Isn't This Called Discrimination

basjke

Tony' is a dump and the price for the lifetime membership reflects that fact.

And the double pricing is pasted all over the place , that is the whole Thai Rak Thai thing with all those poor Burmese he has working for him there.

What is really sad is the new basketball court that was built on the top floor of the new trade center on 3rd road. The baskets are about 2 foot to high and I think a drunk must have painted the courtyard lines.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try to get a lifetime membership for less then 20.000 Baht in another gym..

Good luck :o

For 20k baht you can buy quite a bit of gym equipment and put it in your own place and just work out at home.

Look in Carrefour and you'll find treadmills from 3.5k - 13k, or just run on the streets for free. Cycling and skiing machines are relatively cheap too as is a bench and dumbells and superlift bar and weights.

The OP should look at what his needs are from a gym and then look at how to meet them by buying the equipment himself within the cost of a membership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And there we have it. As westerners, we come to this country with superior morales, and likely a superior intellect. This two-tiered pricing says two things about the Thais:

1. You are inferior to the westerner incapable of earning or doing or thinking better than him.

2. You are lazy and needn't improve your station in life, we don't expect you to pay the correct price so we will hand you a crutch all your life.

What do you think we should do?, sympathise yes, but get bothered over 5,000 baht?

For a Thai that's half a months wage, for a Westerner half a days wage.

A Thai person earning 10,000 a month is unlikely to pay 15,000 baht for gym membership. Obviously Tonys in targeting middle class Thais, many of whom earn a lot more than your average Pattaya expat. Given your warped way of seeing the world (Thai = poor, Westerner = rich) it's not surprising you try to justify discrimination.

You two should hook up for a drink, you've obviously got a lot in common. Quite entertaining really. :o

Thanks to the OP for pointing it out. It's not the first time with this establishment...

I would not use the service. Simple.

If you started a gym next door that charged less to foreigners, do you think that this would be accepted by the local community. I don't. It's prejudice which is normal amongst uneducated morons, both Thai businessmen and non-Thai board members. Unacceptable behaviour in the 21st century.

At the end of the day you can make your choices, and avoid these folk.

The funny thing is that most Thai gym members are probably a lot wealthier than the forigners. That's the case at the four gyms I've been a member to. (Not every gym is the same I know...)

[Just like when the Thai person in the Mercedes tells me that I should be paying ten times more than them for my entrance into the Grand Palace. Thais are too poor don't you know...]

Edited by jasreeve17

Say you will use the lifetime membership for 5 Years..

20000Baht/ 5= 4000 Baht a year.

Payed more then that back in Europe for only 3 months.

I don't live in Europe. I'm on a Thai salary, pay taxes, spend my money here, bought property, married a Thai etc, etc. If you don't have a nice little earner coming in from Europe your argument is totally irrelevant!

= bad karma :o

Yes, it is discrimination however it is an unwritten rule that farang pay more, double standard, double price, same lousey service.

It's not double it's 25% more, or perhaps I should say that Thais pay 25% less.

Where do you go that you have to pay double for everything?

I don't pay double in a restaurant, or in a supermarket, or at a petrol station,

or accomodation, or transport, or for beer, sunshine and smiles are free.

I've never bothered going to a National Park, but if that's your thing.

Too much sunhine and beautiful women perhaps it's time for a change... :o

EDIT: I just realised that 20,000 baht is for a lifetime membership! :D

This is the new complex on Third road right? Swimming pool, state of the art equipment, lovely young ladies....

Basjke, if you aren't prepared to pay that you are definately in the wrong place.

Edited by Robski

Double pricing is in most cases based on economics, in general, Thai people are less well off then farangs. Therefore they get a discount at many venues in tourist areas, it's not just because they are Thai but that is used as the determining criteria. (a farang with Thai citizen ship would get the same deal, with proof of citizen ship)

Retirees, school children and others are getting discounts in all western countries at all sorts of venues and services. This is because they are generally seen as being less well of than the general public, by your thinking this would also be discrimination :o

Lots of farangs are working here on lousy wages ... do they get these discounts ?

Naka.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And there we have it. As westerners, we come to this country with superior morales, and likely a superior intellect. This two-tiered pricing says two things about the Thais:

1. You are inferior to the westerner incapable of earning or doing or thinking better than him.

2. You are lazy and needn't improve your station in life, we don't expect you to pay the correct price so we will hand you a crutch all your life.

What do you think we should do?, sympathise yes, but get bothered over 5,000 baht?

For a Thai that's half a months wage, for a Westerner half a days wage.

A Thai person earning 10,000 a month is unlikely to pay 15,000 baht for gym membership. Obviously Tonys in targeting middle class Thais, many of whom earn a lot more than your average Pattaya expat. Given your warped way of seeing the world (Thai = poor, Westerner = rich) it's not surprising you try to justify discrimination.

You two should hook up for a drink, you've obviously got a lot in common. Quite entertaining really. :o

Thanks for shining new light on the issue. You're clearly an intellectual heavyweight with impressive debating skills.

Double pricing is in most cases based on economics, in general, Thai people are less well off then farangs. Therefore they get a discount at many venues in tourist areas, it's not just because they are Thai but that is used as the determining criteria. (a farang with Thai citizen ship would get the same deal, with proof of citizen ship)

Retirees, school children and others are getting discounts in all western countries at all sorts of venues and services. This is because they are generally seen as being less well of than the general public, by your thinking this would also be discrimination :o

Lots of farangs are working here on lousy wages ... do they get these discounts ?

Naka.

No :D

About the word discrimination. Of course, it is discrimination. If I choose a pretty partner over an ugly one, that is discrimination. Discrimination is everywhere, in every land. And if we are personally offended by the specific discrimination practices of a specific business, we can practice our own discrimination, and pass on giving them our money and business.

I just saw a fly poster for Tonys Gym that declares "We Guarantee Hidden Prices". Says it all.

Sure you did. :D

in a decent, civilised society

Yeah ok I... see your point :o

Edited by Robski

I just saw a fly poster for Tonys Gym that declares "We Guarantee Hidden Prices". Says it all.

Sure you did. :D

in a decent, civilised society

Yeah ok I... see your point :o

Is there any particular reason why you talk and act like a 12 year old? Are you unable to communicate without using childish pictograms in every sentence?

Well I took off the rosy specs and stopped being idealistic at around 22-23, what's your excuse?

Because in a decent, civilised society individuals are treated as individuals, not judged by their ethnicity.

Ok edwardandtubs name one.

Edited by Robski

Yes, it is discrimination however it is an unwritten rule that farang pay more, double standard, double price, same lousey service.

It's not double it's 25% more, or perhaps I should say that Thais pay 25% less.

Where do you go that you have to pay double for everything?

I don't pay double in a restaurant, or in a supermarket, or at a petrol station,

or accomodation, or transport, or for beer, sunshine and smiles are free.

I've never bothered going to a National Park, but if that's your thing.

Too much sunhine and beautiful women perhaps it's time for a change... :o

EDIT: I just realised that 20,000 baht is for a lifetime membership! :D

This is the new complex on Third road right? Swimming pool, state of the art equipment, lovely young ladies....

Basjke, if you aren't prepared to pay that you are definately in the wrong place.

When you read the OP again you will see that I never mentioned a word about the value of the membership,but if you want to have a word about that then lets start.

20.000 baht for a lifetime membership is very cheap but you have to consider that this is thailand and lifetime might be very short.

As another poster noted,if Mr tony invested the money from all those memberships the gyms can be profitable but if he didn't and have to keep the place running from the new memberships there could be a dead end someday.

Yet as someone else said and i have to confirm that,after 10 pm most of the lights are switched off and you have to bring your torch to see the dumbells in the gym that is supposed to be open 24 hours.Aircons and fans switched off as well.

Every where there is advertised about the qualified instructors.I haven't seen one for ages.

English speaking staff?Maybe at the new complex but haven't seen one yet at the tony's gym north side of 3rd road.

In my opinion all not signs of luxury.

All of his recently started businesses aren't running very well,have you noticed the unfinished hotel next to the tony's gym yet.

So if Mr Tony goes broke or sells the fitnesses to somebody what gonna happen.You think he gonna give back some of my money?

So please tell me how long lifetime gonna last or as you mentioned in another post,13 baht a day is nothing.Can you send me 13 baht every day for the next 5 years?

20.000 baht for a lifetime membership is very cheap but you have to consider that this is thailand and lifetime might be very short.

Can't argue with that logic.

Can you send me 13 baht every day for the next 5 years?

Times really are that tough eh?

Edited by Robski

My guess is that most of you submissives cower like sheep when the Baht Bus Drivers yell at you to sit up straight and move over so they can shove one more onto the bench you are sitting on. Spending your entire lives frightened and cowering is no way to represent yourselves or your country.

Well, if you don't try and accommodate as many passengers as possible it's no surprise that farangs get a bad name and have to pay more. I frequently see big size farangs spreading their legs in the baht bus taking up 2-3 places. Then when they get off they get into an argument about 5-10 baht :o THAT is no way to represent yourself and other farangs :D

"Good job they dont charge by the kilo isnt it doris ! "

post-41326-1204814881_thumb.jpg

At least now you have to have your bag searched upon entry and exit to the place on 3rd Road.

They check you going in to make sure you do not bring your own water or food so you have to buy their overpriced water or 120 bath plate of Khow Phat.

And you get checked on the way out because I guess to many low end members were ripping off the towels.

The place just reeks of class.

Edited by JimmyTheMook