British Man Murdered in Petchabun

funfun

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but it usually takes some time (anywhere between several years and a few generations) hundred or thousands of minute payments back and forth of cash, gifts, and respect, generally not lump sums.

And that's not to say that that's the most common scenario or anything, just thought of it because I just happened to witness this thing this evening... in fact your odds are probably pretty good of not even crossing paths with anyone 'connected,' much less pissing them off. I'm just talking about bad luck/timing/cultural friction. IMO you're much more likely to piss off a taxi or motorcycle driver who is working rough hours/up to his eyeballs in debt/not getting much sleep and is probably just a few straws away from his 'breaking point,'... and whaddaya know, he happens to keep a tire iron or machete handy...

"I said Sackoooomwith Road, NOT Sail-ah-deng Road, dumbass!"

:o

Edited by Heng

Now I have seen his photo, it is such a small world at times. Ivor went to school with my brother. No offence, but you cannot mistake that hair style. I knew him slightly too in the 60's and he ended up living in Skelton just a few miles up the road from our home town and met his demise here in Thailand where my brother and I are. Certainly makes you wonder.

Very sad to hear what has happened to Ivor. Sincere condolences to the family.

Edit :-

I'd like to add that he always was a quiet person, none violent in the time I knew him and it is a great shame that one with his demeanour has met the violent end that has been reported :o

Edited by intumult

Seems very quiet on this topic.

A pattern of silence seems to be developing regarding murders of foreigners in Thailand. The authorities do not make any details public. The local (English language) press don't report anything. After a week or two, something emerges in the Teesside Chronicle or the Reno Reporter back home.

Good reasons for that:

1. Have you ever tried reporting a crime and/or filing a complaint with the police (Thai or Tourist)? First, the officers will be pissed off, as they have to stop playing video games/ watching TV/reading the paper. Then they will laugh about the 'stupid falang' who got robbed, etc. Eventually, after finding a translator and writing a complaint they will file the report away never to be seen again.

2. I guess it's also a "face" thing. Thailand loses 'face' reporting tourists murdered in Thailand. Tourists may decide to travel other places instead, which will mean loss of tourism dollars. And if anything is important to Thais nowadays it is (quick) money.

Protecting people from crime, publishing crime reports and statistics - not over here...

Let me tell you the real problem the cops have with ex-pat reports of crimes: the problem is that they have to complete a large amount of paper work, take statement(s), then they have to investigate, then they have to determine wheather or not charges are to be brought aginst anyone/someone ................. by which time "johnny tourist" is long gone, back home in Europe or wherever.

The problem: its all done for nothing unless the complianant (tourist) is around to follow through with the legal proceedings and court attendance. other than for serious crimes like murder. attempted murder, GBH, rape and other simialr crimes, the majority ex-pat reported crimes land up going no-where ultimately if the ex-pat is a tourist and his court presenc is going to be required.

Edited by Maizefarmer

I have just read the following report in todays Daily Telegraph about British Pensioner murdered in Pethabun:

British pensioner killed in Thailand predicted his own death!

A retired British design engineer has been found beaten and stabbed to death in his home in Thailand after apparently predicting his own murder.

Here is the link, perhaps the moderators would like to open up a seperate thread?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-own-death.html

When will people learn that putting something in someone elses name is tantamount to giving the property to them, thus making yourself expendable. RIP condolances to him and his family.

They are running another thread over in the general topics section. What a tragedy to say the least. I am asking myself why did he not stay in the UK or at least stay elsewhere here in Thailand until he sorted out his affairs if he was in fear for his life. Just an after thought. My heart truly goes out to his family.