Teaching Computer

Hi folks,

I ve just got a teaching position at a gouvernment school (mattayom), as a computer teacher.

I ll teach microsoft office, making a simple website, and some basic stuffs.

Actually, I used to teach english, got a degree and TEFL, but I ve never taught computer before.

The head of the english department really wanted to hire me, but I ve been honest with her regarding my computer skills.

I guess I can handle a computer class, but since they have no curriculum (only in thai, and it s pretty poor) or courses syllabus, I m a bit confused...

Does anybody teach computer here ? do you have any advice where I can find some ressource, worksheet, lessons plan ?

Thanks in advance,

I'd just like to point out, as an aside- since we've had some problems with this lately- that the OP is French- teaching about computers- so we don't need remarks about grammar and spelling, please.

OP, you don't seem confident about computer skills. I imagine you can find resources online (it is a computer-related topic, after all), but may I ask: if even *you* don't feel you have strong computer skills, how do you feel you are ready to teach a computer class? Looking back in your posts, I see questions about life-experience degrees, etc. Perhaps it is time you signed up for some kind of real-life training or further education? Just a thought.

In any case, I'm not a computer teacher and I'm afraid I don't have any resource links for you. I'd suggest you buy one of those "MS Office For Dummies" type books and use exercises from there as an inspiration for work assignments in your class, depending on their age levels.

"S"

Sanchobkk,

I assume you're working for an English Programme. Computer Studies officialy doesn't exist. It's a part of the subject "Occupation & Technology" and is called Information Technology. At most English Programmes this subject is taught under the name Computer Studies by teaching MS Office programmes, Adobe Photoshop and website design. This depends on the level.

Below you will find a link to the official Thai Curriculum.

xxx://xxx.ajarnforum.net/vb/attachments/resource-pool/21d1186809215-basic-education-curriculum-occupations-technology.doc

This is the Standard 4.1 (Information Technology)

Understand, see the value of and use the technological process in searching for information, acquiring knowledge, communicating, and solving problem at work, with efficiency, productivity and virtue.

Unfortunately, the curriculum doesn't say a thing about the computer programmes mentioned above. The best thing to do is to make a proposal for the Head of the Department and ask for agreement.

Good luck,

Stamp

May I contribute to this as well ? The OP could try some of these websites:

http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/greenwich/ac...primary%20menu/

~ scroll down to Support Materials section and click on whatever it is you want to teach. Some good stuff here if you take a few minutes to search around.

http://www.lgfl.net/lgfl/leas/greenwich/ac...of%20work/menu/

~ Schemes of Work for ICT based on the English National Curriculum and provided by Greenwich LEA. This link is for Primary School years 1 - 6 and covers basics. If you click on a theme you want to teach, you'll get lesson plans and supporting handouts. Could be useful for teaching correct language terms to L2 kids.

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/ict/ict1.htm

~ Some good bits and pieces here if you need to get the kids to practise certain ICT skills. Again, aimed at primary years, but useful nonetheless.

http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/ict/index.htm

~ Love this site ! Use the index and scroll down to find what you're looking for, e.g. Website Creation. Great handouts and nice, clear instructions for you as a teacher and the kids. Resources for PowerPoint, Excel Spreadsheets, e-mails, etc. are also available.

http://www.w3schools.com/

~ Another poster threw this up a while back and it looks useful but I haven't used it yet. I'm not an ICT teacher but gotta say, it looks higher level than your regular webpage design site.

Hope some of this helps. If you have anything more specific you need to teach, post again and I'll ask my colleagues.

:o

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

Yes, thanks a lot mates,

and yes, i m gonna work for an english program, as They dont really have the curriculum, I dont really know how to start.

Actually, i was looking for some easy tutorials with sample to follow, as the students have to make some project in each related software.

making a webiste using dreamweaver, ok, but how to teach it step by step avoiding chaos ?

any advice would be welcome,

sancho

Yes, thanks a lot mates,

and yes, i m gonna work for an english program, as They dont really have the curriculum, I dont really know how to start.

Actually, i was looking for some easy tutorials with sample to follow, as the students have to make some project in each related software.

making a webiste using dreamweaver, ok, but how to teach it step by step avoiding chaos ?

any advice would be welcome,

sancho

Start out with what they already know (you might be surprised!) - starting the computer, files / folders and how to ceate them, etc. The parts of the computer and what each part does (maybe you can get a computer and pull it apart and show the children.

Basically yuou would need to make up a series of lesson plans from basic to advanced for each grade, and then start off in the series based on what the students already know. You need to assess this as there's no point in teaching old stuff they already know. So you might want to find old lesson plans or course outlines that have already been taught in previous years at the school and use that as a basis for a curriculum. If you can't get it you will have to make it yourself I guess. Just make the teaching sequence flow and build on previous knowledge from previous lessons.

I am a computer dummy, but there is one essential networking that you must have on a Thai campus: social networking with the local Thai computer guy. Get on his good side. Mine was Billy Bob, and without his assistance, I could have been sabotaged. Do him some favors, compliment him, learn from him.