Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

"Sinful sex" episode happened during a press-conference, not a one on one interview, and it wasn't personal either - Samak is holding a public post that comes with public responsibilities. He can't just clam up until every reporter in this country discloses his or her sexual history.

Chownah, elsewhere you argued that its not illegal to be a nominee or a proxy and that taking advice from banned politicians is nothing to be ashamed of.

Here you say that Samak couldn't answer a question about Newin's advice as it would be politically suicidal.

I think the only logic you follow is to oppose everyone else no matter what.

>>>

Banmeagain, people got banned for behaving like uncivilised baboons, not for their political views, though there's correlation, evidently.

No one in this country wants to bring 1976 up in the open, but by electing Samak as a PM people just did that. Every foreign reporter feels its absolutely necessary to ask questions about his role in those events, they need to show where he is coming from.

Blatant denials and outright lies only complicate the matter. If Samak had any intellegence he would have found a way to keep this issue under the rug. I think "delusional" desribes his present state far better than "intellegent".

And Samak's performance on Al Jazeera can't be described as intellegent in any way either. He came across as a low life thug with bad manners and absolutely no sense of propriety. The interviewer was clearly taken aback by his rudeness and I bet he was very close to being cut off and replaced by commercials.

Public reaction was very predictable, people were left with no choice. Will it result in complete overhaul of how society remembers it and how it teaches its yongsters? Certainly not, but sitting idly and watching Samak making it even worse is not an option either.

And people who asking why everyone has started thinking of 1976 only now and why Democrats have beed silent and so on - these people haven't been doing anything to educate the public either. How long can you rely solely on Thongchai's book and Jon's memories? Why nothing worth mentioning has been written in the past three decades? What right do they have to critisize others for being silent?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clever as a block of wood... When asked a serious question regarding the governing of this land and possible illegal manuevers... he counters with...
He erupted after being asked whether Newin Chidchob and Sudarat Keyuraphan, two top members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, had helped him in compiling the PPP's party-list candidates, a possible violation of the electoral ban.

Using Pali, the sacred language of Buddhism, to bite back at the question that struck a nerve, Samak asked if one of the Siam Rath reporters had had sinful sex the night before.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1661735

It's no wonder then that....

His penchant for vulgarity has earned Samak the nickname "Dog Mouth"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1777531

Yeah, he did demonstrate cleverness in his reply!!!! mostly its blocks of wood that can't see this. She asked an embarassing and easily denyable question so rather than answering he turned the tables on her and asked the same!!!.....the result was a standoff....as expected. Really, think about it....isn't a journalist just a bit lacking in abilities to basically ask, "did you or did you not do something last night which could have you thrown in jail and your political party disbanded?"....which is in effect what she did......would you expect anyone to answer such a question if it was posed in a public interview?...I wouldn't.....its called a "setup".

Chownah

It might be more rewarding to ponder why you are alone in this assessment of yours for this situation.

Obviusly it is the company I keep on this thread!!!

Chownah

The comment covers not only this thread, this forum, or any other forum...it extends further to local media, international media, any blogging on the topic, or any verbal discussions of the issue.

I've not seen or heard a single assessment or opinion expressed, anywhere, on this situation that mirrors yours in which Samak comes out on the positive side and deserving of praise.

Yes, there are whiners ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! Whiners can be found in local media (gawd I guess!!!),international media, blogs, and in discussions. Do you think that I expected to get any agreement here...that certainly would be the height of delusion don't you think? I express my opinions even if I expect no agreement....do you only express opinions that you think others will find agreeable...or in your case perhaps I should ask do you only make comments that CERTAIN people will find DISAGREEABLE? Me, I'm a simpleton...I post my opinions here and don't even expect or consider that they will be agreeable or disagreeable...by and large they are just things that I think should be said.

Chownah

I suggest that you do a bit more thinking about what I say before replying. I did not say that it would be politically suicidal to answer the question....in fact I said that it was easily deniable.......he could have simply denied it......what I was talking about and what was the point of my post (which you seem to have missed) is that the type of question and the way it was posed was a setup...because it was easily deniable even if he denied it the journalists could say..."he denied it...of course talk is cheap and it is easy for him to deny it"....and if he didn't deny it then they could go on with their wild journalistic spinning based on their self serving interpretation of what his answer might mean....it was a setup so he declined to answer it....instead he posed his own easily deniable setup to her...I'll agree that it was crude but I think it was also a very clever response in my opinionand showed his understanding of the journalistic process such as it is here in Thailand.....it has nothing to do with Samak's ability or inability to do or not do anything with the gov't....my comment is a non-issue....just like Samak's question is a non-issue....it is ridiculous that you guys keep bringing it up....it smacks of "shallow interpretation"...and even shallower follow through.

Chownah.

Clever as a block of wood... When asked a serious question regarding the governing of this land and possible illegal manuevers... he counters with...
He erupted after being asked whether Newin Chidchob and Sudarat Keyuraphan, two top members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, had helped him in compiling the PPP's party-list candidates, a possible violation of the electoral ban.

Using Pali, the sacred language of Buddhism, to bite back at the question that struck a nerve, Samak asked if one of the Siam Rath reporters had had sinful sex the night before.

Yeah, he did demonstrate cleverness in his reply!!!! mostly its blocks of wood that can't see this. She asked an embarassing and easily denyable question so rather than answering he turned the tables on her and asked the same!!!.....the result was a standoff....as expected. Really, think about it....isn't a journalist just a bit lacking in abilities to basically ask, "did you or did you not do something last night which could have you thrown in jail and your political party disbanded?"....which is in effect what she did......would you expect anyone to answer such a question if it was posed in a public interview?...I wouldn't.....its called a "setup".

Chownah

It might be more rewarding to ponder why you are alone in this assessment of yours for this situation.

Chownah

The comment covers not only this thread, this forum, or any other forum...it extends further to local media, international media, any blogging on the topic, or any verbal discussions of the issue.

I've not seen or heard a single assessment or opinion expressed, anywhere, on this situation that mirrors yours in which Samak comes out on the positive side and deserving of praise.

Yes, there are whiners ALL OVER THE WORLD!!!! Whiners can be found in local media (gawd I guess!!!),international media, blogs, and in discussions. Do you think that I expected to get any agreement here...that certainly would be the height of delusion don't you think? I express my opinions even if I expect no agreement....do you only express opinions that you think others will find agreeable...or in your case perhaps I should ask do you only make comments that CERTAIN people will find DISAGREEABLE? Me, I'm a simpleton...I post my opinions here and don't even expect or consider that they will be agreeable or disagreeable...by and large they are just things that I think should be said.

Chownah

Not sure I understand what you're referring to when you bring whining into the discussion. I was only describing that on this specific issue, you seemed to be the lone voice detailing that Samak was not being vulgar, but instead was being quite witty. Having not seen that opinion expressed anywhere else in any format, rather than try and detail why the entire rest of the world felt it didn't reflect the reality of the situation...it seemed that perhaps it would have been easier to have you use some self-reflection and examine why your opinion was uniformly out of step with everyone elses... it just seemed like an easier task... but I see now, that, perhaps, it wasn't.

I certainly express my own opinions... but when I've encountered the situation where they seem to be out of step with a number of other opinions, it makes me pause to reflect on them. The more out of tune they seem to be as reading and discussing develop, the more I tend to think longer about the validity of my own opinion... but I can't recall any particular situation where my opinion seemed to differ with every other opinion expressed. In this day and age, that's no easy task as the world is full of opinions and it doesn't take more than a few moments of googling to find someone that shares that same opinion, no matter what it is. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fellow TV member expressing it, but as I've not googled your opinion, perhaps somewhere... somehow... someone has actually expressed a like-minded opinion to yours.

Chownah

Chownah

Chownah

Not sure I understand what you're referring to when you bring whining into the discussion. I was only describing that on this specific issue, you seemed to be the lone voice detailing that Samak was not being vulgar, but instead was being quite witty. Having not seen that opinion expressed anywhere else in any format, rather than try and detail why the entire rest of the world felt it didn't reflect the reality of the situation...it seemed that perhaps it would have been easier to have you use some self-reflection and examine why your opinion was uniformly out of step with everyone elses... it just seemed like an easier task... but I see now, that, perhaps, it wasn't.

I certainly express my own opinions... but when I've encountered the situation where they seem to be out of step with a number of other opinions, it makes me pause to reflect on them. The more out of tune they seem to be as reading and discussing develop, the more I tend to think longer about the validity of my own opinion... but I can't recall any particular situation where my opinion seemed to differ with every other opinion expressed. In this day and age, that's no easy task as the world is full of opinions and it doesn't take more than a few moments of googling to find someone that shares that same opinion, no matter what it is. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fellow TV member expressing it, but as I've not googled your opinion, perhaps somewhere... somehow... someone has actually expressed a like-minded opinion to yours.

Well if you want to google around to see if anyone agrees with me on this non-issue of my opinion on a non-issue of a statement that Samak made then I guess that's up to you but frankly I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not....I just say what I think needs to be said....and yes...many people get a feeling of being validated if their opinions are shared and I guess you are one of those people...well...I am not.

Don't you think it is boring talking about this kind of stuff? If there was some substance related to the topic I could understand why you want to pursue it but frankly I think this is all off topic...

Of course you seem to never get tired of bringing up the non-issue of the little exchange between Samak and the journalist....and taking umbrage if anyone sees it another way....its just another "shallow analysis" I guess.

Chownah

Samak said today in parliament that "corruption is normal". :o

I now wonder if, in the near future, meddling with the justice system, trying to slip out of his own fire truck scam and clearing most of the TRT party and it's Little Emperor in exile of their accusations will also be considered "normal"? You'd need to shut the media up first to pull that one. Oh, they're working on that already. :D

Another thing.....when Samak was interviewed by a Thai woman quite awhile ago and in that interview he asked her if she had had immoral intercourse (or something to that effect) the night before........remember that?.....it was mentioned I don't know how many times here and is obliquely referred to even now from time to time.....that question of his.....well....I fully understand why he said it and I think it was really funny and in a sense quite appropriate for him to do that and there was a method to this unexpected question....he did it because she had intentionally asked him an embarrassing question and was expecting him to reveal embarassing details of his parties activities.....so rather than to answer the question he decided to turn the tables on her and see how she would react....to the best of my knowledge she did not answer his embarrassing question and he did not answer hers......I think it was sort of clever and gutsy for him to do that....

Chownah

Well if you want to google around to see if anyone agrees with me on this non-issue of my opinion on a non-issue of a statement that Samak made then I guess that's up to you but frankly I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not....I just say what I think needs to be said....and yes...many people get a feeling of being validated if their opinions are shared and I guess you are one of those people...well...I am not.

Don't you think it is boring talking about this kind of stuff? If there was some substance related to the topic I could understand why you want to pursue it but frankly I think this is all off topic...

Of course you seem to never get tired of bringing up the non-issue of the little exchange between Samak and the journalist....and taking umbrage if anyone sees it another way....its just another "shallow analysis" I guess.

Chownah

Actually, since you started up this whole line of a weeks-old issue, I would have thought my first response to your post in which I clarified the reality and specifics of what occured would have put it to rest and ended it there... but as you decided to pursue it with continual responses, it's brought us to this point.

As you have posted distinctly that you are only interested in saying what you feel needs to be said and that you're uninterested in what other's opinions are on a subject, then there's really no point for anyone to respond to any of your posts in the future.

If nothing else, this exchange has been beneficial to establish those guidelines.

As you have posted distinctly that you are only interested in saying what you feel needs to be said and that you're uninterested in what other's opinions are on a subject, then there's really no point for anyone to respond to any of your posts in the future.

I'm replying to this because you have misrepresented what I said and I don't want people to get the wrong impression about my posting.....I did not say that I was uninterested in what others' opinions are....I did not say that at all....what I said was that I post regardless of whether I think people will agree with me or not and that agreement is not important for me in my posting.....that is not the same thing at all....if I was uninterested in what others' opinion are then I wouldn't post here at all!!!!.....when I don't post at all on a topic then you can be reasonably certain that I am not interested in the opinions being expressed....or I haven't read them...or both.

If people find it pointless to reply to me then that's fine...I have no problem with that...especially if the reply is just to continue some pissing match.

And....the "weeks-old issue" is the same weeks old non-issue of the interchange between Samak and the journalist that you and others seem to keep bring back again and again and again....THAT is what has sparked this exchange....first it was a non-issue of Samaks crude remarks and now it is my non-issue opinions on the non-issue Samak comments....I do want to make it clear that what sparked this comment was your misstatement of my interests. How about if you stop discussing me....I'm not the topic here....even the non-issue of Samaks remarks is better...at least it has some credibility as being on topic whereas the topic of Chownah does not.

Chownah

P.S. PLease look at your last post...it has nothing to do with the topic...you are clearly playing the man and not playing the ball.

chownah

Remembering his refusal to debate Abhisit in pre-election times, mentioning the word "debate"

strikes fear into the foible-prone Samak...

so he....

will...

Samak says he will stop talking about Oct 6 event

cool guy this Samak ! :o

but talk he must and he will, it seems like:

Democrat to demand Samak

to explain his role in Oct 6 event to House

Democrat Party MP Thepthai Senpong said his party would submit an interpolation during the next House meeting to demand Prim Minister Samak Sundaravej to explain his role in the October 6 1976 student massacre.

Thepthai said although Samak insisted he was not involved, evidences had shown otherwise.

He said Samak met late dictator Field Marshal Thanom Kittikhachorn in Singapore before Thanom returned to Thailand and prompted student activists to protest.

"So, I will file an interpolation for Samak to prove himself in the next House meeting," Thepthai said.

The Nation

30065985-01.jpg

Democrat MP Theptai Senpong holds a book containing an account

of the 1976 student massacre while criticising PM Samak Sundaravej

for saying he saw only one person killed in the incident.

and this confrontation will only stir it up more this whole issue.

although many Thais prefer if government would rather concentrate on more current issues :

Few care about truth of October 6

More than half the people surveyed in an Abac poll believe moves to set the record straight over the October 6, 1976 massacre is of no concern for them today and would rather the government solve the economic problems.

Comparing the approval ratings between Prime Minister Samak Sundaravaj and Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, the latter scored 5.19 out of 10 in terms of being calm and collected, while Samak scored 4.4; Abhisit gained 5 out of 10 for credibility, with Samak receiving 4.9.

However, when asked about their overall view, respondents gave Samak a slightly higher score than Abhisit at 5.4 and 5.3 respectively.

so, seems like it's more like just a big show going on - who will score more.

and it is only 1.5 month since elections and even less than that since new government started to work.

what else Democrats have prepared for Samak and PPP in reserve ?

Samak’s comments can only be described as that of a thug. Referring to the democrats as the very clean party and now corruption is normal clearly spells out where he is from and where he intends to go. More than likely he knows no other way.

In the Aljazeera interview as compared to the journalist Samak clearly came out looking like a complete ass in my opinion by trying to distort documented events playing everyone for stupid. Clearly not of leadership quality, not even close. If he were to say that was a different time and people have changed over time, I would have accepted that as a valid answer leaving history to rest. Unfortunately he did not so that as Tony puts it, Samak stepped in an invisible pile of shit.

I did not say that it would be politically suicidal to answer the question....in fact I said that it was easily deniable.

She asked an embarassing and easily denyable question

Chownah's previous line of arguing was that there's nothing to be embarassed about and no need to deny anything. He argued that taking advice from banned politicians is ok.

Another thing.....when Samak was interviewed by a Thai woman quite awhile ago and in that interview he asked her if she had had immoral intercourse (or something to that effect) the night before........remember that?

And....the "weeks-old issue" is the same weeks old non-issue of the interchange between Samak and the journalist that you and others seem to keep bring back again and again and again....

It seems you contradict yourself for the sake of endless arguing.

Press following PM in hopes he will comment on October 6th incident

Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Samak Sundaravej’s agenda today will begin with a meeting with the Japanese Ambassador to Thailand His Excellency Hideaki Kobayashi, followed by a meeting with Chairman of the Kansai Economic Federation Hiroshi Shimozuma.

Later the Prime Minister is scheduled to meet with 6 United States House of Representatives members led by Mr. David Price.

Members of the press are hoping that Mr. Samak will address the issue of his past comments concerning the October 6th 1976 massacre which have spurred much criticism in the past days during his press conference at the Government House.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 Febuary 2008

Later the Prime Minister is scheduled to meet with 6 United States House of Representatives members led by Mr. David Price.

Members of the press are hoping that Mr. Samak will address the issue of his past comments concerning the October 6th 1976 massacre which have spurred much criticism in the past days during his press conference at the Government House

I think that members of the press are also hoping that Mr. Samak will address the issue of the possibility of Mr. David Price having had immoral alliances the evening before.

Chownah

^

At this point I can't say if Chownah being serious or not. I hope he isn't.

We don't know the purpose of the meeting, if it's just to check what the new PM look like, Samak might do a great damage to his country simply by being himself. Maybe his minders should electrocute him remotely when he starts talking nonsense.

Maybe his minders should electrocute him remotely when he starts talking nonsense.

:o

Very, very good idea!

He is only talking to the yanks, it is pretty obvious that they will ask him to remove the compulsory licensing for some drugs and let in GM foods so that Monsanto and the big pharma can relax.

He will negotiate some payoffs somehow rather ineptly so that he can get rich, er, the country gets better, and everyone can go back knowing that they did they best for the people.

If you used shock therapy, it is unlikely that his weak 72 year old heart would survive, given that even though 'mai gin sen' it is clear Samak's diet of 'gin tueng bahk mun plaeb' must have affected his collesterol already; presumably his American mates will be willing to offer him ample new servings both above and under the table.

Or is saying this all a bit too Halliburton these days???

^

At this point I can't say if Chownah being serious or not. I hope he isn't.

We don't know the purpose of the meeting, if it's just to check what the new PM look like, Samak might do a great damage to his country simply by being himself. Maybe his minders should electrocute him remotely when he starts talking nonsense.

I'm serious in that I think the Thai press corp would by and large absolutely love it if Samak posed such a question.....as would alot of regular posters here on the forum....it would be a field day for both groups!!!! I would love it too....I'd probably laugh out loud!!!!!

Although I was seriously presenting my honest opinion about how the press corp would react to such a hypothetical situation....my post was also meant as a bit of fun in that it is unlikely that Samak would pose such a question given the setting for the chat.....but with Samak who knows????? hahahhaha

I hope this explains it for you...do you understand now?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Now Samak already said that he will speak about 6 October - although yesterday he promised that he'll stop talking about it:

STUDENT MASSACRE

PM to be put on spot

Democrats will demand premier explain his role

Published on February 22, 2008

"I will file an interpolation for Samak to prove himself in the next House meeting," Thepthai said.

Thepthai said he also had a photograph to prove Samak was involved.

Thepthai tried to ask Samak about the issue before the end of the session on the government's policies on Wednesday night, causing chaos in the meeting. House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat then asked Thepthai to submit the interpolation next week. Samak said he would answer the motion by himself.

this Thepthai guy is like mosquito, huh? he buzzes Samak non stop at any given moment.

and seems like he is not the only one - naturally reporters love to twitch his nose too:

Samak becomes pale when shown his picture taken with Prapass

February 22, 2008

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej became pale when reporters showed him his pictures which he took with Field Marshal Prapass Jarusathien following the massacre of student activists on October 6 1976.

"Is that me? I didn't know I took this picture. I didn't know when I post for this picture and why," Samak exclaimed when seeing the picture.

Reporters showed him the picture when he was giving a weekly interview to Government House reporters.

The reporters asked him to comment on the opposition's plan to demand him to tell the House of his role during the October 6 event. Samak insisted that only one student was killed at Sanam Luang and said he could not remember why he told Thai students in France that many students were killed.

I think the smart thing for Samak to do now would be to apologize, and then next step - to use this to his own advantage, like to do the same thing to others who were involved, who are not in his PPP camp that is. or may be he is stupid for that as well?

but certainly, many people realize that opposition uses this issue as a political tool.

in fact, not only this issue - now they criticise government for not proper handling the South situation.

WHERE all these guys were just a few months ago, before the election, while Surayudh and CNS were still holding power?

WHY they didn't open they mouths to speak up of these issues to junta? surely, there must be a lot of people in military still in big positions who were very active in those Hok Tulaa events, much more active then Samak.

it all seems like a big game.

Now Samak already said that he will speak about 6 October - although yesterday he promised that he'll stop talking about it:

STUDENT MASSACRE

PM to be put on spot

Democrats will demand premier explain his role

Published on February 22, 2008

"I will file an interpolation for Samak to prove himself in the next House meeting," Thepthai said.

Thepthai said he also had a photograph to prove Samak was involved.

Thepthai tried to ask Samak about the issue before the end of the session on the government's policies on Wednesday night, causing chaos in the meeting. House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat then asked Thepthai to submit the interpolation next week. Samak said he would answer the motion by himself.

this Thepthai guy is like mosquito, huh? he buzzes Samak non stop at any given moment.

and seems like he is not the only one - naturally reporters love to twitch his nose too:

Samak becomes pale when shown his picture taken with Prapass

February 22, 2008

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej became pale when reporters showed him his pictures which he took with Field Marshal Prapass Jarusathien following the massacre of student activists on October 6 1976.

"Is that me? I didn't know I took this picture. I didn't know when I post for this picture and why," Samak exclaimed when seeing the picture.

Reporters showed him the picture when he was giving a weekly interview to Government House reporters.

The reporters asked him to comment on the opposition's plan to demand him to tell the House of his role during the October 6 event. Samak insisted that only one student was killed at Sanam Luang and said he could not remember why he told Thai students in France that many students were killed.

I think the smart thing for Samak to do now would be to apologize, and then next step - to use this to his own advantage, like to do the same thing to others who were involved, who are not in his PPP camp that is. or may be he is stupid for that as well?

but certainly, many people realize that opposition uses this issue as a political tool.

in fact, not only this issue - now they criticise government for not proper handling the South situation.

WHERE all these guys were just a few months ago, before the election, while Surayudh and CNS were still holding power?

WHY they didn't open they mouths to speak up of these issues to junta? surely, there must be a lot of people in military still in big positions who were very active in those Hok Tulaa events, much more active then Samak.

it all seems like a big game.

Minus the democrat party and my wife, there were at least 60 million other Thais to choose from but Samak was the one they insisted on. Who in his right mind would have chosen a rude man under a two year suspended jail sentence for defamation, his shadowy past with a massacre and a very bad looking involvement in the Bangkok fire truck and garbage scandals. There was really no one else to choose from? No one single other Thai? They are now getting the heat and finger pointing they deserve. It's not easy running an organisation packed with criminals.

The millions of koala bears currently in Thailand give this one a hearty thumbs up... :o

Samak backs Eucalyptus plantations

PM Samak Sundaravej has ignored critics’ claims that Eucalyptus trees are bad for the soil by proposing that this tree, at the centre of much of Australia’s wildlife, be grown in larger numbers in Thailand. Samak announced his decision after attending a weekly cabinet meeting to discuss the possibility of increasing the number of Eucalyptus trees in Thailand – an idea initially proposed by Science and Technology Minister Wutthipong Chaisang. "There has been heavy criticism on plans to grow more Eucalyptus trees in Thailand mainly because of a misunderstanding that these trees have a negative affect on soil," said Samak. "I found out after holding talks with experts on Tuesday, that experimental tests have been conducted on a variation of the Eucalyptus tree. The tests showed that 300 trees will produce two tons of wood within five years if grown in arid land. If grown near rice paddies, 100 trees will produce five tons of wood in five years. The roots will also act as fertilizer for the rice," Samak explained.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126042

==================================================================

A real authority on science and technology.... From The Nation's Cabinet Profiles:

post-9005-1203492554.jpg

Wutthipong Chaisang: Science Minister

Wutthipong, 49, Chachoengsao MP, the younger brother of Chaturon Chaisang, the former Thai Rak Thai Party Caretaker Leader who was banned from politics for five years. Chaturon pushed for his brother to get his first ministerial post.

An interesting response from the Bangkok Post's Mailbag:

As a farmer from Australia, I do know about eucalyptus trees and their effect on farming. PM Samak says, "The roots will also act as fertiliser for the rice."

This is total nonsense.

Eucalyptus trees suck the guts out of the land. The roots release a substance that inhibits the growth of other plants; not even grass grows around eucalyptus trees.

So where does he get his information? From businessmen who are looking for a quick return, without caring for the future and the environment? This is misleading information.

OZ FARMER

The millions of koala bears currently in Thailand give this one a hearty thumbs up... :o

Samak backs Eucalyptus plantations

PM Samak Sundaravej has ignored critics’ claims that Eucalyptus trees are bad for the soil by proposing that this tree, at the centre of much of Australia’s wildlife, be grown in larger numbers in Thailand. Samak announced his decision after attending a weekly cabinet meeting to discuss the possibility of increasing the number of Eucalyptus trees in Thailand – an idea initially proposed by Science and Technology Minister Wutthipong Chaisang. "There has been heavy criticism on plans to grow more Eucalyptus trees in Thailand mainly because of a misunderstanding that these trees have a negative affect on soil," said Samak. "I found out after holding talks with experts on Tuesday, that experimental tests have been conducted on a variation of the Eucalyptus tree. The tests showed that 300 trees will produce two tons of wood within five years if grown in arid land. If grown near rice paddies, 100 trees will produce five tons of wood in five years. The roots will also act as fertilizer for the rice," Samak explained.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126042

==================================================================

A real authority on science and technology.... From The Nation's Cabinet Profiles:

post-9005-1203492554.jpg

Wutthipong Chaisang: Science Minister

Wutthipong, 49, Chachoengsao MP, the younger brother of Chaturon Chaisang, the former Thai Rak Thai Party Caretaker Leader who was banned from politics for five years. Chaturon pushed for his brother to get his first ministerial post.

An interesting response from the Bangkok Post's Mailbag:

As a farmer from Australia, I do know about eucalyptus trees and their effect on farming. PM Samak says, "The roots will also act as fertiliser for the rice."

This is total nonsense.

Eucalyptus trees suck the guts out of the land. The roots release a substance that inhibits the growth of other plants; not even grass grows around eucalyptus trees.

So where does he get his information? From businessmen who are looking for a quick return, without caring for the future and the environment? This is misleading information.

OZ FARMER

Funnily enough, Chownah over on the Farming Forum was complaining that there were no scientific studies showing the link between eucalyptus and soil degradation. But given his penchant for Ai Samak (and apparent dislike of anyone who utters a bad word against the guy), he can now go around quoting the highly scientific source of Samak for Eucalyptus roots acting as "fertiliser for rice" to prove us unscientific people wrong who have witnessed the ecological damage wrought by eucalyptus trees over a period of two decades. Presumably Oz Farmer is no relation of Ozzydom who is also partial to gum trees in Thailand and thinks they are positively good for the land.

Old photo gives PM a surprise

PM Samak was caught off guard yesterday when he was confronted with a newspaper picture showing him standing next to the late military strongman Field Marshal Prapass Charusathiara and his son-in-law Col Narong Kittikachorn. An army of reporters told Samak that the opposition Democrat party had been distributing copies of the picture. ''I haven't seen it before. I cannot remember just when and where I was [in the picture],'' replied Samak. In a bid to jog his memory about the uprisings and killings on Oct 14, 1973, and Oct 6, 1976, a reporter showed him a picture published in a newspaper. ''Oh! Is that me? I don't know about it. I have yet to receive this picture,'' said Samak, apparently taken aback. The PM swore in parliament on Monday that he had nothing to do with the events of Oct 14 and Oct 6 when government forces brutally cracked down on student protesters. Field Marshal Prapass was one of three military dictators overthrown in the Oct 14, 1973 uprising. The other two were the late Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn and his son Col Narong. The Oct 14 uprising was followed by a brief period of democracy. The two field marshals went into exile abroad. Prapass returned to Thailand in early 1976 but had to flee again after strong protests.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Feb2008_news02.php

I am not sure what to say about the Eucalyptus except it goes without saying there is a cut in it for Samak and probably Thaksin too. As far as Eucalyptus being another crop, I don’t see it as a bad thing as it is used in so many products. It probably will be added to the Fire Trucks, Scanners, Rubber trees, computers list soon.

Just some cheap political point scoring by the Democrats

and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected.

To the previous post regarding the political parties opposing Samak on this issue, we can add his own People Power Party, who evidently are also, "just trying to score some cheap political point"....

Adisorn warns PM to back off

Dwelling on events of Oct 6 could split PPP

Former TRT executive Adisorn Piangket yesterday warned PM Samak that his allies could easily turn on him if he continues to dwell on the controversy surrounding the 1976 massacre of student protesters at Thammasat University. Some members of the PPP, which is made up largely of members of the dissolved TRT, are former student activists who once held a grudge against Samak over the incident. However, Samak and those PPP members later agreed to bury the hatchet and work together to fight the coup makers. Adisorn was a student activist at the time of the uprising and is one of the 111 former TRT executives banned from politics after their party was dissolved for poll fraud.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/20Feb2008_news01.php

Here's another "Democrat" who is "just trying to score some cheap political point"....

Chaturon slams PM on Oct 6, 1976 uprising

Former acting Thai Rak Thai Party Leader Chaturon Chaisaeng (TRT Banned #2) called on Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to study history more thoroughly before speaking to the press about October 6, 1976 uprising. His statement came after Samak's recent interviews with CNN and Al Jazeera that only one unlucky person died on Oct 6. Chaturon said more than 40 people were killed in the student massacre. He also urged "October people" in the current government to give more information on the massacre to Samak. Chaturon also expressed

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126097

Edited by sriracha john

In regards to Samak's seemedly intentional raising of this issue (my view is that he knew that his comments would bring a strong reaction) I'm wondering why....Wasn't Sonthi (the one who headed the military dictatorship which has just receded to observe from the sidelines) directly involved in the '76 action....wasn't he in charge of the army which was on the scene...and weren't they there charged with maintaining the peace?. I'm asking...I don't know...

If it was Sonthi then maybe Samak thinks that raising this issue will help to keep the ex-military dictator and future military dictator wannabes at bay....I don't know....just trying to figure out why Samak would do this if done intentionally.

chownah