Teacher Needs Advice!

Could anyone give me some advice on obtiaing a tourist visa to Uk for my thai girlfriend please? Would really appreciate it! We have bee together for a year and a half. She works for her cousin as a stock checker with a salary of about 8,000 baht a month, and i am 24 and have been with the same school for 2 years living here making about 32,000 baht.she has a child from a previous relationship which i hope is a good enough reason for her to show she will come back to Bkk.

lWe have evidence of our relationship with photos , phone calls etc. The problem comes with the financial support for her when she is in the UK. I have very little cash in my english bank account since i have been living here for 2 years, and since it is difficult to save here ! However my parents have no problem in being the financial gurantee in terms of providing salary slips, bank account details and letters saying they will incur all financial costs while living in our house.They can also put some cash into my account. Any ideas as to how much that shoudl be, or if it is even necessary if they are the sponsor?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

james

Maybe this is not advice as such - never having had parents that could support me :D

When I have wanted to get people into UK for a holiday, I have asked friends / relatives who are in good standing, i.e. with a house, job, etc., to write a letter of invitation for the UK consulate in whichever country I was then situated.

I realise that the BKK consulate is worse than most, for giving vacation visas to Thai girls. But a letter from your parents, evidence of legal employment in Thailand and (maybe) the child being here should sway things your way.

(By the way, congratulations - a teacher asking for advice :o:D )

Yes, get your parents to write a letter of support (sponsorship) to the British Embassy inviting your GF to stay with them at their house in UK (they want to meet her) and guaranteeing that they will be responsible for all costs. They will have to show copies of their bank account. Your GF will also have to show evidence that she will return to Thailand, a letter from an employer will be better IMO than the fact that she has a child. Also go with her when she makes the visa application and show the clearance officer your work permit (assuming you've got one) as evidence that you will also be coming back to Thailand with your GF. It worked for me - 6 month visa same day.

If you go to the embassy or the uk visa web site there is info for sponsors, some things have to be attested infront of a UK lawyer, I dont think you will have a problem proving the relationship or if she will return, it may help if you get a letter from her employer stating she has holiday from work and is expected to return. If you are sponsering her they want to see 6 months records of bank etc so I dont know if the deposit in your account will work. If you have time, get your parents to make a regular deposit into the account so you could at least show a couple of months worth.

I was at the embassy yesterday going through all this and got the visa without an interveiw but did have compassionate grounds, I don't know if it helped but when the Thai interpratuer asked her questions in Thai she answered the officer in English, it did seem to impress him. Give them as much information as you can to prove everything, the support in the UK was really important to him!!

I wish you the best of luck.

Sponsor information, UK Visa web site

PS It will help to show you live here and support yourself here and YOU intend to return!

Your g/f's best proof that she is going to return to Thailand is you. As detailed in a previous post you should supply your work permit or failing that a letter from your employer stating that you work for the school and giving the date you're expected to resume. Your g/f, too, should supply a similar letter from her employer.

I would not recommend getting your parents to deposit a lump sum in your bank account as this will be apparent to the visa officer who will surmise that it has been put there solely for the purposes of getting your g/f a visa. A letter from your parents confirming that they are willing to support your g/f and evidence of their ability to do so will suffice. If you are to stay in your parents' house, and they are owner occupiers, they should also state how many bedrooms the property has and that there is adequate accommodation for the 2 of you. If they rent the house they should get a letter from the landlord confirming the foregoing and that he has no objection to you and your g/f staying in the house.

From the information you've given I think you've got a good chance of success.

Hope that helps,

Scouse

Thanks for the replies everyone they were really helpful. Thanks again for your time. Just wondering if you could check my documentation list and see if you can suggest anything else.

My mum+her partners bank statements and pay slips for 6 months

Copies of my thai bank account for 6 months.(not much money in there!)

A letter from my mother stating she will be the sponsor and incur all costs.(Typed or hand written?)

My work permit. Copies of my passport pages. My contracts for my last 2 years at the same school.

Letter from my school stating a 1 term (4 month) leave of absence.

Some information about our house.

Some love letters, pictures and telephone call evidence.

Yet to be acquired

A letter from her job giving her a leave of absence.

Her bank account (very little money in it!)

Also i have a few questions! Can anyone help me? I am so nervous.

1)If i can't make it to the embassy with her because of work commitments, is that a big problem?

2)How do i include information about the fact that she has a child, and that we are returning home for Xmas to meet my family since i havent been back for Xmas for 3 years? Do i write it in a letter and how shoudl it be structured? or should she?

3) Is it a problem that she speaks only a tiny bit of english and that we comunicate in Thai?

Thanks once again for so much help.

james

My GF was in a similar situation a couple of weeks back - (except with a little more money), and she didn't have a problem with getting the visa.

i) Get there early!!! They only give out 75 per day, and we arrived at 7:15 and got number 68!

ii) I went with her, but wasn't needed at all, except to carry the umbrellas, so probably no need for you to be there...

iii) Give them some evidence that

a) You both need and will come back

:o You have good reason to go

c) You have money to support it

It looks like you've got most of that covered, but I'd ask both your employers to state in their letters that you will HAVE to return to work here.

There is a section on the visa application form for 'other information', where you could write the information about her child?

Oh, and I doubt the language difficulty would be a problem!

Good luck!

1)If i can't make it to the embassy with her because of work commitments, is that a big problem?

2)How do i include information about the fact that she has a child, and that we are returning home for Xmas to meet my family since i havent been back for Xmas for 3 years? Do i write it in a letter and how shoudl it be structured? or should she?

3) Is it a problem that she speaks only a tiny bit of english and that we comunicate in Thai?

Thanks once again for so much help.

james

1. I would have a letter from you among the evidence and outline the visit for xmas, your Thai speaking ability after years here, and your intent to return to Thailand with your GF and resume teaching.

2. Above letter from you can include child information or/and on application it can be noted. I would also have your mother include information about how much she looks forward to this xmas visit and the chance to meet your girl friend (if not finance).

3. State your Thai ability in writing to forgo that question.

Do not believe it should be a problem with the evidence you have but I would try to go with her if you can - even if just for moral support.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone. My gf went to the embassy on thursday, and got the visa no problme. Just wanted to say that without everyones help, advice and well wishing, she probably would not have got it.Thanks for everyones time and effort. You are all really great and lovely people. I cant thank you enough for your help.

Once again thank you.

James