The Dark Side

paul1970

TI was wrong about the name, but right about the home source. It's MOKADOR; and it is originally from Italy. I suspect that the source that serves Thailand is "Mokador Caffe Australia". In any case, it really is excellent coffee. You can read about it here:

http://www.mokador.com.au/home.html

Mokador is imported directly from Italy. They have offices in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

The Coffee Shop/Office for Pattaya is in Pattaya Klang other side of the road to Carfore about 50m heading towards 3rd Road.

Lots of places in Pattaya and Jomtien sell it now.

I had Mokador one night in shenanigans - nothing to write home about and clearly not a touch on lavatza or Illy coffee.

Cant say I have ever seen it anywhere in Italy on any of my quite frequent trips so maybe its just some Thailand scam rip off coffee????

I had Mokador one night in shenanigans - nothing to write home about and clearly not a touch on lavatza or Illy coffee.

Cant say I have ever seen it anywhere in Italy on any of my quite frequent trips so maybe its just some Thailand scam rip off coffee????

Lavazza was so;d in single-portion packs for the Lavazza coffee maker - a Siemens product that is far too expensive for what it produces.

With the Mokador - could it be the Shennanigans way of making it that put you off? Maybe portion-control was a touch awry? I would take it over Lavazza any day - provided I was making the coffee

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try the Courtyard recently ? Passed there a few times in the last couple of weeks and always empty, but today at around 3 PM I went past and there was quite a number of cars and bikes parked outside and the place looked quite busy.

Could it be that this place is finally picking up ?

Just wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try the Courtyard recently ? Passed there a few times in the last couple of weeks and always empty, but today at around 3 PM I went past and there was quite a number of cars and bikes parked outside and the place looked quite busy.

Could it be that this place is finally picking up ?

Not yet, Paul, but my wife and I are planning to give it another shot for dinner some night this week. If anybody beats us to it, please post your thoughts and opinions. I'll certainly post mine, following our visit.

Got a little catching up to do. (And so, I suggest, have most of you.) :-)

Last Sunday night, my wife and I enjoyed meeting with a fellow Darksider and his mom for dinner at 'Swiss Paradise'. The company was great, and the food was the usual solid quality. I had one of my favorite items there, the (unbreaded) pork fillets. There's nothing new and exciting to report on 'Swiss Paradise'. Nothing changes more; and that's OK with me. The ambiance, service, and quality of food is, as I said earlier, consistently solid.

Yesterday, I stopped in to 'Chonlada' to try one of Pook's new dishes, Chicken Pasta Salad, which she learned at the Bangkok cooking school she's attending. I liked it very much, and would recommend it to anyone. A week ago, I had tried the pasta carbonera that she has also added to her repetoire. Again, it was very tasty. Neither of these items is on the menu yet. She'll be adding things slowly, as she gains confidence in the ability of her cooks to prepare them.

Later in the day, I went to 'Chester's' for a replay of thier excellent Fish & Chips. I met the English owner, David, for the first time; having previously been hosted only by his wife, Ja. David cautioned me with a claim that Ja does a better job than he on the F&C; but, after I'd finished, I told him that he did just fine, "for a substitute cook". Seriously, it was very good, and very filling.

Now, what have you guys been up to? Are you all on starvation diets?

Got a little catching up to do. (And so, I suggest, have most of you.) :-)

Last Sunday night, my wife and I enjoyed meeting with a fellow Darksider and his mom for dinner at 'Swiss Paradise'. The company was great, and the food was the usual solid quality. I had one of my favorite items there, the (unbreaded) pork fillets. There's nothing new and exciting to report on 'Swiss Paradise'. Nothing changes more; and that's OK with me. The ambiance, service, and quality of food is, as I said earlier, consistently solid.

Yesterday, I stopped in to 'Chonlada' to try one of Pook's new dishes, Chicken Pasta Salad, which she learned at the Bangkok cooking school she's attending. I liked it very much, and would recommend it to anyone. A week ago, I had tried the pasta carbonera that she has also added to her repetoire. Again, it was very tasty. Neither of these items is on the menu yet. She'll be adding things slowly, as she gains confidence in the ability of her cooks to prepare them.

Later in the day, I went to 'Chester's' for a replay of thier excellent Fish & Chips. I met the English owner, David, for the first time; having previously been hosted only by his wife, Ja. David cautioned me with a claim that Ja does a better job than he on the F&C; but, after I'd finished, I told him that he did just fine, "for a substitute cook". Seriously, it was very good, and very filling.

Now, what have you guys been up to? Are you all on starvation diets?

Thanks for the update.

I'm in Belgium now enjoying the local food (and drinks) to the fullest, very very expensive though.

However it's so cold here now that I can't wait to get back next week.

cheers

onzestan

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it for a follow up on the food at 'The Courthouse'. It is definitely better than it was on our last visit there. The western menu is still very limited, and almost entirely English. I tried the English fish cakes, which were just OK, IMO. The French Fries/Chips served with them were terrible. Soft, and oily.

On the other hand, my wife ordered a couple of Thai dishes, and both were very good, in her opinion and mine. I will definitely be open to going there again, but likely to order Thai, rather than western food.

Anybody else been there lately? Opinions?

I also have an update on Chonlada. Pook is continuing to add to her menu, as she learns more at the cooking school in BKK. The latest addition, which I tried on Wednesday, is Spinach Quiche. I really enjoyed it. She plans to add other quiche options, as she know has the basics down.

The menu keeps growing. If you drop by, ask about what might be new, and not yet listed on the menu.

I'm trying to find the Rung Thip. I've driven up and down Soi Neurnplabwan several times and I can't find it. I've waded through posts saying it's on Soi Neurnplabwan, but I can't find any posts that say exactly where it is. Can anyone tell me specifically where it is, maybe a soi number or something that can at least get me close enough to find it?

Can anyone tell me specifically where it is, maybe a soi number or something that can at least get me close enough to find it?.

Rung Thip is sorta hard to find as their sign is very small and obscured by a tree branch. It is about 4 kilos down from Sukhumvit on the LEFT side of the road. It is on a large corner lot with a large parking lot enclosed by a iron grate wall. If you drive past it and end up at the temple at the end of Nernplubwan, just turn around and drive about 1 kilo back and then look out on the right. It's much easier to see coming from this direction. You will drive past a thai style hardware store on your right (on a corner) and RT is next to it.

There is also a google map of the Farside linked to one of the posts in this thread that had RT and many other restaurants mention in this thread marked on it. Or set your odometer to zero when you get to Nernplubwan and when you get to 4 kilos, stop and ask anyone (shopowner or person standing around) where "rhang ahaan Rung Thip" is and they would know.

Hope this helps.

Edited by NotNew2You

If you start at the eastern end of Soi Neurnplabwan at the temple and go west towards Suk. Rd., the road runs straight for approx. half a mile, then bears to the left. The Rung Thip restaurant is right in front of you where the road bears left,so if in fact you went straight on instead of making the left turn you would end up in their car park.

The Rung Thip restaurant is right in front of you where the road bears left,so if in fact you went straight on instead of making the left turn you would end up in their car park.

Thats a very good way of putting it...just set the controls for auto-pilot and you'll end up in their parking lot :o

Thank you for the quick responses. I very much appreciate it. Thanks to these responses I finally found it. It was earlier in the day when I went again to seek it out, so I haven't tried it yet. At the moment we're having a rather torrential rain. If it lets up, Rung Thip is my dinner destination tonight.

Finally made it for a follow up on the food at 'The Courthouse'. It is definitely better than it was on our last visit there. The western menu is still very limited, and almost entirely English. I tried the English fish cakes, which were just OK, IMO. The French Fries/Chips served with them were terrible. Soft, and oily.

On the other hand, my wife ordered a couple of Thai dishes, and both were very good, in her opinion and mine. I will definitely be open to going there again, but likely to order Thai, rather than western food.

Anybody else been there lately? Opinions?

I have been a few times now, I also tried the fish cakes which I'm usually partial to but the ones here where not to my liking only ok but as for the chips (french fries) I found them quite nice as they where real potatoes and not the frozen rubbish but probably more welcome to a British rather than American palate.

The jewel in the crown of this place for me and many others judging on the number of people eating it is the Sunday roast, though limited to only lamb and chicken at 300 baht or 240 baht respectively. This IMO is the best Sunday Roast in Pattaya, real roast potatoes not thye deep fried imitations served in many places and also real gravy not bisto and a nice selection of vegetables. I have been every Sunday since it they began serving this and I look forward to it every week.

As for their midweek menu I'm still undecided but Sunday is a winner.

[Anybody else been there lately? Opinions?

I was also there in June. Called in for a couple of drinks but when the sky turned black, and the heavens opened, we stayed for some food.

We had farang and Thai food and we both thought the food was very good. Chips remain a very personal subject - whilst the big chips were fine, I have a preference for smaller ones.

All in all, good food and drink in nice surroundings. The weather curtailed our enjoyment of sitting outside.

(one very minor downside - the front of the pub is not inviting and I was told that Thais do not like going through 'closed' doors)

The jewel in the crown of this place for me and many others judging on the number of people eating it is the Sunday roast, though limited to only lamb and chicken at 300 baht or 240 baht respectively. This IMO is the best Sunday Roast in Pattaya

Have you tried the Sunday roast at Jameson's? . It's the best I've been to. It's 350 baht and has everything!

I did make it to Rung Thip last night. I tried the goulash with Swedish dumplings. It was certainly plenty to eat. The chunks of beef were cooked perfectly and not a hint of fat or gristle at all. The sauce was quite tasty and needed no additional seasoning or condiments. The vegetables were fresh and properly steamed. I was greatly pleased with the food, the service, and the portions. I paid 160 baht for the goulash and 10 baht for water. I noticed their breakfast is quite inexpensive as well. By the way, they're open from 10:00-10:00.

The jewel in the crown of this place for me and many others judging on the number of people eating it is the Sunday roast, though limited to only lamb and chicken at 300 baht or 240 baht respectively. This IMO is the best Sunday Roast in Pattaya

Have you tried the Sunday roast at Jameson's?. It's the best I've been to. It's 350 baht and has everything!

I did make it to Rung Thip last night. I tried the goulash with Swedish dumplings. It was certainly plenty to eat. The chunks of beef were cooked perfectly and not a hint of fat or gristle at all. The sauce was quite tasty and needed no additional seasoning or condiments. The vegetables were fresh and properly steamed. I was greatly pleased with the food, the service, and the portions. I paid 160 baht for the goulash and 10 baht for water. I noticed their breakfast is quite inexpensive as well. By the way, they're open from 10:00-10:00.

I'll have to try Jamesons some Sunday.

As for your meal at Rung Thip, where my wife and I eat regularly, you had one of the very best western dishes. I also highly recommend: the grilled sea bass (which I prefer WITHOUT the sauce, just a piece of lime to sqeeze over it); the pork steak, which is a generously sized, fat-free piece of quality pork, also cooked to perfection. There are other good dishes; but those 3 are my favorite western dishes.

I cannot, however, recommend the breakfast. They really don't know how to properly fry eggs (overcooked), or bacon (undercooked); and the sausage is tasteless cheap stuff.

Stick with dinner; where you are almost certain to get high quality, decent portions, and very good preparation. By the way, for beer drinkers, Rung Thip serves the coldest beer that I've had anywhere in the area!

I've got some more catch up work to do.

Last Wednesday, I FINALLY followed up on JonnieBKK's recommendation try a sandwich at 'Delibean'. It was OUTSTANDING! (Thanks, John!)

I had the club sandwich. As John had described, it was made "American style", with a slice of chicken breast, and not the Thai fried egg option. Very well prepared, and delicious. It was, IMO, well worth the 135 price.

While there, I was reviewing the menu, and decided to take home a smoked salmon and cream cheese, with veggies, on a baguette, for my dinner. That, too, was OUTSTANDING! That one was also a good value, at 140 baht.

I concur with John that 'Delibean' is the BEST SANDWICH SHOP on the DARK SIDE, if not in all of the Pattaya area.

It's located on 1.6 kms after the right turn from Siam CC Road that leads to Horseshoe Point.

This morning, I returned to my favorite breakfast and brunch place, Chonlada. I had another of those great omelets that Pook recently added to her menu. She has completed the cooking school now; and is preparing for the expansion of both the restaurant and the menu. She told me this morning that she has ordered the oven that will allow her to add many more "sophisticated" items to the menu. For now, you can still get some new additions like the omelets, quiche, a couple of types of pasta (carbonara and bolanaise), French toast, pancakes, and "super-size" sandwiches (more meat, cheese, etc. than the typical "appetizer size" Thai sandwiches). If you go in, be sure to check the last couple of pages of the menu for some of these new things; and ask Pook if she has anything special that day that's not on the menu.

It's really fun to watch the place grow. So far, that growth is only in the menu items. But soon, the physical expansion will begin.

With the current economic squeeze on everybody, their business has dropped off some. So, if you want good food, at VERY reasonable prices, try it. Both you and Pook and Yoo (her husband) will benefit from it! :-)

Edited by patsfangr

Here's the map that was mentioned a few posts ago. I don't see Chonlada and a couple of other restaurants on it yet--hint hint. :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=15

Google would not allow me to add a location for Chonlada. I can tell you that it is on Siam CC Road, 1.5 kms east of the intersection with Nongprue Road. See the spot for 'The Courtyard'. That is on Nongprue Road. The next right turn, going north, is Siam CC Road. Chonlada is on the right side. Watch the traffic, and turn right to park in front.

If somebody can add a spot for it, please do so. It's just a bit past the slight right turn of the road, heading toward Lake Mabprachan.

I have gone ahead and added the pin-point for Chonlada's onto the map. I am pretty sure it is an accurate placement. Basic directions are: It's about 5-1/2 to 6 kilos down from Sukhumvit on Soi Siam Country Club Road on the right-hand side of the road. (SSCC is labeled "2010" or soi "Phon Prapra Nimit" on the Google map). It is almost directly opposite (just before) SP Village 3, and next to a fairly large hardware store.

Edited by NotNew2You

If you start at the eastern end of Soi Neurnplabwan at the temple and go west towards Suk. Rd., the road runs straight for approx. half a mile, then bears to the left. The Rung Thip restaurant is right in front of you where the road bears left,so if in fact you went straight on instead of making the left turn you would end up in their car park.

yes i know where u mean the owner there sits with a long face and only talks to his friends, and never acknowledges strangers, why would anyone want to travel to there, i would never line the pocket of an owner who only speaks to selective customers, but it wouldn't be as bad if the food was something special

yes i know where u mean the owner there sits with a long face and only talks to his friends, and never acknowledges strangers, why would anyone want to travel to there, i would never line the pocket of an owner who only speaks to selective customers, but it wouldn't be as bad if the food was something special

Well, I think most of who live on the Farside do think the food is something special (as well as very good value). That's why many of us eat there multiple times per week.

I don't understand this thing some people have of needing to be chummy with the owners of a restaurant or bar to want to patronize the establishment. For me, I go to a restaurant to EAT and not to make friends (with fellow customers or the owner). So I look for places with good food, good service, and good prices. Rung Thip fills the bill on all 3 counts IMHO. I couldn't care less if the owner ever says "booh" to me (though his wife and the service staff are very pleasant).

I am more than happy to line his/her pockets so that I can continue to enjoy their restaurant.

Here's the map that was mentioned a few posts ago. I don't see Chonlada and a couple of other restaurants on it yet--hint hint. :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=15

Chonlada is now listed. I have also added pin-points for La Luna and Grappa Italian restaurants as these were mentioned in recent posts, despite the fact that they are not located on our favorite "Farside." :D

One of the best investments I've made is a GPS. The Thai map software does not include waypoints for these 'Darkside' restaurants, but the road map is quite accurate. Between the road map and the directions given on this forum, I almost always am able to find these restaurants without any trouble. Then, of course, I can manually plug the locations into the GPS as waypoints and never have a problem finding them again. From virtually anywhere I am in Thailand, all I have to do is open my list of waypoints, pick the location I wish to go to, and the GPS leads me right to it every time. It even tells me how long it will take me to get there, and has been accurate to the minute.

The GPS creates a route to get you to wherever it is you're trying to go, gives you a highlighted map and verbal directrions, street by street and turn by turn, and even automatically recalculates an alternate route if you miss a turn or decide not to go that way.

It helps especially when I'm trying to go to one of these restaurants, but not starting from home. Quite often I'm in another area of Pattaya or picking up friends before I head out to eat.

It is a fantastic navigation tool. It certainly is a Godsend in Bangkok!

I highly recommend getting one, if you can. Several shops in Tuk Com carry them. I did all right before buying a GPS, but now that I have one, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

I would be happy to share the waypoints if I knew how. The Thailand map is stored on an SD card, but when you add a waypoint it is stored internally on the GPS, not on the SD card. I don't know how to get the waypoints out of the GPS in order to share them.

Edited by santol

Well, I think most of who live on the Farside do think the food is something special (as well as very good value). That's why many of us eat there multiple times per week.

I don't understand this thing some people have of needing to be chummy with the owners of a restaurant or bar to want to patronize the establishment. For me, I go to a restaurant to EAT and not to make friends (with fellow customers or the owner). So I look for places with good food, good service, and good prices. Rung Thip fills the bill on all 3 counts IMHO. I couldn't care less if the owner ever says "booh" to me (though his wife and the service staff are very pleasant).

I am more than happy to line his/her pockets so that I can continue to enjoy their restaurant.

It's also important to realize that "the owner" referred to, Peter, really has very little to do with the operation of the restaurant. He works overseas for most of the year. He's only here for a week or so, every couple of months. His wife runs the place.

That said, he is a pleasant guy, once you get to know him a bit. He's just not very outgoing to strangers. Since, as I said, he is NOT directly involved in running the restaurant, I have no problem with that. I would feel differently about a bar owner, where conversation is a significant part of the "experience". I personally have different expectations in that regard in a restaurant, where I'm normally accompanied by my wife, and not socializing much with the staff.

As "New" said, the food, prices, and service are all well above average for similar restaurants in this area. That keeps Rung Thip high on my list of regular visits.

One of the best investments I've made is a GPS. The Thai map software does not include waypoints for these 'Darkside' restaurants, but the road map is quite accurate. Between the road map and the directions given on this forum, I almost always am able to find these restaurants without any trouble. Then, of course, I can manually plug the locations into the GPS as waypoints and never have a problem finding them again. From virtually anywhere I am in Thailand, all I have to do is open my list of waypoints, pick the location I wish to go to, and the GPS leads me right to it every time. It even tells me how long it will take me to get there, and has been accurate to the minute.

The GPS creates a route to get you to wherever it is you're trying to go, gives you a highlighted map and verbal directrions, street by street and turn by turn, and even automatically recalculates an alternate route if you miss a turn or decide not to go that way.

It helps especially when I'm trying to go to one of these restaurants, but not starting from home. Quite often I'm in another area of Pattaya or picking up friends before I head out to eat.

It is a fantastic navigation tool. It certainly is a Godsend in Bangkok!

I highly recommend getting one, if you can. Several shops in Tuk Com carry them. I did all right before buying a GPS, but now that I have one, I don't know how I ever lived without it.

I would be happy to share the waypoints if I knew how. The Thailand map is stored on an SD card, but when you add a waypoint it is stored internally on the GPS, not on the SD card. I don't know how to get the waypoints out of the GPS in order to share them.

Which model GPS did you get - and more importantly, which software? I have a Mio Digiwalker GPS (PowerPC based) with "Powermap G10" software. I would strongly recommend any buyers of GPS in Thailand to buy something else. This software might as well have been written in Greek, it is virtually impossible to use (i.e. to look up places). Also, anytime I go to Bangkok it wants me to exit the motorway at every exit, although it is set to prefer direct routes. On the elevated roads it keeps telling me to exit even though the exits are below. Once the software needed upgrade the shop sent me to the importer for it, and the imported first quoted me a price that could easily have bought me a new GPS with software. (after some hefty arguments they finally upgraded it for free). AVOID.

I met Peter and his wife in the first two weeks after the restaurant opened. We live within five minutes of Rung Thip and have eaten there many times over the years.

Peter does not run the restaurant, he does not help with food preparation and he is not a meeter or greeter for those that think they deserve this treatment. Peter reads his newspaper, eats his food and talks to those that are willing to say "hi" to him. I did that early on and we now talk regularly when we meet.

Peter and his wife are very nice people. You're being unfair to categorize him any other way.

His wife runs the place, along with the girls that have been there since they opened. The food is as good as you will get and I have had many a meal in the place. We eat both Thai and farang food and I have never had a bad meal, with the exception of their hamburger. I enjoy their breakfasts as well but they know I like three eggs, crisp bacon and softened butter.

I believe if you read the first 19 pages of this thread, you might find any number of people that think the food really is "something special".

Edited by chuckd