Life In Uk Test Or Esol Course

Hi all,

Looking for abit of advise from you guys whos wifes have passed the life in uk test or succesfully completed/passed the ESOL course.

The reason im asking is, we have the test book what is required for my mrs to study, but I can get my wife onto a ESOL course starting in september.

What would you guys recomend? ESOL or the life in uk test?

Also, is it true with the ESOL course, you just need to attend, and then you will meet the requirements the home office require.

Many thanks

Scotty & Kannika

Hi Scotty,

my Wife passed the Life in UK Test second time round, however I think if you the time get your Wife on The ESOL course that includes Citizensip. Just incase she finds it hard to get through the test you wl always have the ESOL as backup.

Goodluck Both of you.

:o

Hi all,

Looking for abit of advise from you guys whos wifes have passed the life in uk test or succesfully completed/passed the ESOL course.

The reason im asking is, we have the test book what is required for my mrs to study, but I can get my wife onto a ESOL course starting in september.

Also, is it true with the ESOL course, you just need to attend, and then you will meet the requirements the home office require.

Many thanks

Scotty & Kannika

Wife passed Life in the UK at the second attempt too & her friend passed first time - on the other side of the coin, another friend took 11 attempts.

Perhaps you should see how she goes first time around, if it looks like she wont make it then go for the ESOL course.

As far as i can work out, the esol course is something that you just attend, My wife passed citizenship test first time, and i was there yesterday where a friend of the wife passed third time, another girl from thailand passed first time. and all seven that took the test all passed, it would be worth taking the test a couple of times and if no joy. use the esol course as a back up.

hi there, right regards to the e sol course with citizenship. the home office say that your wife will have to progress from one level to the next, when she goes to enrol at college she will be assed to see what level she is at i.e. 1 2 or 3. yes there is a exam at the end of the course, consiting of reading writing, listening and talking, you have to pass all subjects to get a pass, my wife attended college for a total of 6 months, failing her first exams, she has just took them again last week, gets the results monday, she is feeling quite confident. the e sol course is NOT easy, like i said my wife has been to colege for 6 months now. but the great thing is she can now atcually read and write english now. if she goes for the other test she will need to be able to read english and have knowledge of life in the uk, or is she good at guessing. cheers mick

Hi all,

Many thanks

Scotty & Kannika

Nope..She has to pass the exams.

My Wife did her ESOL with Citizenship in Scotland and that requires 2 Units. She did four tests in total. One for reading, one writing, one speaking and one for comprehension.

Without the passes they don't get the certificate.

And even with the certificate they now need a letter from the Collage stating that the student did enough to progress to a higher level if the level wasn't three I believe.

I've recently had cause to clarify what the ESOL requirements are, and pretty much as Farangmal said, the applicant has to pass a full ESOL course, at the end of which they should be awarded a pass certificate by an approved body (not the college) which covers all of the qualifying elements. This should also be accompanied by a letter from the college which confirms that the course was taught in a citizenship context and that the individual has moved up an ESOL level.

Do not be tempted to pay good money to a private college offering passes in one day. The Home Office will not accept these qualifications and several of these organisations are under criminal investigation.

Scouse.

Well , thats the information ive been hoping to hear for a while now. my wife has almost finished ESOL entry level 2, reading , speaking / listening and so now she must study term 3 , writing. term 1 was for 12 weeks , term 2 was 12 weeks and term 3 is also 12 weeks but the 12 weeks includes half and full term holidays. She has taken an assesement at the end of term 1 and now its almost time for the term 2 assesement.

Term 1 she attended college twice per week for 2 hours per class .Cost £115.00

Term 2 she attends college once per week for a two hour class. . Cost £62.50

Term 3 is one lesson per week for 2 hours . Cost £ 62.50

I think that she can choose to study 2 times per week and pay £ 115. I think you can choose to study 1 or 2 times per week . Up to you.

My wife is currently at college studying an ESOL Level 1 course. She completes this in June this year. Am I right in thinking that if she is successful and gains the certificate, we can then apply for naturalisation (Been here in the Uk for nearly 5 years)

Hi,

My wife is going to the college tommorow to put her name down for the ESOL course which starts in september.

The fee is £50 for a 10 week course.

Which course shall she be starting at? or will she be assessed by the asseser and told which course she needs to start at?

My wife speeks exellent English, writes well, but not perfect, and can also read well, but does not know sometimes what the words actually meen, which I think is understandable.

Will my wife need to start at the lowest ESOL course and move her way up? or like I said, will she be assessed to see how for she is, and told which course by the asseser she needs to start at.

At the top of our street is a local learning centre which offers free literacy and numeracy classes, with her starting the ESOL course in september, I believe taking this little course may help her alot, or maybe I need to take it with my spellings :o

Cheers all.

Scotty & K

What do u mean "Moved up a notch"?

Progressed from one level to the next. This should be confirmed in the college letter.

Scotty - Your wife should be assessed by the college in order to establish which is the most suitable level for her.

Scouse.

I think there is a distinct difference between the status of an ESOL course of which there are many at my local college and ESOL with citizenship of which there are far fewer.

If (?) I am reading the Home Office website correctly only progress in the citizenship courses is of use for ILR.

Could those who know please clarify.

Thanks

Hi all,

My mrs went down today as I was told on the phone she should do so.

Well I was mis led on the phone.

I was told on the phone that my wife needed to go down to the centre, give them her details, name, address etc, then she will be added to the list for the ESOL course which starts in september.

Today my wife went down to the college as was told there is no first come first served, the women wrote this down on some paper for my wife, this is what she wrote.

She needs to pick up a copy of something called choices from a place near our home in august.

She then needs to look up the community enrolment dates, and the course is called citizenship.

She then needs to attend the dates bringing along her passport and any proof of benifit if WFTC ( whats this, wftc??? )it will need to say 2008 - 2009.

The enrolment is likely to be the second week in september.

Does this sound about write??

Love to here from others who have put there wifes through this course and how they went about it.

Like I say, does this sound about write.

Thanks everyone

Scotty & K

My missis has passed the ESOL course.

We had to take this option as were running out of time and we don't think she stood much chance of passing the Life in UK test.

I think the course was 40 hrs @ £10 per hour, £400. It was worth the cost though IMO, as I think it saved alot of time and stress. If you've got enough time, I'd definately do the course, or better still do the free government one that starts in September, beware this may take ages though. Actually not even sure if there is still a free course.

The main thing is to make sure it is the right course, ie, with Citizenship included.

If your in the Northwest I can give you the number. The course was in Bolton.

Goodluck

yo Scotty.

When my wife enrolled, i think there were 2 days of enrollment. We turned up on day 2 and were very very lucky to get on the course , the teacher said we were the last to be accepted because so many wanted to take the course , mainlly all eastern europeans, so my advice would be to get there early on enrollment day. It seesm each college around the country is different, in our town the course is run twice per week ,the times were 10- 12AM or 4-6 PM this was for term 1 but now they have an evening class from 6.30- 8.30 mainlly for people who are working during the day, or shifts etc.

Good luck

Scooty and wife

I think the course was 40 hrs @ £10 per hour, £400.
The course is citizenship,

The fee states £50

Scotty,

Please just check and get it in writing if you can that this course is the Citizenship qualification that is recognised by the relevant body,

with demand so high nowadays, it does seem rather cheap.

Good Luck

Moss

I think there is a distinct difference between the status of an ESOL course of which there are many at my local college and ESOL with citizenship of which there are far fewer.

If (?) I am reading the Home Office website correctly only progress in the citizenship courses is of use for ILR.

Could those who know please clarify.

Thanks

I would recommend contacting the Life in the UK Helpline on 0800 0154245. They are able to check on their database which colleges are running ESOL with citizenship in your area. I was surprised to find that there were only two within a 25 mile radius of my home in the West Midlands.

Mermot

Hi all,

The site which is offering this course is, www.sheffcol.ac.uk

Click on courses, do a course search entering esol and bump there you go.

You will see that at the mount pleasent centre, they are doing a ESOL citizenship course stating, every monday between 915-1145 for 10 weeks and the fee is £50.

Now it states to be confirmed.

My wife went down on tuesday and was told, in august to go to the peaks centre ( 10 mins from our home ) and to pick up a booklet called choices.

She then has to look up the community enrolment dates, and the course is called citizenship.

She then needs to bring along her passport along with any current proof of benifits.

The enrolment is likely to be the second week in september she said.

I do hope this is the write course on the site, as there are many ESOL courses at many different locations in Sheffield, but only one called ESOL citizenship at the mount pleasent centre, the one my wife went to on tuesday.

Many thanks all

Scotty & K

Scotty,

I hate to break the bad news to you, but this course by itself is not enough: it is only the citizenship bit and not the ESOL. Your wife will otherwise have to take an ESOL class and pass that exam in addition to taking this course.

I know a Thai woman who took this course and applied for indefinite leave. She was knocked back by the Home Office and ended up taking the Life in the UK test.

Scouse.

http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/index.cfm?PID=ea...;Course=NDVCI2B

...the certificate from this course, together with any current ESOL test certicate, (eg Trinity or Cambridge ) at entry levels, will meet the current Home Office language requirements for citizenship application.

She can study the course you've mentioned and that will provide the citizenship part, but your wife also needs to show that she has passed an ESOL course and has moved up a level. She should really be assessed by the college and the tutor will determine which level is best for your wife.

Scouse.

Cheers again Scouse.

I presume you looked on the site I posted?

As you will have seen, there are many colleges on there offering Esol courses.

Which college should she contact to be assesed??

The mount pleasent centre only offers citizenship, the others offer level 1, 2, 3 etc.

Any help would be so apreciated.

Scotty