Email Scam

jobsite

I recieved this email last week, realized strait away what is was, but thought lets see how it works, I followed the instructions to the book, all my info was made up, but still came back that it was genuine :o

the last response i stated i could pick up in person, no reply as yet. Do people actually fall for this? See how many mistakes you can spot?

1ST EMAIL:

Dear Customer,

Your Email appears to be one of the 3 Lucky Winners for January Lucky

Draws which consequently won for you £1,500,000 GBP (One Million Five

Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds Sterling).

You are advised to contact and state your Winning Numbers

17,67,28,77,45,32,01 to your Claims Personnel below for further

verification and processing of your claims;

Contact Person: Mr. Dylan Rhys

Email Address: [email protected] Mrs.Claudia Wolf.

2ND EMAIL:

Dear Winner,

On Behalf of the Company, I say Congratulations to you for being a winner in this Grand Category (A+). We have received your email with utmost delight in the Visa Credit Card Lottery Promotions programs held in London and the few eligible winners (Three) contacted personally.

All Participants were selected through a Computer Balloting System drawn from a pool of over 25,000 E-mails of distinguished World Wide Web (WWW) drawn from Europe, America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East, parts of Africa, and South America. As part of our International Promotions Program conducted annually to encourage prospective overseas entries. We hope that with part of your Prize awards, you will take part in our subsequent Lottery Jackpots.

In line with the Governing rules of claim, you are requested to furnish us the following information

1. Full Names.

2. Residential Address.

3. Occupation.

4. Tel/Fax.

5. Date of Birth.

6. Nationality.

7. Winning Numbers.

Do understand that, this is done to ensure that, we are dealing with the rightful winner in this Category to avoid double claiming by non-winners as your winning amount is £1,500,000 GBP (One million Five hundred thousand great British pounds sterling) and as such cannot afford any uncertainty.

In Receipt of the required information we shall start with the verification, processing and certification of your claims.

Importantly, for the enablement of your Claims, you are advised to comply with our payout procedures, as these are mere formalities that will guarantee payment of prizes to all qualified winners in this Category and not to Non Winners.

Furthermore note that, all prizes should be claimed not later than the stipulated Deadline. After this date, all unclaimed prizes will be returned to the British Gaming Board (B.G.:D which will be in turn sent to the Lottery Commission for subsequent Lottery Draws.

Upon the Acknowledgement of the above, we shall start the immediate verification and processing of your Claims.

Mr. Dylan Rhys,

Direct Tel: +44 704 570 9498

Fax: +44 709 288 7389.

Email: [email protected]

3RD EMAIL:

Dear Tim Edward Smith,

I wish to inform you that, your claim files have been successfully processed and approved for payment. All arrangement has been finalized accordingly. Having done a proper verification, we found you worthy of the sum of £1,500,000.00 GBP (One Million Five Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds) credited to the file reference number: Ref N0: UKHQVCCARD/003/2008 and as such, the Lottery Payment Service have made out a Certified Cheque in your favor.

In view of this, you are advised to choose from the available delivery options to enable us complete the necessary formalities and deliver your cheque and original copy of your lottery award winning certificate to your resident immediately.

1: Express Plus Delivery: In this option, you would be required to receive your Certified Bank Cheque and the original copy of your Lottery Award Winning Certificate within 24 hours.

2: Express Delivery: In this second option, your Certified Bank Cheque and the original copy of your Lottery Award Winning Certificate will arrives your resident within 48-72 hours.

NOTE: You will be responsible to pay the cost of courier to our office to deliver the parcel to your resident as explained below.

EXPRESS PLUS DELIVERY OPTION

The total cost of courier required in this option including your Insurance and Administrative Charges are stated below.

Cost of Freight................................... £165 GBP

Insurance ............................................£220 GBP

Administrative Charges................... £150 GBP

Total Amount.................................... £535 GBP

EXPRESS DELIVERY OPTION

The total cost of courier required in this option including your Insurance and Administrative Charges are stated below.

Cost of Freight ………………...………....£55 GBP

Insurance …………………………..........£220 GBP

Administrative Charges………..………£150 GBP

Total Amount…………………………...£425 GBP

Importantly, do understand that this amount can not be deducted from your winning because a cheque of your total winning amount has been made out in your name. Therefore, the charges will be paid to our office by you before we can dispatch your parcel to your resident.

You are therefore advised to notify us your choice of delivery to enable us inform you on how to transfer the courier charges to us for further actions.

Please give me a telephone call as soon as you receive this email so that we can discuss, my telephone number is given below.

Once more, I say Congratulations from all Members of Staff and a prosperous new year.

Mr. Dylan Rhys,

4TH EMAIL:

Dear Tim Edward Smith,

In response to your mail message.

Your Deadline date for claims is 10th March 2008.

Once more, I say Congratulations from all Members of Staff and a prosperous new year.

Mr. Dylan Rhys,

Er, do you think that pretty-much everyone else on this forum hasn't had hundreds of these things already? Anyway, where does it mention Thailand?

P.S. And no, I don't have to laugh.

Edited by micksterbs

I get nervous when I don't win at least 10-15 million a week!

Lately though, I've been getting research funding money as well!

What's next, rebates from the revenue department?

Some people will fall for it I expect, there are so many e-mail scams going on though, there will be very few people that are not aware of them.

Non internet junkies will be the target, not hard bitten Forum professionals as we have here.

Dirty trick actually, to prey on the ignorance of others. :o

• 3 weeks later...

This came through Facebook Account:

From Mrs. Gloria Caldwell

Greetings

I know that this letter may be a very big surprise to you, I came across your email contact from my personal search and I believe that you will be honest to fulfill my final wish before I will die.

I am Mrs. Gloria Caldwell from LONDON, I am 58 years old, I am deaf and suffering from a long time cancer of the breast, which the also said is affected my brain. From all indication my condition is really deteriorating, and my doctors have courageously advised me that I may not live beyond the next two months, this is because the cancer stage has reached a critical stage. I was brought up in a motherless baby’s home, and was married to my late husband for twenty years without a child. My husband and I are true Christians, but quite unfortunately, he died in a fatal motor accident.

Since his death I decided not to re-marry, I sold all my inherited belongings and deposited all the sum of $3.2million dollars with a Security Company. Presently, this money is still in their custody, and the management just wrote me as the legitimate depositor to inform me of the maturity date of my deposit or rather issue a letter of authorization to somebody to receive it on my behalf since I can not come over as a result of my illness, or they get it confiscated. Presently, I'm with my laptop in a hospital where I have been undergoing treatment. I have since lost my ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only a few months to live.

It is my last wish to see that this money is invested in any organization of your choice and proceeds distributed each year among the charity organization, the poor and the motherless baby’s orphanage homes and widows around. I must let you know that this was a very hard decision, but I had to take a bold step towards this issue because I have no further option. I hope you will help see my last wishes come true.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Security Company. I will also issue you a letter of authority, which will prove that you are the new beneficiary of my funds. Please assure me that you will act Accordingly as I stated herein. Hope to hear from you soonest.

Awaiting your reply this email address [email protected]

Yours in Christ,

Mrs. Gloria Caldwell

:o

and this one in our company maibox

Daniel David <[email protected]>

Sent: Thu Dec 25 14:52

To:

[email protected]

Subject:

Booking!

Greeting,

Its a great pleasure to let you know that am interested in booking a

space for some of our staff in your hotel which the total is for 6

people that will be coming for vacation in your area on the 20th March

to 30th March 2008. If you have vacancy for the specified period, give

me the total cost for the whole period of 3 single or double rooms for

10 nights for 6 guest. Also, confirm if you will accept major credit

card for your payment. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from

soon.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Daniel David,

Baird Hall,

High Street

Linlithgow,

+447024062538

West Lothian EH49 7ES

Scotland

This is a real classic...

CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)

INTERNATIONAL OPERATION DEPT.

CBN HOUSE, LAGOS NIGERIA.

TELEGRAM: CENBANK

REF NO: AUTH 10/IOD/2020/07

REPLY TO: [email protected]

GOOD DAY,

VERIFICATION OF YOUR PAYMENT FILE.

FROM THE RECORDS OF OUTSTANDING CONTRACTORS, NEXT OF KIN FUND AND INHERITTANCE FUNDS DUE FOR IMMEDIATE PAYMENT, YOUR NAME/PARTICULARS WAS DISCOVERED AS NEXT ON THE LIST BUT THE PROBLEM WE ARE HAVING IS THAT SOMEONE SAID YOU ARE DEAD :D AND HE IS YOUR NEXT OF KIN.

I WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR PAYMENT IS BEING PROCESSED TO BE MADE TO YOUR NEXT OF KIN AND FROM THE RECORD IN MY FILE YOUR OUTSTANDING PART PAYMENT IS THREE MILLION SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS OUT OF NINE MILLION FIVE HUNDERED THOUSAND DOLLARS.

KINDLY RE-CONFIRM TO ME THE FOLLOWINGS IF YOU ARE STILL ALIVE: :o

1) YOUR FULL NAME

2) CONTACT ADDRESS.

3) PHONE, FAX AND MOBILE #.

4) COMPANY NAME, POSITION AND ADDRESS.

5) PROFESSION, AGE AND MARITAL STATUS.

FROM INFORMATION REACHING US, THAT YOU ARE DEAD THROUGH HURRYCAN THAT AFFECCTED YOUR COUNTRY RECENTLY. AS SOON AS WE CONFIRM THAT YOU ALIVE, YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE MADE THROUGH INTERNATIONAL FUND TRANSFER ELETRONIC SYSTEM TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.

REGARDS,

DR.TUNDE LEMO

DEPUTY GOVERNOR,

INTERNATIONAL OPERATION DEPT.

CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA (CBN)

CALL ME URGENTLY ON THIS NUMBER: +234-802-940-2024

no one really believe those mails.. isn't?

Sadly some do, and it's invariably those who can ill afford to lose the up-front payment that is invariably requested before 'payment' can be processed.

An Indian friend of a work collegue fell for one, and lost their life savings, only a grand or two US, but to them everything :o

This came through Facebook Account:

From Mrs. Gloria Caldwell

Greetings

I know that this letter may be a very big surprise to you, I came across your email contact from my personal search and I believe that you will be honest to fulfill my final wish before I will die.

I am Mrs. Gloria Caldwell from LONDON, I am 58 years old, I am deaf and suffering from a long time cancer of the breast, which the also said is affected my brain. From all indication my condition is really deteriorating, and my doctors have courageously advised me that I may not live beyond the next two months, this is because the cancer stage has reached a critical stage. I was brought up in a motherless baby's home, and was married to my late husband for twenty years without a child. My husband and I are true Christians, but quite unfortunately, he died in a fatal motor accident.

Since his death I decided not to re-marry, I sold all my inherited belongings and deposited all the sum of $3.2million dollars with a Security Company. Presently, this money is still in their custody, and the management just wrote me as the legitimate depositor to inform me of the maturity date of my deposit or rather issue a letter of authorization to somebody to receive it on my behalf since I can not come over as a result of my illness, or they get it confiscated. Presently, I'm with my laptop in a hospital where I have been undergoing treatment. I have since lost my ability to talk and my doctors have told me that I have only a few months to live.

It is my last wish to see that this money is invested in any organization of your choice and proceeds distributed each year among the charity organization, the poor and the motherless baby's orphanage homes and widows around. I must let you know that this was a very hard decision, but I had to take a bold step towards this issue because I have no further option. I hope you will help see my last wishes come true.

As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Security Company. I will also issue you a letter of authority, which will prove that you are the new beneficiary of my funds. Please assure me that you will act Accordingly as I stated herein. Hope to hear from you soonest.

Awaiting your reply this email address [email protected]

Yours in Christ,

Mrs. Gloria Caldwell

:D

and this one in our company maibox

Daniel David <[email protected]>

Sent: Thu Dec 25 14:52

To:

[email protected]

Subject:

Booking!

Greeting,

Its a great pleasure to let you know that am interested in booking a

space for some of our staff in your hotel which the total is for 6

people that will be coming for vacation in your area on the 20th March

to 30th March 2008. If you have vacancy for the specified period, give

me the total cost for the whole period of 3 single or double rooms for

10 nights for 6 guest. Also, confirm if you will accept major credit

card for your payment. Thank you and looking forward to hearing from

soon.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Daniel David,

Baird Hall,

High Street

Linlithgow,

+447024062538

West Lothian EH49 7ES

Scotland

If I am not busy ie. if I am at work :o I always respond to these in a manner than makes them respond to to me personally. Give a/c numbers one digit short or phone numbers of time share operators etc.

I have a host of russian brides frantically writing to me now and a nigerian "heiress" wanting to take money out of the country, who I told the story that I had sold my house in USA as my wife left me and i had cancer. She thinks I am hoping to meet her to live out my days in Bangkok. Perhaps she/he/they will just be stupid enough to pay for tickets to meet me here.

Passes the working day and perhaps we can cost them a bit of wasted time and money along the way along with the wasted time and money we cost our bosses!!

Sad that some people do belive them and I have some sympathy for them... so long is its not greed driven.

I am aware of a friend of a friend (I met the guy in question once) that is very wealthy, living in Pattaya that spoke about a gold "deal" that he was in on during December. My friend passed on details of one of the 419 fraud web sites, which resulted in something of a red face when the pair met up during the new year. There was no mention of how much he lost if he had in fact parted with any of the "advanced fee", but I was told he changed the subject when investing in gold was discussed.

I understand that in the old days of spam that 1-2% of emails sent resulted in a hit of the seller's web site, of which 10% of those might result in a sale. These days the hits are much lower because of improved spam filters. The "best" 419 scan I heard of was again Nigerian based and asked for account details etc to allow them to refund money to you because a government investigation had discovered money in a scammer's account that they think belonged to you, just send $39.99 processing fee to...... :o

Your odds would be way more favorable in a pyramid scam, especially if you were the 1st,2nd or 3rd person on the top of the pyramid. I would need a huge 18 wheeler double trailer to haul around all the TV's stereos camcorders.........

I used to call the district attn. office till the 3rd time the joker had me call 9 times & talk to every jackawow in Florida(I think he has shares in Pac bell Ma bell or whoever is the phone carrier in Dade county.

Not only that sometimes those sweet E-mails or click here you're the 999,999 (should be more like 666th) carries viruses that search your hard drive & gain any Pass codes in your temporary file or in your shadow copy drive( -more than a reformat) irremovable without a total wipe of your C Drive.

Never open anything that looks bogus. Lets face it No body gives away money. And even if they did you best consult a lawyer before giving out sensitive data that most likely will be sold on the web to many hustlers just waiting for the opportunity to do you! If you were an heir to your family fortune wouldn't you have to meet with the lawyers or board of executors of the estate?

Your chances are better going to Maui & getting bitten by a tiger shark or getting hit by lightning 4 times! how many times has anyone won the big one in a lottery?

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM? &lt;deleted&gt;

Edited by Beardog

A sucker born every minute, These scams are made for them , unfortunately they pray predominantly on the elderly.

when i was younger & was going to college law was my minor- The only thing that changed is now instead of the mail or a pesky telemarketer it is the age of the internet. I wouldn't believe I was a benefactor to a family fortune unless I went back home & reviewed the estate papers with my lawyer. Rule of thumb (never answer the scam letters- If it is really real your embassy will find you(if it is family) In the case of the hard drives the internet forum will confirm on what not to do to allow access to your valuable data.

Plus to I would love to find a good DA to catch one of these pricks & show the bastards face on tv in the U.S. That way in general populous in a federal penitentiary the perpetrator would be getting a taste of his own. No slippery showers for them Don't drop that soap & pick it up! It is a shame with all the manpower devoted to catching the bad guys all the heat ever can find is a deserted telemarketing office or MT warehouse!

Most of the time you can get the monkeys off your back by asking if you mind if I check with the District Attn.'s office & you will get a dead dial tone or if you you reply by E-mail (from an internet cafe & ask the same - you most likely will never receive another E-mail Unless it is a Bot. Always the same MO give us your sensitive data & send us x amt of dollars to pay for some bogus expenses. Like everyone I have gotten these. :o

Edited by Beardog

I'm so used to getting junk mail telling me I've won a bundle and sales people calling from USA or Phillipines telling me how to invest and make a fortune.

I usually send junk back to sender, I figure if everyone does this they'll have a nice water disposal bill. But on two occasions the mail was good. I had won money on bonds (100 stg. approx.). Only noticed it was genuine cheque when I dumped in bin.

Last week got another call from smooth talking Indian and as usual just hung up. Later discovered he was one of my clients.

Also. last week got call from local Charity organisation telling me we had won 100 stg. in some raffle. Didn't take much notice. Cheque arrived tis morning.

The point is ................ I'm sure I had a point when I started.

Some people will fall for it I expect, there are so many e-mail scams going on though, there will be very few people that are not aware of them.

Non internet junkies will be the target, not hard bitten Forum professionals as we have here.

Dirty trick actually, to prey on the ignorance of others. :o

Isn't that the basis of most advertising.

Not just scams like this.

Peoples' ignorance.

I usually send junk back to sender, I figure if everyone does this they'll have a lot of proxy servers jammed.

Hit reply everytime, and hit send, fills their mailboxes too.

I think I have been deleted from many mass mailing lists.

I get very little junk mail now.

Edited by Zpete