River Flowing North?

deejah

yes its true

in bkk for the first time, this morning, i saw the river flowing north, not south

anyone know why???

The Chaophraya is tidal up to Ayuddhaya, it reverses flow a couple of times a day

Sorry Tigger, I just felt that some people, including myself at some point, might not have realised that the river is tidal

I missed out a lot in school but I now have two degrees and appreciate that the OP didn't understand the rivers movements :o Hope I didn't sound too serious

Edited by seonai

Sorry Tigger, I just felt that some people, including myself at some point, might not have realised that the river is tidal

I missed out a lot in school but I now have two degrees and appreciate that the OP didn't understand the rivers movements :o Hope I didn't sound too serious

No, not at all. I'm just one of those educated 'know it all' pain in the arse types! :D

You're cool!

Here is one river that does flow North away from the sea for part of the year: the Tonle Sap river in Cambodia:

Description of the Water Festival, Phnom Penh from Google:

"The Water Festival also marks a unique natural phenomenon - the Tonle Sap river reverses the flow of its current. It is probably the only waterway in the world which flows in opposite directions at different times of the year.

The Tonle Sap lake or Great Lake is a vast expanse of water, once an arm of the sea, which forms the most significant topographical feature in country. The lake is fed by the Mekong river and the Tonle Sap river. From November to May, the Tonle Sap river runs into the Mekong just like any other tributary. But with the arrival of the monsoon rains, there is such build-up of water in the main stream that excess pours into the Tonle Sap river, forcing it to change direction and flow back into the Tonle Sap lake."

This Water Festival is sometimes confused with the Buddhist New Year celebrations held at the same time as Songkran.

I missed out a lot in school but I now have two degrees and appreciate that the OP didn't understand the rivers movements :D Hope I didn't sound too serious

When it comes to common dog-fu_ck degrees don't mean <deleted>. I've worked with many PhD equipped people over the years and some of them have been amoungst the most useless morons put on earth. No idea of practicality.

Educated doesn't mean intelligent. Too bad lots of us haven't figured that out yet. :o

I missed out a lot in school but I now have two degrees and appreciate that the OP didn't understand the rivers movements :D Hope I didn't sound too serious

When it comes to common dog-fu_ck degrees don't mean <deleted>. I've worked with many PhD equipped people over the years and some of them have been amoungst the most useless morons put on earth. No idea of practicality.

Educated doesn't mean intelligent. Too bad lots of us haven't figured that out yet. :o

What? I never said education equalled intelligence either :D I find it very interesting to learn about the water in the river, thanks all :D

Actually it was the gravitational pull of Thaksin's loot being sucked out of Bangkok up to Chiang Mai then over the border into Laos before finally ending up in China.

All threads lead to Thaksin!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen water from a waterfall going UPHILLL. It was blowing a gale of wind at the time and the droplets of water that were being blown uphill and to the side were being turned to ice before hitting me in the face! :o

Moral - in a gale of wind walk down the upwind side of a waterfall!

Alan