Two South Korean Women Found Dead On Larn Island

libya 115

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody got any statistics on the murder rate( or should we say suspicious deaths) of Farangs in Thailand. How does it compare to other places? I bet its real bad!

If Thailands tourists stop coming the people of Thailand can stand up take a bow and say "Mai pen rai" Time for the people of Thailand to say "enough" start asking question? It may happen ,but only after things have gone wrong, when the tourists stop coming and the rich start to notice there wealth evaporating.

Posted by another on the Phuket Forum, British Govt. web site says you are 5 times more likely to be murdered in Thailand than in GB. (Applies to Thais and Foreigners)

If you remember when those russian girls were killed in jomtien, they seem to follow

this strange pattern of trying to dissemble by exploring every possible theory but the

most obvious one. they said first the russian girls had mafia connections, and then they

said maybe they were prostitutes, and then finally some direct witness came forward

and they called it what it was, murder. with these korean girls it's a double-suicide or

possibly they were working in pattaya. can't wait to hear what the next revelation is. :o

Posted by another on the Phuket Forum, British Govt. web site says you are 5 times more likely to be murdered in Thailand than in GB. (Applies to Thais and Foreigners)

That's an unbelievable stat. Do you have a link to that? I'm a Thai and feel the stat doesn't represent the truth. Thailand is not the safest country on earth but it's far from being as bad as some have claimed.

It appears the pics are from lo tide on an isolated rocky beach, and from reported debri, where parties take place

Heads bashed in- but drowned? So unconcious when tide came in with hands tied to prevent them from swimming?

Dressed so probably not raped?

2 young women hanging out with somebodies that turned violent?

Tearing out the passport page, killer was connected to them somehow and did not want them immediately id'd?????

If you remember when those russian girls were killed in jomtien, they seem to follow

this strange pattern of trying to dissemble by exploring every possible theory but the

most obvious one. they said first the russian girls had mafia connections, and then they

said maybe they were prostitutes, and then finally some direct witness came forward

and they called it what it was, murder. with these korean girls it's a double-suicide or

possibly they were working in pattaya. can't wait to hear what the next revelation is. :o

It's been pointed out already that Pattaya City News was the only news source that reported the murders as a "double-suicide" and no one seemed to have any explanation as to why their report differed so much from other news outlets. I understand that you are upset with this news, but please keep an open mind. Don't just have your mind set on Thailand or the Thai police forever being stupid or incompetent.

Edited by ThNiner

That's an unbelievable stat. Do you have a link to that? I'm a Thai and feel the stat doesn't represent the truth. Thailand is not the safest country on earth but it's far from being as bad as some have claimed.

Yes , ( btw are you a Thai pilot?? Please E mail me if you are , I need testimony about HKT ATC)

Here's the link ..Posted by Emporer Tud, Thread :" The Death of Ms Hanna

Backlund"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/with-so-many-britons-murdered-in-thailand-why-does-our-government-not-warn-of-the-dangers-faced-there-769640.html

exerpt: <<<<<On average, about 50 civilian UK nationals are murdered around the world each year (excluding terrorist attacks). This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores.>>>>>>

Edited by MustaphaMond

Yes , btw are you a Thai pilot?? Please E mail me if you are , I need testimony about HKT ATC

Here's the link ..Posted by Emporer Tud @ " The Death of Ms Hanna Backlund"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/with-so-many-britons-murdered-in-thailand-why-does-our-government-not-warn-of-the-dangers-faced-there-769640.html

I'm not a Pilot. I'm still in school. Anyway, from the article above, it also says

but adds that this is only an estimate. (There are thought to be about 50,000 British resident in the country at present.) "To create the kind of advice needed on murder rates would require a greater statistical base and more research,"

I've also found the source of that stat. It's from here:

NationMaster Murders (per capita)

And here's their source (which is hardly up-to-date):

Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems, covering the period 1998 - 2000 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)
Edited by ThNiner

The figures are more easy to digest here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_homicide_rate

Indeed the rate has not been measured since 2000, but is there any reason to assume there has been a significant decrease in the murder rate in LOS? Anecdotal evidence suggests it is rising.

I understand that, for some of you, only anecdotal evidence or hearsay or rumours are enough to convince you that Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries on earth (or Thais are the stupidest and most racist people.) But I just need some concrete and up-to-date evidence. That's all.

Good point! Stats are from 8 years ago -( approx) 5 times more likely in 2000, so I would guesstimate it is higher now??

It isn't just Thailand but also western bureaucracies that feed the Thai tourist machine- big business with innocent tourists paying the price.

Leading tourists on that this is a happy, safe place is what I consider criminal culpability. Phuket Gazette just published this week that Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand for " Personal Security" worse even that the South, but there is no mention of it , is there?

If it weren't for the sexually available women, surely T Land's greatest commodity, I seriously doubt there would be nearly as much tourism- or that so many ex pats would put up with the immigration follies.

From the Pattaya Daily News April 15th, 2008 - DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FURTHER INFO ON THIS CASE. Looks like the Pattaya Police are taking the easy way out again.

CHONBURI POLICE COMMISSIONER PUZZLES THE DEATH OF TWO KOREAN WOMEN

Police commissioner of Chonburi province and his team have inspected the crime scene where the two Korean women were found dead on Koh Larn (Coral Island) but still cannot clarify if they had committed suicide or were murdered.

At present, there is still no indication to the cause of the death of the victims, whose bodies were found at Tha-Rai beach on Koh Larn. Officers from the Korean Embassy of Thailand and Korean police had come to identify that the victims, Miss Park Ji Hee and Miss Park Mi Hee (28) were twins. Korean officials were not convinced that they had committed suicide or killed each other like Pattaya police had suspected.

Besides, the picture in the passport of Miss Park Ji Hee was torn out and the passport was left in her shoulder bag which was dumped into the woods about 100 meters away from the body, there were wounds on one of the victim's forehead and face consistent with being hit by a hard object.

On April 15, 2008, at 5pm, Pol.Maj.Gen.Bandit Khunajak, Chonburi commissioner, Pol.Col.Thana Yuttithamdamrong, Deputy commissioner, Pol.Col.Nopadol Wongnom, Pattaya superintendent, Pol.Lt.Col.Sumet Harnwisai, the Pattaya investigator and his team have spent 30 minutes inspecting the scene of the incident once again. Pol.Maj.Gen. Bundit revealed that many witnesses on the Island had said that the victims were wandering around the Island without using Baht-Bus or Motorbike Taxi’s. However, police found out that they had been renting an apartment in Chiangmai for the past 2 years. They recently arrived in Pattaya and were staying at a hotel in Soi Buo Khao, South Pattaya.

On April 10th , they took a 9 o'clock ferry from Bali Hai Pier to Koh Larn and were found dead the next morning. Initially, Police had assumed that they had committed suicide. The police are waiting for the autopsy results to clarify the cause of the death. However the possibility of the victims being murdered has not being rule out.

In the evening on the same day, Korean Embassy officials , accompanied by the parents of the victims met with Pol.Col.Nopadol Wongnom, Pattaya superintendent, but further details have not been released.

"May 2006...."

Wonder what they were doing in Thailand for almost 2 years.

Highlighted in the above quote "LaoPo"

Rest in Peace Ladies :o

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 11th 2008

...one of the women had died after her head was smashed against a stone.

It is then thought the body was dragged into the water and the second woman who is thought to have killed her, tied her hands together with the victim and it is thought she then committed suicide by drowning, using the weight of the dead woman to pull her under the water.

This "newspaper" shouldn't even be in a toilet for wiping your backside on. It is the paper equivalent of an Internet troll - it writes rubbish to attract publicity and - they hope - to attract buyers.

Quotes from it should be banned from this forum just as trolls are.

Not related to this thread, but I think only a certain kind of tourists/expats would say or believe that prostitutes are Thailand's greatest commodity. I'm glad if my government raises their immigration standards to weed some unwanted people out.

Edited by ThNiner

Good point! Stats are from 8 years ago -( approx) 5 times more likely in 2000, so I would guesstimate it is higher now??

It isn't just Thailand but also western bureaucracies that feed the Thai tourist machine- big business with innocent tourists paying the price.

Leading tourists on that this is a happy, safe place is what I consider criminal culpability.Phuket Gazette just published this week that Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand for " Personal Security" worse even that the South, but there is no mention of it , is there?

If it weren't for the sexually available women, surely T Land's greatest commodity, I seriously doubt there would be nearly as much tourism- or that so many ex pats would put up with the immigration follies.

1. If you, as a woman, also think and feel that Phuket is the most dangerous place in Thailand why on earth are you still there ?

2. "sexually available women, surely Thailand's greatest commodity"... Quite bold and it's a statement which is clearly utter nonsense. I suggest you study the economy of Thailand a bit more before making such comments.

Well, MustaphaMond, I dare to say that there are a LOT more non-sexually driven tourists coming to Thailand for a normal holiday than 'your' sexual tourists. If you don't believe me I suggest you write a letter to the TAT* and ask them for numbers instead writing nonsense.

I have the feeling that you are bashing upon the country that welcomed you as a guest.... :o

Do you write the same letters on an Expat Forum in the US every time a girl is murdered ? I doubt it.

* http://www.tourismthailand.org/

Note: apart from that, your comments (as well as mine) are completely off topic with the death of the Korean twins. Their deaths are still under investigation.

LaoPo

Please moderators:

This topic needs to be visible on the main News Clippings page..

People must know how dangerous it is ...Potential tourists/victims aren't seeing this on the Pattaya forum

I also think this thread should be moved to News Clippings. I think this is a national story and not limited to Pattaya. It has so many angles and some of the governments reported perposterous are preposterous. This is NEED TO KNOW.

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 16th 2008

Investigation closed in the Korean death case from Larn Island.

We have been closely following the case from Larn Island which resulted in the death of two Korean Female Tourists. We can confirm that the Parents of the victims, who are now known to be twins, have arrived in Thailand and have formally identified their daughters.

They have been named as Miss Park Ji Hee and Miss Park Mi Hee, both aged 28. The pair have been living here in Thailand for the last 2 years and came to Larn Island by boat on 10th April at 9am. They were found dead the next morning.

It appears that evidence collected suggests a third party was not involved in their death and according to Police Major General Bundit, the Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police, who went to the scene on Tuesday Evening, head wounds on the victims appear to have been self-inflicted following a night of heavy drinking. The pair was thought to have hit their heads on rocks on the beach and when they awoke, they found themselves in the water.

One of the twins is then believed to have tied her hands together with her sister in an attempt to save both of them from the water, however due to their intoxicated state and tiredness, they are both believed to have drowned and their bodies were then washed up on the beach. The parents of the deceased have reviewed the evidence and agree with the current Police theory which is backed up with toxicology reports and post mortem results. Police have now closed the case.

Libya 115 says

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is the most absurd news story I have ever known. First; double suicide, then murder and suicide, then double murder, now accidental death. Rubbish. These two Korean women were living in LOS for two years. What were they doing? Did they have business interests? Did they have business partners? This story stinks. Investigation: NOW!

So now Pattaya police say 'Case Closed' 'accidental death by drowning.'

1. Why was woman #1 found face down with her hands tied behind her back with a head wound?

2. Why was one of the victim's passport found with the photograph torn out?

3. The spot where the bodies were found was 50 metres from the sea where no water could reach.

4. The brown cloth used to tie the hands of one individual. Why?

5. Why has there been no proper inquiry and why have the twin girls parents readily accepted the accidental death theory?

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: April 16th 2008

Investigation closed in the Korean death case from Larn Island.

We have been closely following the case from Larn Island which resulted in the death of two Korean Female Tourists. We can confirm that the Parents of the victims, who are now known to be twins, have arrived in Thailand and have formally identified their daughters.

They have been named as Miss Park Ji Hee and Miss Park Mi Hee, both aged 28. The pair have been living here in Thailand for the last 2 years and came to Larn Island by boat on 10th April at 9am. They were found dead the next morning.

It appears that evidence collected suggests a third party was not involved in their death and according to Police Major General Bundit, the Commander of Chonburi Provincial Police, who went to the scene on Tuesday Evening, head wounds on the victims appear to have been self-inflicted following a night of heavy drinking. The pair was thought to have hit their heads on rocks on the beach and when they awoke, they found themselves in the water.

One of the twins is then believed to have tied her hands together with her sister in an attempt to save both of them from the water, however due to their intoxicated state and tiredness, they are both believed to have drowned and their bodies were then washed up on the beach. The parents of the deceased have reviewed the evidence and agree with the current Police theory which is backed up with toxicology reports and post mortem results. Police have now closed the case.

Libya 115 says

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is the most absurd news story I have ever known. First; double suicide, then murder and suicide, then double murder, now accidental death. Rubbish. These two Korean women were living in LOS for two years. What were they doing? Did they have business interests? Did they have business partners? This story stinks. Investigation: NOW!

I agree Libya, very weird and odd, but maybe we forget one thing...

The shame of the Korean parents, the lose of face; maybe both parties (parents/Korea Embassy & Police department) came to a kind of agreement that this version/story was to be published and thus 'case closed'.

It could be that there was much more to the 2-years presence in Thailand of the twins and that the parents don't want it to be known/published.

Maybe................ we will never know...

LaoPo

now we have a legitimate international news source... Agence France Presse.... with lots of factual updated information

Perhaps move to News Clipping Forum?

Please moderators:

I also think this thread should be moved to News Clippings.

:o

1. Why was woman #1 found face down with her hands tied behind her back with a head wound?

3. The spot where the bodies were found was 50 metres from the sea where no water could reach.

5. Why has there been no proper inquiry and why have the twin girls parents readily accepted the accidental death theory?

1. The most likely scenario in my mind now is a double-suicide pact that failed, then turned to murder-suicide after one woman woke up and they were both alive with head wounds.

(And that picture was probably taken after the bodies were moved and looked at)

2. Most likely, they tore up the passports so they wouldn't be identified, and so their family and friends wouldn't know they committed suicide.

3. The high tide can reach places the low tide cannot.

4. The concious woman tied the hands of the unconcious woman so they could both drown together in the sea.

5. The parents would rather this than the more obvious murder-suicide or double-suicide to avoid embarrassment and shame. The investigation has turned up evidence such as money in the pockets, empty bottles of whiskey, torn up passports, etc. which all point to the victims having done this to themselves.

You guys are too much. You seem to want this to be murder despite every single shred of hard evidence saying the exact opposite.

Edited by MisterFingers

1. The most likely scenario in my mind now is a double-suicide pact that failed, then turned to murder-suicide after one woman woke up and they were both alive with head wounds.

2. Most likely, they tore up the passports so they wouldn't be identified, and so their family and friends wouldn't know they committed suicide.

4. The concious woman tied the hands of the unconcious woman so they could both drown together in the sea.

5. The parents would rather this than the more obvious murder-suicide or double-suicide to avoid embarrassment and shame. The investigation has turned up evidence such as money in the pockets, empty bottles of whiskey, torn up passports, etc. which all point to the victims having done this to themselves.

You guys are too much. You seem to want this to be murder despite every single shred of hard evidence saying the exact opposite.

Yeah... and you should start writing fiction books...after you've seen every single shred of hard evidence :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1923126

You, Sir, know exactly as much as we do..............nothing !.....apart from what a local newspaper writes, not exactly world famous for it's first class reporting... :D

LaoPo

Yeah... and you should start writing fiction books...after you've seen every single shred of hard evidence :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1923126

You, Sir, know exactly as much as we do..............nothing !.....apart from what a local newspaper writes, not exactly world famous for it's first class reporting... :D

LaoPo

By hard evidence, I was talking about the torn up passports, the money in the pockets, the the bottles of whiskey, and the bodies themselves which indicate that no other person was involved. These items of hard evidence point to the victims doing this to themselves.

I wasn't saying that my speculations of "most likely" was in themselves hard evidence.

You're right. I know nothing besides what's written in the local papers. But the police and the family know everything. The case is closed and the family is satisfied with the conclusion.

Now why don't you tell me your reasoning for claiming this was murder by a third party, instead of just yelling, "bad, stupid police...bad stupid newspaper"

Edited by MisterFingers

Now why don't you tell me your reasoning for claiming this was murder by a third party, instead of just yelling, "bad, stupid police...bad stupid newspaper"

I never said it was murder by a third party; not even suggesting. Yelling is also not in my vocabulary.

LaoPo

The figures are more easy to digest here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_homicide_rate

Indeed the rate has not been measured since 2000, but is there any reason to assume there has been a significant decrease in the murder rate in LOS? Anecdotal evidence suggests it is rising.

I understand that, for some of you, only anecdotal evidence or hearsay or rumours are enough to convince you that Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries on earth (or Thais are the stupidest and most racist people.) But I just need some concrete and up-to-date evidence. That's all.

I said "suggests" not "has convinced me that".

Anyway I doubt that Thailand would be very keen to release murder stats for 2003 and 2004 as they would have to admit that over 2000 murders had been commited by their own police force. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7260127.stm)

now we have a legitimate international news source... Agence France Presse.... with lots of factual updated information

Please moderators:

Sad but true, if these were two western girls, we would have seen hundreds of reactions on the news clippings section of Thaivisa.

Please move this to the main page, it's disrespectful not to.

Please moderators:

Sad but true, if these were two western girls, we would have seen hundreds of reactions on the news clippings section of Thaivisa.

Please move this to the main page, it's disrespectful not to.

Apparently this hasn't made much of a story in Korea. I spoke to a buddy in Seoul about it on the weekend and there was an even worse story about a model being gang raped in Africa taking the headline.

Double suicide? Incredulous theory.