American Dies In Motorbike Accident

Cheeky Farang

American dies in motorbike accident

PATONG: An 43-year-old American tourist was killed when the motobike he was riding overshot a bend on the Patong-to-Kamala road early yesterday morning.

The dead man has been named by police as Marko Lislie Balfour. Mr Balfour had been staying at the Marine Inn, Patong Beach.

The accident happened at approximately 1:30 am on Thursday. Pol Maj Chaiyaphot Laorhumwirog of Kathu Police Station told the Gazette, “We believe he was traveling too fast and couldn’t take the bend. He wasn’t wearing a helmet and suffered severe head injuries. He died at the scene.”

Mr Balfour’s body was taken to Patong Hospital to await collection by family representatives.

Mr Balfour is the second foreigner to die in a motorbike accident in four days. On Saturday night Hans Ingemar of Sweden died after crashing on Saiyuan Rd, Rawai.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=3716

...early yesterday morning.

Not sure if it is the same in Thailand or not, but in the US it was proven that:

- most daylight motorcycle accidents are multiple vehicle, relatively low speed, alcohol is not a factor, and more often than not, the automobile driver is at fault

- most nighttime motorcycle accidents are single vehicle, relatively high speed, and more often than not, alcohol is a factor

Not polite to speak of the dead, but at 130am in Pattaya and mis-negotiating a turn as reported, one has to wonder if alcohol was a factor. RIP regardless.

body was taken to Patong Hospital to await collection by family representatives.

Recon that was slip of the tongue although doubt if anyone riding a bike in Pat at 1-30 in the morning,no helmet prob.pissed (ok..still to be proven)and going too fast would result in the same well tried and tested method of suicide.

Still sad...

:o

Where did you see it having anything to do with Pattaya.

sorry ... brain fade ... reading Phuket ... thinking Pattaya

Most of us knew what you meant!

You just have to explain yourself for the more obtuse ball busters amongst us. :o

I have to admit that since I arrived I have a morbid feeling that it's only a matter of time before I succumb to certainty of chance no matter how carefully I drive.

I too grow more fearful of such things day by day. Negotiating these roads, cursing at other drivers and narrowly avoiding soi dogs perfecting their Frogger skills are heavy burdens to wear upon one's shoulders. I need a car. Check that, a tank.

I tend to agree with you Igots, I look at each day as becoming a step closer to the inevitable crash/prang/near and/or death experience, which is odd for me as I'm usually pathalogically optomistic. My mate however, punches the air when he makes it home in one piece and starts his luck clock from zero again the very next day.

Freak-that-he-is.

I tend to agree with you Igots, I look at each day as becoming a step closer to the inevitable crash/prang/near and/or death experience, which is odd for me as I'm usually pathalogically optomistic. My mate however, punches the air when he makes it home in one piece and starts his luck clock from zero again the very next day.

Freak-that-he-is.

A truck almost ran me off the road in front of Tesco the other day. I flipped him the bird as I passed him, man it felt good, and provoked some prolonged honking in return. I hate this rule here where the biggest vehicle gets the right of way. I cringe every time I try to make a right turn on my motorbike, worrying that some meat-wallet is going to ram me from behind into an oncoming bus. Trust no one.

FTH, I forsee my name in headlines in the Phuket Gazette:

"Canadian Ex-pat on motorbike hit by wild mini-van, flattened by tour bus"

Phuket resident, Igotworms, was out on one of his standard beer runs today, when on the way back from the store, he met his maker in disguise as Patty's Visa Service mini- van. The driver of the mini-van fled the scene, and was last seen running into the forest adjacent to the road. George Farang, an acquaintance of Igots, mournfully stated, "the real tragedy here today, is all that Tiger Beer lying wasted in a pool of shattered glass. This is a sad day for beer drinkers".