Flying Abroad Vs. Border Run More Legit?

Hi,

I am US citizen. My one-year non-imm B has expired (and I already used the 21-day extension), but for family reasons I cannot return to the US to get a new non-imm B until December. To stay in thailand until then,

I must either:

-- do border run (Mae Sai, Aran, etc.) twice, getting one month each time

-- get two-month tourist visa somewhere abroad such as Hong Kong, singapore.

Correct these my only options?

My main question is this. I want to make sure my request for another non-imm B is approved when I get to the US. Will the consulate frown upon seeing two consecutive border trips in the passport? Is it considered less "legitimate" than flying to Hong Kong? On the other hand, if I return Hong Kong with a tourist visa, would that be questioned?

I'd appreciate hearing from the experts as well as people who've gone through similar.

Thank you,

David

For a longer stay, you can get a Double Entry Tourist Visa.

60 days + 30 day extension on the first entry

Border hop

60 days + 30 day extension on the second entry.

All very legitimate.

Neither Hongkong nor Singapore are the best places for visa application.

Malaysia will be better, preferably Penang.

Why not go to Savannekhet in Laos? If you can get through the 10 hour bus journey to Mukdahan you can find a Thai embassy just across the border. I dropped my passport in at 10am and it was returned at 3pm with a b visa. Tourist visas should be just as quick.

For a longer stay, you can get a Double Entry Tourist Visa.

60 days + 30 day extension on the first entry

Border hop

60 days + 30 day extension on the second entry.

All very legitimate.

Sorry I'm a bit confused. You can get a 60-day tourist visa with border run? I thought it was only the 30 day visa on arrival.

Also, I understand that it is legitimate, yes, but I was wondering if anyone would not like it if they saw that I did two border runs -- or stayed on a two-month tourist visa -- before returning to US to apply for next B visa. I'm just worried that this does not "look good" -- in whatever way -- just before applying for next B visa.

Thank you for your help,

David

He advised you to get a two entry tourist visa at Penang and then after the first stay of 60 plus 30 you just cross a border to start your second entry. You do not get any kind of visa at or crossing a border. The 30 day entry without visa is not a visa.

You did not give reasons or how you intend to obtain a B visa or what you are doing here so it is really hard to guess what someone might think. As a B visa has nothing to do with family but you say that is reason you are unable to travel am even more confused that I normally am. :o

After reading previous posts get some understanding of your fears. I would urge you to try and make your position here legal if not so now. You might want to discuss possibilities with one of the firms supporting this forum (or others) if you plan long term status here.

As a B visa has nothing to do with family but you say that is reason you are unable to travel am even more confused that I normally am. :o

Don't worry about it Lopburi, it comes to us all with old age. :D

Edited by astral

Reply to Astral:

Why is Malaysia or Penang better for a visa application than Sg. or HK?

Thanks,

Twin

Both the Hongkong and Singapore Thai Embassies have reputations for being unhelpful, even downright rude to visa applicants.

I don't know why, just my own and other's experiences.

Malaysia has a better attitude.