Translation Needed In Thai Characters

loubrockbank

:o thanks sooo much you 2 are stars!!!!

one last question..... the reason i want this is for my tatoo i know it may be a silly question but if i wanted this to go down do i have the left character or right at the top so it reads correctly??

if that makes sense :D

I don't think you can write Thai from the top down. It is written from left to right, but let’s hear it from people who had a tattoo with Thai text done in Thailand. From the top down, it would look like this:

น้

If you want น้องชาย in really big characters, take this attachment for your tattooist to work with:

post-21260-1207254647_thumb.png

This is a font for printing characters. If you want a handwriting type font, say so and somebody will surely have it available.

--

Maestro

Hi Maestro

thanks to you too!

actually if anyone did have this in handwriting they could do for me, in a large picture so i can print and take with me that would be appreciated..sorry to be a pain its just this tattoo is my first and really means alot to me personally so u can understand i want to make sure its right :o

I will buy you all a thanks drink when we move over!

loubrockbank, you didn’t say on what part of you body you plan to have your tattoo, but there was this British soldier who had ENGLAND tattooed from the top down on his right arm:

post-21260-1207256115_thumb.png

Now consider what this looks like with his arm stretched out:

post-21260-1207256127_thumb.png or post-21260-1207256332_thumb.png

depending from which side you look at it.

--

Maestro

ive decided to get it on the back of my neck thats why i was thinking of the letters going down, but looking at the original translation and having a play around with it left to right may look better but im not sure....may be easier to tell if i can see it in handwriting

I did also consider on my inner wrist, but not sure i want it somewhere as obvious , at least on my neck if i wanted i could cover it with my hair...

not saying i want to hide it if you get me, just some employers here in the uk are a bit turned off at it...silly i know

another option may be below my navel to the left...just above my pant/underwear line :o

Don't put it above your pant line, that would be disrespectful in Thai culture. Also, may I ask what meaning exactly you think the word brother will be conveying.

Here are some examples, you didn't mention what type of handwriting you wanted. Modern or traditional. You might want to look here: http://www.f0nt.com or here: http://se-ed.net/thaifontsss/js/ Tell me what you like and I'll write it for you.

Also, IMO I think it looks better written across.

post-4598-1207279527_thumb.jpg

post-4598-1207279539_thumb.jpg

post-4598-1207281140_thumb.jpg

Edited by withnail

Bear in mind น้องชาย 'little brother' is also used a cutesy euphemism for the male genitals. Not exactly what I would want to have as a tattoo. Consider this move carefully.

Perhaps สหาย 'comrade'; 'friend'; 'mate' or another word would be better if you want the reader to get a sense of brotherhood...?

Bear in mind น้องชาย 'little brother' is also used a cutesy euphemism for the male genitals. Not exactly what I would want to have as a tattoo. Consider this move carefully.

Perhaps สหาย 'comrade'; 'friend'; 'mate' or another word would be better if you want the reader to get a sense of brotherhood...?

Or perhaps you should consider พี่น้อง which vaguely means siblings, or พี่น้องจริง which vaguely means blood brothers.

:o ooo gosh well i dont want people to think i have the word penis written on my neck! ahah see this is why i checked it out first

the reason for brother is that i dont see my brothers anymore and havnt for ages, due to personal reasons, and im a bit soppy and i want my tattoo to represent them being with me all the time, i dont want to go down the route of getting their names

withnail - thanks for the tip about where i shouldnt get this done, the last thing i want is to offend anyone so thanks.I really like the font in the middle example you gave me, the bolder one of the 3. Maybe the word sibling could be better?? could you try this for me??

thanks all !

Are all of your brothers younger than you? If so I'm not sure you'd want พี่น้อง which means (older and younger) siblings, you might just be better off getting the second half of the word (nong not pii nong). If you have any sisters they would be included in this as well.

Most Thai tattoos I've seen have been in a traditional font like the last one above, but if you want modern then that would be the middle one or another from that font site I gave you. I'll do a couple of quick ones now and if you make a decision then PM me and I'll do a bigger one.

Edit: File added. All the fonts are modern although some are slightly childlike. They all say nong (younger sibling/persons name) pii nong (older and younger siblings) nong chaay (younger brother(s)/willy)

post-4598-1207365273_thumb.jpg

Edited by withnail