Seeking Chart Comparing Set To Other Indicies

Hi. One of the great things about reading this forum is that you find out about some terrific new info sources on investing. Plus some of the contributors are able to pull out some very interesting charts that you would never otherwise come across.

I have been searching online for a chart that compares the performance of the SET with a few key international stock indexes for comparison purposes. I have also approached SET but they say they don't have this info - that's unlikely I would say - but that is what I was told.

I have the SET historical info from the BOT web site but want to avoid having to dig out and key in all the other data if I possibly can (& I am not exactly top of the class in Excel). I am sure someone must already have such a chart (?)

Many thanks if you can assist.

- CB

Hi. One of the great things about reading this forum is that you find out about some terrific new info sources on investing. Plus some of the contributors are able to pull out some very interesting charts that you would never otherwise come across.

I have been searching online for a chart that compares the performance of the SET with a few key international stock indexes for comparison purposes. I have also approached SET but they say they don't have this info - that's unlikely I would say - but that is what I was told.

I have the SET historical info from the BOT web site but want to avoid having to dig out and key in all the other data if I possibly can (& I am not exactly top of the class in Excel). I am sure someone must already have such a chart (?)

Many thanks if you can assist.

- CB

Give this link a try.

http://stockcharts.com/charts/performance/

Thank you LR. Yes that's a good web site. Went there before but did not try the PerfCharts section.

The only problem is that you can only go back to Dec 2001. So will keep hunting for the longer period stats.

Also not sure the exact meaning of the % value on the vertical axis. If you do a comparison of FTSE, SET, DOW this suggests that the SET has outperformed the other two over this period - or am I misreading this?

- CB

Thank you LR. Yes that's a good web site. Went there before but did not try the PerfCharts section.

The only problem is that you can only go back to Dec 2001. So will keep hunting for the longer period stats.

Also not sure the exact meaning of the % value on the vertical axis. If you do a comparison of FTSE, SET, DOW this suggests that the SET has outperformed the other two over this period - or am I misreading this?

- CB

The SET has definitely outperformed those indexes in that time period.

There appear to be some bad ticks on the historic SET chart and as you say it does not go back far enough to fulfill your requirements. The comparative performance charts measure performance from a given point in time. That is what the % axis denotes. Yahoo charts has this comparative performance feature also but I cannot find the current symbol they are using for the SET. I would not be surprised if you had to post monthly closing values in an excell spreadsheet in order to get what you want.

Noted thanks. Yes, looks like no short cuts and might just have to compile my own chart. :o

Yahoo Finance does not appear to have SET figures, but I can source the other indicies I want (in Excel format). These go back to varying years depending on the index - but none to 1980. As noted I already have the SET figures back to 1980 in both monthly and quarterly format.

Asiachart - another good web site I read about here - seems to go back to 1990 but only in the form of separate charts showing each individual index. Might try emailing them and see if I can get lucky.

- CB