Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

In case you missed it, there was an interview with Al Jazeera at about the same time. Samak said basically the same things - only one person died, bla bla bla, and used his trademark "How old are you? Were you born yet" questions on a female reporter, he also told her she should do her homework before asking him these questions and he was practically dragged off the air after that.

I saw it and so did a Thai with me - they had never seen those pictures before and would not beleive at first it was at Thammasat

Mother nature will not be turned back and after that many of Thailands dirty little secrests may come out in the wash

While certainly conclusions cannot be drawn from just one person, out of curiosity, was this Thai person a young adult or an older adult?

Of course conclusions can not be drawn from one person and should never be extrapolated - I work in Clinical R&D for a major pharma and am well aware of this and hope I am concious of this in any sphere.

Late 20's - middle class own business in Bangkok but family from Udon - not university educated.

Another experience of this happened last year.

I was in Bangalore last March with a Thai colleague visiting one of our offshore centres. Each night it was free drinks and food in the executive lounge at the hotel. We got chatting to some Aussies and brits visiting WIPRO and one Aussie had lived in Thailand previously. The chat got around to 76 and 92 plus the book we can not mention.

My colleague who grew up from age 11 in north America till she returned to Thailand in her 20's had not heard about these things either. She is quite senior in our company in Thailand with a degree from a good Canadian Uni (McGill) and her family are very well off just to give some background. She asked her mother about it when she called later. The next day she told me her mother acknowledged things that had happened but said they had chosen not to tell their daughters as they thought knowing about it was dangerous?

Edit - I went to see the Thai movie (Colic) with my ex - the baby was the reborn killer from 76 (or 73) and it referred to it at the end and had the memorial in the closing scenes. I asked my ex if she knew about this and she said she was taught about it at school so thats a different experience to the two older girls above.

Edited by Prakanong

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you missed it, there was an interview with Al Jazeera at about the same time. Samak said basically the same things - only one person died, bla bla bla, and used his trademark "How old are you? Were you born yet" questions on a female reporter, he also told her she should do her homework before asking him these questions and he was practically dragged off the air after that.

I saw it and so did a Thai with me - they had never seen those pictures before and would not beleive at first it was at Thammasat

Mother nature will not be turned back and after that many of Thailands dirty little secrests may come out in the wash

While certainly conclusions cannot be drawn from just one person, out of curiosity, was this Thai person a young adult or an older adult?

Of course conclusions can not be drawn from one person and should never be extrapolated - I work in Clinical R&D for a major pharma and am well aware of this and hope I am concious of this in any sphere.

Late 20's - middle class own business in Bangkok but family from Udon - not university educated.

Another experience of this happened last year.

I was in Bangalore last March with a Thai colleague visiting one of our offshore centres. Each night it was free drinks and food in the executive lounge at the hotel. We got chatting to some Aussies and brits visiting WIPRO and one Aussie had lived in Thailand previously. The chat got around to 76 and 92 plus the book we can not mention.

My colleague who grew up from age 11 in north America till she returned to Thailand in her 20's had not heard about these things either. She is quite senior in our company in Thailand with a degree from a good Canadian Uni (McGill) and her family are very well off just to give some background. She asked her mother about it when she called later. The next day she told me her mother acknowledged things that had happened but said they had chosen not to tell their daughters as they thought knowing about it was dangerous?

Edit - I went to see the Thai movie (Colic) with my ex - the baby was the reborn killer from 76 (or 73) and it referred to it at the end and had the memorial in the closing scenes. I asked my ex if she knew about this and she said she was taught about it at school so thats a different experience to the two older girls above.

Prakanong, I think Thaksin's in Singapore at the moment, could you drop in on him and ask him where he was on October 6 or indeed during Black May?

Thanks in advance.

"Prakanong, I think Thaksin's in Singapore at the moment, could you drop in on him and ask him where he was on October 6 or indeed during Black May?

Thanks in advance."

I knew I recognised the face in the four floors last night - if he is there tonight I wil ask him for you :o

Ipanema bar gets quite busy though - he likes Bak Kut Teh but gets thrown out of restaurants over it

http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/2007/0...olitically.html

Edited by Prakanong

I actually I did miss it. I did see the interview, but never saw where he was practically dragged off the air after the interview. Where did you see that?

Of course the female journalist didn't physically drag him and she didn't call security guards either, but her pleas to end the program fell on Samak's death ears as he was ranting about media not doing their homework and daring to come and ask him questions until he was cut.

The links are somewhere in this forum, the video is hosted on youtube, there are two parts, October questions were in the second part. I didn't see any original footage bur the interviewer mentioned seeing it.

The guy is national embarassement. After an interview like that they can't congratulate Thailand for "return to the democracy" with a straight face.

See the Al Jazeera interview Pt 1 & 2 here.

Anyone who watches those has to be completely embarrassed for Thailand. The look of contempt on the interviewers face when he talks about Tak Bai- how could he be so stupid? Did he know that was Al Jazeera? Does heknow what Al Jazeerea is? In all areas, including the belch, he came off at best as an incompetent lying thug.

Interesting Samak interview, not much to do with the truth.

Also just a passing thought, if Thaksin is conducting business in Singapore or anywhere else in Asia for that matter, I will lay even odds that he is doing so in the capacity of Prime Minister of Thailand.

See the Al Jazeera interview Pt 1 & 2 here.

Anyone who watches those has to be completely embarrassed for Thailand. The look of contempt on the interviewers face when he talks about Tak Bai- how could he be so stupid? Did he know that was Al Jazeera? Does heknow what Al Jazeerea is? In all areas, including the belch, he came off at best as an incompetent lying thug.

You are certainly more astute and worldly than the Prime Minister of Thailand.

When I posted the links to these videos, I decided not to make reference to how absolutely "bull in a china shop" he was regarding tact and diplomacy in that this was an Al Jazerra interview, who have a world-wide audience of Muslims as a large portion of their audience.

For him to make such outrageous lies, and do it in such a disparaging manner, regarding Tak Bai AND Krue Sa and to do so on Al Jazeera, of all places, is the height of stupidity.

This is the Prime Minister, or "Head Bull in Charge of Rampaging through China Shops", that is now responsible for trying to resolve the desperate and very pressing issue of turmoil in the Deep South.

Also just a passing thought, if Thaksin is conducting business in Singapore or anywhere else in Asia for that matter, I will lay even odds that he is doing so in the capacity of Prime Minister of Thailand.

I will bet you then - I will have those odds - put your money where your mouth is as I will have some of that.

Sorry John but why would you say that?

How can he be doing it in the capacity of PM - you think Singapore does not follow the rule of law and treats him as not just a private citizen.

Its another of your outrageous statements like the building ownership without any foundation at all - evidence please!

Samak promised to be nice to the press

"I will talk nice to the press, be friendly and not hostile to the press," promised Samak Sundaravej on February 6 before a crowd of reporters at the Government House. If he keeps that promise, PM Samak will have made a total U-turn in his 32-year adversarial relationship with the fourth estate. Not only that, it should make his administration much smoother than if he chooses to continue on in divisiveness and confrontation, noted a Matichon editorialist, who added that Thais, as neutral observers, would be the judges to see if Samak keeps his word.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/16Feb2008_news90.php

I will bet you then - I will have those odds - put your money where your mouth is as I will have some of that.

Sorry John but why would you say that?

How can he be doing it in the capacity of PM - you think Singapore does not follow the rule of law and treats him as not just a private citizen.

Its another of your outrageous statements like the building ownership without any foundation at all - evidence please!

Well do a little rewinding here back to the last 3 months of 2006. Thaksin was still running around pretending to be PM, conducting meetings with various government heads. Also not to forget the Singapore incident that really set sparks flying. As Thaksin tends to be a creature of habit, I would say I have a fair basis for my statement. One of or several of the meetings Thaksin had resulted in him losing his diplomatic passport. With Noppadon airing Thaksin should get it back, also adds some weight to my comment. If suddenly there appears some deals between Thailand and the places Thaksin visits, I think that could be supportive evidence seeing is the person that should be doing that is still figuring out how the get his cut of the pie while avoiding those nasty teeth of the new constitution..

Edited by John K

His Sunday shows are becoming quite enlightening... :o:D

Samak talks about resorting to the use of coins in times of economic crisis

In the Sunday talk show, Talking in Samak's Style, on Channel 11 today (February 17th), Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej spoke about the advantage in resorting to the use of coins during the economic crisis.

Samak says his talk today includes small documentaries of using coins in the United States of America in the past, adding that its knowledge will help lead the public members to solve their problem in terms of consumption and ways to survive in times of high cost living.

He says moreover, producing coins has created a deficit trading system in the Thai economy.

- ThaiNews

=====================================================

He's a case study waiting to be written for Psychology Today magazine.

Edited by sriracha john

Well if he is nice to the press it doesnt help with the fact that he is an idiot.

Here's Samak being "nice and friendly" to the press...

PM criticizes media for presenting unconstructive news

The Prime Minister and Defence Minister, Samak Sundaravej, criticized the media for releasing news reports with an intent to accuse the government. He also pointed out that there is still a third party, also known as the Invisible Hand, who is trying to agitate the government continuously.

At the Prime Minister’s weekly television program this morning (February 17th), Samak says certain news presented by the media are not based on facts, and some of them include the news on the 30-percent capital reserve requirement and the Election Commission (EC)’s investigation into House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat’s alleged voted-buying case.

The Prime Minister says the news have defamed Mr. Yongyuth and the EC. Hence, he says the Invisible Hand has been attempting to trouble the government, even prior to the December-23rd general election.

The Prime Minister also praised the EC for working honestly and fairly. He says the government is ready to support the EC in holding the senate election on March 2nd this year. He also asked all the state agencies to cooperate with the EC.

- ThaiNews

His Sunday shows are becoming quite enlightening... :D :D

Samak talks about resorting to the use of coins in times of economic crisis

In the Sunday talk show, Talking in Samak's Style, on Channel 11 today (February 17th), Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej spoke about the advantage in resorting to the use of coins during the economic crisis.

- ThaiNews

=====================================================

He's a case study waiting to be written for Psychology Today magazine.

Seen that most here have close to nothing, maybe he's referring to the Greeks who used to cover a dead person's eyes with two coins. :o

As things are seemingly going now taking care of 111 impoverished Thai’s first before starting on the other sixty something million, I wonder when Samak will get around to signing an executive order returning Thaksin’s Shin tax money that was so illegally taken under such questionable circumstances. :o

Executive Orders are a US Presidential prerogative. The nearest equivalent would be a Statutory Instrument, though I don't believe the enabling legislation exists here, therefore the powers of the PM are prescribed by constitutional process and organic law boundaries. Given the source of the 111's travils, the PM is unable, without constitutional amendment in a position to provide amnesty, or expunging.

Regards

Executive Orders are a US Presidential prerogative. The nearest equivalent would be a Statutory Instrument, though I don't believe the enabling legislation exists here, therefore the powers of the PM are prescribed by constitutional process and organic law boundaries. Given the source of the 111's travils, the PM is unable, without constitutional amendment in a position to provide amnesty, or expunging.

Regards

A valid comment indeed.

Regards

A valid comment indeed.

Fair point if they actually cared about the law and rules. It will probably be much more covert because if they did it public like that there would be several government officials hanging from ropes around their neck in front of Government House the next day. Don’t kid yourself, it is on Thaksin’s to do list to get his money back.

it is not surprising that that Thai person said so - that time government has literally blacked out all the newspapers for 3 days or so. and later on this sort of things has been kept quite about.

today on news it was said something like Samak commented that no photos, vcds and other materials should be sold in public places about those events (I saw some such photos sold on JJ market).

BTW website 2519.net seems like is not accessible anymore.

although still can see it in Google cashed results. but no any photos or graphics no more.

Edited by aaaaaa

... her mother acknowledged things that had happened but said they had chosen not to tell their daughters as they thought knowing about it was dangerous?

Edit - I went to see the Thai movie (Colic) with my ex - the baby was the reborn killer from 76 (or 73) and it referred to it at the end and had the memorial in the closing scenes. I asked my ex if she knew about this and she said she was taught about it at school ...

Thais feel like certain things shouldn't be discussed about - better to forget them.

today when Thai news mentioned this matter of Samak's answers angering survivors of Oct 76 - there were certain black and white footage played. I asked my wife - did she pay attention to what's these news are all about. she said - no. when I explained about Bkk Post and international news publishing reports on Samak's answers to CNN reporters - her reaction surprised me! she said, somewhat annoyed or even a bit angry: "these foreign reporters must have better matters and know batter than ask such sensitive questions. it is not their business, it is our country - what right they have to stir some bad memories in Thailand ?!!" I had to pacify her by explaining that reporters always do such things - they try to unearth some disturbing things and make sensations.

but the fact is that "Blue October" is much less discussed then "Black May" 92 or Oct 73 because it is very sensitive matter.

Forgetting and Remembering "Hok Tulaa",

the October 6 Massacre

Spring 1997

... tight press control prevented public discussion of the massacre.

Yet, as time has passed and press control has all but vanished,

the issue of the massacre has still not been publicly taken up...

A recent review of Thai high school history and culture textbooks showed, disturbingly, that 80% do not even mention the Hok Tulaa events. Of the few that do mention the massacre most use very neutral language (e.g., their was an "uprising" that was "suppressed" and many students fled to the jungle as a result)... The only textbook which tackles the 1976 massacre in any depth is (not surprisingly) published by Thammasat University, but even that book dodges the issue of the atrocities...

More importantly, to date no perpetrator of the Hok Tulaa violence has come forward to discuss the days events. The right-wing mobsters, policemen and soldiers have kept their jaws clenched tightly for twenty years and,

in all likelihood, plan to die that way.

... just asking questions about Hok Tulaa is for many Thais a painful experience...

Small wonder then that most people find it easier to forget Hok Tulaa.

Hok Tulaa will remain only partially remembered in the textbooks of tomorrow...

Sifting Out the Truth ...

(review of 2 books on 6th Oct)

Today, only Thai students with an interest in Thai history have any knowledge of what took place on this date...

in Thai society today, there is little interest in bringing to justice the culprits behind the violence of October 1976.

The 6th October 1976 Investigating Committee was set up in July 2000 to gather information

about a missing chapter from recent Thai history by compiling verbal accounts from volunteer eyewitnesses.

the crackdown on the students and the subsequent coup d’état had been planned in advance by the government...

according to a former intelligence student activist, a radio police message intercepted just before the events took place confirms that police reinforcement had been ordered prior to that morning. This evidence leads to the conclusion that the decision to enter Thammasat on the morning of 6th October was not a case of a situation getting out of control, but was actually an action planned in advance...

Every paragraph written by Suthachai and Chontira is replete with the names of individuals and institutions that are still highly influential even today. This is an important reason why we cannot hope ... a truth commission set up any time soon... And the day remains out of reach when demand for justice is met ...

Remembering 6 October 1976

the forgotten massacre

The only memorial for those who died on 6 October is in the grounds Thammasat University, near the 14 October memorial. It's a simple a sculpture of the Thai date 6 October 2519 (1976). What's even more significant are the words in English and Thai inscribed around the base of the sculpture.

6-october-1976.jpg

6 October 2519 (1976)

"What is most regrettable is the fact that young people now have no third choice. If they cannot conform to the government, they must run away. Those interested in peaceful means to bring about freedom and democracy must start from square one."

The 14 October 1973 Memorial

lest we forget

The 14 October 1973 Memorial in Bangkok was erected to preserve the memory of those who were killed on that fateful day when thousands demonstrated against the military dictatorship.

It stands at the junction of Central Ratchadamnoen Avenue and Tanao Road, not far from the Democracy Monument where most of the demonstrators were gathered back in October 1973.

14-october-1973-memorial.jpg

The 14 October 1973 uprising

dying for a cause

There's another memorial dedicated to those who lost their lives in October 1973.

It's in the grounds of Thammasat University, just after the main gate, on the right.

14-october-1973.jpg

Thammasat remembers 14 October

by looking at the smiling faces of crowd watching with glee as guy is hitting by chair hanged student (or those cheering guys dragging corps on the ground) - it is easier to understand why these matters are not discussed much or preferred to be forgotten. this sort of joy and fun indicates on total entirely different understanding of those very events, that those actions were felt as very justified and in fact right thing to do.

so, no surprise that Samak has so clumsily tried to avoid so direct questions by too shrewd foreign reporters (who no doubt achieved what they wanted) by bluntly denying any deaths at all.

interestingly, that in 92 he has also justified the government's actions:

In 1992, as Deputy Prime Minister in the Suchinda administration, Samak justified the military's brutal suppression of pro-democracy demonstrators by declaring that the government had the right to do so as long as the United States could send troops to kill people in other countries.

(from Wiki : Samak Sundaravej)

Presently these two links are still running 2519.net and OK Nation Blog. There's another article here about this with images as well.

Regards

yes, now it is functioning without problems

that another article I've already mentioned in earlier post #475 :o

but thanks anyway for giving link to it once again.

another thing which might be worth mentioning:

that it was Bangkok Post (with some other Thai newspaper) which published in Oct 76 those (or that)

"doctored" photos which triggered the violence and massacre.

and yet 32 years later it is Bangkok Post again which publishes article which accuses Samak of duplicity and dishonesty !

it is mentioned on that web page Forgetting and Remembering "Hok Tulaa":

... at the Thai Studies Conference in Chiang Mai, Professor Thongchai presented his paper

on the ambivalent narratives of the Hok Tulaa massacre.

In the middle of his talk Thongchai began to list many of the unanswered questions surrounding the Hok Tulaa massacre [such as] : ... Who produced the doctored photos ... and why did the Bangkok Post and a Thai language daily choose to run them?

at least to be fair - first Bangkok Post must have acknowledge its (their) own part / role in one of causes of those events - and THEN only pointed finger at someone else ! and it would be really good IF indeed Bangkok Post would answer that WHY question - although it is very doubtful that they'll answer the WHO question

Edited by aaaaaa

STUDENT MASSACRE

Historians reject PM's 'distortions'

Thammasat University will stage discussion of tragedy to put record straight on 'unlearned history'

Historians will hold a discussion in Thai and English to counter what they call Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's distortion of the facts over the October 6, 1976 student massacre.

Akkharaphong Khamkhun, a lecturer in Southeast Asian Studies at Thammasat Univer-sity, said a panel discussion on "From October 14th, to the 6th, and Bloody May: The Unlearned Lessons of Our History" will be held tomorrow afternoon from 1pm at Thammasat University's Tha Phrachan Campus.

The panel is organised not only to counter the PM's distortion of the facts of the October 6, 1976 student massacre which took place at the campus but also to encourage Thai society to learn more about the incident, he said.

"It's not only about Samak's distortion, but we see that the incident has been unlearned history in Thai society for over three decades," Akkharaphong said.

Samak recently gave an interview to CNN, stating he was not involved in the massacre as accused and only one unlucky student activist was killed in the incident.

According to an official report, there were 46 deaths.

Akkharaphong said he had sent an email to the prime minister inviting him to listen to the historians on the panel.

Historian Thanet Aphornsuvan, dean of the Faculty of Liberal Arts, will give a talk on "The Painful History and the Unlearned Lesson".

The panel will be held in Thai with an English interpretation in order to counter the prime minister's distortion during his interview with the foreign media, Akkharaphong said.

Former student activists from the 1970s yesterday issued an open letter to condemn Prime Minister Samak.

The former student activists gathered at the October 14 Memorial for a symposium titled "Facts of October 6, 1976" organised by the October 6 Heroes' Relatives Committee and Network to Protect the Spirit of the October Activists.

Among former activists of the 1970s who took part in the symposium were historian Suthachai Yimprasert, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, Wasan Sitthiket, leader of the Artists Party, Pichian Amnartvoraprasert, a member of the Matchima Tipataya Party, and Veera Somkwamkid, secretary-general of the Anti-Corruption Network.

The activists said in their open letter although it was not the anniversary of the uprising, they had gathered to show up Samak.

The letter said it was perfectly clear that many students were killed in the compound of Thammasat University on that day.

It reminded Samak that when he was interior minister at that time, he told foreign reporters that 48 students were killed.

"So why did Samak, who is now the prime minister, give different information to the CNN reporter in a way that makes it seem he regards the incident as a small political accident.

"Isn't this a lie by the prime minister?" the open letter said.

"Samak as of now cannot play the role of an outspoken politician who can make irresponsible statements. We do not believe that Samak has received limited information regarding the incident and we don't believe that Samak has already forgot what happened," the letter said.

"The only thing that can heal us is to tell the truth to society and correct history by accepting the status and cruel truth of the October 6, 1976 incident."

Thai historian Thongchai Winichakul of the University of Wisconsin, Madison, wrote an article condemning Samak for distorting the facts and urging former student activists and others to go beyond the political agenda in criticising Samak.

"Going beyond Samak is the way to make the criticism of him worthwhile for the October 6 cause and to distinguish our criticism of Samak from those opportunists who attack him for the benefit of the anti-Thaksin political camp which includes the real criminals of October 6," he wrote.

Thongchai was among student leaders who were arrested and detained for two years.

The Nation

'Invisible hands' at work to destroy PPP: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej yesterday threatened to retaliate against "invisible hands" he said were trying to destroy the People Power Party.

Samak made the accusation during his weekly "Talk Samak Style" show, broadcast on Channel 11 and Public Relations Department radio stations.

He alleged that "invisible hands" had sent people to extort evidence of electoral fraud from witnesses and get the Election Commission to disqualify People Power MPs.

"I will ask them why are you doing this and who ordered you? Do you want to destroy this party? I will get these people for sure. If I do not say this, they will not stop," he said.

After the show, Samak told reporters he had received a complaint that people in the provinces were being threatened even though the government had already been installed.

He was referring to the people being witnesses in the electoral fraud cases against PPP candidates.

"They have committed an offence. Issuing threats is not legal," he said.

Samak refused to say if the people he accused were from the military.

Samak's claim about invisible hands prompted Cam-paign for Popular Democracy secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila to accuse him of lacking responsibility and leadership.

He said Samak must come forward and indicate who the "invisible hands" are.

"By making such claims, he shows he is irresponsible and lacks leadership," he said.

He said Samak must admit that the government did not get a smooth start because of internal problems, especially over the allocation of interests.

"Outsiders gave the government a chance by accepting the election result, so it should make all efforts to work," he said.

He said the invisible hands could be people in the PPP who tried to order Samak about and caused his frustration.

While on air, the prime minister also attacked the media for several reports over the past week that he said were ill-intended to give the government adverse publicity.

He blasted the coverage of the government's attempt to remove the 30-per-cent capital reserve measure, saying the media misled the public into thinking the government had tried to meddle in the Bank of Thailand's duties.

He said he had assigned Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee to talk to the central bank about the measure.

"He said it was so sensitive that he could not say anything. I said, give them two months and see its progress. Then there were headlines saying I tried to interfere by setting a deadline for them. This is a technique to put the government in a bad light," he said.

He said another report the press tried to fabricate was that the party wanted to push for 111 former Thai Rak Thai executives to sit on the boards of state enterprises.

He also accused the media of trying to create misunderstanding between the government and the Election Commission by reporting that the EC leaked the results of an investigation involving House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat.

"Actually, this EC has greatly contributed to the country by completing the general election without allowing any interference or causing any scandals," he said.

He attacked coverage of the rise in salaries of government officials, saying: "Will anyone in the press die if they don't present this news?"

Samak then retracted his statement and apologised for using strong language.

"This is my style. I cannot help using abrasive language," he said.

The Nation

Invisible hands are correct 100%. When they are on self destruct like they are, it is very hard to find external hands at work. So far everything I have seen they have done to themselves. I guess it is difficult for the criminal type to follow the law. So far, election law with Mr. Y., constitution violation with Mr. J., failure to do anything for other than the 111 impoverished Thais. Yes sir invisible hands hard at work.

in his tele address, he said few times that he'll not give up - he'll find out whose work it is. he said something like: "is it still not enough? still not give up? then I'll also not give up"

this is in reference to all the things he and PPP had to go through to win elections and form a government, and the most recent case involving Mr. Y.