New Taxi Cabs Appearing In Pattaya

khunyae

I think a more appropriate argument should be that they should remove the meters and have a zone pricing. It is a big rip off scam by the baht bus taxi's to convince the authorities that we do have meter taxis here in Pattaya so they are justified in not allowing the meter taxis from BKK to pick up passengers her in Pattaya. They have been fighting for this right for years and the Mafia has successfully fought them.

I cant understand why they do this ?

I'll visit Pattaya in June and will never use a taxiservice owned by the mafia. 50 Baht is fine for a short distance but 200 ?

Anyway Im happy with the 10 Baht transportation. :o

I wonder why some posters on here always bring up the cost of things in the West when someone talks about pricing in Thailand.

This is not a Western country.

Actually for those idiots on here who keep saying that you pay more in the West so dont complain about prices ,actually on some items such as Tuna,dishwashing liquid,i pay less in a large supermarket in Australia,so dont ridicule people who complain about prices in Thailand.

This is not the West,we dont need to pay western prices,these are not UK Cabs.Dont compare it.

If you want to pay the cab driver western prices and UK cash money,but i wont be whilst im in Thailand,i will pay Thai prices.

Report are they don't use the meters. The last time I tried, I asked 3 of 4 the same day to use the meter. None did. Any more recent reports? They have signage that says TAXI METER and they have spanking new working meters, but it is all a show. The taxis are OWNED by the baht bus MAFIA. Get the picture now?

Thanks for that. I must admit that I suspected as much. But no, I told myself, don't be so negative. These nice people in Pattaya City Council are looking out for our welfare, and to upgrade services that are offered here in Pattaya to our new sophisticated visitors... Ha Ha. I should know better than to be so silly.

If the nice people at pattaya city hall wanted market forces to be introduced to the public transport system they would allow more companies to setup real meter taxi services that use the meter. :o This will not be allowed for a longtime as long as the pattaya baht bus mafia run things in this city :D I say vote with your feet & wallet DON'T USE THE MAFIA NON METERED TAXI.

If the nice people at pattaya city hall wanted market forces to be introduced to the public transport system they would allow more companies to setup real meter taxi services that use the meter. :o This will not be allowed for a longtime as long as the pattaya baht bus mafia run things in this city :D I say vote with your feet & wallet DON'T USE THE MAFIA NON METERED TAXI.

I agree except for this caveat.

If you want a taxi ride and you see a Pattaya taxi, talk to them. State your destination, then after they quote you the outrageous MAFIA fare, ask them to use the meter (pointing both to the METER sign on the top of their car and the actual meters they have installed). When they refuse, walk away. If they agree, take the taxi. Let them know what we want, punish with a boycott when they usually say no, reward if they say yes.

I agree except for this caveat.

If you want a taxi ride and you see a Pattaya taxi, talk to them. State your destination, then after they quote you the outrageous MAFIA fare, ask them to use the meter (pointing both to the METER sign on the top of their car and the actual meters they have installed). When they refuse, walk away. If they agree, take the taxi. Let them know what we want, punish with a boycott when they usually say no, reward if they say yes.

Yes, I agree with that. I would never ride in a "taxi" that refused to use the meter. I would not do that in other countries, and I would not do it here.

I think a more appropriate argument should be that they should remove the meters and have a zone pricing. It is a big rip off scam by the baht bus taxi's to convince the authorities that we do have meter taxis here in Pattaya so they are justified in not allowing the meter taxis from BKK to pick up passengers her in Pattaya. They have been fighting for this right for years and the Mafia has successfully fought them.

Why would anyone need to justify that BKK taxis shouldn't pick up passengers in Pattaya?

It's pretty obvious that a BKK registered taxi cannot work in another zone.

This is not a Western country.

Actually for those idiots on here who keep saying that you pay more in the West so dont complain about prices ,actually on some items such as Tuna,dishwashing liquid,i pay less in a large supermarket in Australia,so dont ridicule people who complain about prices in Thailand.

You must be doing well. I pay more here than in Australia for many items in the supermarket.

Well last night i am waiting for a baht bus near the Jomtien complex around 2am and a pink taxi flashes its headlights at me and stops.

"Where you go?" says the driver thru the passenger window.

"Walking street",i replied

He grabs the calculator and punches in 250.

"ok " ok" he says pointing to the numbers on the calculator.

"no",i said,too expensive.

ok he says ,"200 ok",

"No" i said walking away waiting for a baht bus.

He then reverses his car down to where i walked,,"ok"ok,how much you pay."?

I ignored him and waited for a baht bus.

The point is ,he was very silly quoting such a high price,as he was going and did go towards walking street anyway and EMPTY.

I saw him up ahead of the baht bus constantly stopping to talk to people by the side of the road waiting for a baht bus but he had no luck.

Business commonsense would have told him that he s going that way anyway so he could of charged me 80 baht,stopped ahead for the two people up ahead and charged them 80 baht and he would have got paid something rather than nothing.

Yes i know he should of been using his meter.

If he was a pink taxi Actiondell4 then he's not a Pattaya taxi but a Bangkok taxi making an illegal pick up.

Maybe this is what we need, the Bangkok taxi boys to elbow in on the Pattaya boys. A little war can be a good thing, might attract some attention and perhaps improved regulation.

Actiondell4 - good for you in refusing.

I am not going to ride in any of these rip-off "taxis" as long as they are playing these games. I prefer to walk.

Im not so sure it was a BKK Taxi as i saw a yellow one too recently.

A lot of posters would say just pay it,but if you work it out,250 baht is about $10 australian from jomtien complex to day night,and a taxi in Australia for that distance would be either the same or less,i think a taxi in Australia would be about $7 to $8 for that distance..because there was no traffic.

So he in fact qouting me 250 baht for that distance is ludicrous,still,if he can get away with it,why not.

Im not so sure it was a BKK Taxi as i saw a yellow one too recently.

A lot of posters would say just pay it,but if you work it out,250 baht is about $10 australian from jomtien complex to day night,and a taxi in Australia for that distance would be either the same or less,i think a taxi in Australia would be about $7 to $8 for that distance..because there was no traffic.

So he in fact qouting me 250 baht for that distance is ludicrous,still,if he can get away with it,why not.

Pattaya taxis are two-tone, yellow above blue.

Yes, a lot would say just pay it. A lot would use the "cheap charlie" line for questioning it. A lot would say "go home if you don't like it here". A lot can be wrong.