Uk Old Age Pension Paid In Thailand

Many thanks for those helpful replies.

I was of the opinion I would be OK claiming the married couples pension when I retire.

My wife is also an Irish citizen and has an Irish passport.

I assume for those married to a Thai with ILR in the UK that the pension for the wife stops when the husband dies.

As I understand it if the husband dies first if the wife is over 45 she will be entitled to a widows pension as long as she doesn't remarry and when she's 65 if she doesn't have enough contributions in her own right to qualify for a full pension then she is entitled to a full pension on the back of her husbands contributions (assuming her husband had paid his contributions in full). And as the UK government doesn't discriminate on race it doesn't matter whether the wife is British, Thai, or any other nationality.

Wife over 45 Apart from the Widows Pension (I did not ask that one) that is correct today . Plus she would get a bereavement lump sum (2,000) and bereavement payments for a year.

FWIW I just spent some time on the Phone to various UK offices last night. And they were frendly and very helpful.

The phone number for asking about stuff for your wife is +441912187777 8am to 8pm UK time.

Also if you havent got enough years for a full pension (40? if retiring before 2010. 30 if retiring after 2010. then get a pensions forcast and pay up) +441212253886

In my case to go from 65% to 100% will cost about 2,000UKP and that will come back in under 2 years at todays rates

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've been reading this thread with much interest. Especially Billd's posts and attachment.

I wonder If anybody could advis me on my situation.

I worked from 14 until 55 with 7+5 years in the RM I also served the full 30 years in the police force.

I was married to my first Thai wife for 54 years , although she was never in paid employment though when I turned 65 she was elligable for a pension based on my N.I. contributions. At this time we were both living in the UK.

When we retired to Thailand they stopped any increases to our pensions.

On my wifes passing her pension of course stopped and I believe my own pension was reduced.

I have since married again to a Thai National this time we have only resided in Thailand, though the marriage has been registered with the British Embassy.

My wife is ot yet 45 years old.

Is / Will / When will she be elligable for a British Pension.

Thanks for any info!

Regards

Boot Neck

Hello,

I've been reading this thread with much interest. Especially Billd's posts and attachment.

I worked from 14 until 55 with 7+5 years in the RM I also served the full 30 years in the police force.

I was married to my first Thai wife for 54 years , although she was never in paid employment though when I turned 65 she was elligable for a pension based on my N.I. contributions. At this time we were both living in the UK.

On my wifes passing her pension of course stopped and I believe my own pension was reduced.

I have since married again to a Thai National this time we have only resided in Thailand, though the marriage has been registered with the British Embassy.

Thanks for any info!

Regards

Boot Neck

Firstly, if you don't already receive it, you are entitled to a married dependency allowance for your wife because you are already over the age of 65, regardless of where you live (providing she is not working and/or earning over £60 per week).

On the back of your contributions she will be entitled to a widows pension if she is over 45 when you die and then a UK retirement pension when she reaches 65 providing she doesn't remarry. Qualification for the widows pension also depends on whether she is working and how much she earns, but I can't remember the cut off levels. If she's under 45 she's only entitles to a one off berevement payment which I think is about £2000.

Hello,

Thanks for any info!

Regards

Boot Neck

Thanks Bootneck

I just wrote off to the pensions department this week about my pension rate and when I get a reply I will post it on the thread.

I didn't know that my wife would get a widows pension at 45 though which is good news as she is 43 now.

I do want to stick around for quite a bit longer though as our son is only 4.

:D:o

Thanks for the replies!

I found on the pensions web site you can make claims and amendments online.

I am waiting for their response.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll also find the link for the pensions online thing.

Bootneck

Success after a 7 month application process, i have now been awarded additional allowance on my UK Pension for my wife and it was back dated with arrears paid to my pension start date which was 3/3/08 , the increase is worth 52.36 pounds a week .

If you apply and your wife already has a UK National Insurance number it will be quick, if like me she lives in Thailand and doesnt work and has never had a national insurance number , phone the international pensions centre 008441912187777 and ask for application form, allowance for wife , when you send it in make sure you send in the following , marriage cert, wifes birth cert, and if wife has been divorced her divorce papers , they will translate and start the process for issuing a NIN , send them EMS as it is quicker, registered and you can track it on line at Thai post, if you hear nothing after 6 weeks give them a call or send email , remeber when it arrives at pensions office it takes a further 2 weeks before it is in the hands of the person who will deal with it , badger them with emails and phone calls and it will quicken the process , it did in my case .

Good luck pm me if you want any more details

Dave

Thanks for the replies!

I found on the pensions web site you can make claims and amendments online.

I am waiting for their response.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll also find the link for the pensions online thing.

Bootneck

Success after a 7 month application process, i have now been awarded additional allowance on my UK Pension for my wife and it was back dated with arrears paid to my pension start date which was 3/3/08 , the increase is worth 52.36 pounds a week .

If you apply and your wife already has a UK National Insurance number it will be quick, if like me she lives in Thailand and doesnt work and has never had a national insurance number , phone the international pensions centre 008441912187777 and ask for application form, allowance for wife , when you send it in make sure you send in the following , marriage cert, wifes birth cert, and if wife has been divorced her divorce papers , they will translate and start the process for issuing a NIN , send them EMS as it is quicker, registered and you can track it on line at Thai post, if you hear nothing after 6 weeks give them a call or send email , remeber when it arrives at pensions office it takes a further 2 weeks before it is in the hands of the person who will deal with it , badger them with emails and phone calls and it will quicken the process , it did in my case .

Good luck pm me if you want any more details

Dave

I have just called the international pensions centre + 44 191 218 7777 which is this number depending on where you call from

I spoke to a nice young lady called Leanne who told me that the earliest that the pensions centre will send out the forms to you is 4 months before your pension is due they will send out the forms to your last given address. In the pack will be a form asking for your dependants details and you fill that in and send them off with your details (making sure you keep a copy or two) and when your pension is paid your wife will get the dependants allowance.

However this will only happen up until April 2010 and it seems that it will only be paid until 2020.

There are threads either currently running or have been which have more detail than I can remember.

• 5 months later...

I was of the opinion I would be OK claiming the married couples pension when I retire.

I assume for those married to a Thai with ILR in the UK that the pension for the wife stops when the husband dies.

It is my understanding unless things have changed

Your wife will continue to be paid a pension after you die provided she is 60…………..

If you are from the uk and entitled to a uk old age pension you can claim the married mans pension provided you are legally married

She does not need to have ever lived in the uk

It is the persons right to claim for a wife on his pension you can also apply for a national insurance number for her even if she has never lived in the uk she can then claim for a pension based on your contributions for the rest of her life once she reaches the age of 60

Child allowance will only be paid for children living in the uk if they are granted uk citizenship and are legally adopted, you can still claim the allowance even if they return to Thailand

Your wife is your wife they cannot demand where they live just so they don’t have to pay the married mans allowance its not the wife who claims it’s the man who is married if he dies then she needs to make her own claim and is best if she already has an national insurance no

I helped a man who lived in Thailand claim for his married mans allowance 3 years ago and he got it

It took 9 months but they paid the back pay

Hope this helps

Your wife will continue to be paid a pension after you die provided she is 60…………..

If you are from the uk and entitled to a uk old age pension you can claim the married mans pension provided you are legally married

It is the persons right to claim for a wife on his pension you can also apply for a national insurance number for her even if she has never lived in the uk she can then claim for a pension based on your contributions for the rest of her life once she reaches the age of 60

Child allowance will only be paid for children living in the uk if they are granted uk citizenship and are legally adopted, you can still claim the allowance even if they return to Thailand

Your wife is your wife they cannot demand where they live just so they don’t have to pay the married mans allowance its not the wife who claims it’s the man who is married if he dies then she needs to make her own claim and is best if she already has an national insurance no

I helped a man who lived in Thailand claim for his married mans allowance 3 years ago and he got it

Hope this helps

get your claim in quick found out this on uk .gov pension ste

State Pension deferral simply means putting off claiming your State Pension when you reach State Pension age, or choosing to stop claiming it after you have already claimed it. This allows you to build up extra income or a taxable lump-sum payment.

The State Pension age is set by law and is 60 for a woman born on or before 5 April 1950 and 65 for a man. You cannot get your State Pension before State Pension age, even if you retire from your employment before State Pension age. For women born on or after 6 April 1950, State Pension age will begin to increase from April 2010 so that by 2020, both men and women will have the same State Pension age of 65.

The state pension age for both men and women is to increase from 65 to 68 between 2024 and 2046, with each change phased in over two consecutive years in each decade. The first increase, from 65 to 66, will be phased in between April 2024 and April 2026; the second, from 66 to 67, will be phased in between April 2034 and April 2036; and the third, from 67 to 68, between April 2044 and April 2046.

Find out your State Pension age with the State Pension age calculator

Important information about Adult dependency increases

An adult dependency increase is an increase in your State Pension for a wife, husband or someone who is looking after your children, provided he or she is considered to be financially dependent on you.

If you are entitled to claim an adult dependency increase, you will not be able to do so if you put off claiming your State Pension until 6 April 2010 or later.

Find out more about adult dependency increases

Hope this helps

When I spoke to the pensions department in April I was told to send my original marriage certificate and birth certificate (I had filled the form in already) but I was in New Zealand until the end of May.

I also asked about a NI number for my wife and they told me to send in her birth certificate as well and once they had it translated she would then be issued a number.

I will call them again tomorrow and ask specifically what they require but I will scan all the important certificates onto my computer then save a copy of that somewhere else, just in case.

I hope it works as I am now 15 days overdue my pension as at this morning. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Do Thais have birth certificates and if so where can I get a copy? Her that does the ironing says she has never heard about birth certificates but since she has an ID card there must be a record of her birth somewhere.

Following advice rendered above it seems that getting her a NI number is a good move on our part. I have been at loggerheadswith the Newcastle crowd for the past three years over benefits that may accrue to my wife upon my demise and am now turning up the heat. In this respect I must admit to a degree of satisfaction that the shower in black and white stripes were relegated this year. (Yeah, I know it is childish.)

I recently won a five year tussle with the Revenue about the amount of UK tax I was paying and they have sent me a cheque which extended to four figures before the decimal point. A successful conclusion to WW3, now for WW4. :)

I wrote to the pensions department in December and I had a reply in January this year. Basically it says that for me (Iam 65 in May 2009) there will be an allowance paid for my Thai wife based on MY contributions but I understand that this will be phased out by 2020 (I think).

So depending on your current age it may be payable but for a better and more knowledgeable reply you should write to the address on the letter.

I hope that this is of use to people.

post-5614-1205042335_thumb.jpg

I heard that new claimants of pensionable age can claim up to 2010,and exsisting claimants will still get payment up to 2020.At least this will stop many immigrants claiming in the Uk.

• 6 months later...
I wrote to the pensions department in December and I had a reply in January this year. Basically it says that for me (Iam 65 in May 2009) there will be an allowance paid for my Thai wife based on MY contributions but I understand that this will be phased out by 2020 (I think).

So depending on your current age it may be payable but for a better and more knowledgeable reply you should write to the address on the letter.

I hope that this is of use to people.

post-5614-1205042335_thumb.jpg

Thanks

I was not aware of that but wher in the letter does ir say it is being phased out?

Ron

• 2 months later...
again , i read that eu workers in the uk , specifically polish men , are claiming and receiving child benefit for their children who are back home with their mothers in poland and have never set foot in the uk.

i dont know if they are legally entitled to this or they are just playing on the inefficiency of the uk benefit system.

but to me , it looks like an abuse of the system.

It would be illegal,and certainly abuse of the system,the child must be resident in the UK.

Dont believe everything you read in the Sun and Daily Mail.

Scouser and Majic,

I'm sure that you're both right but we all know that the UK press never let a small matter like the truth get in the way of a great story.I've mentioned on a couple of the other UK pensions threads that all actions in relation to UK state, personal and occupational pensions are now potentially eveidence as far as HMRc are concerned in establishing taxation basis - so there's a much wider implication to claims now.

We're getting a UK tax and pensions expert here to speak about this at a number of events next week and as the Wednesday morning breakfast still has some spaces available I'm offering these free to TV readers on a first come/first served basis. PM me for details.

Cheers

Paul