Best International Bank For Us Citizens Living In Thailand?

I've been living in Thailand since late '06, and it's become home to me, but I need to make a decision about where to do my overall banking. I happen to be a retired US citizen, and I'd like to find the best institution that can provide me everything I need: good investment options, financial planning, a credit card, ATM card, Internet banking, etc. I've considered a few (like HSBC and DBS, both domeciled in Singapore), but their investment options are very limited for Americans. I'm thinking of Citibank, but I've heard some complaints about them. And with the dollar falling against every currency around the planet (especially the Baht), I'm not sure I want to have a dollar-denominated account. Any suggestions from the LOS old-timers out there? :o

I've been living in Thailand since late '06, and it's become home to me, but I need to make a decision about where to do my overall banking. I happen to be a retired US citizen, and I'd like to find the best institution that can provide me everything I need: good investment options, financial planning, a credit card, ATM card, Internet banking, etc. I've considered a few (like HSBC and DBS, both domeciled in Singapore), but their investment options are very limited for Americans. I'm thinking of Citibank, but I've heard some complaints about them. And with the dollar falling against every currency around the planet (especially the Baht), I'm not sure I want to have a dollar-denominated account. Any suggestions from the LOS old-timers out there? :o

I am quite pleased with charles schwab. No fees for ATM. Very helpful customer service.

I don't think you will be able to find a US bank that have branch in Thailand that will allow you access to your accounts. US banking laws, mostly controlled by individual states, within a federal framework, make this pretty much impossible. You will have to settle for finding a bank in the US that fits your needs and has reasonable ATM and SWIFT transfer fees that give you access to money in Thailand.

All the Americans I know keep most money in US investment institutions and transfer to Thailand as needed for living expenses, for the retired ones that mostly consists of transferring enough to top up Thai account to 800k for the yearly retirement extension.

TH

I have had a Fidelity account for many years and works fine. I think to first open the account you will need a stateside address but then can transfer to your Thai address although you wont need anything mailed because you can do everything on-line. Once opened you will get free checking, a Visa debit card and a free American Express gold card. From your account you can set up a wire transfer to your Bangkok account or use the debit card to access funds. You will also be able to trade stocks, buy mutual funds and have 24 hour access to their call center using a toll free number. Check out their website for details: www.fidelity.com