Transfer Large Files Software Suggestions

JackFrost

You can place it in the share folder of your P2P program and name it someting strange.  Then just sent the files name to him.  with p2p do search and download.  This is what p2p programs are written for.

ps put it in a zip with password and name it wwwkkksundyyhfte.zip if someone does happen to download it it still locked.

Edited by RKASA

You can place it in the share folder of your P2P program and name it someting strange.  Then just sent the files name to him.  with p2p do search and download.  This is what p2p programs are written for.

ps put it in a zip with password and name it wwwkkksundyyhfte.zip if someone does happen to download it it still locked.

I do not fully understand.

Don't you have to make a torrent file and upload it somewhere ?

I know it is probably easy once you have done it, but I am not clear yet.

Thanks

No its not a torrent its a p2p program anything that is in the share folder can be found by anyone on the p2p network.  exp.  I have a mp3 or home vid that I made.  I place it in the share folder and tell someone what the name is anyone searching for the same name will also see it and can select to download it. which means my program will start sending to their requests.  google p2p for  p2p programs.  Its not bit torrents, but you could do that also it just works a little differantly.  If I download a file with my p2p and leave it in the folder others can continue to get parts from me kind of like the torrents.  If you want it a private file place a zip with pass and a strange name that nobody would search for.  It saves you from having to mess with making a server for fpt and things really its easy and vary usefull for other things like downloading Linux iso's.

When you say free software, are you considering Linux PCs, or just Windows? I'm not sure how much of my answer would apply to Windows... I never use that...

If you cannot use one of those file-drop services mentioned so far, the basic solution is to setup your own FTP server on one side and have the other use a client to move the file. I'd set up the server where the file originates, so the FTP "get" and "reget" commands can be used (in case the transfer fails before the whole file is moved).

However, this may be challenging to set up securely, since you have to enable port-forwarding and firewalls for FTP on the "server" PC on a typical home internet connection, etc.

A more secure solution is to setup an SSH/SFTP server, which only needs to forward one incoming SSH port from the NAT-router to the PC running the service. It's easier to configure the router than FTP, and harder to make it insecure by accident.

Between systems which both run Linux, I'd never hesitate to recommend using rsync over SSH for transfers like this. It is very efficient about using bandwidth, and very secure.

As was stated above the best speed that you can hope for will be limited by your (and the recipient's) internet connection really.

Why not set up a shared Gmail account, mail the file to the account and then let the recipient log in and retrieve the file. This solution has the advantages of being free and unless Google cancels the whole Gmail thing the file will always be there if it needs to be downloaded again.

Within many of the P2P applications like Limewire, Bearshare etc is a feature where you can enter the IP address of one particular host (ie the person with the images) and then download those images. This might be easier than learning to use FTP if you are not happy playing computers, (for want of a better expression without being condescending.)

This lovely web site will give some estimate of the time you can expect the transfer to take.

Remember, even though you both have (I assume) good ADSL data connections - the upload bandwidth will be limited to 256kpbs - 512kbps, so use the correct upload b/w in your estimates. (I guess about 4 hours.)

I suggest that you copy the contents of the CD to a separate folder on your hard disk before attempting to sent the files, it will be faster.

[ Are they just pictures? What are the file sizes of the pictures? Are the pictures just going to be viewed on the computer at the far end? High resolution images are typically +2meg for each image when taken on a digital camera. For viewing on a computer screen and small prints the files can be reduced in size by as much as 90% or more - if time or internet connection speed is an issue this might be worth exploring. ]

Thanks for the suggestions.

I decided on the torrent approach - got everything set up and was ready to go.

I then called my son who informed me he really didn't need the cd as fast as he thought - in fact he'd get back to me - still waiting - sheesh - kids.

Jack

Try Skype - that is a good point to point file transfer system.

Skype is ridiculously slow, as is sending via instant messenger (any kind).

Use the above mentioned filedropper, or send6.com...

Not necessarily. Provided both sides have done proper port forwarding for Skype it can be really quick. It uses a much more efficient file transfer protocol than MSN Messenger. A friend of mine shares files of 350-400 MB with another friend in Japan over Skype and gets transfer speeds of 30-60 kb/s.

But I would recommend another simple and completely free solution: HFS - HTTP file server, available for download http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=dl . Small program that is easy to use and set up, and to the person downloading it is really simple - like logging into a web page and then clicking on a link to download.

First, the person hosting the file downloads HFS. Then he creates a user account with a password for the downloader. The login details are then sent to the downloader, for example by email or as a text message on the phone.

The downloader opens his regular web browser, e.g. Firefox or Internet Explorer. In the address field, he just types the IP address of the person hosting the file (this can be checked easily by the file host visiting www.whatismyip.com ) .

If HFS is running on the host computer when the downloader types the IP address into the URL field in his browser, a login screen will appear. The downloader enters his account name and password, and then he will see the shared file as a link, clicks on it to download and then the transfer is away.

I would recommend that the downloader first installs some type of download manager that supports resumed transfers, because without that feature he will need to restart the download if the connection is broken. And with a 700 MB file that can be quite annoying and time-consuming.

Creating a torrent would work too, as would various other p2p programs. Direct Connect ( DC++ ) is one that is quite effective for transfer of large files, but setup takes time and both the host and the downloader will need to log in to the same hub on the Direct Connect network.

But HFS really is one of the most simple and convenient solutions I know of.

• 2 weeks later...

The google talk client has file transfer you can also send entire folders no need to zip them etc, there isn't a size limit. I've sent gigabytes of home movies in AVI format of kids to grandparents etc. The limiting factor is that of your connections upload speed so can take a while, since everywhere else in the world (well almost :o ) has faster internet than Thailand.