Teak Floors

Rasseru

Before any of the usual suspects jump on me, my search of the forum's other topics did not come up with any helpful results, so here I am with some questions.

Does anyone know if it is possible in Chiangmai to have real teak floors installed in one's home? By which I mean, not flooring with teak veneer or laminate of some kind, but solid teak? Any recommendations as to who can do this kind of work well?

I have a hunch that, even if it is possible, the cost could be quite high and possibly -- at least for cheap Charlies :o -- prohibitive. Any ideas?

A good place to start might be Taweephan timber merchants. They have a yard/office in Sanpakoy (on opposite side of Charoenmuang) as you come into town from the railway station. As far as I remember their main yard is out on the Mae Rim Rd.

Voila!

I can do even better with a quick search

Thaweephan

Yes of course you can.

You can for sure get real solid wood flooring done anywhere in Los.

Usually the price depends greatly on the grade, the width and the length.

Shorter lengths, 4 inches wide and a grade with many knots in it will be the cheapest and range up to lengths of 1.5 to 2m and possibly more, 6 to 8 inches wide and triple A grade with no knots.

Prices laid should vary from 2000 baht, possibly a little under for real cheap stuff, to 4000 baht per square meter.

Before any of the usual suspects jump on me, my search of the forum's other topics did not come up with any helpful results, so here I am with some questions.

Does anyone know if it is possible in Chiangmai to have real teak floors installed in one's home? By which I mean, not flooring with teak veneer or laminate of some kind, but solid teak? Any recommendations as to who can do this kind of work well?

I have a hunch that, even if it is possible, the cost could be quite high and possibly -- at least for cheap Charlies :o -- prohibitive. Any ideas?

I recommended this company only a few days ago..To you as well..That search button can be such a drag huh ?? :D

As for the "usual suspects" i think you may be one of them...no ?? :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1850691

I recommended this company only a few days ago..To you as well..That search button can be such a drag huh ?? :o

Even on a second read, and with the benefit of your helpful editorial comment, I can find nothing in your earlier post about teak floors. I confess and plead guilty to being so literally minded that I am incapable of reading between the lines. :D

I recommended this company only a few days ago..To you as well..That search button can be such a drag huh ?? :o

Even on a second read, and with the benefit of your helpful editorial comment, I can find nothing in your earlier post about teak floors. I confess and plead guilty to being so literally minded that I am incapable of reading between the lines. :D

CONSTRUCTION COMPANY...Who else would know how to obtain and install "teak floors"..a butcher ?? someone in the night bazzar perhaps ??

The company i gave you the details for (twice now) will be able to steer you in the right direction. :D

hence why i gave you the details.

Or do you think i just posted them for fun ?? :D

If that's not good enough for you then go and ask Grahame at The Pub about Pok Construction. He (Pok) has the knowledge, the English skills and has worked with "fussy" farangs for long enough to be able to answer your questions.

Edited by Austhaied

CONSTRUCTION COMPANY...Who else would know how to obtain and install "teak floors"..a butcher ?? someone in the night bazzar perhaps ??

The company i gave you the details for (twice now) will be able to steer you in the right direction. :D

I applaud your acting skills. Few are capable of feigning obtuseness so convincingly! :D

I applaud your acting skills. Few are capable of feigning obtuseness so convincingly! :D

Acting ?? All i was trying to do was give you a decent contact for your teak floor project.

What is your problem ??

Is this how you treat people trying to lend a hand ??

feigning obtuseness ?? Sorry mate..I'm in the construction industry. You'll have to call the intellect police. PM me for my address. :D

In addition to Tawipan, there is Wood World and Suksawat who are also large wood suppliers and who sell teak flooring and can recommend some installers for you. Solid teak, different sizes and grades. There are a lot of other smaller shops that also sell teak flooring but I think those are the 3 biggest ones.

You can probably get it done for less than 2000 baht per square meter if you choose the smallest size wood and a lower grade. Installation including finish ranges from around 250-450 per sq m. for the labor.

Edited by Bill97

There are various timber merchants around town. A big one (no idea what it's name is) can be found by driving around the ring road past the bid Home Mart (nopadom planet) and take the small road on the left about a 100 meters past Home Mart. a few hundred meters along this road is the timber merchant who have a lot of teak in stock of various grades with prices to match.

There are various timber merchants around town. A big one (no idea what it's name is) can be found by driving around the ring road past the bid Home Mart (nopadom planet) and take the small road on the left about a 100 meters past Home Mart. a few hundred meters along this road is the timber merchant who have a lot of teak in stock of various grades with prices to match.

That is Suksuwat, talk with Miss Jaruwan who runs the place, she is very helpful even in English.

• 4 months later...

It took me a while, but I have found a place that I trust and from which I would be comfortable buying teak flooring.

My problem is, they do not do installation work themselves. They have offered to put me in touch with someone based in Pattaya who can do professional flooring installation. Unfortunately, though, that person is out of the country and not due to return until late next week. That creates a scheduling problem for me, the details of which are not relevant.

I have been advised by a friend that one cannot find in Chiangmai tradesmen who can install flooring in a professional way.

If, contrary to what I have been advised, anyone knows of any floorers here who can in fact install flooring well and properly, I would be grateful if you could provide me with their names and contact information. It would be enormously helpful if they spoke some English, but I would appreciate even leads to floorers who do not speak English.

Edited by Rasseru

Can you post details of the flooring you found?

Yes, of course, but I would like to understand what details would interest you. Are you curious about the flooring in and of itself, possibly with a view to buying some yourself? Or do you think further details of some kind would help you answer my question? In either case, please explain a little what kind of details would be helpful.

Do you not find it a bit strange that the people you have chosen to buy wood from suggest an installer from Pattaya and have nobody to recommend in CM?

The kind of tradesman you need depends on the type of job you have. For example, is it short 12"-18" pieces that would be glued down on a concrete slab or is it 3 meter long pieces that would have to be nailed onto wood strips which are imbedded in or attached to the sub floor? How many square meters? If you just might be content with the type of floor installations found in many 15 million baht and up houses, then there are tradesmen in Chiang Mai who do some of that. Do you have the knowledge to manage a flooring subcontractor or would you be better off having your highly touted contractor do it?

Finally, you seem to have scheduling problems but you would be extremely lucky to find a good tradesman that did not have a backlog of work requiring you to wait weeks.

Do you not find it a bit strange that the people you have chosen to buy wood from suggest an installer from Pattaya and have nobody to recommend in CM?

No, for a few reasons. They export most of what they make, only a small proportion of which is flooring, and don't focus on the local market that much or purport to know good installers here. The person in Pattaya is not an installer himself, but the owner of a company that builds gymnasia (with, yes, wooden floors) across Southeast Asia, and an acquaintance of the person who runs the company I would buy the wood from.

The kind of tradesman you need depends on the type of job you have. For example, is it short 12"-18" pieces that would be glued down on a concrete slab or is it 3 meter long pieces that would have to be nailed onto wood strips which are imbedded in or attached to the sub floor?

The pieces will need to be attached to the sub-floor. There seem to be several ways that this could be done, so I cannot answer more precisely now.

How many square meters?

About 120.

If you just might be content with the type of floor installations found in many 15 million baht and up houses, then there are tradesmen in Chiang Mai who do some of that.

I am not familiar with any such houses.

Do you have the knowledge to manage a flooring subcontractor or would you be better off having your highly touted contractor do it?

I have enough knowledge that I wish to be involved in the process. I would not be better off having my contractor do it. I am curious, by the way, as to why you call him, again, my 'highly touted' contractor.

Finally, you seem to have scheduling problems but you would be extremely lucky to find a good tradesman that did not have a backlog of work requiring you to wait weeks.

I will not need the tradesman until September. There is no useful reason for me to go into what the scheduling issue is.

The pieces will need to be attached to the sub-floor.

I am curious, by the way, as to why you call him, again, my 'highly touted' contractor.

You recommended your contractor very highly on this forum not long ago, didn't you?

It is heartening to know that you have decided that the pieces will need to be attached to the sub-floor.

When you can explain clearly what you want people will have a chance to help but when you go fishing not many bite.

The pieces will need to be attached to the sub-floor.

I am curious, by the way, as to why you call him, again, my 'highly touted' contractor.

You recommended your contractor very highly on this forum not long ago, didn't you?

It is heartening to know that you have decided that the pieces will need to be attached to the sub-floor.

When you can explain clearly what you want people will have a chance to help but when you go fishing not many bite.

Thank you so much for all your help.

• 5 months later...

For the benefit of anyone who wants to install a teak wood floor in the future and finds this thread, my own teak wood floor project had a number of problems but worked out well in the end.

For installation, I hired the company I mentioned earlier in this thread, and they sent a team in from Bangkok. I was able to find people in Chiangmai who install wood floors in some fashion, but not anyone who was experienced with installing wood floors consisting of tongue-and-groove pieces of wood flooring put in place over a plywood subflooring, with space around the edges to allow for expansion of the flooring. That said, I did not contact everyone here who might have been able to do the job (and was limited in my ability to do so because I do not yet speak more than a smattering of Thai), and it is of course possible that qualified installers exist.

If you are interested in installing a wood floor of the kind I did and have questions, feel free to send me a private message.