Old T.v.programmes.

oldgit

James Bond (as played by Roger Moore) previously played Ivanhoe in a long running UK kids series. What was the name of HIS sidekick and what did that actor go on to do?

His sidekick was Robert Brown who played Gurth in Ivanhoe. He later became "M" in a number of James Bond films.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lone Ranger, Hi OH Silver, WOW, what a great show. Tonto was the best side kick for the Ranger. :o:D:D:D:D

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Is this worth a new thread??

Tonto WAS brilliant. Now, we all know the name of the Lone Ranger's horse. But what was the name of Tonto's horse? 10 points for that!!

(Such a shame that soon after the last espisode, the Lone Ranger found out what "Kimma savvy" really meant, and shot Tonto!).

OK, what was the name of the sidekick of the Range Rider? Clue: he always wore black, even tho he was one of the good guys.

James Bond (as played by Roger Moore) previously played Ivanhoe in a long running UK kids series. What was the name of HIS sidekick and what did that actor go on to do?

Who were the comic sidekicks of Tony Hancock and (20 points for this next one) Freddy Frinton? And what did THEY go on to do??

Sorry ZPete! Your English is so good and your posts comprise such common sense I DID mistake you for a Brit.

And, PS, I'm very sorry for what we did to your dairy and lamb industry by joining the wretched Common Market!

I believe the comic sidekicks of Anthony Aloysius Hancock were Sid James,Bill Kerr (both Aussies who found their way on to the British comedy scene in the 1960's)and Hattie Jacques.Sid James and Hattie Jacques were in most of the Carry On films.I think Bill Kerr went back to Oz and became a serious actor.Freddy Frinton - One of his sketches,where he's a paraletic butler,is a standing dish on Dutch T.V. every Christmas. He's definitely a one off!

Going back a bit, so I may have the order mixed up.

Star Trek (The real one!)

One Step Beyond

The Third Man

Spy Ring

The Golden Hind ??(about Sir Francis Drake)

The Prisoner

The Twilight Zone

And Arnold Palmer playing golf at his best!

One Step Beyond

The Third Man

Spy Ring

The Prisoner

The Twilight Zone

Twilght Zone and The Outer Limits.......great stories!

One Step Beyond

The Third Man

Spy Ring

The Prisoner

The Twilight Zone

Ah Yes, The Outer Limits. Indeed, another fine series.

One Step Beyond

The Third Man

Spy Ring

The Prisoner

The Twilight Zone

Ah Yes, The Outer Limits. Indeed, another fine series.

Rod Serling produced and narrated The Outer Limits.He had this mysterious voice which,when you heard it,made you sit up and take notice.Similar to Alfred Hitchcock and Edgar Lustgarden(Scotland Yard - another great series).

The Clangers

Ah yes, The Clangers, the only kids TV show where the producers (Smallfilms) were told by the BBC to 'tone down the language', a reaction made more amazing by the fact that they don't actually speak. The bad language is still in episode one, if you know where to look http://www.clangers.co.uk/

Having seen them first in black and white, they still look wrong in colour :o

His sidekick was Robert Brown who played Gurth in Ivanhoe. He later became "M" in a number of James Bond films.

Almost right, but dam_n good. It was Garth, and yes he did go on to more sinister sidekick success. But what about that young guy who rode alongside the Range Rider???

The Lone Ranger, Hi OH Silver, WOW, what a great show. Tonto was the best side kick for the Ranger. :o:D:D:D:D

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Tonto WAS brilliant. Now, we all know the name of the Lone Ranger's horse. But what was the name of Tonto's horse? 10 points for that!!

(Such a shame that soon after the last espisode, the Lone Ranger found out what "Kimma savvy" really meant, and shot Tonto!).

OK, what was the name of the sidekick of the Range Rider? Clue: he always wore black, even tho he was one of the good guys.

Who were the comic sidekicks of Tony Hancock and (20 points for this next one) Freddy Frinton? And what did THEY go on to do??

Sorry ZPete! Your English is so good and your posts comprise such common sense I DID mistake you for a Brit.

And, PS, I'm very sorry for what we did to your dairy and lamb industry by joining the wretched Common Market!

I believe the comic sidekicks of Anthony Aloysius Hancock were Sid James,Bill Kerr (both Aussies who found their way on to the British comedy scene in the 1960's)and Hattie Jacques.Sid James and Hattie Jacques were in most of the Carry On films.I think Bill Kerr went back to Oz and became a serious actor.Freddy Frinton - One of his sketches,where he's a paraletic butler,is a standing dish on Dutch T.V. every Christmas. He's definitely a one off!

Very well done! Go to equal top of the class!! The name I was looking for was in fact Sid James who went on to have several series on BBC TV in his own right. The last before he went to the big balcony in the sky was, I believe, 'Bless This House', in which he had a tearaway son who always wore a leather jacket. 20 points for the name of that actor, who was born in India.

Freddy Frinton (his 'sidekick' was a broken cigarette which somehow never fell apart) was indeed brilliant. The Dutch have good taste in many things, not only cheese.

Arthur Haynes? Maybe not as funny, but his sidekick went on to earn substantially more cash than he......... any guesses for 10 points?

Last for tonight, the SWEDES also have excellent taste in English comedy. Their Christmas favourite is a 'modern' silent film entitled 'The Plank'. Who starred in that (and it's a long list)? Especially, who played the part of the truck driver??

Happy viewing!!

In Australia it was mostly cop shows with my Dad and brother:

Homicide

Division 4

Matlock

Streets of San Francisco

After school was Gilligans Island

Sunday nights was Disneyland

what about the Sullivans LoL! eeeee the sullivans lol!

Whenever I get a haircut in Thailand I am reminded of "The Sullivans" :o

The Mickey Mouse Club in black & white.

I was totally in love with Annette Funicello, and completely jealous of Jimmy the host for getting to sing with her.

I'm sure I have my mouse ears somewhere in an old trunk to prove my membership! :o

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Very well done! Go to equal top of the class!! The name I was looking for was in fact Sid James who went on to have several series on BBC TV in his own right. The last before he went to the big balcony in the sky was, I believe, 'Bless This House', in which he had a tearaway son who always wore a leather jacket. 20 points for the name of that actor, who was born in India.

Freddy Frinton (his 'sidekick' was a broken cigarette which somehow never fell apart) was indeed brilliant. The Dutch have good taste in many things, not only cheese.

Arthur Haynes? Maybe not as funny, but his sidekick went on to earn substantially more cash than he......... any guesses for 10 points?

Last for tonight, the SWEDES also have excellent taste in English comedy. Their Christmas favourite is a 'modern' silent film entitled 'The Plank'. Who starred in that (and it's a long list)? Especially, who played the part of the truck driver??

Happy viewing!!

Your'e getting me at it,Mr.F! Arthur Haynes sidekick was Nicholas Parsons who went on to do Sale of the Century.The only bloke I remember in The Plank was Graham Stark,terrific comedy actor.

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Happy viewing!!

Your'e getting me at it,Mr.F! Arthur Haynes sidekick was Nicholas Parsons who went on to do Sale of the Century.The only bloke I remember in The Plank was Graham Stark,terrific comedy actor.

There was also Jimmy Edwards who was the policeman, Gareth Hunt who was the truck driver, John LeMersurier, the guy who played Captain Mainwaring whose name escapes me at the moment.

I will probably back with some more when my memory banks kick in.

Sidekicks!

Fascinating!

Happy viewing!!

There was also Jimmy Edwards who was the policeman, Gareth Hunt who was the truck driver, John LeMersurier, the guy who played Captain Mainwaring whose name escapes me at the moment.

I will probably back with some more when my memory banks kick in.

Arthur Lowe was Captain Mainwaring and Gareth Hunt was an action man in a The Avengers.

Actually there are two versions of "The Plank".

The original 1967 version with Eric Sykes and Tommy Cooper and a later remake with Eric Sykes and Arthur Lowe. Formula 1 driver James Hunt was the truck driver in the later version.

Cast lists courtesy of IMDB (sadly my memory isn't that good).

1967 Cast list.

Tommy Cooper ... Larger Workman

Eric Sykes ... Smaller Workman

Jimmy Edwards ... Policeman

Roy Castle ... Delivery Man with boxes

Graham Stark ... Amorous Van Driver

Stratford Johns ... Station Sergeant

Jim Dale ... House Painter

Jimmy Tarbuck ... Barman

Hattie Jacques ... Woman with Rose

Rex Garner ... Tourist

Libby Morris ... Tourist

John Junkin ... Truck Driver

Joan Young

Barney Gilbraith ... Paint-covered House Owner

Clovissa Newcombe ... Girl in Van

Dermot Kelly ... Concertina Man

Anna Carteret ... Woman in Street

Thomas Gallagher ... Man with beer

Howard Douglas ... Old Man

Bill Oddie ... Window Cleaner

Kenny Lynch ... Dustman

Ronnie Brody ... nud_e Model Carrier

Dave Freeman ... Cement Mixer

Johnny Speight ... Chauffeur

Ian Wilson ... Friend of Van Owner

Dennis Golding ... Boy with cuffed ear

Tricia De Dulin

1979 cast list

Eric Sykes ... Larger Workman

Arthur Lowe ... Smaller Workman

Lionel Blair ... Paint-covered House Owner

Henry Cooper ... Beer drinker

Harry H. Corbett ... Amourous Van Driver

Bernard Cribbins ... House painter

Robert Dorning ... Fork-Lift Truck Driver

Diana Dors ... Woman with Rose

Charlie Drake ... Delivery man with cake

Jimmy Edwards ... Policeman

Liza Goddard ... Young lady helped across the road

Deryck Guyler ... Milkman

Charles Hawtrey ... Co-Driver

Frankie Howerd ... Photographer

James Hunt ... One-Eyed Truck Driver

Wilfrid Hyde-White ... Old man trying to cross the road (as Wilfred Hyde White)

Joanna Lumley ... Hitchhiker

Kenny Lynch ... Dustman

Brian Murphy ... Truck Driver

Kate O'Mara ... 'It's Paint' Woman

Ann Sidney ... Photographers Model

Reg Varney ... Window Cleaner

Frank Windsor ... Car driver

Pat Gorman ... Dustman (uncredited)

IMHO the earlier version was best, but the remake (with pretty well identical plot) has a lot of famous names :o

Both are hilarious :D

Edited by Crossy

Actually there are two versions of "The Plank".

IMHO the earlier version was best, but the remake (with pretty well identical plot) has a lot of famous names :o

Both are hilarious :D

I agree with that, the later version loses something! I did manage to get in the UK, a few years ago, a double DVD set with The Plank, It's Your Move, Rhubarb, Rhubarb and Mr H Is Late. I've just got them out to watch them again!