Elite Card Useless Now?

lardy

btw, this Thavisa's 67th thread on the Thai Elite Card dating back to before it was even launched... :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...elite&st=75

It's quite a depository of history...

with classic thread titles such as...

Operator Of Elite Card To Seek Sidelines, Director denies move spurred by low sale

Sell Your Elite Card? What are they worth on the used market?

And Now, The Super Elite Card, UNDAUNTED BY THAI ELITE CARD FAILURE

Thailand Elite Card Fails To Impress, Right to own land off perks list

Thailand Elite Card Project Panned, Conflicts of interest and irregularities

CNN Unpaid Bill To Thailand Elite At 140 Million Baht, Contracts signed without authorisation

Thailand Elite Card, Beginning of the Implosion?

Elite Card debt-crisis meeting

Government Probes Elite Card Corruption

Elite Card: Golf-course Plan Lands In Bunker, Lack of funds!

Thaksin Concedes Problems With Elite Card Scheme, Blames private sector for the problems

What Is The "real" Value Of The Elite Card, ...not much. Get 2 of them for a t-shirt

2,000 New Elite Card Users Targeted In 2005, Struggling programme revamped

Elite Card Project "under Review", future "hangs in the balance"

Troubled Elite Card Must Raise Fees To Be Viable, Says Study

Elite Card Could Face Closure, Audit team investigates poor performance

Elite Card To Cut Benefits, Double Its Price, Distributor says it needs better sales strategy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they need to sign more members to pay for the old ones? Do they hope that some members will never use 1mil worth of services so they can cover for heavy users?

For people who bought relatively early and have by now likely covered the initial investment, its been a good deal.

As to paying for heavey users of the various spa and golf privileges, these benefits are limited to so much per month I believe...it is not unlimited use.

Again, the official applications state that if the program is terminated for whatever reason, the non-used consumable benefits amounts that are still outstanding for each member will be refunded. That presuposes, I guess, that the company has funds to repay members (and is not bankrupt).

So what happens after 90 days? Is it just a normal 90 day report that you would do on any other stay of over 90 days, or do you need to pay 1900 baht and get an extension of stay for an additional 90 days? I have people that are telling me that they have had the TE card for 2 years, and they say they need to pay 1900 baht every 90 days to get an extension of stay. This would not make any sense. It would make it no better then flying to the UK and getting a multi non-O from Hull for a year, or just getting a multi non-B visa from the US.

It really surprises me that otherwise astute buisness people seem to fail to grasp this :o

btw, this Thavisa's 67th thread on the Thai Elite Card dating back to before it was even launched... :o

And I think you've started 66 of those ! :D

Now lets get back to something more interesting, like more pictures of those Ministry of Culture spokes-persons (Girly Berry and others) ! :D

So what happens after 90 days? Is it just a normal 90 day report that you would do on any other stay of over 90 days, or do you need to pay 1900 baht and get an extension of stay for an additional 90 days? I have people that are telling me that they have had the TE card for 2 years, and they say they need to pay 1900 baht every 90 days to get an extension of stay. This would not make any sense. It would make it no better then flying to the UK and getting a multi non-O from Hull for a year, or just getting a multi non-B visa from the US.

It really surprises me that otherwise astute buisness people seem to fail to grasp this :o

Add up the cost of flying decent long-haul Business Class or First Class (i.e. Singapore Airlines) to the US or UK for the next TEN YEARS. (in my case 13 years until I can apply for a retirement visa). Take into account inflation at say a measly 3%.

Then add the cost of a decent hotel, and the loss of time and the inconvenience of going to some grim part of the UK to pick up a visa.

The cost is far, far higher than the cost of the Elite card.

I purchased a card from something called the Thailand Longstay Management Company about 14 months ago. The card allows me to use The Elite Card counter, Diplomatic counter or Fast Track counter both leaving any arriving at the major airports here in Thailand. I have never spent more that 1.5 minutes leaving or arriving at any Immigration counter I choose. The first year cost was Bt6,000. Two months ago I renewed but the price doubled to Bt12,000.

Information: http://www.thailongstay.co.th/home.php

Please tell us what other benefits you received for your money?

B12,000 seems a bit steep for fast track at the airport.

The company's web site is not very high on details.

And I think you've started 66 of those ! :D

that's a good point.... the reality of a review reveals that I've started but 2 of them... and that they started long before even I was a member.

I purchased a card from something called the Thailand Longstay Management Company about 14 months ago. The card allows me to use The Elite Card counter, Diplomatic counter or Fast Track counter both leaving any arriving at the major airports here in Thailand. I have never spent more that 1.5 minutes leaving or arriving at any Immigration counter I choose. The first year cost was Bt6,000. Two months ago I renewed but the price doubled to Bt12,000.

Information: http://www.thailongstay.co.th/home.php

Please tell us what other benefits you received for your money?

B12,000 seems a bit steep for fast track at the airport.

The company's web site is not very high on details.

The first year fee was Bt6,000 and in February I renewed it for double that. They said the price increase was because they hired more people, had more office space and telephones. No, I'm not kidding. Bt12,000 is far too expensive but like a junkie I was used to breezing in and out the the airports here and "had to have it". I don't know if there is an age limit for this lower tiered card. The Bt12,000 card gets you the VIP counters at the airport for international travel only but in both directions. That's it other than a discount on meals and goods in some member stores.

The Longstay cards ramp up to a cost of Bt72,000 with several levels in between. The top value cards get you your retirement visa service from the comfort of you own home and includes, limos, medical insurance and Fast Track at the airports.

I find it really strange that they do minimal marketing so no one ever knows about this company. I suspect the reason that they doubled the lowest value card is to raise cash as it is probably the only one that sells. Typical Thai business practice that may kill the whole thing.

Edited by grantbkk

Add up the cost of flying decent long-haul Business Class or First Class (i.e. Singapore Airlines) to the US or UK for the next TEN YEARS. (in my case 13 years until I can apply for a retirement visa). Take into account inflation at say a measly 3%.

Then add the cost of a decent hotel, and the loss of time and the inconvenience of going to some grim part of the UK to pick up a visa.

The cost is far, far higher than the cost of the Elite card.

You dont even need to go..

If like me you have 2 passports its 100% legal and accepted to post your passport to Hull as long as your not in Thailand.. I do it while on vacations annually..

Annual visa cost 110GBP + postage !!

• 2 weeks later...
Notwithstanding that palm, it is kinda hard to defend a product which has increased 50% in price with seemingly no added benefits.

I'm a much maligned rose-tinted glasses kind of expat, but even I am struggling to see the value here.

It's one of the strange things about Thailand. If a product doesnt sell, increase its price. I've come across that a few times in the last couple of years.

Not only no added benefits but they have actually increased the price and REDUCED the benefits.

Uhm, you remember the "buy one get one free" (First or Biz) tickets with Thai Airways?

To the biggest pleasure of many here, the "promotion" was discontinued after Thai saw its profits fall sharply last year.

But good news !!! (for TE members and their friends only) ... It is available again :D

I must admit that I didn't know myself, since I usualy travel alone, until I received the latest "privileges book".

Well, I need to travel to Europe next month. I just decided to invite a friend with me for a short weekend in Europe. Just for her to try the Thai First class and for me to have someone to talk during the trip :o (nearly a 200.000b gift from TE for my friend)

I love TE :D

Just looked at the Elite card website again and now I see its a "bargain" price up to 1.5 million from 1 million , no 5 year visa just some 90 day extension or something Oh and a 30 year life too, wow if i was looking for somewhere to feel Elite Thailand would be at the bottom of the list with this " fantastic offer" Great marketing!! :o Buy now while stocks last hurry hurry hurry. How about all the original members do they still get the 5 years visa I know there were a few here? Grandfathered in or what?

lol, nothing like getting it completely wrong. The Elite card offers a LIFETIME VISA (until you pop your clogs). You do need to report every 90 days to immigration, counted from the time you last entered Thailand. The Visa stamp in your passport lasts 5 years, after that you renew it for free.

It's also a lifetime Visa, not 30 years - if you SELL the card to someone else, the service is LIMITED to 30 years.

Their marketing indeed sucks, but the hilarious spread of false information on a forum dedicated to 'Thailand VISA issues' just frankly shows how many foreigners there are here who cannot justify the cost of buying one for themselves. If the card was just 250,000 baht I am sure many of you would still moan about it.

If you want a lifetime stay in Thailand, are under 50, are not married and have plenty of cash, then the Elite card offers hassle-free permanent stay in Thailand.

Why not give them a call, or go visit them to get the facts yourself? :D

Just looked at the Elite card website again and now I see its a "bargain" price up to 1.5 million from 1 million , no 5 year visa just some 90 day extension or something Oh and a 30 year life too, wow if i was looking for somewhere to feel Elite Thailand would be at the bottom of the list with this " fantastic offer" Great marketing!! :o Buy now while stocks last hurry hurry hurry. How about all the original members do they still get the 5 years visa I know there were a few here? Grandfathered in or what?

Its limited to 30 years if you SELL the card to someone else. Otherwise it is a lifetime membership (until you die).

It is still a 5 year renewable Visa for life (until you die). You only have to report every 90 days, no need to leave the country at all if you don't want to. Makes traveling in and out of Thailand a breeze too.

How do I know this? I just visited them last week them to inquire about the card.

:D

I looked on their website for this info and could not find it at all (5 year visa etc), They have upgraded thier website and my connection here Hua Hin is slow . Did you get it in writing?

Yes.

My contact there is Rattanawadee Wongtee, Senior Network Relations, Elite International (Europe).

I got their brochure and a letter from them clarifying everything.

I currently have the Investment Visa, but am almost certain I'll get the card later this year before I have to renew my Investment Visa.

Uhm, you remember the "buy one get one free" (First or Biz) tickets with Thai Airways?... It is available again

Let's not forget the fine print. First, Thai airways has no first class flights to some countries including the USA so it is a non starter there. Second, you must purchase a FULL FARE ticket. So it's like yes, spend 3 times more than you should for your ticket and we will give you one "free". Anyone who uses their head would come out ahead by purchasing two discounted first class tickets rather than using this privilege.

I wonder do Elite Card members on a 5 year visa still have to get a re-entry permit every time they want to leave the country?

No.

They are allowed 90 day stays on each entry. The stays can be extended at immigration for 90 days at a time at a cost of 1900 baht.

Uhm, you remember the "buy one get one free" (First or Biz) tickets with Thai Airways?... It is available again

Let's not forget the fine print. First, Thai airways has no first class flights to some countries including the USA so it is a non starter there. Second, you must purchase a FULL FARE ticket. So it's like yes, spend 3 times more than you should for your ticket and we will give you one "free". Anyone who uses their head would come out ahead by purchasing two discounted first class tickets rather than using this privilege.

First, don't worry, when there is no First you can still fly in Business. The TE offer still works :o

Personaly I don't like Biz Class (too cramped). When there is no First on Thai (flights to Singapore, for example) I fly another airline (with or without promotion, I don't care) (even if I invite a friend to go with me).

Second, I never search for any discounted ticket and I ALWAYS pay the full fare (and still can sleep without problem at night), since it gives me all the flexibility I need (And I don't need to lose time with a travel agent) (In fact I don't even look at the fare). So, the discounted tickets are a non starter for me... and most of the TE members.

I find the free ticket a nice gift from TE. It is the only privilege that I ever used. Quite cool.

I love TE :D (and I can use my head too, don't worry)

Useless to most the people on this forum. I believe I am still able to use a ELITE card. I believe my membership is for life.

Yes it's still for life, I just renewed my passport and it took about 30 mins to get a replacement visa stuck into the new passport. Valid until 2013, You get a new 5 year visa regardless of when and if the previous visa expired because its valid for life.

I can't understand these guys who say that TE is losing money on members as most people seem to only use it to get a sticky bit of paper called a visa and nothing else if you only use it for the visa part, So I'm unsure about this latest mystery. Sticky paper isn't that expensive.

However after reading all of the misunderstandings/rumors/stories/Fairy Tales/Utter Crap etc being created by none TE members they would believe the moon was made of blue chewing gum if their mate in the pub told them.

There should be a sticky post about the real benefits of the TE card so that people are not mislead by those who can't afford / don't want and/or will never buy it as they are truly misleading people.

I am an individual person, I am not a clone of anybody and I am not a clone of their drinking buddies.

I have never suggested to anyone, either in this forum or by word of mouth that the TE Card is the best way to go for them.

I bought mine for the following reasons;

I'm not a Tourist, I'm way too young to retire, I'm not a Student / Own a Business / Married blah blah :- Therefore there is NOT A VISA OPTION FOR ME or anyone else in my position.

I hate going on Visa Runs to obtain a visa that I am lying about on the application form because I don't' fit into their categories. I hate travelling on pointless border runs just to get another stamp.

The cost for me was worth it for the Visa alone, Not because of money but because of the peace of mind which is priceless.

The only people who seem to be against it are those who will never buy it for whatever reason or those with nothing better to do.

Every post I have read from a TE holder seems very happy and yet there are still Muppets who make comments like "hmm yer, they would say that wouldn't they Billy, They bought it now didn't they, I told them I did, ho humm, you'll never get me into one of those flying metal birds, I'm waiting for my minivan that's the best way"

Its annoying ! Please stop it.

Edited by EmptyMind

I would figure that pretty much everyone that purchased a TE card is happy with it, and feels that it was worth it, otherwise they would not have purchased it in the first place. They had the money to spend, probably not even a real concern for them. They may use all of the services or none of the services, but they knew what they were getting into when they purchased it, so there were not many surprises.

I would figure that pretty much everyone that purchased a TE card is happy with it, and feels that it was worth it, otherwise they would not have purchased it in the first place. They had the money to spend, probably not even a real concern for them. They may use all of the services or none of the services, but they knew what they were getting into when they purchased it, so there were not many surprises.

Well no, I'm not that happy, It's good don't get me wrong, BUT ......

I think the real moan that people have is that it's a huge stupid amount of money to pay if you just want the Visa option.

There are many many people here that DO spend a huge amount of money in Thailand and probably pay 100% more in Government Tax every year than an average Thai but can not afford the 1M or 1.5M outlay on the dam_n card which is crazy.

I think that you will find that this is the main reason why pple hate the card and I agree, I have basically thrown away 1M to just stay here and I will probably fund the government a huge amount in tax while I live here.

I dont fit into a visa option, there is no Visa for me, so I have to blow 1M for the card and will pay more tax .... blah blah

I do like Thailand, I do want to live in Thailand however having to spend 1.5M to stay here and spend your hard earned cash is really taking the piss isn't it, I think thats the real reason why the dam_n this has so much negative comments.

And Uff, Double edit, No I dont agree, "They had the money to spend, probably not even a real concern for them"

I had to think long and hard to save and swap, I just worked hard and got the cash, It's a HUGE layout for me, But I like Thailand, I like to live here, This was my only real option.

Do I think it was value for money, YES, Do I think it was taking the piss to have to spend that amount to stay somewhere to spend money, YES

Am I happy about it ? NO

But what other option is there LOL

Edited by EmptyMind

I can't understand these guys who say that TE is losing money on members as most people seem to only use it to get a sticky bit of paper called a visa and nothing else if you only use it for the visa part, So I'm unsure about this latest mystery. Sticky paper isn't that expensive.

These guys that say the TE is losing money are the guys from the company that operates the TE.

However after reading all of the misunderstandings/rumors/stories/Fairy Tales/Utter Crap etc being created by none TE members they would believe the moon was made of blue chewing gum if their mate in the pub told them.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of the misinformation too. There was even someone on another thread recently who called out a member with a snide remark for not knowing the rules. Needless to say the member was actually correct all along...

There should be a sticky post about the real benefits of the TE card so that people are not mislead by those who can't afford / don't want and/or will never buy it as they are truly misleading people.

Agreed. I've had a look at the main TV homepage and I can see explanations of tourist, non-imm, residency, WP etc, but nothing about TE's Special Entry visa.

I'd be happy to draw something up for TV if asked.

These guys that say the TE is losing money are the guys from the company that operates the TE.

Agreed too, but I don't necessarily believe TE has to make money as long as the scheme brings in the extra FDI (on an individual, sub-BOI, level) and tourist-spend that was the whole point of the exercise in the first place. That is of course a much harder metric to evaluate - they did a survey of members a year or so ago to try and get a better understanding of this, but I don't know if the results were published. From my perspective, Thailand has made millions more out of me (on top of the TE fee) than it would have got were it not for the scheme.

when there is no First you can still fly in Business. The TE offer still works :o

According to Thailand Elite that is absolutely false. No first class, no privilege. If you have information that indicates otherwise, please provide.

and I can use my head too

On that note, doesn't TE gives you star alliance gold? Thus you can buy a business class ticket and get a free upgrade to first. Isn't that a better way to go? Just curious of your take on that option.

On the other hand, trully wealthy foreigners having business in thailand (good position such as Bendix, or owner of SME as I know some) will simply discard the card because it does not give and bang for the bucks... The rest of us anyway can not afford to throw 1 M bht by the window, as we all know regulations may changes at one moment or another (life time .... anyone here have ever buy an appartment that he/she planned to let to grand kids after he/she pass away? noone can even be sure he/she will still owne legally the appartment in 6 month, nor if she or he will be able to come legally to enjoy what they bought, so a card even elite... sound a big bet to me)

I agree. I may not be extremely wealthy, but my company can sure pay for one for me. We discussed it, but I decided not to as I thought the price was not worth the benefits. And there si no telling if the benefits it does offer will really extend very far into the future.

when there is no First you can still fly in Business. The TE offer still works :o

According to Thailand Elite that is absolutely false. No first class, no privilege. If you have information that indicates otherwise, please provide.

On that note, doesn't TE gives you star alliance gold? Thus you can buy a business class ticket and get a free upgrade to first. Isn't that a better way to go? Just curious of your take on that option.

You might be right about the Biz tickets, I don't know, I did not check with them, I only fly First. Sorry if I made a mistake :D

I indeed have a ROP gold card (and another from another alliance). I use my ROP miles on domestic travel only, since it is the easiest to book on their website. I don't use free upgrades on international routes because it is a question of choice. I Prefer to pay full price, have full flexibility (I change my plans very often) and since it is a full fare ticket I am served first when a problem occurs. But again, if there were no TE offer, no ROP or anything, I would still do the same.

As I said, the TE offer is a "cool gift" for my friends when I have an occasion to bring them over on a trip... No more than that.

I use my head for more important things than plane tickets :D

Exactly its so strange, I guess as usual someone at the top is taking the cream off the cake hence the 50% hike in cost.

Well, On the Gold Card, It was still in operation when I thought about joining and about 2 days before I joined it was withdrew so there is no longer a Thai Airways Gold Card given to members. (You do get a very nice pin in a box though which is a bit of a piss take, I think I used mine to pick my toe nails)

About the flights, In their latest book of privileges that arrived a few days ago,

1. Purchase a full fare Thai Royal First Class ticket on International routes and receive a same complimentary companion ticket.

2. 25% Discount on Full Fare Royal Silk Class ticket on domestic routes operated by Thai only.

That is ALL that is mentioned about flights so when you say "No first class, no privilege" then it MAYBE true but unless anyone calls them then you won't know because there is absolutely nothing mentioned about it in the book.

Just those 2 lines I copied and that's all.

I wouldn't rely too much on the website btw, It's often wrong.

I indeed have a ROP gold card (and another from another alliance). I use my ROP miles on domestic travel only

You do not need to use miles to upgrade. Below is from the TG web site. And unlike the TE privilege, the TG gold privilege is not restricted to buying a full fare ticket. Thus you can buy a cheap business class ticket anywhere at any price and fly first class.

Complimentary Gold Upgrades

With our compliments you can enjoy a round-trip upgrade from the original paid class of service, from Economy Class to Royal Silk Class, or from Royal Silk Class to Royal First Class.

there is no longer a Thai Airways Gold Card given to members.

That must be disappointing. That seemed like one thing you could point to and say that's a place where one could get excellent value everytime they fly. It is strange the TE web site is still advertising this as one of the benefits!

25% Discount on Full Fare Royal Silk Class ticket on domestic routes operated by Thai only.

Budget carriers offer business class for a fraction of Thai Airways price. Thus, if the goal is to save money then using this privilege is counter productive just like the buy one get one "free" first class. And quality wise, having flown business class in TG and budget carriers, I found Nok Air to have the best business class in the country though you do have to pay 80 baht in flight for your snacks which is hard to resist from those ultra cute flight attendants.

I indeed have a ROP gold card (and another from another alliance). I use my ROP miles on domestic travel only

You do not need to use miles to upgrade. Below is from the TG web site. And unlike the TE privilege, the TG gold privilege is not restricted to buying a full fare ticket. Thus you can buy a cheap business class ticket anywhere at any price and fly first class.

Uhmf... Indeed I do not need to use miles to upgrade... since I do not need to upgrade. As I said, I pay the full First class fare all the time (They don't have any more class to upgrade to) (why are we speaking about upgrades anyway? :D ).

I like to use my miles on free domestic (business) tickets, every time I hop to Bangkok for a dinner or a party. Quick reservation, no headache and I get rid of those miles.

The TG Gold offer is very nice too, but it is a single upgrade per "gold term" (2 years). It has nothing to do with the TE offer. It is a gift from TG.

The TE offer is DIFFERENT. You buy a ticket they give you another one for a friend (nothing to do with an upgrade, does it?).

Complimentary Gold Upgrades

With our compliments you can enjoy a round-trip upgrade from the original paid class of service, from Economy Class to Royal Silk Class, or from Royal Silk Class to Royal First Class.

there is no longer a Thai Airways Gold Card given to members.

That must be disappointing. That seemed like one thing you could point to and say that's a place where one could get excellent value everytime they fly. It is strange the TE web site is still advertising this as one of the benefits!

I got mine before to join TE :D

25% Discount on Full Fare Royal Silk Class ticket on domestic routes operated by Thai only.

Budget carriers offer business class for a fraction of Thai Airways price. Thus, if the goal is to save money then using this privilege is counter productive just like the buy one get one "free" first class. And quality wise, having flown business class in TG and budget carriers, I found Nok Air to have the best business class in the country though you do have to pay 80 baht in flight for your snacks which is hard to resist from those ultra cute flight attendants.

Aaarrgh! Business class on a budget carrier. What a comparison :o

By the way, who spoke about "saving money"??? :D