traveller5000

If you look closely at Part 2 of the Al Jazeera interview, he belches at 1 minute 29 seconds. :o

Of course he did not apologize.

I hope the AL Jazeera team did not edit out the belch following his aggressive behavior towards the interviewer, showing the pig that he is.

Yes I noticed that open belch and lack of apology, and now that I think of it, not a trace of shame/guilt afterwards.

Then why go to all the trouble to deny the deaths ? Something is playing on his mind.

This is obvious. Samak has always wanted to be PM and now that he has attained this lofty position, the last thing he wants to do is listen to people saying he is only a nominee for Thaksin and doesn't deserve to be PM because of his past. He doesn't want to discuss the past or how much influence Thaksin has on him. He just wants to look forward. This is why he continually reminds people of all the votes and support he has received. Baiting him in interviews will always have the same result.

The real issue now is what this government is going to do going forward.

Then why go to all the trouble to deny the deaths ? Something is playing on his mind.

This is obvious. Samak has always wanted to be PM and now that he has attained this lofty position, the last thing he wants to do is listen to people saying he is only a nominee for Thaksin and doesn't deserve to be PM because of his past. He doesn't want to discuss the past or how much influence Thaksin has on him. He just wants to look forward. This is why he continually reminds people of all the votes and support he has received. Baiting him in interviews will always have the same result.

Yes, a sort of "you ask questions I don't like and ill respond in ways that you don't like" type of tactic. At all costs.

It would be funny if he brought an X symbol to his next interview instead.

Even more international media backlash...

Premier's fib reflects Thailand's history of denial

Bangkok - Thailand's newly elected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has kicked off his premiership with a bold statement of historical untruth that has sparked concerns about press freedom and raised larger questions about Thai society's culture of denial.

Samak, 72, a 40-year veteran to Thailand's political scene, was appointed the country's 25th prime minister on January 28, and named a new cabinet on February 6.

It was a controversial choice, given Samak's reputation as a right-wing rabble rouser in the 1970s when the country was deeply split during a brief flirtation with liberalism that ended in a military crackdown in 1976.

But in a interview with CNN's Talk Asia program televised last weekend, Samak flatly denied accusations that he had played a key role in fanning the ideological flames that led to a brutal attack on students at Thammasat University on October 6, 1976, an incident that is still remembered as one of the blackest days in the kingdom's recent history.

"I deny the whole thing. I had nothing to do with it at all," Samak told CNN's Dan Rivers. More astonishingly, he went on the claim that only one person died in the incident, although even a government investigation acknowledged that at least 46 people had been killed.

The denials have not surprised Samak's many detractors.

"He's a big liar," said prominent social critic Sulak Sivaraksa. "He has no shame and no sense of guilt. A perfect prime minister."

Samak's flat denial of historical fact, however, outraged many former student activists who survived the October 6, 1976, incident, a group of whom on Wednesday protested Samak's statement and offered proof that the massacre was no fairy tale.

On the same day, former Bangkok Senator Chirmsak Pinthong used his radio talk show to read a transcript from a speech by Samak, who was then Interior Minister, to Thai students in France in 1977, in which he admitted that 48 people died in the October 6 crackdown.

Chirmsak later had to resign his job as talk show host after the radio station reportedly received a complaint from Jakrapob Penkair, newly appointed Minister to the Prime Minister's Office, about the program's content.

Although Jakrapob has denied he engineered Chirmsak's resignation, both Samak and Jakrapob have been sending worrying signals about the future of Thailand's press freedom since they came to office.

Jakrapob is a close ally to ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who during his two terms in office between 2001 to 2006 did much to undermine Thailand's press freedom.

Upon assuming office, Jakrapob announced that his priority task would be to review the setting up of the Thai Public Broadcasting Service (TPBS), the country's first public television station tasked to produce quality programmes with an independent source of funding from a percentage skimmed off "sin taxes" on liquor and tobacco sales.

Samak has also raised questions about the TPBS, and suggested the establishment of an "independent" TV station with private funding.

There is little doubt that the real worry is that TPBS will prove too independent of the government and may even dare to be critical of the government's performance.

"It's only an authoritarian government that expects state media to be pro-government media," said Sunai Pasuk, the Thailand representative for Human Rights Watch.

Although the HRW was critical of the military coup of September 19, 2006, that ousted Thaksin and his crew, it is being equally watchful of the democratically elected Samak-led government that is openly pro-Thaksin and filled with Thaksin nominees.

Thaksin, although popularly elected, had a poor record in protecting human rights and was widely criticized for undermining democratic institutions, including the free press.

For some historians, this tendancy of past Thai governments to trample press freedoms comes from a culture of deep denial that harks back to the Thai elite's refusal to acknowledge and be accountable for past atrocities such as the October 6, 1976 massacre and the more recent May, 1992, incident when troops gunned down scores of pro-democracy protesters on the streets of Bangkok.

"We had the October 6, 1976, event and then because we did not learn from history we had the bloody May, 1992, and I am afraid that we will run into something very nasty, very bloody again," said Thai historian Charnvit Kasetsiri, a lecturer at Thammasat University.

"I can't pinpoint when, but I think a kind of political tsunami is coming," he predicted.

- DPA

Just looking at the news today, I can see so far the government has not done anything for the people, but is franticly re-solidifying itself to pre coup strength. Class 10 coming back in to key spots and so on. I was not sure what thread to put it in so just a quick mention. It gives me the feel that if/when they are pushed out, they won’t go.

Just looking at the news today, I can see so far the government has not done anything for the people, but is franticly re-solidifying itself to pre coup strength. Class 10 coming back in to key spots and so on. I was not sure what thread to put it in so just a quick mention. It gives me the feel that if/when they are pushed out, they won’t go.

How do you mean pushed out?

How do you mean pushed out?

The situation of getting dissolved that is looking more and more likely by the day, that certainly would qualify. Also any other legal means found in the new constitution like term limits and so on.

Even more international media backlash...

Premier's fib reflects Thailand's history of denial

Samak Sundaravej has kicked off his premiership with a bold statement of historical untruth ...

and yet more:

What was Samak thinking?

The comments to CNN represent not just terrible judgment, but also a blind dogmatism that hardly bodes well for democracy in a still deeply divided country. Just a few weeks into his term, Samak is already proving his staunchest critics right.

oct-6pic999.jpg

Oct 6 people angry at PM's CNN interview

Samak's atonement

this very dark spot in our historical past has never been straightened out. More than 30 years have passed, but still not much is known about who did what that finally led to the gruesome butchery? Who committed the actual crime of killing? And who were behind them?

In case you missed it, there was an interview with Al Jazeera at about the same time. Samak said basically the same things - only one person died, bla bla bla, and used his trademark "How old are you? Were you born yet" questions on a female reporter, he also told her she should do her homework before asking him these questions and he was practically dragged off the air after that.

In case you missed it, there was an interview with Al Jazeera at about the same time. Samak said basically the same things - only one person died, bla bla bla, and used his trademark "How old are you? Were you born yet" questions on a female reporter, he also told her she should do her homework before asking him these questions and he was practically dragged off the air after that.

I actually I did miss it. I did see the interview, but never saw where he was practically dragged off the air after the interview. Where did you see that?

The feeling that was necessary goes to places we can not talk about here.

I certainly talked about it last night to some Thai's here in Singapore though - I can say it all here to them but they think I see only the bad things about Thailand - denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Thing is though my mates GF and a couple of others have not heard of Hok Tua or Black May (or they are telling lies) - the whitewash goes deep

I saw it and so did a Thai with me - they had never seen those pictures before and would not beleive at first it was at Thammasat

Mother nature will not be turned back and after that many of Thailands dirty little secrests may come out in the wash

I saw it and so did a Thai with me - they had never seen those pictures before and would not beleive at first it was at Thammasat

Mother nature will not be turned back and after that many of Thailands dirty little secrests may come out in the wash

While certainly conclusions cannot be drawn from just one person, out of curiosity, was this Thai person a young adult or an older adult?