Salted Eggs. Any Successful Methods?

DurianChips

After buying salted eggs from several different Asian stores here in the US and having them all be disgusting (just not fresh), we've been trying to make them ourselves.... but so far without success. I did one batch of about a half dozen eggs soaked in saturated salt solution. After three weeks, I cooked one, and detected no signs of saltiness whatsoever. It just tasted like an egg.

So, has anyone out there had success with a homemade salted egg recipe? I'd be especially interested in anyone who has had success with supermarket eggs here in the US, since I seem to recall hearing at one time that they breed our chickens to have extra thick shells for easier transport.

I've been doing a bit of experimentation to try to dissolve the shell, in case that is the problem. Vinegar works quite well, but also renders the meat inedible. I've got one soaking in Coke right now

Thanks for reading, and we would appreciate any assistance!

• 5 weeks later...

additional tips...

1. use duck eggs if possible

2. usually eggs will float in the saline solution resulting to poor absorption. prevent this by putting some amount of the saline solution in a plastic bag, sealed tightly and used as weight over the eggs.

3. after three weeks, test one egg. if the preferred salty flavor has not been achieved, continue soaking until you get the desired result.

4. eggs should be boiled as soon as the soaking or "pickling" is done. then stored in the refrigerator. this is much better than storing uncooked and boiling later. the pickling also preserves the eggs the natural way but put in the refrigerator anyway until ready to use.