British Man Murdered in Petchabun

funfun

Thai police probe death of North-East man

MURDER squad detectives in Thailand have launched an investigation into the death of a North-East man.

Ivor Chandler, of Skelton, East Cleveland, was found dead in the Phetchabun region of Thailand on Thursday.

Mr Chandler, who was in his mid-50s, had been in the country visiting his girlfriend.

advertisement

The retired ICI worker had been flying out to Thailand on a regular basis for more than four years and last went out there in January.

His shocked cousin from Middlesbrough, who is also called Ivor Chandler, said he found out about his cousin's death only on Sunday when Mr Chandler's sister called to say she was flying out there to find out what had happened.

He said: "He was always flitting off to Thailand. I know he had been going out there a good few years. Then all of a sudden this happened."

He said his cousin had lived alone for years but often visited him in between his trips to Thailand.

"We became closer when his mum died a few years ago. He's a quiet sort of person who retired due to ill health.

"He always seemed quiet enough and was not the type to go out looking for trouble."

He said his cousin had always loved travelling and had got to know a woman out in Thailand.

"He was always going to see his uncle in America and going to Thailand.

"He used to take all his favourite little nibbles and things with him. He used to take enough back to last him.

"He used to upgrade to business class because he travelled so much."

He said Thailand police are questioning a man in connection with the death.

"That's all I know," he said. "We don't even know what the motive was."

A Foreign Office spokesman said today: "We are aware of the death of a British national in Phetchabun. We are providing consular support to the family and the Thai police are investigating the death. We have no more details surrounding the death at the moment."

11:19am today

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-9005-1205279567_thumb.png

Thai police probe UK man's death

Police in Thailand are investigating the death of a Teesside man, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

The body of Ivor Chandler from Skelton, near Saltburn, was found on 6 March in the northern Phetchabun province.

The retired ICI worker, aged in his 50s, made regular trips to Thailand to visit his girlfriend who lives in the country, according to his family.

The circumstances surrounding his death are being treated as suspicious by the Thai authorities.

Mr Chandler's cousin, also called Ivor Chandler, said family members had flown out to Thailand in an attempt to find out what had happened.

He said: "He was always flitting off to Thailand.

"I know he had been going out there a good few years. Then all of a sudden this happened.

"He always seemed quiet enough and was not the type to go out looking for trouble."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of the death of a British national in Phetchabun.

"We are providing consular support to the family and the Thai police are investigating the death.

"We have no more details surrounding the death at the moment."

- BBC

===============================================================================

Thai police probe death

Murder squad detectives in Thailand have launched an investigation into the death of a North-East man. Ivor Chandler, of Skelton, East Cleveland, was found dead in the Phetchabun region of Thailand on Thursday.

Mr Chandler, who was in his mid-50s, had been in the country visiting his girlfriend. The retired ICI worker had been flying out to Thailand on a regular basis for more than four years and last went out there in January.

His shocked cousin from Middlesbrough, who is also called Ivor Chandler, said he found out about his cousin's death only on Sunday when Mr Chandler's sister called to say she was flying out there to find out what had happened.

He said: "He was always flitting off to Thailand. I know he had been going out there a good few years. Then all of a sudden this happened." He said his cousin had lived alone for years but often visited him in between his trips to Thailand. "We became closer when his mum died a few years ago. He's a quiet sort of person who retired due to ill health.

"He always seemed quiet enough and was not the type to go out looking for trouble." He said his cousin had always loved travelling and had got to know a woman out in Thailand. "He was always going to see his uncle in America and going to Thailand. He used to take all his favourite little nibbles and things with him. He used to take enough back to last him. He used to upgrade to business class because he travelled so much."

He said Thailand police are questioning a man in connection with the death. "That's all I know," he said. "We don't even know what the motive was."

A Foreign Office spokesman said today: "We are aware of the death of a British national in Phetchabun. We are providing consular support to the family and the Thai police are investigating the death. We have no more details surrounding the death at the moment."

The Northern Echo (UK)

================================================================================

Brit tourist found dead in Thailand

A British man who flew out to Thailand to visit his girlfriend has been found dead.

Detectives have launched a murder inquiry after the body of Ivor Chandler, who was in his mid-50s, was discovered.

The retired ICI worker had been flying out regularly to the popular holiday destination for more than four years, and last visited in January.

His shocked cousin - also called Ivor Chandler - said: "He's a quiet person who retired due to ill health. He was not the type to go looking for trouble."

He said Thai police are questioning a man, adding: "That's all I know. We don't even know what the motive was."

Mr Chandler, who had lived alone for years in Skelton, Teesside, was found in the northern region of Phetchabun on Thursday.

A Foreign Office spokesman yesterday confirmed that Thai police were investigating, but had no further details.

- The Mirror (UK)

Family still in the dark over Skelton man's death in Thailand

RELATIVES of a Teesside man who died in suspicious circumstances in Thailand are still in the dark today as to how he met his death.

As reported yesterday, murder squad detectives in Thailand launched an investigation into the death of Ivor Chandler, of Skelton, who had been in the country visiting his girlfriend.

Relatives, including his cousin, also called Ivor Chandler, from Middlesbrough, were devastated to hear the tragic news.

He said Thailand police are questioning a man in connection with the death. But today he said: “I am still very much in the dark.

“I have heard nothing more than I was told on Saturday - and that includes from the Foreign Office and British Embassy. The family still doesn’t know the circumstances of how he died.

“Family members have flown out to Thailand and I am expecting to hear from them very soon.”

Neighbours in Skelton were shocked to hear of the death of the former ICI worker, who they said was a good, friendly neighbour. Mr Chandler, who was in his mid-50s, was found dead in the Phetchabun region of Thailand on Thursday.

The Foreign Office last night confirmed the police are investigating the death and that they are providing consular support for the family.

Mr Chandler had been flying out to Thailand on a regular basis for more than four years relatives said and last went out there in January.

At least 17 Britons have been murdered in Thailand since 2003.

- Gazette Live (UK)

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the victim. I hope the full story is soon known and the perpetrator is brought to justice--or receives the psychiatric care he needs, if tht is his problem.

Seems very quiet on this topic.

A pattern of silence seems to be developing regarding murders of foreigners in Thailand. The authorities do not make any details public. The local (English language) press don't report anything. After a week or two, something emerges in the Teesside Chronicle or the Reno Reporter back home.

No agreed nothing in press in Britain as far as I know. However the incident was mentioned on world wide web. With

the apparent reduction of tourism numbers in some parts of Thailand this year people may be getting wise to the

spriralling dangers this country, in my opinion, imposes on the unwary, or even wary tourist.

Seems very quiet on this topic.

A pattern of silence seems to be developing regarding murders of foreigners in Thailand. The authorities do not make any details public. The local (English language) press don't report anything. After a week or two, something emerges in the Teesside Chronicle or the Reno Reporter back home.

transparent.gif

// empty.gif

RSS News for you | What's this?

<h3 class="list-head-colour"> HomeNewsLocal News</h3>

Thai murder squad probe East Cleveland man’s death

Mar 11 2008 by Marie Levy, Evening Gazette

9D591680-D2EF-C690-9D14ACD2F0B77329.jpg MURDER squad detectives in Thailand have launched an investigation into the death of a man from East Cleveland.

Ivor Chandler, of Skelton, was found dead in the Phetchabun region of Thailand on Thursday.

Mr Chandler, who was in his mid-fifties, had been in the country visiting his girlfriend.

The retired ICI worker had been flying out to Thailand on a regular basis for more than four years and last went out there in January.

Today his shocked cousin from Middlesbrough, who is also called Ivor Chandler, told the Gazette he found out about his cousin’s death only on Sunday when Mr Chandler’s sister called to say she was flying out there to find out what had happened.

He said: “He was always flitting off to Thailand. I know he had been going out there a good few years. Then all of a sudden this happened.”

He said his cousin had lived alone for years but often visited him in between his trips to Thailand.

“We became closer when his mum died a few years ago. He’s a quiet sort of person who retired due to ill health.

“He always seemed quiet enough and was not the type to go out looking for trouble.”

He said his cousin had always loved travelling and had got to know a woman out in Thailand.

“He was always going to see his uncle in America and going to Thailand. He used to take all his favourite little nibbles and things with him. He used to take enough back to last him.

“He used to upgrade to business class because he travelled so much.”

He said Thailand police are questioning a man in connection with the death.

“That’s all I know,” he said. “We don’t even know what the motive was.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said today: “We are aware of the death of a British national in Phetchabun. We are providing consular support to the family and the Thai police are investigating the death. We have no more details surrounding the death at the moment.”

Mr Chandler lived on his own in a semi-detached bungalow in a quiet street close to Skelton town centre.

Neighbours were shocked today when told of his death.

They described him as a quiet but friendly man who had lived there for ten to 15 years and kept himself to himself.

One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “If he’s been murdered, that’s very shocking indeed. I’m stunned. The whole street will be very shocked and upset about this.”

Another added: “If it’s the guy I’m thinking of, he’s lived here for several years and kept himself to himself. It would shock me if he’s been murdered. He was always mild mannered, even tempered and polite.”

Another said: “He has always been a good neighbour. This is very shocking for everyone.”

If I knew the girlfriend's brother had mental problems, the last thing I'd do is hang around the family home. Better to whisk her off to some tourist destination then give her the fare home. I had an Aussie friend who was threatened by his GF's brother whilst living in the family home in Bkk. Not uncommon. And false economy to live this way, in my opinion.

(Encephalitis-inducing) Vaccinations + poor diet in Thailand (insufficient raw fats to nurture the brain) + ('therapeutic') medications + possible substance abuse = dangerous psychotic behaviour.

http://vitalvotes.com/blogs/public_blog/Gu...ects-51356.aspx

Sorry for the victim's family that he was viewing his situation there through rose-tinted spectacles.

iI knew Ivor well he use to stop in the beach view pattaya soi 2 he was a gentleman who loved thai life and culture.The person who has done this must pay my thoughts are with his family in the uk and i will not forget the time he gave me a home made thai/english translation sheet he made himself.RIP.

Hi all,

I have moved the discussion regarding Thailand being dangerous for Brits to travel to into the general section.

Let's show some thought for any family members that may be reading this and keep the discussion on topic and respectful.

Thanks

Totster :o

Hi all,

I have moved the discussion regarding Thailand being dangerous for Brits to travel to into the general section.

Let's show some thought for any family members that may be reading this and keep the discussion on topic and respectful.

Thanks

Totster :o

THANKYOU. ITS VERY CONSIDERATE OF YOU.

The info I have, and cannot be confirmed is.....

The incident occured at the gf's home after he went to bed following his flight to LOS to sleep off his jetlag.

The village where his GF lives is Ban khok about 10 kilos east of Phetchabun city. The brother is the retarded and brother is the suspect in this case, apparently while the deceased was sleeping he hit him over the head with something and took his money that he had brought for his stay in Thailand.

RIP.

...and now this...

Swedish Woman Found Dead on Thai Beach

Saturday, March 15, 2008

BANGKOK, Thailand — A Swedish tourist was found dead Saturday on a beach in Thailand, police said.

The woman was identified as a 27-year-old who had been visiting the island of Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, with two friends, police Lt. Gen. Sakchai Limcharoen.

One of the woman's travel companions discovered her body midday Saturday near the bungalow they had rented, Sakchai said.

She appeared to have been attacked with sharp objects, Sakchai said. Police were investigating the attack.

The Swedish Embassy was closed for the weekend and could not immediately be reached for comment.

I often wonder what happens to the perpetrators of all these murders of farangs.

On the rare occasion there is publicity, the alleged perp is often arrested - then you generally hear nothing more.

For example the Welsh girl murdered on Samui maybe 3 years ago: Thaksin called for her killers to be executed...then I never read anything more. Were they even convicted?

There was an Englishman named Keith murdered in Chiang Mai by his wife's family about 4 years ago. The police announced they couldn't make any arrests because there were two suspects. (Sic.) I think that one just got forgotten.

And what about the very rich Englishman murdered a year or 2 ago (misdescribed an an aristocrat in early reports) - again apparently by the wife & her family. What happened to the murderers, anyone know?

some of the above is finally confirmed....

ivorchandler.jpg

First picture of Thai murder victim

(Mar 20 2008 Evening Gazette)

This is the face of Ivor Chandler, the Teesside man brutally murdered in a machete attack in Thailand. The “kind and caring” former ICI worker is pictured celebrating a family wedding in Canada.

Mr Chandler, who was in his mid-fifties and lived in Skelton, was due to visit his Canadian relatives again this year. But tragically his life was taken away in a senseless attack by a machete-wielding man earlier this month.

Relatives in Canada have spoken to the Gazette of their horror and disbelief at his death.

• For the full story see tonight’s Evening Gazette or gazettelive.co.uk later.

I often wonder what happens to the perpetrators of all these murders of farangs.

On the rare occasion there is publicity, the alleged perp is often arrested - then you generally hear nothing more.

For example the Welsh girl murdered on Samui maybe 3 years ago: Thaksin called for her killers to be executed...then I never read anything more. Were they even convicted?

There was an Englishman named Keith murdered in Chiang Mai by his wife's family about 4 years ago. The police announced they couldn't make any arrests because there were two suspects. (Sic.) I think that one just got forgotten.

And what about the very rich Englishman murdered a year or 2 ago (misdescribed an an aristocrat in early reports) - again apparently by the wife & her family. What happened to the murderers, anyone know?

While I agree that we should stay on topic, I think it IS relevant to raise the subject of older, comparable tragedies which have never seen anyone brought to justice. Hopefully this one is more straightforward.

You speak of Keith Tate, a Freeman of the City of London who was murdered here in Chiang Mai, we (expats) assume by a Thai man clearly described who had been asking for him in some of his favourite haunts. Even describing the car he drove. Not enough, despite strong motives within part of the extended and wealthy Thai family, for 'investigations' here to bear any fruit. RIP a pleasant and popular man.

Same-same Kirsty Jones. RIP a 20 year old backpacker from Wales who was far too trusting and chose to stay in a one-pound-a-night flea-pit guest house with no security. Plus others of other nationalities, other circumstances. All in one small city within a decade. Cause for thought, huh?