Gullivers Walking Street

paul1970

Looking at Gullivers website yesterday I see they are advertising a Gullivers Walking street that is supposedly opening March 2008. Took a drive down walking street this morning, don't usually see much of this street in the daytime !!, but couldn't see any sign of the place.

Anybody know where this is going to be ? or have any more information ?

No idea...only Gulllivers I know of in Patters is the one near soi 1 Beach Road. That one is much easier to get to and park at than any on Walking Street would be. Also, any new one on Walking would attract a certain kind of customer and their new "friend" for the nite and also loads of freelancers. So if that's the atmosphere you are looking for it should be nice...otherwise, the one at soi 1 is better IMHO.

No idea...only Gulllivers I know of in Patters is the one near soi 1 Beach Road. That one is much easier to get to and park at than any on Walking Street would be. Also, any new one on Walking would attract a certain kind of customer and their new "friend" for the nite and also loads of freelancers. So if that's the atmosphere you are looking for it should be nice...otherwise, the one at soi 1 is better IMHO.

Sounds like they want to have the same style of Gullivers as in Bangkok. Maybe they make more money with that. Nothing wrong with it thought. The one near Soi one is very nice, but most of the time a bit emty.

The new Gullivers is located opposite the first 7-11 at the start of Walking Street, also close to Beavers Go-Go Bar. It is where the old De La Mer Hotel was located that never really took off. A very small entrance but the building stretches back some way. Looks like it is only days away from opening now. They have just posted a security guard at the entrance so I am guessing the expensive bar equipment has been installed.

I know the De La Mer Hotel. I heard that a rich family bought it for their son as something to do. He got bored with it and then it was on sale for about 40 million Baht. Of course that could have been Walking Street gossip.

It is in an excellent location with tons of foot traffic and I hope Gullivers does well.

TheWalkingMan

Great Location, I hope it becomes a true Freelancers bar like Bangkok not like the one in North Pattaya on Beach Road. Always dead

It should do well there as the location is prime...though sorta weird layout as isn't the building a narrow shop-house affair?

It will surely be a typical WS honky-tonk and will attract "that" sort of crowd...but would be a welcome respite for those who don't fancy the ear-drum tranc or hip-hop music of The Hammer, Tonys, or Lucifer's but still want a place to sit and have a few drinks (and is not a beer bar or gogo).

The Gullivers on Beach road is not "dead." It does a very good trade most nights...just not a good venue if you are looking for a quick pick-up. Though, as like anywheres in Patters, there are a few freelancers even there too on most nights.

Great Location, I hope it becomes a true Freelancers bar like Bangkok not like the one in North Pattaya on Beach Road. Always dead

It should do well there as the location is prime...though sorta weird layout as isn't the building a narrow shop-house affair?

I went for a look again and did manage to see the entrance, wow it is small and very easily missed but knowing Gullivers, I have frequented every one at some point or other, there will be some huge neon signs going up so that it will be impossible to miss.

I must say I hate the Lucifer, Hammer, Tony rip off joints and just plain refuse to patronize these places out of principle. The great thing I have found with all Gullivers is that everything is fairly priced with no rip offs and usually a great atmosphere and I really applaud the proprietor who ever he may be on knowing how to run a really good succesful business and good luck to him with his new walking street venture which I'm sure will be a success.

is the new bird cage somewhere on that bit as well anyone know?

If the Birdcage is anything like it's movie namesake, I assume it would be a gay oriented venue and therefore not likely to be located on WS. The fact someone has said it's to be located on soi Day Night seems to confirm this.

Again, Bird Cage Walk was

1) the corridor in Newgate Prison where capital-offence prisoners took their last walk to the gallows (and were then buried under the paving) or

2) the road near Buck House where James I (or VI if you're a kilt-wearing bas**ard who beat us over the weekend) had his aviary. Long before Buck House was built, of course - so don't read too much into my post.

"Cage aux Folles" was the original, hilarious, French film. The American copy was nowhere near the original.

Roll on Gullivers in South Pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this place just opened last night I think. Although it's not called

Gulliver's but something else? Believe it or not they have somehow mounted

a '55 chevy belair on the wall entering the place. No joke, it's not a fiberglass

replica either the real thing. Quite a feat of engineering, can't quite figure out

how that could have been done without a crane? While the front-end of the

club only looks to be 5m across, it does seem to extend back deceptively far?