Three Of The Bali Nine Spared Death

donna

Three of Bali Nine spared death

March 06, 2008 11:45am

Article from: NEWS.com.au

IT is too early to step up diplomatic efforts to save the lives of three Bali Nine members left on death row, despite three others escaping the death penalty, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says.

Convicted heroin traffickers Si Yi Chen, Matthew Norman and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen have had death sentences to life in prison by Indonesia's highest court.

Still on death row are the Bali Nine's so-called ringleaders - Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran - and Scott Rush, one of the four couriers caught with 8.2kg of heroin.

Mr Smith said the Federal Government was still awaiting official confirmation of the Indonesian decision to commute three of the death sentences but would welcome such a move.

He said the Government would act on its promise to help spare the lives of the three men who remained on death row, but it was too early to step up diplomatic efforts to plead for clemency.

"It's too early because it's appropriate in all of these cases to await the complete exhaustion of Indonesian legal procedures and processes," he said.

"And when the Prime Minister met with the President of Indonesia ... he made the point which I subsequently made to the Indonesian foreign minister, that if, upon the exhaustion of all legal procedures through the Indonesian courts, any of the nine were subject to the death penalty then the Australian Government would pursue with the Indonesian Government a plea of clemency on their behalf.

"But we'll simply wait until all those processes have exhausted themselves."

Asked if the Indonesian court's decision would hearten the other members of the Bali Nine, he said it was important for each case to be treated individually.

"Obviously so far as the three who are the subject potentially of this decision, it's very welcome news and we will welcome it, but we'll just await confirmation from our officials in Bali and Jakarta," he said.

Chen, Norman and Nguyen were known as the the Melasti Three because they were arrested at the Melasti hotel in Bali.

None of the three had drugs on them at the time, but police found 350g of heroin in a suitcase in their hotel room.

Earlier today, Scott Rush's father said he was still trying not to get his hopes up.

"Definitely I think there's an opportunity there but, you know, we're dealing with the unknown," Lee Rush said on ABC radio.

"We've had them up before and you go down, so we don't want to get our hopes up."

Scott's Sydney-based lawyer John North said today's news was encouraging.

"That therefore leaves Scott in a unique position which he's always been in, as being the only one of the airport couriers who has received the death sentence," Mr North said on ABC radio.

"So we've always felt that he had a strong case but it's good to see that the Indonesian Supreme Court has recognised that the Melasti Three don't deserve the death penalty."

Three of Bali Nine spared death

March 06, 2008 11:45am

Article from: NEWS.com.au

IT is too early to step up diplomatic efforts to save the lives of three Bali Nine members left on death row, despite three others escaping the death penalty, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith says.

Convicted heroin traffickers Si Yi Chen, Matthew Norman and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen have had death sentences to life in prison by Indonesia's highest court.

Still on death row are the Bali Nine's so-called ringleaders - Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran - and Scott Rush, one of the four couriers caught with 8.2kg of heroin.

Mr Smith said the Federal Government was still awaiting official confirmation of the Indonesian decision to commute three of the death sentences but would welcome such a move.

He said the Government would act on its promise to help spare the lives of the three men who remained on death row, but it was too early to step up diplomatic efforts to plead for clemency.

"It's too early because it's appropriate in all of these cases to await the complete exhaustion of Indonesian legal procedures and processes," he said.

"And when the Prime Minister met with the President of Indonesia ... he made the point which I subsequently made to the Indonesian foreign minister, that if, upon the exhaustion of all legal procedures through the Indonesian courts, any of the nine were subject to the death penalty then the Australian Government would pursue with the Indonesian Government a plea of clemency on their behalf.

"But we'll simply wait until all those processes have exhausted themselves."

Asked if the Indonesian court's decision would hearten the other members of the Bali Nine, he said it was important for each case to be treated individually.

"Obviously so far as the three who are the subject potentially of this decision, it's very welcome news and we will welcome it, but we'll just await confirmation from our officials in Bali and Jakarta," he said.

Chen, Norman and Nguyen were known as the the Melasti Three because they were arrested at the Melasti hotel in Bali.

None of the three had drugs on them at the time, but police found 350g of heroin in a suitcase in their hotel room.

Earlier today, Scott Rush's father said he was still trying not to get his hopes up.

"Definitely I think there's an opportunity there but, you know, we're dealing with the unknown," Lee Rush said on ABC radio.

"We've had them up before and you go down, so we don't want to get our hopes up."

Scott's Sydney-based lawyer John North said today's news was encouraging.

"That therefore leaves Scott in a unique position which he's always been in, as being the only one of the airport couriers who has received the death sentence," Mr North said on ABC radio.

"So we've always felt that he had a strong case but it's good to see that the Indonesian Supreme Court has recognised that the Melasti Three don't deserve the death penalty."

I've read the book "One-way ticket" about the bali 9 and it sounds like they were kind of duped into it, but when someone promises you a free trip to bali and some cash, wouldn't you think there were some strings attached?

absolutely. i think they were young and stupid. im not sure if it was true that their families lives were threatened if they didnt go through with it - and in the end, it appears that it was one of their family members who actually tipped off the police. its just a pity that the australian feds couldnt wait until they got back to australia before they pounced.

i know its illegal to IMPORT drugs into indonesia, but is it illegal to actually export them? (im sure it is but its usually the importing of drugs that people concentrate on)

strings attacahed? they had it wrapped in plastic around their legs how do you get "duped" into that. I feel for them as they are young and remorsful however its a bloody moronic thing to do for a few grand and a holiday. How many of us here at the lowest point in our lives would have even considered doing that I wonder

Bali three win execution appeal

post-13995-1204846393_thumb.jpg Tach Duc Thanh Nguyen (L), Matthew Norman © and Si Yi Chen, 15/02/08 The three have been in jail since 2005

Three Australians convicted of drug smuggling in Indonesia have had death sentences commuted to life in prison.

Defence lawyers argued that the men - members of the so-called Bali Nine - deserved leniency because they were young and were not repeat offenders.

Indonesia's Supreme Court accepted the arguments and overturned its own 2006 decision to mete out the death penalty.

The nine - eight men and one woman - were arrested in Bali in April 2005 with more than 8.3kg (18lb) of heroin.

Further appeals

Matthew Norman, Thanh Duc Tan Nguyen and Si Yi Chen - each said to have been a courier rather than a mastermind of the operation - were each sentenced to life imprisonment after their initial trial.

On appeal, this was reduced to 20 years in jail.

But Indonesian prosecutors appealed against that sentence, and the Supreme Court instituted the death penalty against the three.

This week's case review, heard by a different set of Supreme Court judges, overturns the previous rulings and reinstates the life sentences.

Three of the group still face the death penalty for their role in the importation.

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, said to be the ringleaders, and Scott Rush, one of the couriers, have yet to lodge their own case review appeals against the death penalty.

Mr Rush's lawyer, John North, told ABC News in Australia that his client's prospects had improved dramatically.

"That therefore leaves Scott in a unique position, which he's always been in, as being the only one of the airport couriers who has received the death sentence," he said.

The other three members of the group are serving lengthy prison terms.

Some of the group were detained at Bali's airport with the drug strapped to their bodies while others were arrested in a nearby hotel room.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7280824.stm

LaoPo

absolutely. i think they were young and stupid. im not sure if it was true that their families lives were threatened if they didnt go through with it - and in the end, it appears that it was one of their family members who actually tipped off the police. its just a pity that the australian feds couldnt wait until they got back to australia before they pounced.

i know its illegal to IMPORT drugs into indonesia, but is it illegal to actually export them? (im sure it is but its usually the importing of drugs that people concentrate on)

Ever see the sign at the airport which states, "Possession of illegal drugs is punishable by death"? Maybe these idiots can't read???

Ever see the sign at the airport which states, "Possession of illegal drugs is punishable by death"? Maybe these idiots can't read???

I have no sympathy for them.

They took the chance. They gambled. They got caught.

Hange 'em, or give them life.

I don't care.

Legalize it and eliminate the criminal drug trade.

Yes it's simple and straight forward. Draconian sentences for non-violent drug offenses is a travesty no matter where it happens. But they do let you know the rules beforehand, so they shouldn't be surprised at what happened to them when they got caught.

Think America 1920s, alcohol prohibition creates the likes of Al Capone and everyone who wanted alcohol got it. Making it illegal didn't stop people from drinking. All it did was create one of the most violent periods in 20th century America. Not to mention, with no government oversight many people died from poisoning from bad alcohol.

GunnyD

yes, ive seen the signs, and as im not into drugs, i dont pay any attention to them to be honest. i dont think its that they cant read, but i do think its because when we were the same age, we were all invincible. the risks one takes when younger and when we are more mature, are two completely different things.

i am not condoning what they did, but i do think that the circumstances that brought them to this situation should be considered.

yes, they are guilty. i am not disputing that at all. its quite clear that when you have god knows how much heroin strapped to your body that you knew what you were doing at the time. i dont think that the death penalty is warranted, thats all.

These people should be given the same amount of consideration as they gave to the end users of the product they were trying to smuggle into Australia. Were they concerned with the misery of the unfortunates that get hooked on this stuff. Were they concerned with the victims of crimes committed to sustain the habits of users. Were they concerned with the heartache of the families of users found dead as a result of overdosing. Sure they are young, but old enough to make decisions. They decided to make a quick dollar and took the risk of getting caught. Hopefully this will deter young people from making the same mistake.