Tailor Salesmen Blocking Sidewalk

cali4995

these people are literally all over the city, they purposefully step in front of you as

you're trying to make your way down the sidewalk, usually pawing at you in an

attempt at a handshake but it just comes off as incredibly rude i think. where do

they teach these sales techniques? does anyone actually buy from these guys?

does anyone else find this grossly offensive? i usually just avoid them, crossing the

street or stepping off the sidewalk to avoid the inevitable conflict. yesterday, while

i was looking at the street one stepped right in front of me and i accidentally body

blocked him because i had no time to react. then, as i proceeded down the street

he began insulting me in thai (not very well because of course they are indians).

so, i circled back and snuck up on him and scared him pretty badly because i guess

he never had anyone challenge his obnoxious behavior before. then, for most of the

rest of the afternoon i continued stalking him. repeatedly showing up and keeping him

off balance until he dragged an accomplice outside before i could jump him. ha-ha-ha

In my experience I have had no bother. But I do not shake hands with them as I pass. And I know that a minority can be agressive and a pain in the arse.

I have seen some visit the Police Station soi 9 because some foreigner has smacked them one in the face!

In my experience I have had no bother. But I do not shake hands with them as I pass. And I know that a minority can be agressive and a pain in the arse.

I have seen some visit the Police Station soi 9 because some foreigner has smacked them one in the face!

Indians don't get huge support from the Royal Thai Police. :o

I HATE them. More foreigners should wallop these bothersome lowlives! :o

I used to just ignore them completely as I do most salepeople.

A guy I knew from London would tell them to F^%& off very loudly as they extended their hands on Pattayaland 2 - it really got to them but after a while they never bothered him.

I have noticed when they shake hands they rap their thumb and finger around your thumb and try to guide you into their shop.where they learnt this sales pitch god knows.I find most very obnoxious to the point where i dont even speak to them.my gf likes to walk the sea-side of pattaya beach rd so i dont slap one of our colonial friends lol.

Give these guys a break. Somebody must buy those suits or they wouldn't be there. If they talk to 1000 people and 1 stops to buy-- then they make a sale. But if they don't ask everybody then they won't get that one sale. If you don't want what they want, don't stop. Sales is a hard job, I used to do it. I guess that's why they don't bother me.

Give these guys a break. Somebody must buy those suits or they wouldn't be there. If they talk to 1000 people and 1 stops to buy-- then they make a sale. But if they don't ask everybody then they won't get that one sale. If you don't want what they want, don't stop. Sales is a hard job, I used to do it. I guess that's why they don't bother me.

Yes, sales is a hard job and one I could not do.

Then there are way's to approcach people in a polite and acceptable manner. These guy's do not do that and thus they can be brushed aside just as impolitely if they persist.

Its like shop assistants that pounce on you as soon as you enter a shop to browse. They get a quick, "Just looking" from me usually followed by a quick exit from the shop or I just tell them i can not hear as my iPod is on.

If I need help I am perfectly capable of asking for their assistance just as I am of finding a tailor shop when I need one.

Being a northerner though the faux cockney accent really pisses me off - if there is one reason never ever to acknowledge their presence it is this :o:D

It's not like a suit is an impulse buy is it. Out for a few beers with your mates 'actually I could do with a new suit, and this chap with his 'mockney' accent has convinced me of that'.

There is often talk of crackdowns on their aggressive and intrusive sales tactics, but nothing seems to change.

If I ever needed a tailor I would avoid these places like the plague, as I wouldn't want these scumbags getting a Satang of commission.

As a side note, does anyone know their work permit status? When a friend of mine had a suit made a few years ago the actual seamstress was Thai, the Indians were just 'fronting' the business, taking measurements etc. So what are they doing that a Thai could not? A friend said he thought they were Thai-Indiands, ie. born here.

The tailors are in a heavy competition, so they will approach as many people as possible.

I reckon it's all part of the theatre of the street, along with the Thai massage shops, the spruikers for the bars, the beggars, the street food vendors - they all give the place a vibrancy which gives me energy - I love it!!

Sorry, but they block the access for people who want to get from A to B. As do the time-share pushers, the dawdling tourists and so on.

I usually use Second Road rather than Beach Road, because of all these problems.

Also the stalls on Beach Road creep further on to the (narrow) pavement - the parked motor-bikes prevent one from stepping in to the road - and if one did, the kerb-crawling sawng theaws would run you down.

As far as tailoring goes - I will not patronise these stores on principle. I do use a Chinese guy up around the Pattaya Klang / Beach Road area, but have not been there for a couple of years now.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

So much fun can be had with these clowns and their offers of a handshake. Looking like you're going to shake their hand and then grabbing at a mosquito in my favourite. I don't know why anyone would object. What's even funnier is watching the clueless tourist all pleased that the friendly Asian chap wants to shake his hand and start a conversation.

I've never had problems with them - you quickly learn to just avoid the eye contact and generally ignore them as if they don't exist. The Thai touts going around the bars selling whatnot are much worse; if you ignore them they start poking your back to get your attention :o

Edited by Phil Conners

If you live here long enough, they know you live here and in my case run around in shorts and t-shirts so they eventually get the message you are a waste of time to hassle. Of course, there are always new ones who don't know me yet. I consider dealing with them a valuable exercise in the BLANK FACE Zen response, not friendly, not mean, just not. Try it, it works.

I do like my old grand'pa once showed me. Just pretend to spit in your hand (the farmer way) and then extend your hand to them. That will make them remove their hand in a split second.

I also saw a huge guy once that took the "gay" approach. Grapped the hand, embraced the indian tailor guy with both arms, lifted him high up and landed a big wet smooch on his cheek. This poor Indian guy didnt know what leg to stand on after that and I was laughing so hard I dropped my coffee cup :o

I just push my hand down inside the back of my pants and have a good scratch while I'm approaching them !

Tip, It's best to roll eyes and have tongue hanging out at same time

Works for me.

Naka.

Edited by naka

When a friend of mine had a suit made a few years ago the actual seamstress was Thai, the Indians were just 'fronting' the business, taking measurements etc. So what are they doing that a Thai could not? .

Yes they pretty much subcontrct the making to a Thai so why not cut out the middle man. I use Jimmy on Soi six.

Richard

When a friend of mine had a suit made a few years ago the actual seamstress was Thai, the Indians were just 'fronting' the business, taking measurements etc. So what are they doing that a Thai could not? .

Yes they pretty much subcontrct the making to a Thai so why not cut out the middle man. I use Jimmy on Soi six.

Richard

oops its not Jimmy its Mr Will . anyway a nice non pushy Thai bloke. Left hand side of Soi six heading to the beach about a third of the wat down.

Richard

Just kick them as hard as you can between the legs and they will quickly move both hands down towards their genital area and then fall over on the sidewalk. Then, you can stand nearby for a few seconds and watch them get run over by a baht bus, motorbike, or fruit cart.

Being a northerner though the faux cockney accent really pisses me off - if there is one reason never ever to acknowledge their presence it is this :o:D

Surely you could communicate better in Hindi or Gujarati. However, it is doubtful that any language school in Pattaya--or in Britain?--teaches proper cockney (with which you would be pleased, presumably) or Brummie or Geordie or any of the other dialects uttered by the Brits in Pattaya. Might you be able to find it merely amusing, the salesman's attempts to speak cockney in order to communicate with you? What was it exactly that pissed you off? Had you spoken in Received Pronunciation, which few in Pattaya have ever mastered, might you have gotten the same back, with an Indian accent? Might be worth a try. As you know, many Indians speak far better English than does the average Brit.

I wonder whether the faux cockney may be at least easier for most non-Brit customers/tourists to understand. In any case, such would hardly be pissed off except to wonder why the pronunciation wasn't either Received Pronunciation or General American, which the rest of the world most readily understands.

Surely you could communicate better in Hindi or Gujarati. However, it is doubtful that any language school in Pattaya--or in Britain?--teaches proper cockney (with which you would be pleased, presumably) or Brummie or Geordie or any of the other dialects uttered by the Brits in Pattaya. Might you be able to find it merely amusing, the salesman's attempts to speak cockney in order to communicate with you? What was it exactly that pissed you off? Had you spoken in Received Pronunciation, which few in Pattaya have ever mastered, might you have gotten the same back, with an Indian accent? Might be worth a try. As you know, many Indians speak far better English than does the average Brit.

I wonder whether the faux cockney may be at least easier for most non-Brit customers/tourists to understand. In any case, such would hardly be pissed off except to wonder why the pronunciation wasn't either Received Pronunciation or General American, which the rest of the world most readily understands.

I speak with Indians most day's so an Indian accent would have been preferable :D

"Awight mate - how you doin geezer" easier for most non-Brits?