Chumphon To Phuket

Big A

Hi all

Although I have driven from Bangkok to Chumphon many many times, I am not sure of the best route from Chumphon to Phuket.

Basically, I can see 2 main ways:

1. From Chumphon, down the main 41 route (to Hat Yai), and then turn right at Phunpin/Suratthani junction and through Phanom on the 401.

2. From Chumphon, go along the windy route 4 via Ranong.

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Big A

PS This has also been posted in the Southern Thailand Forum as well.

Both those routes have long and winding roads on single lane highways.

There is a newer road (not even listed on my map) about 10+ kilometers south of Surathani, sign posted to Krabi. This road is dual highway, straight as an arrow for about 150 Km (all the way to Krabi), then turn right to Pangnha and on to Phuket.

Word of warning... there is only one gas station on that 150 km section, and it's not easy to find as it's well off the main highway.

Thanks, LivinginKata. Is this not a bit of a roundabout way?

They are building a new road now. I just drove that road a few weeks ago. I just downloaded Google Earth Plus on my computer and then type in Chumphon to Phuket and you will get fastest route. It must be the shortest as well becasue they are very busy making it into a four lane road. I agree that the other route may be faster but it is going way out of the way. You may be able to make up for the extra distance by going faster on the four lane to Krabi but I think I made very good time late at night because there were not to many trucks on the road. I think in another 6 months that road will be finished and it will be much faster.

I have done the other route through Ranong and enjoyed it very much, but you will add several hours of driving on that one.

No doubt it adds at least 30 klicks on the route, but it's much faster and SAFER. Nowadays I would not even consider the other 2 routes, trying to get by the buses and trucks, and risking an accident. No way....

There is a newer road (not even listed on my map) about 10+ kilometers south of Surathani, sign posted to Krabi. This road is dual highway, straight as an arrow for about 150 Km (all the way to Krabi), then turn right to Pangnha and on to Phuket.

Word of warning... there is only one gas station on that 150 km section, and it's not easy to find as it's well off the main highway.

Yeah i've taken this road. I think it's more like 100 KM long. And i can confirm, it's as straight as an arrow. It's amazing. I saw about 2 motorbikes the whole way. And yes ....i nearly ran out of petrol. The only petrol station i could find was right at the end when it rejoins the road everyone else is using.

I was very surprised that there was just NO traffic on this road. Excellent. Its definitely quicker AND much more chilled out and less hassle.

A motorcycling friend of mine uses it to speed test his bike on too !

So, this road is an unbroken dual carriageway/highway all the way from the 41 junction (at Phunphin) right into Krabi town?

Just wondering why it is so quiet and unused 'cos it links 2 major towns!

I think it's so quiet as few people know about it and it's not on any maps, as yet.

No, it's not the Phunpin junction. It's, about 10km south of that junction, then exit right by flyover main road.

Yes, it's an unbroken dual highway all the way to just south of Krabi. You can't even see the other carriageway as the seperation is a few hundred meters of trees etc. It passes through no towns or villages. Almost no intersections, other then U-turns from time to time. It's unreal driving on an arrow staright road at full bore, and seeing almost no traffic for kilo after kilo. I estimate it cuts at least 30 minutes off the journey from Phuket to Surat via your No 1 route.

I've heard about this road but haven't tried it yet.

Where do I join it going from Phuket in the other direction and is it well signposted?

Where do I join it going from Phuket in the other direction and is it well signposted?

It's not well sign posted from either direction. From HTK follow the road to Krabi. 10 clicks past Ao Luk take a left hwy44 to Surat Thani.

It's on the recent edition michelin map, buy one!

Edited by MrEarl

I'm going to disagree with the concensus of opinion that this new road is a faster route. Admittedly I have never tried it but it just doesn't add up to me.

I have just done the Phuket to Chumpon drive. I took the cross country route, turn left after Thapput onto route 415 and then route 401 to join highway 41. This section of the drive took me 1 hour 10 minutes without pushing hard. A lot of this road is single carriageway but it is in good condition and a pleasant drive.

If I went for the new road it is another 20 minutes drive south before you reach the turn. You say it is 150km so even if I drove at 150kmh all the way (my car can't actually go that fast) it would take an hour. Then it must be another 10 minutes drive north up highway 41 before you reach the point where you the cross country route joins the highway, so that makes 1 hour 30 mins. For this route to really save time you would have to drive it at about 300kmh.

I quoted the (about) 150 km, but I should explain the I joined the northern start of the new highway on the way back from Don Sak ferry teminal (to Samui), and the first kilo sign displayed about 147 (??) km to Krabi. It's quite a way before you cross the main 41 highway. I would guess from there to meeting the 4 highway until south of Krabi is less than 100 km.

1 hour and 10 minutes on the 401 seems rather quick to me. Maybe you were lucky with few buses and trucks to get by. We usually set out about 07.00 from Kata on the drive to my wife's home town, and our first pit stop is the big Coop/KFC place just north of Phunpin. We usually arrive there just before 10.00 using the 401. Using the new road we get there about 09.30, in a much more relaxed state of mind & body. Nowadays I would not think about the 401 road.

Edited by LivinginKata

• 2 weeks later...

They are building a new road now. I just drove that road a few weeks ago. I just downloaded Google Earth Plus on my computer and then type in Chumphon to Phuket and you will get fastest route. It must be the shortest as well becasue they are very busy making it into a four lane road. I agree that the other route may be faster but it is going way out of the way. You may be able to make up for the extra distance by going faster on the four lane to Krabi but I think I made very good time late at night because there were not to many trucks on the road. I think in another 6 months that road will be finished and it will be much faster.

I have done the other route through Ranong and enjoyed it very much, but you will add several hours of driving on that one.

Phuket - Chumpon in 4.5 hours using the new highway (44) - just love driving on this road and the highway (41) is decent dual carriageway all the way.

When I fly back (from CM) last week I saw the new road under construction - so looks like Hughway 44 will link to Phang Nga and the already upgraded Highway 4 to Phuket. Looked a bit more than 6 months to me but will be welcome route once complete.

BTW - Did Phuket --> Chiang Mai 1600km in 16 hours, so pretty decent roads in Thailand on the whole. :o