Indian Tourist Murdered at Full Moon Party

baco

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the amount of alcohol that is consumed in Thailand - I am surprised there is NOT more visible violence. Sure, you see drunken foreigners in tourist areas (like Pattaya) but the Thais seem to hold their liquor quite well, and then fall asleep.

Peter

Given the amount of alcohol that is consumed in Thailand - I am surprised there is NOT more visible violence. Sure, you see drunken foreigners in tourist areas (like Pattaya) but the Thais seem to hold their liquor quite well, and then fall asleep.

Peter

Sadly not true, the morlam concerts in our village were cancelled because of stupid fights between drunk teenagers.

And this story tells the same tale. I read the article in the Thai press about the surrender of the suspect in this case and the policeman in charge said at least 10 Thai local teenagers were involved in the brawl.

Future Full Moon parties would see stepped-up security, he said, because more and more Thai revellers were attending and he feared a repetition of further violence.

Full Moon Party? Who really, seriously gives a toss anymore. Sooner it's shut down the sooner we can get on with a bit of normality and flush all the baddies off the island.

agreed, the full moon party is an embarassment

i agree its been like that for the last few years ,full of idiots the only time i ever go there is when the full moon is over its to normality then lovely peace and quiet . bliss

Choochart played down the recent killings, saying, "I believe security in Thailand is better than in many other countries." He also said that some of the attacks were occasioned by the behavior of the women themselves. Under a front-page photograph of a Western woman in a skimpy bikini, The Bangkok Post quoted Choochart as saying, "They tend to choose a quiet spot away from other people, take off the bikini and sunbathe. That's when the attackers strike."

Choochart is of course 100% correct, Thailand's security is better than many other countries - Burma, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia; to name but four.

Can't believe to read such nonsense....and also SAD to read you agree with this nut head Choochart, speaking such awful words after a completely innocent girl was murdered.

And, you compare Burma, Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia with Thailand ? :o Do these countries also attract 14 Million tourists every year ?

Shame on you.

LaoPo

LaoPo, you have totally missed the point of my post. Do you really think I was being genuinely serious in my comparisons? Have you never hear of satire?

LaoPo -- and many others -- have missed this same point in the last four or five threads with regard to crimes against tourists.

Even though his views are often spot-on, at least with regard to the crimes described here, thinking on Thai Visa has very often been sadly one-dimensional (even with threads from moderators to ban posters who disagree with this particular view).

The thought that somebody can behave carefully to not attract crime while at the same time this does still put full responsibility (or 'blame') on the perpetrator seems to be too multi-dimensional an approach for Thai Visa.

Shame on you, harsh words indeed.

the alleged killer has turned from 14 y/o to 24 y/o...

Interesting twist to the unfolding story... who else thinks it is (not!) weird that the police quickly "solves the case" by arresting an under-age teenager -- who cannot be charged to the same extend and did not even come from Phangan by what I read here...

Just come back after three months ,I/we also broke up a figh what was between thai girls it was pretty nasty bottels knifes etc..three of the girls would of been killed i am sure if we did not step in & put us in a bad situation

the "security" we're not the best & as for the police what a load of mugs the police must off been called who know's how many times saying be there in a minute etc but never turned up after we waited up 2hours having to stop this fight & get the girls out of there as the "gang" was waiting for them & carried on attacking them....

the police really want to sort it out & more security in the bars they must have the money to pay for this.

to be honest mate i would never get in the way of thai girsl fighting ,they are more ferious than thai men DO NOT GO NEAR THEM NUTTERS :o

i don't know why anybody wants to break up fights when it is none of the septaters business. who knows why the people are fighting. if u want to break up a fights then don't be suprised if u become the focus of thier attension. best thing to do is sit back and watch unless it is one of your friends or family memebrs involved. too many wanna be heros. alot of wanna be heros dead!

Bear in mind that it was a child (teenager) being savagely attacked.

As to why anybody would want to risk their life to stop a murder (especially a murder of a youngster, or one wher the victim was clearly out-numered): some people would find it hard living with themselves if they just stood by did need nothing while a helpless person was killed. Some people would find that immoral. Evidentally not most of the people who have posted on this thread thus far, but I wonder to what extent people who fee the need to denounce a Godd Samaritan are motivated by the knowledge thatthey persoally don't have the courage.

Some people realize tht they are goig to die someday, and care more about having lived a decent, moral life than when that someday is.

From the sounds of this, it was not (or became not) a free fight among equals. However it started, it became a brutal attempt (ultimately successful) to kill..repeated slashing of a young boy.

Personally, I think this man did the right thing in trying to intervene to save the boy. Not the thing in his own personal best interest, but the morally right thing. I readily admit that I don't kowif I wouldhave had the courage in his shoes...but I do kow tat if I didn't, I'd be haunted by it afterwards.

He died duing the right thing, in a sitation where doing te right thing was very dangerous and few would have had the courage. his family should take comfort in that, and the people on this forum -- irrespective of whether they would persoally have the courage to do thesame -- should honor that.

Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I think this man did the right thing in trying to intervene to save the boy. Not the thing in his own personal best interest, but the morally right thing. I readily admit that I don't kowif I wouldhave had the courage in his shoes...but I do kow tat if I didn't, I'd be haunted by it afterwards.

He died duing the right thing, in a sitation where doing te right thing was very dangerous and few would have had the courage. his family should take comfort in that, and the people on this forum -- irrespective of whether they would persoally have the courage to do thesame -- should honor that.

I agree with this post 100%. Sometimes -- even in Thailand -- it is right to step in, without regard for personal danger. Kids attacked by a whole mob would be such a situation.

Shame on the police for arresting one of the attacked underage boys as actual perpetrator of the murder, if that is how the facts come out now.

I agree with this post 100%. Sometimes -- even in Thailand -- it is right to step in, without regard for personal danger. Kids attacked by a whole mob would be such a situation.

Shame on the police for arresting one of the attacked underage boys as actual perpetrator of the murder, if that is how the facts come out now.

I used to think the same thing... Nowdays i'd turn round and walk in the opposite direction.

From what I understand, he was trying to break up a fight and got in the middle, the other two parties did not die, is what I have been told. And, according to the news article, he was Indian, not Swedish.

Not died, but critically injured...

and the suspected killer of the Indian tourist.... is 14.... :o:D

Provincial Police Region 8 Track down Full-Moon Party Killer

The commander of Provincial Policed Region 8 traveled to Pa Ngan Island to interrogate the teen-aged suspect allegedly involved in the stabbing of a foreign tourist during a fight at the famed full-moon party.

Police Lieutenant General Thanee Tawitsee, commander of Provincial Police Region 8, traveled by helicopter to Pa Ngan Island yesterday evening to interrogate a suspect, allegedly involved in the stabbing of a foreign tourist.

The suspect is a 14-year-old boy and he is arrested for taking part in a fight during a full moon party at Haad Rin.

The boy is suspected of having stabbed 24-year-old Chetan Dadhwal with a hand metal scraper. Dadhwal was an Indian national who tried to break up the fight and was then stabbed. He later died while being hospitalized at Bann Don Inter Samui Hospital.

The suspect denied all charges despite evidence found by police and witnesses who identified him as the culprit. He has been charged with causing a disturbance which resulted in the death of others and is in custody.

The 15-year-old victim who Dadhwal was trying to help was reportedly stabbed four times with the hand scraper as well. His condition is still critical and he remains under close medical observation.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

Goodness that's terrible. It's so sad that humans will do such things to one another.

I used to think the same thing... Nowdays i'd turn round and walk in the opposite direction.

I fully agree. It is too dangerous to get involved here. I once saw a woman fall off her bike on the side of the road and it tore me up inside to drive past. I felt so ashamed and helpess knowing that I could not do anything, and if I did help in anyway I could possibly be liable for anything and everything from that point on.

This is where we chose to live and like it or not there are different rules here. Sorry to say I am not surprised the "mob" turned on him. This is Thailand and I have yet to see a one on one fight except in the ring. I compare it to a feeding frenzy; when there is a fight and Thais are involved it is a full on "mob" mentality and they will do anything to win.

LESSON: Never, never interfere in a fight that in no way concerns you.

It's a rule that I would have thought anyone with any sense would already know.

I will say: Never, never interfere in a fight, even if it concerns you.

And about to interfere in a fight between thais, no no and no. I will never jump in the enraged monkey cage.

Three tips to make the Full Moon parties safer:

- No alcohol during the party (this should not be too dificult to enforce. The island is not that big)

- No amphetanimes (check all the boats that bring tourists and locals to the island for the party. This should take only a few dozens policemen and sniffer dogs)

- Tolerate the consumption of weed during the party (who wants to fight after a number ?)

There should not be a single murder after that.

My condoleances to the victims' families.

Most Thai teenagers esp. from working class backgrounds are known to be notoriously aggressive and of a gang-oriented mentality.

This is the root of the problem.

For any establishment on a beach, be it a club,bar or temporary tent, rights of admission should be strictly reserved, 20+ like in Bangkok.

Easier said than done, but it'll surely minimize the risk of casualties such as this.

I certainly wouldn't ban the consumption of alcohol (too extreme) but certainly put a cap on the consumption.

Last but not the least, better screening of the trash (both Thai & Farang)

Most Thai teenagers esp. from working class backgrounds are known to be notoriously aggressive and of a gang-oriented mentality.

Has it been said what background the suspect comes from? Have you read any news lately of the things that kids with upper class backgrounds have been up to lately?

Edited by pickel

Has it been said what background the suspect comes from? Have you read any news lately of the things that kids with upper class backgrounds have been up to lately?

the Daily News said he worked on a rubber plantation.The suspect himself said he had gone to the party equipped with a knife and after the fight with the Indian he checked in to a hospital in Surat for treatment to a nose injury. When that cleared up he gave himself up to the police when he heard they were looking for him.

You want to try England if you want to meet aggressive teenagers. Most Thai teenagers are pussycats compared to UK working class youths.

Three tips to make the Full Moon parties safer:

- No alcohol during the party (this should not be too dificult to enforce. The island is not that big)

- No amphetanimes (check all the boats that bring tourists and locals to the island for the party. This should take only a few dozens policemen and sniffer dogs)

- Tolerate the consumption of weed during the party (who wants to fight after a number ?)

There should not be a single murder after that.

My condoleances to the victims' families.

One tip to make full moon parties safer - ban them & enforce it! :o

Well perhaps we should ban Pattaya too, lot more foreigners murdered there than at Koh Phangan.

I'm not just referring to the murders - for a large number of patrons, the whole point of Full Moon Parties is to take illicit drugs and get stoned. It's a scene that's never interested me & I don't profess to be any kind of expert on such matters.

Well perhaps we should ban Pattaya too, lot more foreigners murdered there than at Koh Phangan.

I'm not just referring to the murders - for a large number of patrons, the whole point of Full Moon Parties is to take illicit drugs and get stoned. It's a scene that's never interested me & I don't profess to be any kind of expert on such matters.

Whole point of going to Koh Phangan isn't it? :o

Too be fair though, from what I have seen of the full moon parties it's mainly about the drinking, there's really not a lot of very good quality drugs (compared to other big party destinations) available so a lot of people avoid them.

And once again, its usually the booze that causes the trouble.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE... the killers were sentenced to 1 year imprisonments and will be released soon...

Attacks not in Australia alone, says grieving father

Pune, India: Lt Col Dadhwal, whose son was murdered in Thailand, is not happy with the one-year jail term for killers.

“It is not just Australia, Indians are insecure in other countries, too,” says Lt Col Subhash Dadhwal, now posted in Pune. Dadhwal’s son Chetan (25), who was doing an MBA in New Zealand, was murdered by some youth during a party in Thailand on March 21, 2008.

Chetan, who was on his way to New Zealand after attending his sister’s wedding in India, had a stopover at Koh Phangan, an island in southeast Thailand that is a backpackers’ favourite, also known for its ‘full-moon’ parties.

The legal machinery in Thailand swung into action soon enough; but the three youths who confessed to the crime were sentenced to only one-year imprisonment.

A grieving Dadhwal is fighting to ensure a stricter punishment.

“It hurts a lot. We have lost our only son and the assailants, even after confessing to the crime, would be free soon."

"We are not satisfied with the punishment,” says Dadhwal.

Dadhwal has alleged that his son was not given immediate medical aid that could have possibly saved his life. “Every week I call up the authorities at the Embassy of Thailand in India to know the status of the case. But I get an unsatisfactory reply every time,” he says.

When The Indian Express contacted Laksanavadee Kaewkramol, Consul, Royal Thai Consulate-General in Mumbai to know the current status of the case, she said, “I am aware of the murder case. But I don’t have any information right now. I can get the details and let you know in the next month.”

Dadhwal has some reports that appeared in the media in Thailand, saying that a group of Thai youths stabbed Chetan when he tried to break up a fight at the party. A media report also says a Thai man, Thani Rakkapao, was charged with “unintentional murder” after he admitted to having stabbed Chetan in self-defence. As per the news report, Rakkapao said he stabbed a man who smashed a beer bottle on his face when a fight broke out at the party.

The Embassy of Thailand wrote to Dadhwal on December 18 that six youths have been arrested in the case. “It was stated that three youths who confessed were sentenced to one-year imprisonment, one youth who denied his involvement in the murder is in police custody and the case of minors involved was transferred to the department of juvenile justice,” Dadhwal said.

Dadhwal and his wife recalled the happy days that Chetan had spent in Pune before everything fell apart.

“Chetan came to Pune in March 2008 to attend his sister’s wedding. Earlier, he used to go to New Zealand via Singapore. But this time he decided to go via Thailand. He made a halt at Thailand for sightseeing. And then we heard that he had been murdered while attending a party,” said Dadhwal.

“I went to Thailand and contacted the police officials to carry out a proper investigation. I also sought help from the Defence Ministry of India. Defence Minister A K Antony had requested the then external affairs minister Pranab Mukherjee for assistance to be given to me. I will keep fighting the case until I am satisfied with the punishment given to the killers,” Dadhwal said.

Advocate Asim Sarode, a human rights activist from Pune, said the attacks on Indians are happening in various countries, not just Australia alone. “There are various reasons behind the attacks. A proper plan has to be put in place by the Indian government to tackle the issue,” he said.

- Indian Express / 2009-06-09

============================================================================

Note: The article's headline is in reference to a recent series of attacks on Indians in Australia.

Edited by sriracha john

message to parents:

keep allowing your kids to watch videos (and play video games) depicting extreme violence, and don't be surprised when those kids grow up to act it out.

The man who died trying to break up the fight, should be given a medal for bravery (given to his family), but his action should also serve as a warning to would-be heroes. 'Discretion is the better part of valor' meaning: assess the whole situation as well as possible, before acting. If the rumblers are too drug crazed (usually alcohol-fueled) or too violent - don't jump in the fray. Also, it would help to have someone watch your back.

Now we hear the killers were given pitifully light sentences of 1 year each. No doubt because they were local boys with excuses. Message to future killers: go ahead and do your worst, because even if you're caught and found guilty, Thai authorities will let you off easy. ....and you can be out in a year or less, allowed to get as drunk and violent as you want all over again.

message to parents:

keep allowing your kids to watch videos (and play video games) depicting extreme violence, and don't be surprised when those kids grow up to act it out.

I never read so much crap in my life, i watched those kind of movies played games. Many of my friends did so far none of them turned out to be a mass murderer. There have always been violent crimes but there have not always been movies and video games.

Guys like you make me so tired, there is not a shred of evidence for these wacko theories. Of course a youth would say they were inspired by things they have seen, good to shift the blame.

Normal people know the difference between a game a movie and reality. Violence is something that comes natural to us i don't need to see a movie to know how i beat someone up. I might be a bit more effective after i have seen a movie but it isnt the cause of the violence. It all depends on how you are raised.

Well, I guess life really is cheap in Thailand and apparently if your from some ethnic/national groups it is even valued less.

Very sad and my thoughts are with the parents, who have to endure some further hurt.