Thaivisa Pissup 2008 In Phuket

thaigerd

at this stage, there arent any official piss-ups planned.

of course, if anyone wants to arrange an informal meet up, all you need to do is name the place and the date and see who turns up.

Vanilli,

If there's free booze I'll go.

Typical farang, if ya gotta pay for sumfin, ya dun wanna go.

Be fun, woteva way.

If I'm in LOS, count me in.

Edited by Zpete

I would go again, but I would prefer that if there is to be an official Thaivisa one, that it is a paid event (that is, paid by the attenders, not by sponsors). I was furious with that 'clever' little freeloader comment last year - unadulterated arrogance in the guise of humour. This has nothing to do with being thin-skinned, but everything to do with professionalism. That was on top of the late misinformation about start time and the walk up the hill and those steps (after a fruitless wait for the song thaew). Didn't think much of the jam jar beer glasses either. Of course, some people found the whole thing quite amusing...

I would like to suggest that the event be held at a more casual type of bar and restaurant in central Kata, Karon or Patong and that if people wish to eat, they order and pay for it and the same with the drinks. A non-profit making raffle could be conducted for TV T shirts, which could also be available for sale in various sizes and colours. The thing about these types of functions is that they should be confined to being social events... an opportunity to meet other TV members and mods/admins. It should not be a commercial opportunity. If TV sponsors want to leave a few glossy brochures or magazines lying around, let them - but keep them away from microphones.

As a point of clarification, the last official Thaivisa BBQ party was at the Greenman last year.

We had an excellent turnout and I can't recall seeing or hearing any complaints.

If you all want to start laying out some plans for another "official" party, post your preferences here to see if there's enough interest.

Correct. If you read in context, Buckwheat was (I think) having a bit of a dig at me - hence the response. Personally, I really don't mind how it is organised (if, indeed, it is) and whether there is a free beer or a free nothing. I would just hope that the next event is as successful as was, apparently, the one at the Green Man. Whilst I don't think that free anything will make much difference to the number of people who turn up, I do note with some amusement that many of the newbies who signed up for the Ratri event seem to have had very few posts since. Perhaps they will re-emerge for the next one (more likely there will be an influx of new memberships)... but I wonder why? Maybe there was something to the 'freeloader' bit after all... but I just don't see the point of it.

As for the distinction between the two events (Green Man and Ratri) -

'You are cordially invited to the ThaiVisa BBQ party at Ratri Jazztaurant, Kata Beach Hill, PHUKET on Friday, 17 August 2007 at 6.30PM until late. This party is arranged in cooperation with My Phuket Magazine.'

Make of that what you will... but I didn't see it quite the same way as yourself. In any event, Buckwheat is asking for suggestions to gauge the interest level. My suggestion is that one be held in Patong this year, perhaps at one of the places at Jungceylon (as an example only). But I'm not particularly fussed about where it is held (anywhere except the Ratri). As a preference only, I would prefer to pay my own way at least for the drinks, rather than having them supplied. I also like the idea of a raffle for T shirts (if there are sufficient starters) and the availability of them there to purchase for those like me who never win raffles!

Correct. If you read in context, Buckwheat was (I think) having a bit of a dig at me - hence the response. Personally, I really don't mind how it is organised (if, indeed, it is) and whether there is a free beer or a free nothing. I would just hope that the next event is as successful as was, apparently, the one at the Green Man. Whilst I don't think that free anything will make much difference to the number of people who turn up, I do note with some amusement that many of the newbies who signed up for the Ratri event seem to have had very few posts since. Perhaps they will re-emerge for the next one (more likely there will be an influx of new memberships)... but I wonder why? Maybe there was something to the 'freeloader' bit after all... but I just don't see the point of it.

As for the distinction between the two events (Green Man and Ratri) -

'You are cordially invited to the ThaiVisa BBQ party at Ratri Jazztaurant, Kata Beach Hill, PHUKET on Friday, 17 August 2007 at 6.30PM until late. This party is arranged in cooperation with My Phuket Magazine.'

Make of that what you will... but I didn't see it quite the same way as yourself. In any event, Buckwheat is asking for suggestions to gauge the interest level. My suggestion is that one be held in Patong this year, perhaps at one of the places at Jungceylon (as an example only). But I'm not particularly fussed about where it is held (anywhere except the Ratri). As a preference only, I would prefer to pay my own way at least for the drinks, rather than having them supplied. I also like the idea of a raffle for T shirts (if there are sufficient starters) and the availability of them there to purchase for those like me who never win raffles!

Sorry if you took that as a dig Ping.

Actually what I had meant to say was that for the past 18 months, there have been so many Thaivisa parties and so much beer flowing, that it's hard to recall dates without digging into the archives. :o

Start a thread if you like and get everyones feel as far as if the would like a party, nominate locations, meet for recons, evaluate them and post all the results on your thread.

I'm sure you guys and gals can come up with something.

Apols Buckwheat - a misunderstanding.

Hopefully this thread should serve the purpose of getting some interest... but not a heck of a lot shown so far. The first issue is probably location. Once the location is identified, we can go for a venue. I nominated Patong because the previous ones have been at Rawai (Green Man - actually closer to Chalong) and Kata (Ratri). Patong is central to most places, but I'm not bothered as long as it is not up near the airport or on the eastern coast.

How about some nominations for location folks - go with the majority?

I haven't been around for a pissup in some while: after the only one I went to, the others have always been arranged from when I'm not there :o (thinks: I really must ask myself some searching questions).

I'm around between 18th-31st March and would be keen to meet up and make Mrs Sadman think I actually know people who will drink with me without me paying them to do so.

If anyone can lower themselves to join me in a beer, how about the Patong area, as it's reasonably central?

Sorry but I can't stand by innocently and watch you hang yourself!!! While you are doing your 'searching questions PLEEEEEZZZZEEEE change your nick Sadman.

'Lower themselves to have a drink with you...'... if I was in Phuket I'd come over and give you a good boot up the bahoosie :o

(Meant in a caring way)

Vanilli,

Be fun, woteva way.

Well, you give me an incentive to go and hang out with 100 people I've never met and have no idea who they are. Typical farang? Maybe I'm just 25, working every day of the week and trying to save money so I can further my education. Oh how terrible.

...would be keen to meet up and make Mrs Sadman think I actually know people who will drink with me without me paying them to do so..
:D
Sorry but I can't stand by innocently and watch you hang yourself!!! While you are doing your 'searching questions PLEEEEEZZZZEEEE change your nick Sadman.

'Lower themselves to have a drink with you...'... if I was in Phuket I'd come over and give you a good boot up the bahoosie :o

(Meant in a caring way)

Is this serious? I thought Sadman is hilarious - I smell typically subtle, English self-deprecatory humour. Excellent.

Unless you two know each other and are having fun, or I'm wrong about the humour, in which case apologies :D

Vanilli,

Be fun, woteva way.

Well, you give me an incentive to go and hang out with 100 people I've never met and have no idea who they are. Typical farang? Maybe I'm just 25, working every day of the week and trying to save money so I can further my education. Oh how terrible.

Not trying to take the p!ss out of you vanalli, but that seems a rather odd thing to say. You'll happily join an Internet forum to spend a reasonable amount of time discussing matters with other farang, yet you are loathe to spend a few baht? I would have thought that the point of getting together with 100 people you don't know would be similar to your reason for being a long-term member of TV. As I said, I'm not having a go at you, I just find it curious.

Vanilli,

Be fun, woteva way.

Not trying to take the p!ss out of you vanalli, but that seems a rather odd thing to say. You'll happily join an Internet forum to spend a reasonable amount of time discussing matters with other farang, yet you are loathe to spend a few baht? I would have thought that the point of getting together with 100 people you don't know would be similar to your reason for being a long-term member of TV. As I said, I'm not having a go at you, I just find it curious.

I can only concur with ya there, Ping.

My thoughts exactly.

I have travelled all over meeting people from forums, blogs and mainly chatrooms.

Without fail, those who meet up are great people.

They have to be, to take on the challenge of doing so.

Vanalli, ya oughta get outta ya shell and go meet some "strangers", ya won't regret it.

Tuskers, Chiang Mai, last year was fab, putting faces to nics.

Get out into the world, mate, get to see how the rest of the world lives.

Vanilli,

Be fun, woteva way.

I dunno. I didn't really think through what I was typing. Anyway, I expect I'll go to a meetup regardless. I'm just a drama queen.