Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

So why, in the face of such over-whelming evidence in many forms such as a multitude of photographs and personal accounts from eye-witnesses to the events.... why would Samak, the chief official in charge of running this country, state unequivocally, on international television, possibly the biggest bald-face LIE of all time for Thailand?

Is his regard for the electorate that low?

Is he that clinically delusional?

Is he that senile that his memory is that poor?

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why, in the face of such over-whelming evidence in many forms such as a multitude of photographs and personal accounts from eye-witnesses to the events.... why would Samak, the chief official in charge of running this country, state unequivocally, on international television, possibly the biggest bald-face LIE of all time for Thailand?

Probably the 3rd one.

He could say that the students did not die at the hands of the mob or police, but rather at the natural force of velocity (bullets), heat (fire) and gravity (strangling).

Therefore, no one died at the hands of the mob/police.

Well, one. That was a heart attack the next day.

How generous of him to rewrite history for us more clearly.

Mind you most of the TRT initiatives and their success is already a rewrite, so it isn't like this isn't normal for the twits in charge at the moment. However 1976 many educated Thais know traces back deep enough that it could not be investigated or discussed than it has been already with a female hand possibly in the background is the usual agreement.

Free press is key, and since 2001 we've gone backwards consistently in that regard; on hold last year, but about to go backwards at full tit.

Probably the 3rd one.

He could say that the students did not die at the hands of the mob or police, but rather at the natural force of velocity (bullets), heat (fire) and gravity (strangling).

Therefore, no one died at the hands of the mob/police.

Well, one. That was a heart attack the next day.

How generous of him to rewrite history for us more clearly.

The fallout from his buffoonery continues to grow...

October 6 people angry at PM's CNN interview

Former student activists who experienced first-hand the brutal crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators on Oct 6, 1976, have been outraged by PM Samak's interview with CNN. During the interview on Saturday, Samak said that on Oct 6, 1976, only one person was killed in the violent crackdown on protesting students and other demonstrators by the authoritarian government of the time. Apichart Sakdiseth, a Democrat MP for Nakhon Si Thammarat, said Samak had totally distorted the facts about the bloody Oct 6 crackdown. "In the massacre that took place in the heart of the capital 30 years ago, the official number of people killed was 46 and hundreds of others went missing. They're historical facts that people around the world have learned," said Mr Apichart who urged all people involved in the events of Oct 6, including former student activists, academics and relatives of those killed, to come out to defend the facts. Former student activist Suthachai Yimprasert, now a History Lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, said he assumed Samak intentionally gave the wrong information to escape the accusation that he was also responsible for the 1976 massacre of student activists and other protesters. "I don't want to debate the facts with him. He should know himself that this isn't the first time he has lied," said Mr Suthachai.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12Feb2008_news02.php

Yeah, I had basically the same reaction....I don't really see why he would say this. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he wants people to focus on the massacre for some reason...perhaps he thinks that if people focus on it that it will be shown that he was not involved......I don't know....this is only a guess on my part and so far the only reason I can think of as to why he would say that.....or perhaps he knows the questions about his involvement are simmering throughout society and he wants to raise the issue so that it will be discussed to death and then forgotten....again I don't know.

Chownah

If you look at ASTV long enough, they don't mind running a bit of a clip of him who also doesn't mind standing there while the carnage goes on, the look on his face actually suggests he is enjoying it. There must be pictures of him around made from that footageor by other photographers.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Throughout the interview he stressed that one million people voted for him, so he must be right.

It's a modification of the traditional Thai justice system. There you earned the points by being higher up the ladder, now you need to show how many votes you got. Person with more points wins no matter what. Everything else, like evidence or truth, is irrelevant.

I think he really believes that being elected to the highest office automatically absolves all his previous sins.

With Chalerm's son selected as a role model for Thais, I run out of words, I need a thesaurus.

Throughout the interview he stressed that one million people voted for him, so he must be right.

It's a modification of the traditional Thai justice system. There you earned the points by being higher up the ladder, now you need to show how many votes you got. Person with more points wins no matter what. Everything else, like evidence or truth, is irrelevant.

I think he really believes that being elected to the highest office automatically absolves all his previous sins.

With Chalerm's son selected as a role model for Thais, I run out of words, I need a thesaurus.

Going forward, when Wan gets in trouble he won't have to say "Do you know who my father is?" Now, he can say "Do you know who I am?"

Imagine one day, in course of his duty, someone asks him how he gave up smoking and drinking.

"The day when we shot that cop changed my life, you can't continue with your old habits after that, I recommend this method to everyone".

I think that was his brother, although Wan has never been confused with being a boyscout either.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3572395.stm

Edited by Old Man River

Sure seems to be a lot of "sour grapes" around here.

But I guess this forum is fundamentally dominated by anti-Thaksin farangs, so what could one expect?

Sorry Ando, but did you have something good, to say about this (now hastily-retracted) proposed-appointment ? I'd love to hear it. Perhaps something along the lines of "No, no, he really is a reformed character." ? :o

Another international news media interview.... another round of :o and :D and :D

Video of Samak's interview with Selena Downes, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Bangkok:

Part 1:

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/28918-101-ea...9-feb-08-part-1

Part 2:

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/28921-101-ea...9-feb-08-part-2

------------------------------------

Following his lies over 1976 on CNN, come the lies now about Tak Bai, etc.

btw, he's not exactly the picture of health (physically)........ the mentally goes without saying.

Edited by sriracha john

After claiming in the above interview that the 78 who died in Tak Bai were standing in the trucks and then laid down on their own accord before dying of dehydration due to observing the fasting of Ramadan and repeating his claims that only 1 person died on October 6, 1976...

Samak insists just one died in Oct 6 uprising

PM Samak Sundaravej yesterday insisted the history of the Oct 6, 1976 student uprising had been distorted and stood by his claim that only one person died in the violent crackdown. Samak also denied any involvement in the suppression. He said the facts behind the event had been twisted and he did not know who was responsible for the distortion. In his recent interview with CNN, the PM said only one unlucky man was beaten to death during the incident at Sanam Luang. In the October 1976 massacre, police and rightist militants killed dozens of left-wing students. Yesterday, he said he would not have come this far had he been involved. Orrisa Irawanwat, former President of the Association of Bangkok Technical College Students and a student activist in 1976, criticised Samak for not being honest about what had happened. He said the truth could not be changed, and the student activists who were at the scene of the crackdown still had vivid memories of the 1976 uprising. "He should know well there was not only one death. How could he say that? He may think it is best to trivialise the event. He can lie to himself but not to others," said the former student leader. Anek Laothammatat, former President of the Association of Chulalongkorn University Students, said there was more than one death during the crackdown on student activists. Those who were at the scene believed hundreds of demonstrators died. "Samak has distorted the facts. He should not have made such remarks. He should have apologised to those who lost their loved ones," said Mr Anek.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/13Feb2008_news15.php

Edited by sriracha john

Looks like to me to be more than 1 ...

tl_kill01.jpg

tl_kill03-1.jpg

tl_kill02.jpg

Likewise, in contradiction to Samak's interview claims... at Tak Bai, they were NOT standing up in the trucks and dying from dehydration...

050927_disp_ThaiDemonstr_Ex.jpg

Prior to having their hands bound and being loaded one on top of one another lying down in the trucks and dying of suffocation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a first-hand survivor's account:

Rusalam and about a thousand other young men were ordered to take off their T-shirts and to lie on the ground. The soldiers tied their arms behind their backs. "I crawled on the ground to the trucks with my arms tied behind me with my belt," he said. "I had bruises from the soldiers' boots on my back. They kicked me too many times to count. I couldn't walk." Rusalam was lifted into the empty truck and placed on the bottom of what would become six layers of people. He was first in because of his beard.

"When I moved, a soldier said to me, 'You want to die? You want to die?' " He was beaten in the head with a rifle butt. Other men, according to Human Rights Watch, were urinated on.

On the way to the army barracks, the truck kept stopping, and more men were loaded on top of Rusalam and the others. The drive usually takes about an hour; that afternoon it took almost five. About two hours before they reached the camp, the young man next to Rusalam said he couldn't breathe and pleaded with the person on top of him to lift his bodyweight up if he could. It was the last thing Rusalam heard him say. When they reached the army camp, the young man was dead.

http://www.slate.com/id/2126807/entry/2126810/

Edited by sriracha john

Samak shocks, shames nation

PM Samak Sundaravej should be ashamed for declaring to the world in an interview with CNN over the weekend, that only one person died in the 1976 massacre of anti-dictatorship protesters at Thammasat University. Former student leaders Surapong Suebwonglee, Chaturon Chaisaeng and other key Thai Rak Thai members who now support Samak must have really cringed; their friends died that terrible day. With his blatantly inaccurate statements to a worldwide audience, Samak has shown disrespect to everyone who has fought for democracy in this country and embarrassed the nation at the same time. It is one thing to have taken part in moves to quell pro-democracy protests in the past, it is another trying to deny not just one's involvement but the entire event. What Samak was doing in this interview goes beyond the pale, and even calls into question his ability to govern the country. This is frightening. It runs contrary to photographic evidence that clearly shows dozens of students lying dead on university grounds. For any Thai citizen to give such an answer to an international audience that runs contrary to very clear evidence is disgraceful, but for the Prime Minister to do so is downright shocking.

Editorial continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/13Feb2008_news22.php

Another international news media interview.... another round of :o and :D and :D

Video of Samak's interview with Selena Downes, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Bangkok:

Part 1:

Part 2:

------------------------------------

Following his lies over 1976 on CNN, come the lies now about Tak Bai, etc.

btw, he's not exactly the picture of health (physically)........ the mentally goes without saying.

Thanks for the links.

He tried to intimidate the female interviewer in the second half. Could not seem to formulate any clear direction for policy either. Basically a bunch of extremely poor and obnoxious responses, including blatant lies and denial. He strikes me as a tyrant with no redeeming qualities.

Edited by traveller5000

Part 1:

Part 2:

Oh... my... god...

Seriously this can't be for real. I was not sure if I could finish watching this. Incredible how this guy acts. I mean everyone with a bit of education would have at least acted like a politician and not like some bar bully. dam_n... I never thought he is that bad. Seriously after what he said I'm sure he would be quite capable of ordering things like the Thammasat bloodbath again. Absolutely scary that this guy has the power now.

She mentions 1976 and he immediately confronts her by asking what year she was born. :D

Belching thug!

What's next? A law preventing citizens discussing any historical event that happened before their date of birth. :D

"A lrady like you come from far away ask me these type of questions?..."

14th century brain in a 21st century three piece suit.

She tries to end the interview, he puts in his last words like a begging liar and then says "Thank you for coming, that's enough!" :D

Another great international representation for Thailand. :o

Look at it this way, choosing Samak was the party 's or rather Thaksin's biggest mistake, he is like the last finishing touch, a thick coat of varnish sealing in TRT/PPP's lies, thuggish and criminal history forever for all to watch afterwards. If the population doesn't wake up after this government...

Edited by Tony Clifton

If you think that is scary look at this

Bangkok University poll: Thais happy with PM

(BangkokPost.com) – Samak Sundaravej may be widely thought of being ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra’s lapdog, but Thailand’s new prime minister seems to have the majority of the public’s trust.

A Bangkok University poll disclosed that 50 per cent of respondents are happy with the Samak administration while only 35 percent are dissatisfied. 15 percent of those questioned preferred not to comment.

And only just days of being in office, marks out of ten are already being given out to cabinet ministers.

Most people believe deputy prime minister and commerce minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan is a star performer so far, followed by industry minister Suwit Khunkitti and prime minister and defence minister Samak Sundaravej.

The public has the least faith in interior minister Chalerm Yubamroong. He scored a lowly 4.7 out of 10.

Maj Gen Sanan Kajornprasart did slightly better with 4.84 points while natural resources and environment minister Anongwan Thepsuthin got a respectable 4.9 points.

Near the very end of the Part 2 video, as he begins raising his voice, leaning forward in his chair aggressively, and collectively having a general appearance and demeanor of someone conveying the intimidation of a crack-house gang-banger boss, the correspondent, Selena Downes, actually begins to look and sound rather frightful of the spectacle in front of her.

Edited by sriracha john

One of the lesser of the lesser valid poll takers, perhaps Bangkok U could repeat the poll in a week after all this and Thai versions of it appear, are fully dissimated and the Cabinet "prison-break-out" is full appreciated.... and THEN, see what the results are.

Edited by sriracha john