British Man Murdered in Petchabun

funfun

As the killer was retarted, and if local experience is anything to go by. Nothing will come of this. A couple of years back in a neighbouring tambon. A local went to see his local Kamnam, who has a retarded son. The son walked through the door and whacked the guy over the head with a lump of wood, killing him instantly. His dad the Kamnan was taken by surprise and had no idea his son was capable of such an act. The son is still walking about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand, in common with most third-world countires, just doesn't have secure hospitals to deal with the criminally-insane as the West does. Therefore it is likely the police will just hand the culprit back to the doctors in his local community to continue plying him with toxic, psychosis-inducing medications instead of the raw, animal-food diet he urgently needs to nourish his brain and body. The alternative -- confinement to a conventional prison -- would only result in further deaths including, possibly, his.

How did he die?

let's bring in the khunying with the fancy hairdo and she might actually conclude the cause of death as "heart stopped beating".... :o

rip = ivor chandler

I think that "the Khunying" has a bit more under her fancy hairdo than to come up with a diagnosis such as you describe.

If they have nothing else Thailand is fortunate in having someone of her skill and apparent honesty.

How did he die?

let's bring in the khunying with the fancy hairdo and she might actually conclude the cause of death as "heart stopped beating".... :o

rip = ivor chandler

I think that "the Khunying" has a bit more under her fancy hairdo than to come up with a diagnosis such as you describe.

If they have nothing else Thailand is fortunate in having someone of her skill and apparent honesty.

john b good,

i concur, well said, lets not forget her bravery as well, not only is the woman fighting some form of cancer, she herself has been threatened with her life.

to listen to her talking on the tv is like a breath of fresh air, she is actually a witty and funny woman, and would be a credit to any country, thailand is as you say lucky to have such an asset, the sad thing is the establishment dont know what to do with or make of her, they perceive her as a threat, not the national treasure she is.

as bad as all these murders are, i wonder if anyone has studied the crime rate for farangs in thailand vs. back home? is it statistically more dangerous here?

I have no idea where you home is, but if you have to ask that question :o I hope the answers you find do not disturb you ... too much.

Anyone know where this happend? - Amphur Muang, Lomsak, Wichanburi or if you know the province was it out in farang acres aka Nong nguua? Any help much appreciated.

as bad as all these murders are, i wonder if anyone has studied the crime rate for farangs in thailand vs. back home? is it statistically more dangerous here?

Outside of Pattaya I would say less dangerous. Inside Pattaya, more. Overall the roads are much more dangerous everywhere in the country.

I think that the warnings are quite simple. When you visit your sweethearts home, you must think outside the bedroom! look at your surroundings! would you walk around certain areas of your home town at night with a belly full of homebrew, flashing your cash?

No of course you wouldnt.

Would you live in a village like the old days with no lock on your door? What about building a great big flashy house in a village built of tin and old wood, where your neighbours go out to buy food with 100 baht and sit half the day drinking local gut rot and have to catch the 5 baht bus into town to borrow more money from the bank? While you drive into town in your brand new pickup just for a beer with the boys everyday or to pick up a loaf from the Big C?

But of course the neighbours are lovely! half are family and the others love you more when you share a case of beer with them!

But then you get pissed off with them after a while, 'cause they are always round the house. You don't mind the local gals sitting with the missus, giving you the eye!

Put the boot on the other foot!

You have just cancelled every males chance of a wife or keeping one ' cause now they all want a farang and his money! big house, new car etc.

What are the chances you might piss off some local nutter?

Sure find a lady, marry her and then find a housing estate move in, wife can visit family, you have a resellable house, and poss neighbours who have a income.

If she insists on family give us land behind their house, or I must live in the village(Hmm! is that where you met her??) are her intentions for your future or theirs??

Sure give the pig food, and you won't have to hold its head down in the tough for it to eat!

A dog will wag its tail! a: because its pleased to see you? b: because its hoping for something?

What??? What are you talking about?

I suspect when he wakes up with a huge hangover, he will ask himself the same question, and wonder how he could have ever written such incomprehensible nonsense.

Oh dear not again. Perhaps Thai Visa should start running an obituary. RIP

Judging by these headklines for topics, I think you may be right.

Last 3 pages.

R.I.P. :o

One-legged Finn Fatally Stabbed In Pattaya Condo

British Man Murdered in Petchabun

American Shot Dead In Chiang Mai

Indian Tourist Murdered at Full Moon Party

Thai Woman Charged With Murdering American Ex-boyfriend

The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

Female Japanese Tourist Robbed And Murdered In Sukhothai

American Woman Volunteer Killed

Two Tourists In Pai Shot By A Police Officer

Canadian Brutally Murdered In Ranong

In reply to Trevor I follow your drift. However would his death and others like him, not be

detrimental to the using they are being given i.e. kill farangs, take their money, you will

soon be free to do the same again to the next daft s_d who makes himself vulnerable to

the culture (?).

Despicable.

I think that the warnings are quite simple. When you visit your sweethearts home, you must think outside the bedroom! look at your surroundings! would you walk around certain areas of your home town at night with a belly full of homebrew, flashing your cash?

Would you live in a village like the old days with no lock on your door? What about building a great big flashy house in a village built of tin and old wood, where your neighbours go out to buy food with 100 baht and sit half the day drinking local gut rot and have to catch the 5 baht bus into town to borrow more money from the bank? While you drive into town in your brand new pickup just for a beer with the boys everyday or to pick up a loaf from the Big C?

But of course the neighbours are lovely! half are family and the others love you more when you share a case of beer with them!

But then you get pissed off with them after a while, 'cause they are always round the house. You don't mind the local gals sitting with the missus, giving you the eye!

You have just cancelled every males chance of a wife or keeping one ' cause now they all want a farang and his money! big house, new car etc.

Sure find a lady, marry her and then find a housing estate move in, wife can visit family, you have a resellable house, and poss neighbours who have a income.

If she insists on family give us land behind their house, or I must live in the village(Hmm! is that where you met her??) are her intentions for your future or theirs??

Sure give the pig food, and you won't have to hold its head down in the tough for it to eat!

A dog will wag its tail! a: because its pleased to see you? b: because its hoping for something?

I suspect when he wakes up with a huge hangover, he will ask himself the same question, and wonder how he could have ever written such incomprehensible nonsense.

whats worrying me is i understand :o

Seems very quiet on this topic.

A pattern of silence seems to be developing regarding murders of foreigners in Thailand. The authorities do not make any details public. The local (English language) press don't report anything. After a week or two, something emerges in the Teesside Chronicle or the Reno Reporter back home.

Good reasons for that:

1. Have you ever tried reporting a crime and/or filing a complaint with the police (Thai or Tourist)? First, the officers will be pissed off, as they have to stop playing video games/ watching TV/reading the paper. Then they will laugh about the 'stupid falang' who got robbed, etc. Eventually, after finding a translator and writing a complaint they will file the report away never to be seen again.

2. I guess it's also a "face" thing. Thailand loses 'face' reporting tourists murdered in Thailand. Tourists may decide to travel other places instead, which will mean loss of tourism dollars. And if anything is important to Thais nowadays it is (quick) money.

Protecting people from crime, publishing crime reports and statistics - not over here...

Thailand, in common with most third-world countires, just doesn't have secure hospitals to deal with the criminally-insane as the West does. Therefore it is likely the police will just hand the culprit back to the doctors in his local community to continue plying him with toxic, psychosis-inducing medications instead of the raw, animal-food diet he urgently needs to nourish his brain and body. The alternative -- confinement to a conventional prison -- would only result in further deaths including, possibly, his.

We have them in England, but there are not enough. Only three Special Hospitals - Rampton, Ashworth and Broadmoor. Rampton and Ashworth are the only hospitals that make provision for Learning disability (Mental Retardation), with a very limited amount of accomodation. There are a number of RSU'S (Regional Secure Units), along with Privat Provision MSU's example Kneesworth House, Cefn Carnau etc, etc. Places are limited and very expensive. Many patients who had been in the Long term hospitals are now living in poorly supervised community homes or are living with community support, with unqualified staff. Sadly, something like this, is just as likely to happen in the UK in relation to the type of person that has been accused of the crime. There was a very sad case recently about a lad called Steven Hoskin in the UK, who being Mentally Retarded, was left unsupervised by the authorities , he was physically and mentally abused by some local teenagers, who forced him to jump off a viaduct, so people like this also need protection as well.

I find it sad that people with no understanding of Mental Illness or Mental retardation (there is a difference) are quick to rant out spiteful bile about these people, it is not the person, but the state that lets these people down.

An RMN/RNMH.

Oh! I'am sorry Mr. advanced, Platium members, I don't have the time to sit around thinking up how to use such big words, and am sorry you don't understand what i am talking about!

I think if you read the main comments SLOWLY you might understand what I am talking about.

Secondly the last phases are known as pro's. Try thinking about them with open minds!

As for drinking, you must be talking about yourselves! not everybody comes to Thailand to spend the rest of their life drinking! I work!

I understand 100% Peter, however you have to make allowances for some people.

Not everyone is able to clearly express their views as you have done, and from the negative responses to your post it is abundantly clear that there are many who just don't get it.

I have spent a lot of time in the villages of Thailand and yes there is a great deal of resentment present because we have a much greater disposable 'amount of money' than the poor 's*ds' in the villages. We come in and get the cream of the crop and they (the locals) are left with the "ugly sisters"

That does not excuse the festering minds from taking another's life simply because they are jealous.

The bottom line really is that we are not welcome here. The only thing that is welcome is our money.

Life just not fair, BUT, then no one ever said that it would be.

Dear p and c,

I understand what you are saying but want to add that the demeanor of the foreigner, how he acts toward people and how he deports himself in the Thai community is of much more importance than his percieved wealth alone.

There are "local nutters" everywhere you go. The foreigner enclaves where you suggest living seems to attract even more of them the way I see it.

'nuff said

~

Never heard of Baan Oke. Sad thing is Petchaboon is pretty low key on these matters aside from Lomsak which has seen tension between locals and farang expats. Ahh well ... sad.

Regarding Kristin Jones

who was far too trusting and chose to stay in a one-pound-a-night flea-pit guest house with no security

Unless the old Aree has been extensively remodeled besides the name change :o it certainly was not a pound a night flea pit, even if it is benificial for you to think of it as such.

Sound a bit like a lovers triangle gone bad. :o

Are you insinuating incest?

Incest? I think he means her Thai boyfriend or husband didn't like the idea of 'his woman' shagging a farang - and made his point quite violently. Like others have said the Thais don't fight to win, they fight to kill. That's why you avoid physical confrontations at all costs. However, none of that would have helped this poor guy.

EDIT: Sorry - just read the part about the brother as a suspect..I get your point.

Edited by thaigene2

Sound a bit like a lovers triangle gone bad. :o

Are you insinuating incest?

Incest? I think he means her Thai boyfriend or husband didn't like the idea of 'his woman' shagging a farang - and made his point quite violently. Like others have said the Thais don't fight to win, they fight to kill. That's why you avoid physical confrontations at all costs. However, none of that would have helped this poor guy.

I thought it was her mentally ill brother that killed him.

I understand. Closer to the truth than many like to acknowledge - but develop a thicker skin. Winding people up is a bit of a sport on TV - even though it's against forum rules - it's a rule that gets ignored by and large!

I agree that sometimes wind ups can be fun, when placed withsubjects that deserve them! But! When people want to give /remind or ask for advice from hopefully people who do more or know more, than making stupid one line comments, or worst change a serious tread into a slanging match, Then I hope others will comment.

As for a thicker skin I have lived up north now for five years in the outbacks of Phetchabun! You can't get any thicker skins than round here, Opps! thats a joke (sic).

Still the place and time for wind ups are for forum dealing with wives, visa, bars, Police and Bangkok. NOT murder of other persons because of their lack of understanding of what could be wrong in Thailand. Advise for the next lovestuck, etc.....( I would use other comments after lovestuck but, not in this thread.)

But, for the grace of God, It could have been me! you or you!

• 4 months later...
She noted as we drove to the farm the number of Big grand houses that were going up! These are next to the standard Thai houses, tin huts etc.

Why, is it that the farang come throw their money into building such worthless houses in the small villages?

Because noone will buy them later!

Why will they not build a nice house, you only need some things such has a bedroom or two, a kitchen, living room, and bathroom!

Whilst living happily in what you describe above, (plus garage and dog kennel) and finding myself in total agreement with what you say, I want to add that in the area where I live, the ostentatious "over the top" homes are often (not always) built - yes - with fahrang money, but under the omnipotent direction of the 'Mia Thai', dripping in gold (perhaps with fag in ringed fingered hand) to show off her trophy fahrang. We cross the street to avoid the (sadly) increasing number of them. I'm sure your district has a share of the 'type' I mean too!

My wife and I were having a chat about the number of farang moving up here to Phetchabun and around the area of the murder.

She noted as we drove to the farm the number of Big grand houses that were going up! These are next to the standard Thai houses, tin huts etc.

My wife stated it is sad to see. 'cause it will cause problems later!

Why, is it that the farang come throw their money into building such worthless houses in the small villages?

Because noone will buy them later!

Why will they not build a nice house, you only need some things such has a bedroom or two, a kitchen, living room, and bathroom!

She know some who refuse to allow Thai g/f's friends in the house. ignore their neighbours and generally act like the lord of the village.

The other women of the village now want a farang wth big money, car etc., and refuse to go with Thai men.

So what do you think she means 'problems in the future?'

Could it be more deaths, by taking their land and their women?

Should we not try to become part of the village? Should we think more about how and what you build in a village?

Perhaps like teachers in the future, should those of us who want to live here, take a course on Thai ways and understanding before being allowed to do what we want?

I have lived here over 5 years and it amazes me what some farang act like? and I am not just talking about their drinking habits, and their attitude towards women!

I think these comments move slightly away from the topic but I can understand that, given your personal knowledge of the deceased and the area, you would keep the connection.

I am a bit concerned that people may link your above comments with the death of Mr Chandler but, as I understand it, the murder suspect was a "mentally unstable brother of his g/f". I think we should be clear about that because your wife's comment about "problems in the future" infer that Thai jealousy might lead to murder.

I think your comments are extremely valid and I would agree that Falangs should be sensitive to their surroundings - especially when moving into the villages. I also have seen houses that would look more suited to Berkshire than Thailand and many of these look like carbuncles.

However, not everyone wishes (or is able) to embrace the Thai way of life as fully as you. In a civilised world foreigners should be able to live side by side with natives and enjoy freedom and peace. Equally, as guests of a country they must have respect for the culture and traditions of that country. You don't have to be a Thai wannabee to do that.

Your wife's comment (which I do not disagree with) belong to a distant time when any newcomer was viewed with suspicion and loathing. The jealousy that you refer to is reminiscent of the British local men's view of Americans stationed in local towns - their money and gifts of chocolate and stockings etc certainly bought the attention of local girls (not too different to some Falangs in Thailand).

However, many Thai girls are very happy to achieve 'face' by getting their boyfriends to take them back to the village in a Fortuner rather a vios and spend money on feeding and watering the locals.

The balance is not easy and the respective comments perhaps highlight the extent of the differences in culture rather than any similarities. In my view Falangs need to show a greater degree of respect and understanding of their hosts whilst Thailand will remain a third world country if savage behaviour, corruption, deceit etc, etc is remains tolerated. Remember, the love of money is the root of all evil.

Edited by Chaimai

Makes perfect sense to me and I've wondered the same at times. Swear I haven't touched a drop either. :o

A bit off/on topic but I can see how some of these incidents can happen for the most senseless of reasons + bad timing + bad luck + cultural friction.... as I witnessed an incident that could have escalated into something simular on Pratumnak Hill here in Pattaya today. Was coming out of 7-11, and saw a fellow I know illegally parked/with hazzard lights blocking one lane of traffic at the 7-11 intersection on Soi 4 (presumably waiting to pick up someone, or perhaps waiting for food from a nearby restaurant).

Some farang on his motorcycle rides by and stops at the stop sign near this fellow and shakes his head and says "I can't believe it" (referring to the blatant traffic violation) The Thai dude replies in English "believe it." the Thai fellow laughs and yells out 'go F*** yourself' with a Brit accent, and the farang rides off, the Thai guy waving for him to come back. Kinda funny to hear. I happen to know (not friends or anything, just acquainences through family) this fellow, inter-Thai like myself, but born and raised in the UK (instead of USA). His family, like many older Pattaya families, owns a lot of local real estate and hand in hand is connected enough not to have to worry about tiffs with "little people" like many random locals or foreigners.

A silly situation that could have gotten out of hand, with folks back home somewhere (and certainly sometimes with locals dying as well) wondering why their family member died via knife or gunshot because someone was double parked or because someone made a snide comment.

:o

Edited by Heng