Can I Buy A Car On A Tourist Visa

hi guy's,

i'm belgium 27 years old

i'm in thailand rayong on the moment on a tourist visa.

yesterday i went out and purchase my first car in thailand, went to immigrations for the paperwork but the lady behind the counter diden't want to give me the papers i needed.

she sayd ''you are here on a tourist visa, i will not give you the papers, you can't buy a car here''

i told her i was sure i could and my thai gf told her to that she know falang buy car on tourist visa but she still refuse to help.

i did not fight her on the topic because i have to go back there for my extensions so i buy the car on my thai gf name.

if i go pattaya or bkk would i have more chance to get my papers.

or can i fight her decision for not giving me the papers i'm sure off i can get.

or am i so wrong and is she right and can't i buy a car here.

hope you guy's can help

grtz dennis

Can buy a car and transfer to your own name no problem, I did this on a tourist "30 day" stamp first time round. Need two passport sized photographs and proof of address - rental agreement or house book was accepted.

I'm surprised Rayong said this as they have plenty of farang to deal with, I was taken to Jomtiem immigration to do mine - zero hassle cost about 5,000 Baht.

Well think its a case of different offices - different rules...T.I.T.

Agree with OP, that Rayong doesnt let you register on a VOA.. samet thing.happened to a mate of mine....

Think it may be a case of tea money which needs to be being paid....

You paid THB 5000....dont remember it being so high for mine....sure some of this k5 wasnt tea money in Jontiem, hence the

ease of your service...I may be wrong on this just seems a little high

I have a motorbike and truck,,,,,,,,both books in my name, bought and paid for in cash,,,,,,,,,,,I renew the registration every year using only the blue or green book,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no need for anything else,,,,,,,,,,the Land Transport Office in Banglamung/Pong takes my money and gives me the new stickers,,,,,,,,,,,just need to show the receipt of payment for the compulsory insurance,,,,,,,,,,

Originally I got the residence lettter at Pattaya Immigration,,,,,,,,,,,

What is this 5000 baht? For what?

Some people are too quick to pull out their wallets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As far as I know ...You can only register a vehicle in your own name....if you are here on a non immigrant visa,then with a address attest from immigration,should be enough and only the registration or change of name fee should be paid at the land transport office

That is what the rules are ...thats what they told me at the landtransport office here in Buriram (and i am a good friend of the boss of the registration office)

Claus

Can someone expand on the exact procedure to use as I will be buying a motorcycle soon, my first such purchase in Thailand, though I've lived here for 3 years I have been renting a motorbike just because I was told everything was such a hassle for us farang, but I've had enough of renting so I was just about to buy the bike in the gf's name but if I can do it in mine then so much the better.

I'm here on a non-immigrant B visa but with no wp. thanks.

hi guy's,

i'm belgium 27 years old

i'm in thailand rayong on the moment on a tourist visa.

yesterday i went out and purchase my first car in thailand, went to immigrations for the paperwork but the lady behind the counter diden't want to give me the papers i needed.

she sayd ''you are here on a tourist visa, i will not give you the papers, you can't buy a car here''

i told her i was sure i could and my thai gf told her to that she know falang buy car on tourist visa but she still refuse to help.

i did not fight her on the topic because i have to go back there for my extensions so i buy the car on my thai gf name.

if i go pattaya or bkk would i have more chance to get my papers.

or can i fight her decision for not giving me the papers i'm sure off i can get.

or am i so wrong and is she right and can't i buy a car here.

hope you guy's can help

grtz dennis

The thing is with these situations is that one person will tell you you can and another that you can't. This is there experience. I registered a big motorbike on a tourist visa 4 years ago. At the time every farang I knew was telling me I could'nt. Somebody I told this to tried to register a bike and was refused. I am not sure that the people at the government offices know the rules a regs properly? Also if they find out they have been giving you the wrong Info the " Loss of Face" thing may well kick in? How could a Farang know more about this than they do?

Hope that clears that up for you :o

Can someone expand on the exact procedure to use as I will be buying a motorcycle soon, my first such purchase in Thailand, though I've lived here for 3 years I have been renting a motorbike just because I was told everything was such a hassle for us farang, but I've had enough of renting so I was just about to buy the bike in the gf's name but if I can do it in mine then so much the better.

I am no expert on this subject,,,,,,,,,,I can only relate what I did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it seems you live in Pattaya and have a non imm B so your situation is the same as mine,,,,,,,,,,,,Go to your friendly motorbike dealer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bought mine at the main Mityon dealer at 3rd road and Pattaya Tai,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,handed the salesman the cash for the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,showed him my passport,,,,,,,,,,,he made copies of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,had me sign some paperwork,,,,,,,,,,,,,and pay the licensing and insurance fees at the shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,told me to come back in about 3 weeks to pick up my new number plate and greenbook,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I left with a temporary red plate and receipts and such,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I returned 3 weeks later and received a new plate(white) and greenbook showing me as the owner ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now three years later I am going to the land transport office myself to renew the registration,,,,,,,annually,,,,,,,,,,I have changed address twice since the original purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So the answer to your question,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can buy and register your own bike,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you want the dealer will do it all for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,small fee for the service,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PK

I should also add,,,,,,,,,,,please protect yourself with a good first class insurance policy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 8,000 baht for a year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by longball53098

Last month I bought a motorcycle and registered it in my name on a tourist visa.

All you need to do is get a residence certificate. It doesn't matter what visa you're on.

I got my certificate from the Jomtien immigration office. The application form has a choice of 4 boxes to tick as a reason for needing a residence certificate. One of them is "buying a motorcycle or car" (another one was opening a bank account).

You will need proof of residence (I used a rental contract), 2 photos, photocopies of your passport's ID page and entry stamp and visa (if you have one), and the application fee of 200 baht.

The Immigration officer asked me if I was buying new or second hand, and that was it. I returned at 3pm to pick up the certificate. The dealer sent my certificate to the LTO to have the bike registered in my name. 3 weeks later I picked up the green book.

A very simple and painless procedure.

You will need proof of residence /../ and the application fee of 200 baht.
Uh...

The Proof of Residence is FREE,

but in Jomtien you have to pay 200 baht tea money... (Where is you receipt Tropo ? :o )

So ask for this document in an other immigration office if you can,

even if 200 baht is not much for the convenience...

All you need to do is get a residence certificate. It doesn't matter what visa you're on.

Absolutely correct. And such proof of residence you may either get from Thai Immigration or Swiss citizens, like me, can get such a paper from our embassy. I do not know how other embassies deal with this matter, but I imagine the same way.

Last month I bought a motorcycle and registered it in my name on a tourist visa.

I got my certificate from the Jomtien immigration office. The application form has a choice of 4 boxes to tick as a reason for needing a residence certificate. One of them is "buying a motorcycle or car" (another one was opening a bank account).

You will need proof of residence (I used a rental contract), 2 photos, photocopies of your passport's ID page and entry stamp and visa (if you have one), and the application fee of 200 baht.

The Immigration officer asked me if I was buying new or second hand, and that was it. I returned at 3pm to pick up the certificate. The dealer sent my certificate to the LTO to have the bike registered in my name. 3 weeks later I picked up the green book.

A very simple and painless procedure.

Yesterday, I went to my local used motorcycle dealer in Phuket Town. I found a Honda Dream that my friends want to buy. I told the dealer that my friend lives on a sailboat and does not have a tourist visa therefor has no fixed address. I was told that a Thai resident of Phuket with Thai family book must come to their office with two photos and guarentee the address for my friends. My Thai wife has a house book from northeast Thailand so we cannot help. So far my friends on their boat have been unable to find a Thai local that is willing to guarenty for them so they cannot buy a motorcycle until they return next year from Europe with a one year visa. If anyone knows of a loop hole so that my friends can buy their bike now, please let me know.

You need a Non Imm Visa to get a Thai Driving Licence to drive it.

Some insurance companies will not pay out if you do not have one.

Hi Lite Beer,

I think you are right on these 2 points,

but at Pattaya it is possible to get a Thai DL with a simple Tourist Visa or even a Tourist Visa Exemption ! :o

It could be a big problem in case of an important (expensive) accident...

You need a Non Imm Visa to get a Thai Driving Licence to drive it.

Some insurance companies will not pay out if you do not have one.

Hi Lite Beer,

I think you are right on these 2 points,

but at Pattaya it is possible to get a Thai DL with a simple Tourist Visa or even a Tourist Visa Exemption ! :o

It could be a big problem in case of an important (expensive) accident...

They seem to drink a lot of tea in Pattaya :D

The thing is with these situations is that one person will tell you you can and another that you can't. This is there experience. I registered a big motorbike on a tourist visa 4 years ago. At the time every farang I knew was telling me I could'nt. Somebody I told this to tried to register a bike and was refused. I am not sure that the people at the government offices know the rules a regs properly? Also if they find out they have been giving you the wrong Info the " Loss of Face" thing may well kick in? How could a Farang know more about this than they do?

Hope that clears that up for you :o

What sort of big motorbike did you register and where?

I am no expert on this subject,,,,,,,,,,I can only relate what I did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it seems you live in Pattaya and have a non imm B so your situation is the same as mine,,,,,,,,,,,,Go to your friendly motorbike dealer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I bought mine at the main Mityon dealer at 3rd road and Pattaya Tai,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,handed the salesman the cash for the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,showed him my passport,,,,,,,,,,,he made copies of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,had me sign some paperwork,,,,,,,,,,,,,and pay the licensing and insurance fees at the shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,told me to come back in about 3 weeks to pick up my new number plate and greenbook,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I left with a temporary red plate and receipts and such,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I returned 3 weeks later and received a new plate(white) and greenbook showing me as the owner ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now three years later I am going to the land transport office myself to renew the registration,,,,,,,annually,,,,,,,,,,I have changed address twice since the original purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So the answer to your question,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can buy and register your own bike,,,,,,,,,,,,and if you want the dealer will do it all for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,small fee for the service,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PK

I should also add,,,,,,,,,,,please protect yourself with a good first class insurance policy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 8,000 baht for a year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Are you suffering from a serious Hiccup ? :o

LaoPo

Also if they find out they have been giving you the wrong Info the " Loss of Face" thing may well kick in? How could a Farang know more about this than they do?

Isn't this more a misconception by foreigners who think they do know more than Thais? Surely "Loss of Face" generally "kicks in" when there has been an ugly situation or insult with someone as in any society? Just getting the rules wrong can be worked out and put down to experience no matter what race?