Thai Dishes Cooked W/ Soy Sauce

urbal

Can anyone tell me either on average what percentages of dishes are cooked with soy sauce? Also perhaps a list of common dishes that are or are not made with it would halp. Is it used as much in Thai cooking as in Chinese cooking? Thanks!

I have a Thai cook book where nearly every recipe gives the option of adding soy sauce. Usually saying either/or fish sauce, and a few plus fish sauce.

Personally, if I make a large curry, 8-10 people, I'll add a tablespoon of soy sauce.

I hope someone can give you a more diffinitive answer.

Remembering that there is a large Chinese community in Thailand, many Thai dishes are taken straight from Chines cuisine and therefore have quite a preponderance for Chinese style soy sauce.

Having said that, it should be remembered that the Thai have their own soy sauce which is sweetened (and delicious) and is similar to the Ketchap Manis of Malasia and Indonesia.

You will probly find both sorts of soy in a Thai kitchen although fish sauce (nam pla) will be used in preference to Chinese soy in most dishes.

Light soy sauce is used as a substitute for nam pla for vegitarians..............its not as good!