New House Finished!

cheynewalk

Finally, after 3 months living with the in-laws our house near Fang will be finished today.

2 bedrooms with ensuites (1 has a bath), lounge,dining room, laundry, kitchen, patio, carport, 2 and half metre fence, turfed yard with trees, fully furnished, air-conditioned with views both sides to the mountains. All for the princely sum of 1.2 million baht!

Incredibly cheap, so much so it's almost embarrassing. We're taking the builder and his workers to Chai Prakharn for mukothai tonight. Only downside is the lady of the house consulted a fortune teller who told her not to move in until 15th April.

1.2 million baht for a 2-bedroom house sure sounds expensive to me... About 700,000 baht sounds about right...

So, to you it sounds like he paid about 70% (1.2/.7=1.71) too much? How can you know? The price depends on what was built. How many square meters of house? How many square wa of land was walled and landscaped. Many levels of quality. Double walls? Type of flooring, windows, doors, hardware and plumbing fixtures? Fully furnished with solid teak or particle board furniture? There are so many variables of quality and size which were not specified and can change what is a reasonable price by significant amounts. Come on Ajan, from what he said he might even have central air conditioning.

I do not want him to spec his house for us but I see no reason to suggest that he did not get good value.

I'd be waiting 6 months before I started celebrating.

Things can look good at first but deteriorate rapidly if they aren't done right.

All the more reason to start celebrating right away, I say -- if you wait, you might not ever have a chance! :o

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your house.

Did you live in or near Cheyne Walk?

I lived in Bramerton Street just round the corner on the King's Road and drank for years in the Cross Keys in Lawrence Street right on Cheyne Walk. Even got seduced by Molly Parkin in Keith Richards' house right on the Walk and had to climb out in the night to escape her clutches. George Best, Robert Robinson, Harry Fowler, all local friends there.

1.2 million baht for a 2-bedroom house sure sounds expensive to me... About 700,000 baht sounds about right...

So, to you it sounds like he paid about 70% (1.2/.7=1.71) too much? How can you know? The price depends on what was built. How many square meters of house? How many square wa of land was walled and landscaped. Many levels of quality. Double walls? Type of flooring, windows, doors, hardware and plumbing fixtures? Fully furnished with solid teak or particle board furniture? There are so many variables of quality and size which were not specified and can change what is a reasonable price by significant amounts. Come on Ajan, from what he said he might even have central air conditioning.

I do not want him to spec his house for us but I see no reason to suggest that he did not get good value.

maybe Ajarn was the architect.

btw. congratulations on the new house. Lets have an unofficial Thai Visa party so we all can appreciate your new house. :o

how long and how expensive is a piece of string? i bought two four-door cars for a toal of 2.6 million Baht. is that expensive or cheap? i sure hope you are not teaching maths or any other science. actually your input "qualifies" you not to teach anything! :o

Oops! I forgot about the housewarming party bit. No, not really. I have to go back to Australia and sort out selling my house back there and when i get back we hope to organise something.

My user name "cheynewalk" is named after an Australian racehorse that I won a small fortune on at Warwick Farm Racecourse in Sydney in 1978. I won $10,000, which was a bit over a year's wages to me in those days. I promptly blew $9,000 of it trying to "set myself up for life" that afternoon at the age of 19 years. I went home with $1,000.