Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

Elect Abhisit and you will get Abhisit who can call on a group of experienced people for guidance.

This is what we were told about Apirak, the 'new breed' Bangkok governor. What has he achieved? Look at the pollution produced by Bangkok buses. A quick trip to the depot for emissions tests could solve the problem, but a simple task like this he isn't capable of.

Elect Abhisit and he will call on a group of experienced ppl with conflicted of interests and hidden agendas.

- has gained control of the skytrain rather than selling it at a bargain price to TRT cronies, and has funded the extensions despite massive protest/blocks by TRT beyond the orginal routes

- about to launch the rapid bus loop to Rama 3 (almost finished) - an additional line of mass transit

- improved NGV buses - this is not an easy one to do when the bus service was a total mess and not directly the responsibility of the BMA anyhow

- improved flood control

- some landscaping

- skywalks and walkways such as the CentralWorld skywalk which was completed and supported by BMA under Apirak

- CCTV in major locations to control bombers (although of course we are aware that these are alledgedly actually police/army loyal to TRT that set off the bombs in CentralWorld area in late 2006 anyhow)

- introducing (for the first time) some actual sound basic budgeting and strategic planning to how the BMA runs rather than endless stop gap measures - we of course need him to stay a bit longer to get more done rather than just a plan

- clear building guidelines and regulations to control city development - far more stringent and green friendly than previously

- introduction of more transparent guidelines for bidding and selecting contractors - still a fair bit of trough feeding but less than before by miles

Compare that to the current PM and former governor:

- corrupt acquisition of some fire trucks

- allowing polystyrene kratongs

- running a cooking show

I agree there's no comparison, Samak's a joke. Although I thought Bhichit did a good job. My example of testing the buses at the depots was something called for by Bhichit when Samak was governor. It's simple and would improve the lives and health of Bangkokians considerably. More so than Skywalks to help them shop, CCTV cameras or taxi call stations.

My point is that having Abhisit as PM, while being better than Samak, wouldn't show a transformation in the political landscape.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The millions of koala bears currently in Thailand give this one a hearty thumbs up... :o

Samak backs Eucalyptus plantations

PM Samak Sundaravej has ignored critics’ claims that Eucalyptus trees are bad for the soil by proposing that this tree, at the centre of much of Australia’s wildlife, be grown in larger numbers in Thailand. Samak announced his decision after attending a weekly cabinet meeting to discuss the possibility of increasing the number of Eucalyptus trees in Thailand – an idea initially proposed by Science and Technology Minister Wutthipong Chaisang. "There has been heavy criticism on plans to grow more Eucalyptus trees in Thailand mainly because of a misunderstanding that these trees have a negative affect on soil," said Samak. "I found out after holding talks with experts on Tuesday, that experimental tests have been conducted on a variation of the Eucalyptus tree. The tests showed that 300 trees will produce two tons of wood within five years if grown in arid land. If grown near rice paddies, 100 trees will produce five tons of wood in five years. The roots will also act as fertilizer for the rice," Samak explained.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126042

==================================================================

A real authority on science and technology.... From The Nation's Cabinet Profiles:

post-9005-1203492554.jpg

Wutthipong Chaisang: Science Minister

Wutthipong, 49, Chachoengsao MP, the younger brother of Chaturon Chaisang, the former Thai Rak Thai Party Caretaker Leader who was banned from politics for five years. Chaturon pushed for his brother to get his first ministerial post.

Elect Abhisit and you will get Abhisit who can call on a group of experienced people for guidance.

This is what we were told about Apirak, the 'new breed' Bangkok governor. What has he achieved? Look at the pollution produced by Bangkok buses. A quick trip to the depot for emissions tests could solve the problem, but a simple task like this he isn't capable of.

Elect Abhisit and he will call on a group of experienced ppl with conflicted of interests and hidden agendas.

- has gained control of the skytrain rather than selling it at a bargain price to TRT cronies, and has funded the extensions despite massive protest/blocks by TRT beyond the orginal routes

- about to launch the rapid bus loop to Rama 3 (almost finished) - an additional line of mass transit

- improved NGV buses - this is not an easy one to do when the bus service was a total mess and not directly the responsibility of the BMA anyhow

- improved flood control

- some landscaping

- skywalks and walkways such as the CentralWorld skywalk which was completed and supported by BMA under Apirak

- CCTV in major locations to control bombers (although of course we are aware that these are alledgedly actually police/army loyal to TRT that set off the bombs in CentralWorld area in late 2006 anyhow)

- introducing (for the first time) some actual sound basic budgeting and strategic planning to how the BMA runs rather than endless stop gap measures - we of course need him to stay a bit longer to get more done rather than just a plan

- clear building guidelines and regulations to control city development - far more stringent and green friendly than previously

- introduction of more transparent guidelines for bidding and selecting contractors - still a fair bit of trough feeding but less than before by miles

Compare that to the current PM and former governor:

- corrupt acquisition of some fire trucks

- allowing polystyrene kratongs

- running a cooking show

I agree there's no comparison, Samak's a joke. Although I thought Bhichit did a good job. My example of testing the buses at the depots was something called for by Bhichit when Samak was governor. It's simple and would improve the lives and health of Bangkokians considerably. More so than Skywalks to help them shop, CCTV cameras or taxi call stations.

My point is that having Abhisit as PM, while being better than Samak, wouldn't show a transformation in the political landscape.

OK, I'm wrong. You do care about facts.

On Abhisit, I think YoungHusband put it best a few posts ago when he wrote:

"In any case these guys (Abhisit and Korn) had an elite education certainly, thank God, but do not slavishly serve the interests of the Thai establishment.There's just a chance that this pair might transform the political landscape."

Checking for emissions doesn't make buses cleaner - it's only the first step. After that you need either to decommission them (impossible), convert them to NGV (impossible for some old models, I guess), or replace their engines (nearly impossible). It's not only the issue of regular maintanance, they are just old, they've been in operation for decades. Just imagine what their mileage is.

Don't also forget that many are run by private operators and even the "government" ones are run by BMTA with their own budgeting and their own administration.

Under these circumstances Apirak is not doing too bad on pollution control.

Just some cheap political point scoring by the Democrats

and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected.

now it looks like this issue will be given more attention - on the government level :

House may debate Oct 6 event after policy debate: Yongyuth

Parliament President Yongyuth Tiyapairaj said the House of Representatives may decide whether to hold a debate on the October 6 1976 student massacre after the debate on the government's policies.

Remembering his refusal to debate Abhisit in pre-election times, mentioning the word "debate" strikes fear into the foible-prone Samak...

so he....

will...

Samak says he will stop talking about Oct 6 event

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Wednesday that he will stop talking about the October 6 1976 event.

"I would like this issue to stop as soon as possible. Period. We have discussed it more than enough already. People told me to start working now," Samak siad.

When asked to comment on the call for setting up of a central committee to set the record straight regarding to the event, Samak replied: "I won't object to anyone doing anything but for me, I'll stop talking about this."

- The Nation

More on who’s the boss. Apparently Thaksin is due to play golf with the PM of Cambodia. Sound a lot like the Thaksin of before the coup rubbing shoulders with heads of other countries.

(BangkokPost.com) - Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej denied speculation on Wednesday that he is to meet ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra during his official visit to Cambodia.

"I don't know anything about this," Mr Samak, who will make a one-day visit to the neighbouring country on March 3, told reporters.

"If there is a plan to meet, at least as prime minister I have to know it in advance. But there is no such appointment," he added.

His statement came amid reports that Mr Thaksin is to play golf with Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen in Phnom Penh in March.

more here:http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=126043

No meeting with Thaksin in Cambodia : Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Wednesday dismissed news report that that he would meet deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra in Cambodia, where he is to make an official visit next month.

"I don't know anything about this," Samak said. He was responding to news report that he will meet the ousted Thai premier during his visit to Phnom Penh scheduled on March 3.

"If there is a plan to meet, at least as prime minister I have to know it in advance. But there is no such appointment," he said

A news report said earlier that Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen invited Thaksin to come to Cambodia to play golf with him, the same period Samak would make an official visit.

Thai Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama also denied that there would be such meeting.

Prior to the Cambodian trip, Samak said he would also make a two-day official visit to neighbouring Laos on February 29.

"The purpose of my visit is to introduce myself," Samak said.

Samak said he hoped to visit Thailand's other two neighbours, military-ruled Myanmar and Malaysia, but he gave no further details.

The Nation

Hi.

It looks like Ando is in denial.

Not in denial at all. The historical facts speak for themselves. And I agree the massacre was a dreadful part of Thailands history.

But the fact is that dredging it up now wont help Thailand to address the pressing economic problems that face it today.

As I stated earlier, the only people who give a dam and who are continuing to raise this old issue in the media are people with other agendas apart from the countries best interests.

The average Thai voter is not interested in this political trash talk. They are more concerned about the price of things like rice, cooking oil and gasoline.

Taking the high moral ground 32 years too late, is well, 32 years too late for the Thai public to be profoundly moved by it. More important things at hand to worry about right now.

Yesterdays news and a passing fad for the Democrats who don't have much else to offer. Just a political ploy by the Democrats to undermine their opponent.

Next week it will be something else to complain about. That is the nature of negative politics.

And as I also said earlier, while the Democrats keep playing to their narrow audience of academics, elites and middle class Bangkockians, they have buckleys chance of ever getting elected to govern the country.

I personally feel its a terrible shame that the Democrats cant get a grip on how democracy works as they could be a real bonus for the country if they ever got organized.

Ho Hum. 32 years old history and now all of a sudden its front page news.

Well today it is anyway. Tomorrow it will be once again forgotten.

Just some cheap political point scoring by the Democrats when they ought to be focusing on the countries future. Shows their priorioties I guess.

While the academics may enjoy the debate, the average voter in Thailand is more interested in the rising cost of living and the general economy than something that happened over 3 decades ago. Abhasit is preaching to the converted here while Samak gets on with the job at hand. So much for the opposition.

Cheap post, are you family of Samak? History should never be forgotten!

OK, I'm wrong. You do care about facts.

On Abhisit, I think YoungHusband put it best a few posts ago when he wrote:

"In any case these guys (Abhisit and Korn) had an elite education certainly, thank God, but do not slavishly serve the interests of the Thai establishment.There's just a chance that this pair might transform the political landscape."

There's a good chance that they may improve the political landscape, but no matter how good they are they'd never transform it.

Remember Samak won the governer election in Bangkok by a landslide. He easily beat Bhichit who had made noticeable improvements and was very popular with students who thought he was funny. These students didn't know or care about events in '76, even though it was being heavily publicized by Samak opponents.

The Bangkok electorate is the most educated in the country and vote buying here in negligible. So I can't see any transformation around the corner.

Bhichit didn't run in those elections, if you care about facts. Samak's main contender was Sudarat. Tawatchai run as a Democrat candidate.

>>>>

As I stated earlier, the only people who give a dam and who are continuing to raise this old issue in the media are people with other agendas apart from the countries best interests.

The average Thai voter is not interested in this political trash talk. They are more concerned about the price of things like rice, cooking oil and gasoline.

The average Thai voter does not care about country's best interests either.

Earlier people were talking about Abhisit's education. Yes, he's not your average Thai person, but what is the alternative? A guy with six years of some village school where no one has seen a computer in their lives?

Democracy is not about worshiping mediocrity - that's how communists see it - putting proletariat at the top.

I've repeated it several times - Abhisit is simply too good, too civil for this country.

Hi.

It looks like Ando is in denial.

Not in denial at all. The historical facts speak for themselves. And I agree the massacre was a dreadful part of Thailands history.

But the fact is that dredging it up now wont help Thailand to address the pressing economic problems that face it today.

Taking the high moral ground 32 years too late, is well, 32 years too late for the Thai public to be profoundly moved by it. More important things at hand to worry about right now.

Yesterdays news and a passing fad for the Democrats *and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected and also can now add Samak's own People Power Party* who don't have much else to offer. Just a political ploy by the Democrats *and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected and can now also add Samak's own People Power Party* to undermine their opponent.

Next week it will be something else to complain about. That is the nature of negative politics.

And as I also said earlier, while the Democrats *and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected and can also now add Samak's own People Power Party* keep playing to their narrow audience of academics, elites and middle class Bangkockians, they have buckleys chance of ever getting elected to govern the country.

I personally feel its a terrible shame that the Democrats *and PPP-coalition partner Matchima Thipataya Party and PPP-controlling Thai Rak Thai Party, as well as other politicians, academics, business leaders.... and a whole host of other assorted groups that were affected and also now add Samak's own People Power Party* cant get a grip on how democracy works as they could be a real bonus for the country if they ever got organized.

Re-posting your previous post's comments prompts re-posting of other previous posts...

Edited by sriracha john

The idea is that Thaksin, and now Samak, are people's first tries at politics. They are mistakes they are supposed to learn from before they realise value of politicians like Abhisit.

That's the only alternative to the coup/royally appointed PM I've seen in two years.

I don't believe for a second Thaksin would have let his voters to realise he was a fraud and vote for someone else, but after the coup we have an easy example of Samak, unlike Thaksin he won't cling to power at any cost - but if Isanese can't learn anything from electing him, there's no hope of avoiding "failed state" status for Thailand.

No meeting with Thaksin in Cambodia : Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej on Wednesday dismissed news report that that he would meet deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra in Cambodia, where he is to make an official visit next month.

This headline and lead in is a small example of a misunderstanding in the making....a reading of the article shows that in fact Samak did not deny that there will be a meeting in Cambodia....all he said was that there has been no appointment made for such a meeting. In no way is he saying that he will not meet with Toxin....so....if on this trip he actually does meet with Toxin (fine with me...who cares?....what's the problem?) I hope that people won't post here about how he lied about this....at least this article does not indicate that Samak will not meet with Toxin...only that there is presently no appointment scheduled.

Chownah

Another thing.....when Samak was interviewed by a Thai woman quite awhile ago and in that interview he asked her if she had had immoral intercourse (or something to that effect) the night before........remember that?.....it was mentioned I don't know how many times here and is obliquely referred to even now from time to time.....that question of his.....well....I fully understand why he said it and I think it was really funny and in a sense quite appropriate for him to do that and there was a method to this unexpected question....he did it because she had intentionally asked him an embarrassing question and was expecting him to reveal embarassing details of his parties activities.....so rather than to answer the question he decided to turn the tables on her and see how she would react....to the best of my knowledge she did not answer his embarrassing question and he did not answer hers......I think it was sort of clever and gutsy for him to do that....

Chownah

Clever as a block of wood... When asked a serious question regarding the governing of this land and possible illegal manuevers... he counters with...

He erupted after being asked whether Newin Chidchob and Sudarat Keyuraphan, two top members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, had helped him in compiling the PPP's party-list candidates, a possible violation of the electoral ban.

Using Pali, the sacred language of Buddhism, to bite back at the question that struck a nerve, Samak asked if one of the Siam Rath reporters had had sinful sex the night before.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1661735

It's no wonder then that....

His penchant for vulgarity has earned Samak the nickname "Dog Mouth"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...amp;pid=1777531

Remembering his refusal to debate Abhisit in pre-election times, mentioning the word "debate" strikes fear into the foible-prone Samak...

so he....

will...

Samak says he will stop talking about Oct 6 event

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said Wednesday that he will stop talking about the October 6 1976 event.

"I would like this issue to stop as soon as possible. Period. We have discussed it more than enough already. People told me to start working now," Samak siad.

When asked to comment on the call for setting up of a central committee to set the record straight regarding to the event, Samak replied: "I won't object to anyone doing anything but for me, I'll stop talking about this."

- The Nation

Same fabric.

NO shame.

post-16522-1203528687_thumb.jpgpost-16522-1203528723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony Clifton

Clever as a block of wood... When asked a serious question regarding the governing of this land and possible illegal manuevers... he counters with...
He erupted after being asked whether Newin Chidchob and Sudarat Keyuraphan, two top members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, had helped him in compiling the PPP's party-list candidates, a possible violation of the electoral ban.

Using Pali, the sacred language of Buddhism, to bite back at the question that struck a nerve, Samak asked if one of the Siam Rath reporters had had sinful sex the night before.

Yeah, he did demonstrate cleverness in his reply!!!! mostly its blocks of wood that can't see this. She asked an embarassing and easily denyable question so rather than answering he turned the tables on her and asked the same!!!.....the result was a standoff....as expected. Really, think about it....isn't a journalist just a bit lacking in abilities to basically ask, "did you or did you not do something last night which could have you thrown in jail and your political party disbanded?"....which is in effect what she did......would you expect anyone to answer such a question if it was posed in a public interview?...I wouldn't.....its called a "setup".

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Yeah, he did demonstrate cleverness in his reply!!!! mostly its blocks of wood that can't see this. She asked an embarassing and easily denyable question so rather than answering he turned the tables on her and asked the same!!!.....the result was a standoff....as expected. Really, think about it....isn't a journalist just a bit lacking in abilities to basically ask, "did you or did you not do something last night which could have you thrown in jail and your political party disbanded?"....which is in effect what she did......would you expect anyone to answer such a question if it was posed in a public interview?...I wouldn't.....its called a "setup".

Chownah

It might be more rewarding to ponder why you are alone in this assessment of yours for this situation.

Another international news media interview.... another round of :o and :D and :D

Video of Samak's interview with Selena Downes, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Bangkok:

Part 1:

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/28918-101-ea...9-feb-08-part-1

Part 2:

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/28921-101-ea...9-feb-08-part-2

------------------------------------

Following his lies over 1976 on CNN, come the lies now about Tak Bai, etc.

The video of the CNN interview is now also available here:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/inter...ref=videosearch

=========================================================================

Regarding the above interviews, we have a new explanation...

He's now answering questions based on what journalists intended to ask and not what they actually ask...

And if there's any misunderstandings that develop, it's all on their part, not his....

Government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said Samak did not object to attempts to study the massacre. He also quoted Samak as telling cabinet members, some of them former student activists, that he did not mean to cause unease. A source in the cabinet said Samak told ministers not to worry about the row and that his remark was misinterpreted. "What they intended to ask me is when I was there, how many deaths I witnessed. So I told them I saw only one death. This has been misinterpreted," he was quoted as saying.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/21Feb2008_news12.php

Edited by sriracha john

Chownah

It might be more rewarding to ponder why you are alone in this assessment of yours for this situation.

Obviusly it is the company I keep on this thread!!!

Chownah

You don't need to be an Einstein to find the answer for that question - because most members who might come to similarly educated conclusions have either been banned or have been more mature and left these infantile debates a long time ago. :o

Anyhow - many of you do yourselves and the discussion a very serious disservice by following the assessment of Samak as some sort of idiotic thug. He is the opposite - highly intelligent, more than well connected, in Thai context he is very educated. He is an arrogant feudalist, brutal and ruthless, and therefore very dangerous (no - he is not just Thaksin's hireling, that should be clear by now). Taking the piss in such an infantile way does underestimate his power and danger. Please educate yourselves. There is more than enough literature available about events where he played a role, and where his astonishingly high level connections are stated.

As to the present '76 debate - very ironic.

Why don't you ask yourselves the obvious question? Why did the Democrats not attack Samak about his role about '76 (and afterwards) while they have formed the government? Why did the Democrats not follow the demands of '76 surviviors for an open investigation while the Democrats were in power?

Read statements of people like Thongchai Winitchakul (survivor of '76), Jai Ungpakorn (son of Pueh Ungpakorn - dean of Thammasat University during the events of '76, and nearly murdered as well during his escape from Thailand), asking for a complete discussion on '76. Why is that not happening and only Samak is attacked.

Yes, Samak should be attacked, his role should be discussed. But remember please, Samak was one of many people with blood on their hands. There are others in high and exalted places who were in far higher positions than Samak during '76, and still are. Whose very close advisor was Samak in that era (a tip - it was a certain female).

Look at pictures of village scout meetings during and after these events - who is shown in many of the promotional pictures as well? Many people of all sectors of the Thai power elites, which are still in powerful positions.

If the society is not ready for an open discussion on '76, then it really should better not be mentioned at all. Especially not in this context of just another dirty political game, in which the '76 massaker is instrumentalized and therefore trivialized, just to get an elected government out by powers that cannot resign to the fact that their opponents were elected. And some of whom, ironically, have been on the same, or similar, side of the fence in '76 as Samak was.

But what can we do - when people prefer to receive their knowledge of history solely from newspapers, especially current news, and refuse to read and internalize available literature that deals with these now highly incompletely and selectively debated events, then all debate is futile. :D

Actually, while we are just at it - why is it that so many westerners, as we can see here, with an obvious background and ability to apply intelligence have given up their brains at the customs desk when entering the Land of Smile, and now blindly follow infantile ideology and propaganda?

PM urges all ministries to develop 1 year plan

The Prime Minister urged all ministries to expedite the development of national management plans to address Thailand's economic issues within 1 year.

Minister attached to the Office of the Prime Minister Jakrapob Penkair (จักรภพ เพ็ญแข), in his capacity as government spokesman, reports that the Cabinet has appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Education, Mr. Somchai Wongsawat (สมชาย วงศ์สวัสดิ์ ), to head committees responsible for developing Thailand's national management plans, establishing 4 year operational plans for each ministry, and setting operational plans for the 2009 fiscal year.

Mr. Jakrapob reveals that Parliament has been notified that the committees will also expedite the development of urgent 1 year plans to handle the nation's economic issues. He said that Deputy Prime Minister Somchai has been assigned to reduce national expenditure, increase citizen and national revenue, promote investment, and preserve the nation's natural resources and environment.

Mr. Jakrapob added that the Prime Minister and Cabinet are scheduled to meet with foreign Ambassadors at Government House on February 26 in order to strengthen diplomatic ties as well as convey Thailand's new national policies.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 February 2008

If you have ASTV 1, they're running a black and white movie that had been banned by Samak at the time, he had also used the footage to brand and target some who dared to speak in the movie, saying they were communists. Rings a bell doesn't it? It is a drama-documentary about a water dam, water management and the corruption surrounding the whole project, villagers displaced and lied to. The movie is playing today at different hours it seems, for the first time since it was banned back then. Quite interesting look at the past. I believe Samak was interior minister at the time.

The movie title is Thongpan. (Villager's name)

Try and ban that movie again now you faking amnesic of a PM. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Chownah

Obviusly it is the company I keep on this thread!!!

Chownah

The comment covers not only this thread, this forum, or any other forum...it extends further to local media, international media, any blogging on the topic, or any verbal discussions of the issue.

I've not seen or heard a single assessment or opinion expressed, anywhere, on this situation that mirrors yours in which Samak comes out on the positive side and deserving of praise.

You don't need to be an Einstein to find the answer for that question - because most members who might come to similarly educated conclusions have either been banned or have been more mature and left these infantile debates a long time ago. :o

Anyhow - many of you do yourselves and the discussion a very serious disservice by following the assessment of Samak as some sort of idiotic thug. He is the opposite - highly intelligent, more than well connected, in Thai context he is very educated. He is an arrogant feudalist, brutal and ruthless, and therefore very dangerous (no - he is not just Thaksin's hireling, that should be clear by now). Taking the piss in such an infantile way does underestimate his power and danger. Please educate yourselves. There is more than enough literature available about events where he played a role, and where his astonishingly high level connections are stated.

As to the present '76 debate - very ironic.

Why don't you ask yourselves the obvious question? Why did the Democrats not attack Samak about his role about '76 (and afterwards) while they have formed the government? Why did the Democrats not follow the demands of '76 surviviors for an open investigation while the Democrats were in power?

Read statements of people like Thongchai Winitchakul (survivor of '76), Jai Ungpakorn (son of Pueh Ungpakorn - dean of Thammasat University during the events of '76, and nearly murdered as well during his escape from Thailand), asking for a complete discussion on '76. Why is that not happening and only Samak is attacked.

Yes, Samak should be attacked, his role should be discussed. But remember please, Samak was one of many people with blood on their hands. There are others in high and exalted places who were in far higher positions than Samak during '76, and still are. Whose very close advisor was Samak in that era (a tip - it was a certain female).

Look at pictures of village scout meetings during and after these events - who is shown in many of the promotional pictures as well? Many people of all sectors of the Thai power elites, which are still in powerful positions.

If the society is not ready for an open discussion on '76, then it really should better not be mentioned at all. Especially not in this context of just another dirty political game, in which the '76 massaker is instrumentalized and therefore trivialized, just to get an elected government out by powers that cannot resign to the fact that their opponents were elected. And some of whom, ironically, have been on the same, or similar, side of the fence in '76 as Samak was.

But what can we do - when people prefer to receive their knowledge of history solely from newspapers, especially current news, and refuse to read and internalize available literature that deals with these now highly incompletely and selectively debated events, then all debate is futile. :D

Actually, while we are just at it - why is it that so many westerners, as we can see here, with an obvious background and ability to apply intelligence have given up their brains at the customs desk when entering the Land of Smile, and now blindly follow infantile ideology and propaganda?

OK we comply with your request. Banned.