What Is Your Religion?

rethaired

What is your religion?  

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most of us were born with a conscience and we should follow our conscience. Apparently some people were born not knowing right from wrong.

Rubbish....conscience is instilled in a person by the enviroment they were brought up in...

Correct... people are born not knowing right from wrong but again instilled in in them by the enviroment they were brought up in...

You seem to suggest that conscience and knowing right from wrong are genetic traits them ? By your sentence "Most of us were born with a conscience, you are saying you have a conscience ?...and people who dont are genetically inferior to you ?

Absolute twaddle...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So first Judaism is consigned to the Others category then it is justified as not a major religion based on numbers. There would have been alot more of us but Adolf and Joe made sure we remained in the minor leagues, perhaps they knew this poll was coming!

If numbers define what is major and minor then you would have to say that the UK was a minor nation based on population (the same as Thailand more or less). Forget the influence the UK has had on the world and the fact that every ex pat in Thailand speaks English as a first or second language. As a teacher Peace Blondie I am suprised at your definition.

And since Christianity and Islam both recognise Judaism does that not count?

So come on lets hear it for the Jews!!!!! Without us you probably wouldn't be freezing your bums off in a Bangkok Cinema :o .

Lets not forget good o'l Nebuchadnezzar The Great. I would rather NOT hear it for, or for that matter from. the people who adhere to a religion whom's followers believe themselves better then everyone else by virtue of their very blood alone, as "the chosen race of the divine". I have more respect for faiths that place value upon a mans word and deed and more importantly how well they match.

Thank god most people are atheists.

It is the only group of people that do not display signs of mental illness. No voices in their heads. No belief in things that can't be seen. No acceptance of men claiming to speak for something that can not be proven or seen.

It does my soul good to know that the human mind is safe from nonsense.

It is the only group of people that do not display signs of mental illness. No voices in their heads. No belief in things that can't be seen. No acceptance of men claiming to speak for something that can not be proven or seen.

I personally don't believe in a God, but I don't feel threatened by those that do. I feel no reason to accuse them of any 'mental illness' because I am not arrogant enough to discount the beliefs of other people. I am happy just to live and let live and hold my opinions lightly. It is a pity others can't do the same, but there will always be those who want to 'burn the heritics at the stake'.

I personally don't believe in a God, but I don't feel threatened by those that do. I feel no reason to accuse them of any 'mental illness' because I am not arrogant enough to discount the beliefs of other people. I am happy just to live and let live and hold my opinions lightly. It is a pity others can't do the same, but there will always be those who want to 'burn the heritics at the stake'.

Garro well said....For those people who are agnostic/athiest who start accusing people of mental illness because of their beliefs, then they are as gulity as people of the "religious cults" who are judgemental and intolerant to other peoples beliefs......

People can believe in what ever they want...even the easter bunny..provided they are not trying to push their beliefs down somebody elses throat and creating converts....or threatening to burn somebody the stake because in their eyes they are heretics for not following a certains persons beliefs or religion...

Ill start believing in a "higher being" when I see some tangible proof.....even if its the aliens coming back to visit us....

I actually believe that those people who ridicule people for having beliefs are the same type of person, who born in a different age, would be persecuting the 'non-believers. This intolerance has less to do with religion, in my opinion, and more to do with the fact that many people can't stand the idea of others thinking differently from them.

Garro, you went for the sensible approach, but it all fell apart. Your live and let live mantra works well, most of the time, but not when it comes to religion. What if a certain religion promoted 'un-healthy' relationships with kids, would you refrain from being "arrogant"?

As for mental illness, let's explore. Let's look at Jim Jones of the peoples temple, David Koresh of the Branch Davidians, Marshall Applewhite of the Heaven's gate group and many others. Heck! Many serial killers claim to hear voices or acting on gods words in order to show they are mentally unstable, yet when we hear Hillary Clinton state that she "feels the hand of god in her campaign", people applaud.

I would not persecute anyone for clinging to silly outdated ideas. I simply pity them and question their state of mind.

I feel the hand of random and undetermined actions and reactions here as I type.

I actually believe that those people who ridicule people for having beliefs are the same type of person, who born in a different age, would be persecuting the 'non-believers. This intolerance has less to do with religion, in my opinion, and more to do with the fact that many people can't stand the idea of others thinking differently from them.

They are just narrow minded garro , ignorant and not able to see the differences of fact and fiction .

One cannot ask someone who flies a bit lower to understand how up looks like , it takes time or might

never happen . I am happy to say with narrow minded people that I can walk away from them but

they cannot walk away from themselves , gives a big relief ain't ? :o

The poll is up the spout.

There are a total of 101 votes as I write this - not 150 as shown. (Unless God is up to his tricks!)

100 of the voters are shown as foreigners, it being necessary to record whether Thai or foreigner in order to vote. But the Poll suggests the 100 foreigners are all Buddhists!

Some urgent changes are required to make the Poll valid

<br />Garro, you went for the sensible approach, but it all fell apart. Your live and let live mantra works well, most of the time, but not when it comes to religion. What if a certain religion promoted 'un-healthy' relationships with kids, would you refrain from being "arrogant"?<br /><br />As for mental illness, let's explore. Let's look at Jim Jones of the peoples temple, David Koresh of the Branch Davidians, Marshall Applewhite of the Heaven's gate group and many others. Heck! Many serial killers claim to hear voices or acting on gods words in order to show they are mentally unstable, yet when we hear Hillary Clinton state that she "feels the hand of god in her campaign", people applaud.<br /><br />I would not persecute anyone for clinging to silly outdated ideas. I simply pity them and question their state of mind.<br /><br />I feel the hand of random and undetermined actions and reactions here as I type.<br />

The problem here is that you automatically rush to look at the badness in religion. What religion was Stalin and Pol-Pot? It is my belief that people were persecuted in the past, and the present, because others have felt threatened by their different beliefs. It doesn't matter that these beliefs were religious or political. Look at the previous poster who attacked Irish people for being 'brainwashed paddies'. Where does this intolerance come from? Are you telling me that religion has made people this way or is it something more sinister?

I'm actually a practicing Satanist. :o We sometimes get a bum rap from sections of the media and silly Hollywood films, but we actually have a lot of fun at meetings and events; sacrificing virgins (not available in Pattaya); saying prayers backwards; projectile vomiting; and naked orgies, etc.

You should come and join us. We don't just dress up like goths and listen to crap music all day. Satanism = fun, fun, fun.

So first Judaism is consigned to the Others category then it is justified as not a major religion based on numbers. There would have been alot more of us but Adolf and Joe made sure we remained in the minor leagues, perhaps they knew this poll was coming!

If numbers define what is major and minor then you would have to say that the UK was a minor nation based on population (the same as Thailand more or less). Forget the influence the UK has had on the world and the fact that every ex pat in Thailand speaks English as a first or second language. As a teacher Peace Blondie I am suprised at your definition.

And since Christianity and Islam both recognise Judaism does that not count?

So come on lets hear it for the Jews!!!!! Without us you probably wouldn't be freezing your bums off in a Bangkok Cinema :o .

Lets not forget good o'l Nebuchadnezzar The Great. I would rather NOT hear it for, or for that matter from. the people who adhere to a religion whom's followers believe themselves better then everyone else by virtue of their very blood alone, as "the chosen race of the divine". I have more respect for faiths that place value upon a mans word and deed and more importantly how well they match.

Actually the Chosen people is a myth perpertrated over many years as a way of justifying persecution.

The reality and the correct translation is the people who chose. According to the bible/torah/old testament God went to many peoples to ask them to follow him alone. Everyone wanted something for it. Finally he went to the Isrealites and they agreed to Gods terms.

So we don't think we are better than anyone, in fact we were the last people not the first. And also remember part of being Jewish is the requirement to do charitable works for non-jewish people. This is not to gain converts like many religions as Jews do not seek conversions, you have to seek it and it takes alot of studying.

Reference religious beliefs and psychoses:

The following is from a brief quote of a post made by a close friend of mine, sadly deceased, in the Bangkok Post forum in a thread about Christianity. He was formerly a Professor of Psychology and I recall many occasions discussing the measurable levels of psychosis displayed by fundamental Christians of our acquaintance. He, and I, were firmly of the belief that any fundamentalism in religious belief was/is almost invariably consistent with measurable levels of psychoses in those professing or evangelizing such beliefs. The frequent hearing of voices is but one manifestation of such. A psychosis celebrated by fundamental Christians if their God or jesus spoeaks to them, but requiring incarceration in a mental institution if the voices come from a different source.

Having practised in clinical psychology in the west for more than 20 years, I came to the conclusion that many fundamentalist Christian beliefs are quite damaging to mental health.Many former patients feared greatly "burning in hel_l forever", were overcome with guilt and became ineffective in relationships and at work.

In Australia, Christian missionaries did great harm to aboriginal family and cultural life causing dislocation within families, especially between parents and children.

Thailand has the Buddhist religion or philosophy for life and the Dharma taught by the Buddha is very much preferred for mental health and a peaceful lifestyle.It teaches the great human values of generosity, lovingkindness, sexual responsibility, equanimity and honesty.It does not use guilt and fear of death to control the minds of its students. It encourages all to learn wisdom from great teachers.Buddhism has no zealous,missionary intent. It "sits there" and awaits students who w ish to learn.It also allows/encourages, study of and adherence to,other religions.

Some Christian missionaries here have arrogantly asserted to me that only they know "the way". It would be better if they opened their minds and also learned about these teaching as some Christian priests and Ministers of religion are now doing around the world.

By the same token I hope you acknowledge the burden of a belief which has no basis in reality or fact. Beliefs should be questioned for the sake of evolving knowledge.

Most of us were born with a conscience and we should follow our conscience. Apparently some people were born not knowing right from wrong.

Rubbish....conscience is instilled in a person by the enviroment they were brought up in...

Correct... people are born not knowing right from wrong but again instilled in in them by the enviroment they were brought up in...

You seem to suggest that conscience and knowing right from wrong are genetic traits them ? By your sentence "Most of us were born with a conscience, you are saying you have a conscience ?...and people who dont are genetically inferior to you ?

Absolute twaddle...

I think you are VERY wrong. No, it's not genetics, it's simply something that we are born with or without. Fortunately most people are fundamentally good. How would you explain the differences in two or more siblings brought up by the same parents or family and one of them turns out to be a murdering lunatic? That's not to say that people cannot be brainwashed into becoming lunatics. It's my belief that if left alone, most people will do the right thing. Do you believe that people can be trained to be intelligent?

traveller5000, I believe questioning my own beliefs is a healthy pursuit - questioning the beliefs of others less so.

To this I somewhat agree.

Beliefs however have the tendency to "infect" others, so questioning the questionable beliefs of others forms a defence against such types of infection.

Many Buddhists do not consider themselves to be following a religion, and they don't believe in a God. Should they select atheist in this poll?

good question; I consider myself to be an atheist and a buddhist

buddhism is not a religion, although they turned it into one, but the original teaching are just that teachings, no dogma's etc.

anyway, what about confusius, he's probably more important now then ever ...

traveller5000, I believe questioning my own beliefs is a healthy pursuit - questioning the beliefs of others less so.

that sounds good in theory ... what about Hitler's believes ... shall we question it or not?

once we figured that one out, we might want to conclude that questioning somebody others believe can be very, very important !!

Edited by LinkPopularity

that sounds good in theory ... what about Hitler's believes ... shall we question it or not?

once we figured that one out, we might want to conclude that questioning somebody others believe can be very, very important !!

Wow, seven pages before somebody finally mentioned Hitler - must be some type of record :o

I do not know what Hitler believed, as it is hard to understand the mind of a psychopath. Belief in itself is not really the problem. It is when people are given power to inflict their beliefs on others that the real problem starts.

Wow, seven pages before somebody finally mentioned Hitler - must be some type of record :o

I do not know what Hitler believed, as it is hard to understand the mind of a psychopath. Belief in itself is not really the problem. It is when people are given power to inflict their beliefs on others that the real problem starts.

Actually Garro I managed to crowbar both Hitler and stalin into page 5. Is this a record???

Actually Garro I managed to crowbar both Hitler and stalin into page 5. Is this a record???

dam_n, no. I think page 5 is about standard. :D

Hitler was a (sometimes practicing) Catholic.

So we don't think we are better than anyone

Well, the truth is many of us do think we are better, not superior human beings of course, but we love our values and think our values are superior, kind of like Thai people. Don't lie. We are a tribal people, an ancient people. We are born into being Jewish and it is not just a religion, it is an identity. We don't recruit, we don't want you, so deal with it. We like our values better. We value ethics, intellect, and scholarship. Yes, some people hate us for our success but I think we as a people have paid the price for this and have earned the right to be who and what we are. Shalom.

BTW, I am agnostic and believe in no religious doctrine whatsoever.

Edited by Jingthing

Hitler was a (sometimes practicing) Catholic.

Also a teetotal, non-smoking vegetarian. A paragon of virtue to some, probably.

post-32068-1208507650_thumb.jpg

<br />
So we don't think we are better than anyone
<br />Well, the truth is many of us do think we are better, not superior human beings of course, but we love our values and think our values are superior, kind of like Thai people. Don't lie. We are a tribal people, an ancient people. We are born into being Jewish and it is not just a religion, it is an identity. We don't recruit, we don't want you, so deal with it. We like our values better. We value ethics, intellect, and scholarship. Yes, some people hate us for our success but I think we as a people have paid the price for this and have earned the right to be who and what we are. Shalom.<br /><br />BTW, I am agnostic and believe in no religious doctrine whatsoever.<br />

Good luck to you. I personally feel belonging to a group that excluded others would go against my own personal values. I am more interested in shared humanity.

There would have been alot more of us but Adolf and Joe made sure we remained in the minor leagues

Are you aware that there were many Jews and Mischlinge (part-Jews) in the third Reich? Which makes an absolute mockery of the claim that Hitler wanted to exterminate each and every Jew on earth!

This is all documented in Bryan Rigg's book, Hitler's Jewish Soldiers, published by University of Kansas Press, and Winner of the 2003 Colby Award (William E. Colby Military Writers Symposium).

Also, why do you think Jewish bankers financed the Nazis?

"(I)t would be an interesting study in psychology to analyze the motives, other than fear and cowardice, that have prompted Jewish bankers to lend money to Germany as they are now doing. It is in part their money that is being used by the Hitler regime in its reckless, wicked campaign of propaganda to make the world anti-Semitic; with that money they have invaded Great Britain, the United States and other countries where they have established newspapers, subsidized agents and otherwise are spending untold millions in spreading their infamous creed. The suggestion that they use that money toward paying the honest debts they have repudiated is answered only by contemptuous sneers and silence. Meantime the infamous campaign goes on unabated with ever increasing intensity to the everlasting disgrace of the Jewish bankers who are helping to finance it and of the weaklings who are doing nothing effective to check it."

- Samuel Untermeyer, as quoted in: "Text of Untermyer's Address", The New York Times, (7 August 1933), p. 4.

Mr. Untermeyer, if you haven't heard, was a leading Zionist Jew of the day.

----

I agree that the Jewish contribution to the world far outweighs their number.

Hmmm...

"The Jewish theory that the Goyim envy the superior ability of Jews is not borne out by the facts. Most Goyim, in fact, deny that the Jew is superior, and point in evidence to his failure to take the first prizes: he has to be content with the seconds. No Jewish composer has ever come within miles of Bach, Beethoven and Brahms; no Jew has ever challenged the top-flight painters of the world, and no Jewish scientist has ever equalled Newton, Darwin, Pasteur or Mendel. In the latter bracket such apparent exceptions as Ehrlich, Freud and Einstein are only apparent. Freud was nine-tenths quack, and there is sound reason for believing that even Einstein will not hold up: in the long run his curved space may be classed with the psychosomatic bumps of Gall and Spurzheim. But whether this inferiority of the Jew is real or only a delusion, it must be manifest that it is generally accepted. The Goy does not, in fact, believe that the Jew is better than the non-Jew; the most he will admit is that the Jew is smarter at achieving worldly success. But this he ascribes to sharp practices, not to superior abilities."

- H.L. Mencken, Minority Report

----