What Is Your Religion?

rethaired

What is your religion?  

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, but what you believe isn't necessarily what religion you practice.

True

I've done your belief-o-matic before garro, but I still consider myself non-religious and do not practice nor have I ever practiced any form of religion.

What did you get again? Witch wasn't it? :D

I attend funerals with my husband, have attended Buddhist events at the Wat but do not consider myself a practicing Budhhist either.

No choice in the poll for Non-practising nothing :o

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but what you believe isn't necessarily what religion you practice.

True

I've done your belief-o-matic before garro, but I still consider myself non-religious and do not practice nor have I ever practiced any form of religion.

What did you get again? Witch wasn't it? :D

I attend funerals with my husband, have attended Buddhist events at the Wat but do not consider myself a practicing Budhhist either.

post-4641-1208342720.gif

Nah, I am a bleeding heart liberal :D

1. Secular Humanism (100%)

2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)

3. Liberal Quakers (75%)

4. Nontheist (73%)

5. Theravada Buddhism (69%)

6. Neo-Pagan (63%)

So, I guess that still shows the poll is lacking "non-practising nothing" as a choice :D

Yes, but what you believe isn't necessarily what religion you practice. I've done your belief-o-matic before garro, but I still consider myself non-religious and do not practice nor have I ever practiced any form of religion. I attend funerals with my husband, have attended Buddhist events at the Wat but do not consider myself a practicing Budhhist either.

I still say if you answer the questions correctly, you don't get such distorted results.

1. Nontheist (100%)

2. Secular Humanism (100%)

3. Neo-Pagan (62%)

4. Theravada Buddhism (50%)

5. Unitarian Universalism (50%)

6. Liberal Quakers (0%)

7. New Age (0%)

8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (0%)

9. Taoism (0%)

10. Bahá'í Faith (0%)

11. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (0%)

12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (0%)

13. Eastern Orthodox (0%)

14. Hinduism (0%)

15. Islam (0%)

16. Jainism (0%)

17. Jehovah's Witness (0%)

18. Mahayana Buddhism (0%)

19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (0%)

20. New Thought (0%)

21. Orthodox Judaism (0%)

22. Orthodox Quaker (0%)

23. Reform Judaism (0%)

24. Roman Catholic (0%)

25. Scientology (0%)

26. Seventh Day Adventist (0%)

I would like to know more about the religious make-up of the foreigners in Chiang Mai.

PS: Practising (one or more in one week)

Aren't you forgetting Judaism? There are lots of Jews here in Chiangmai. HAPPY PESACH TO ALL

Perhaps, but if so, it was in addition to forgetting the much larger religious group of Hindus, as well as Taoists, Sikhs and, no doubt, many others. To be fair, though, he or she probably did not so much forget any of them as simply to dis them by denying them a category of their own and lumping them into 'other'.

Hi all,

I really do not understand why people need to follow some kind of religion.

What is it?

Insecurity?

Why you need to study for example Budhist teachings to know how to be good for others and yourself?

You cannot make that up yourself and need another person to tell you?

If I am good for all the people I know and meet but not believe in some God I will go to hel_l and will burn forever, what kind of God is that?

I had a talk with a friend of me and his father who is a preacher also joined.

I asked him if a person convicted of murder with clear evidence and his testimony that he did this bad thing would go to heaven when he converted to for example Christ ore catholic religion.

Yes he will go to heaven my friend answered.

How about me I asked, I never did something wrong always tried to help others and be good.

No, he said you will go to hel_l.

You followers of some type of religion need to wake up and understand that God is inside you.

But I guess you will never look there.

Kind regards,

Alex

Hi all,

I really do not understand why people need to follow some kind of religion.

What is it?

Insecurity?

Why you need to study for example Budhist teachings to know how to be good for others and yourself?

You cannot make that up yourself and need another person to tell you?

If I am good for all the people I know and meet but not believe in some God I will go to hel_l and will burn forever, what kind of God is that?

I had a talk with a friend of me and his father who is a preacher also joined.

I asked him if a person convicted of murder with clear evidence and his testimony that he did this bad thing would go to heaven when he converted to for example Christ ore catholic religion.

Yes he will go to heaven my friend answered.

How about me I asked, I never did something wrong always tried to help others and be good.

No, he said you will go to hel_l.

You followers of some type of religion need to wake up and understand that God is inside you.

But I guess you will never look there.

Kind regards,

Alex

Why do you need to understand?

What about live and let live?

If a system of beliefs/ideas helps somebody lead a happier life then why not?

I spent time working as a palliative care nurse and can tell you that many people were greatly helped at the end by their beliefs.

Call it insecurity if we want.

I have had religion twice in my life:

When, as a lad of 16, I applied to join the Royal Air Force, I had to state my religion. I thought if I put agnostic, they would label me as far left commie and reject me (this was 1960s cold war time), so as there was a Congregational chapel at the end of our street, I put "Congregationalist". This put me in category of "non-conformist", which I thought sounded sort of OK.

That lasted 10 years until I left the RAF.

Then about 12 years ago I went to work in Dubai, where one had to apply for a liquor licence in order to buy alcohol. For religion I put agnostic - my application was refused as agnostic was not on the "permitted" list. I resubmitted the application as Christian and got my licence. That religious fervour lasted 2 years until I left Dubai.

So, for religion I guess that puts me firmly as Opportunistic Hypocrite. Was that a poll option?

J.

Judeo-Islamic-Christian religions are the ultimate crutch for the weak and feeble minded to use to prosecute their own particular version of hate, intolerance and bigotry. (cf: GWB, Ariel Sharon, Ahmed Ahmedinabad et al).

Eastern religions are not much better but at least they don't (generally) evangelize, don't send impressionable youngsters out in ridiculous underwear to knock on doors (google Mormonism if you don't understand this) and don't use their particular brand of salvation™ to try to blackmail you into signing up.

Fark religion and all the hypocrisy that goes with it.

Genesis 1:1: Once upon a time, in a land far, far away....

Thanks Garro for that survey link..

Hmm... At the bottom of the list for me with just 14% Catholicism and Islam.. Which is strange because Catholicism in practise always struck me not that far away from the way Buddhism is practised in Thailand.

What I didn't like about the poll is the inclusion of all kinds of political topics like a view on abortion or homosexuality.. To me those issues have zero to do with religion but everything with intolerance among certain people. (many of those in positions of power in various religions admittedly, but I wouldn't want to define any religion in those terms).

but I'm not sure if JC is God,

nah , he was just another deranged prophet wandering around palestine at that time.

Deranged? Well that's debatable. But the Pharisees certainly thought that way, which is why they had him killed: "And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death..." (Deuteronomy 13:5 )

apart from judaism, which seeks no converts and makes no promises

No promises of an afterlife per se, yet promises, rather predicts the destruction of all non Jews.

they speak of bliss in the next world , but want power in this one.

Actually, Judaism is the one which wants all the power, as it is both political and "religious".

---

1. Liberal Quakers (100%)

2. Orthodox Quaker (95%)

3. Unitarian Universalism (86%)

4. Bahแ'ํ Faith (80%)

5. Theravada Buddhism (79%)

6. Jainism (76%)

7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (73%)

8. Mahayana Buddhism (73%)

9. Reform Judaism (72%)

10. Seventh Day Adventist (72%)

11. Taoism (72%)

12. Hinduism (71%)

13. Orthodox Judaism (68%)

14. New Age (66%)

15. Neo-Pagan (64%)

16. New Thought (62%)

17. Scientology (61%)

18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (57%)

19. Sikhism (54%)

20. Islam (52%)

21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (48%)

22. Secular Humanism (40%)

23. Eastern Orthodox (34%)

24. Roman Catholic (34%)

25. Nontheist (29%)

26. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (11%)

27. Jehovah's Witness (11%)

Thanks Garro for that survey link..

Hmm... At the bottom of the list for me with just 14% Catholicism and Islam.. Which is strange because Catholicism in practise always struck me not that far away from the way Buddhism is practised in Thailand.

What I didn't like about the poll is the inclusion of all kinds of political topics like a view on abortion or homosexuality.. To me those issues have zero to do with religion but everything with intolerance among certain people. (many of those in positions of power in various religions admittedly, but I wouldn't want to define any religion in those terms).

Well, the Catholic church is on record with a long history of persecution of gays and women and anybody else who disagrees with their particular brand of salvation™.

Evangelical™ morons in the USofA are also on record (go search for the views of Pat Robertson™ or Jerry Falwell™ if you don't understand) for the same bigotry and idiocy. Anybody who believes that a giant sky-fairy controls everything is beyond delusional. Christians should be rounded up and shipped off to some desolate shiathole where they can await the rapture and leave the rest of us the fark alone.

In case anyone would like to research the values that Christians hold dear, I suggest that you look into GWB's personal spiritual advisor, the great Ted (I'm not gay) Haggard

One more thing, read the book of Genesis, did anybody else in the last bazillion years meet a talking snake <deleted>?

nah , he was just another deranged prophet wandering around palestine at that time.

Deranged? Well that's debatable. But the Pharisees certainly thought that way, which is why they had him killed: "And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death..." (Deuteronomy 13:5 )

No promises of an afterlife per se, yet promises, rather predicts the destruction of all non Jews.

Actually, Judaism is the one which wants all the power, as it is both political and "religious".

---

A survey with no choice for Jews that shakes yet another thaivisa anti-semite out of the closet.

---

A survey with no choice for Jews that shakes yet another thaivisa anti-semite out of the closet.

You can't disagree with what I posted (the only controversy there may be is over the first point) since you're ignorant on the matter so the only recourse you have is to shout "anti-semite". :o

I suggest you read The Jewish Utopia, by Jewish Professor Michael Higger, keeping in mind that the Jewish Messiah is a political figure:

In general, the peoples of the world will be divided into two main groups, the Israelitic and the non-Israelitic. The former will be righteous; they will live in accordance with the wishes of one, universal God ... All the other peoples, on the other hand, will be known for their detestable practices, idolatry, and similar acts of wickedness. They will be destroyed and will disappear from earth before the ushering in of the ideal era ... at the coming of the Messiah, when all righteous nations will pay homage to the ideal righteous leader, and offer gifts to him, the wicked and corrupt nations, by realizing the approach of their doom, will bring similar presents to the Messiah. Their gifts and pretended acknowledgment of the new era, will be bluntly rejected ... Consequently, before the Kingdom of God will be established, a number of important reforms and changes will take place. Idolatry and idol worshippers, wicked people, unrighteous nations will disappear from the earth.

- M. Higger, The Jewish Utopia, Lord Baltimore Press, Baltimore, (1932), pp. 20, 37-39.

"idol worshippers" include Hindus, Catholics (as they worship saints) and of course, Buddhists...

---

You can't disagree with what I posted (the only controversy there may be is over the first point) since you're ignorant on the matter so the only recourse you have is to shout "anti-semite". rolleyes.gif

I suggest you read The Jewish Utopia, by Jewish Professor Michael Higger, keeping in mind that the Jewish Messiah is a political figure:

Give me a break! Anyone who says Jews want "all the power" is an anti-semite. Own it. Now go back to your favorite reading material now:

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Edited by Jingthing

Give me a break! Anyone who says Jews want "all the power" is an anti-semite. Own it.

Only I didn't say that. I said, "Judaism is the one which wants all the power, as it is both political and "religious".

You're ignoring the fact that many Jewish people are secular.

---

Now go back to your favorite reading material now:

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Let me know when you're finished with your edits.

---

Fine.

That lovely book you cited, The Jewish Utopia, is apparently mostly known by rabid anti-semites (well these were the obvious references I could find to it, I doubt you will find many Jews who have even heard of it!). It was written in 1932 and amazon. com has only a few copies. So a Jew wrote a wacky book in 1932 and you use it to fuel your sick myths about Jews. What is it with you people?

For those of like "mind" of Mr. Mike, you can have a field day at truth tellers org and then search around for that utopia crapola.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, the first Christians were Jewish.

The Jews lost out letting a good business like Catholicism slip out their hands.

Religion is like an insurance policy, one does not have to believe in it, but it`s there, anyway.

Racism, separatism, bigotry and religion go hand in hand.

The Christian Messiah was sent packing 2000 years ago, the long awaited Jewish Messiah probably died in the gas chambers during WW2, so dont bother waiting up for him.

Edited by distortedlink

That lovely book you cited, The Jewish Utopia, is apparently mostly known by rabid anti-semites

Just because some wacko Neo Nazis reference it doesn't make it false.

So a Jew wrote a wacky book in 1932 and you use it to fuel your sick myths

Myths? You're using that term in the sense that I'm making it all up. Not so. See Exodus 17:14-16, Numbers 24:17-20, Deuteronomy 25:17-19, I Samuel 15:1-35. Malachi 1:1-14. These verses are unequivocal incitements to genocide.

Also, see the writings of the late Prof. Israel Shahak, of the Hebrew University, Jerusalem. In particular, Jewish History, Jewish Religion, and The Ideology Behind Massacres.

about Jews

It's not about Jews, it's about Judaism. I can't be blamed for what a particular religion teaches.

What is it with you people?

Huh? Here I am opposing religious incitement to genocide and destruction and you're complaining about it. :o

---

Although I do believe in an ultimate creator of the Universe but rather as a science than some sort of supreme being, I cannot understand the reason why some young people of today still want to follow all this ancient crap.

Adam and Eve with their talking snake, Jesus walking on water, Moses parting the waves and Dumbo the flying elephant. People have actually gone to war over this, amazing, isnt it.

Drink, drugs and religion, a crutch to lean on for the insecure.

Whatever God one chooses to pray to, no one is ever going to meet 32 virgins when they kick the bucket or going to be allowed back for another bash at life. We continue on through the genes of our descendants, that`s nature and the laws of physics which is what the universe is all about.

The meaning of life is simply, to be and regenerate, thats it. During our short lifespans on this planet, it is up to us how we treat ourselves, others and the enviroment. Mess up, pray as hard as we like, no magic God who is meant to be everywhere is going to come to the rescue of any individual or the whole of mankind.

I am sure we wont have to wait too long for these posts to liven up with Christians Vs Jews and Jews Vs Christians. The sad people who participate in these sort of arguments are total brain dead idiots and only give more credibility to my views on religion.

Edited by distortedlink

Although I do believe in an ultimate creator of the Universe but rather as a science than some sort of supreme being, I cannot understand the reason why some young people of today still want to follow all this ancient crap.

Adam and Eve with their talking snake, Jesus walking on water, Moses parting the waves and Dumbo the flying elephant. People have actually gone to war over this, amazing, isnt it.

Drink, drugs and religion, a crutch to lean on for the insecure.

Whatever God one chooses to pray to, no one is ever going to meet 32 virgins when they kick the bucket or going to be allowed back for another bash at life. We continue on through the genes of our descendants, that`s nature and the laws of physics which is what the universe is all about.

The meaning of life is simply, to be and regenerate, thats it. During our short lifespans on this planet, it is up to us how we treat ourselves, others and the enviroment. Mess up, pray as hard as we like, no magic God who is meant to be everywhere is going to come to the rescue of any individual or the whole of mankind.

Agree wholeheartedly, but why don't some 6 billion others? Are they really so insecure that they need a fictitious God to lean on

While I personally don't believe in a God. I think it would be foolish of me to discount the the experiences of billions of people throughout history. I am happy enough to follow where my path takes me and let others do the same. I always feel very uncomfortable around people who would ridicule another man's beliefs as it is often a sign of deep insecurity. I believe in live and let live.

It you feel it is your job to ensure that everyone else thinks the same way as you then at least do it in a respectable manner. Just saying that what people believe is nonsense isn't really very helpful. It is only when arguments are weak that people fall back on to insults. If I choose to believe that the whole world is a giant video game there is no way to disprove this, and if you can't see this you are delusional. At the end of the day we are all trying to make our way as best we can.

I suppose it depends on your definition of faith and which dictionary you choose. Websters dictionary also provides the following meaning;

'Loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person'

I think this would be a fair assessment of those who pay homage to the scientific method.

So long as science is not able to test a theory on every occasion it relies on inductive reasoning.

Taking into account theories such as probabilty does not really change anything as these theories also rely on inductive reasoning.

Garro - I am afraid you are stuck in a rut of complete bull here. The very origin of the word "science" comes from Latin scientia, from scient-, sciens having knowledge, from present participle of scire to know. To know - To have knowledge. The very basic properties that set science apart from the requirements of "faith", which are to believe without certain knowledge.

You are trying to toss two thousand plus years of human accomplishments in the trash bin with your idiotic, dismissive statements.

"idol worshippers" include Hindus, Catholics (as they worship saints) and of course, Buddhists...

Absolute Krap! I strongly suggest you study the essences of these religions before you post statements such as this. Hindus and Christians do not worship idols, the idol, be it a Hindu god or Christ on the cross merely represent the essence of the teachings and the spirit of the god, who is not visible. They are a type of aide memoire, if you like.

The essence of Buddhism is internal. True Buddhists do not worship the Buddha, image or otherwise, or any supernatural being.

n Mirriam Webster: belief and trust in and loyalty to God : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion : firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Oxford: 1 complete trust or confidence. 2 strong belief in a religion. 3 a system of religious belief. These definitions simply do not apply in the case of science.

You must never have spoken with the same sorts of people I have regarding science: from unified forces, through global warming, from super-string theory to quantum theory, the scientific advocates all cite their 'proof', as does their adversaries with completely contentious 'proof' - whatever, they all seem to have immutable 'faith' in their theories in spite of (their opponents') evidence to the contrary. It seems to me, scientists give up their pet theories with as much gusto as religions do!

Someone also went on (BB) about 'branches' of Buddhism and inferred that to not understand the differences diminishes the claimant's right to claim Buddhism as a religion (ignoring the 'is it a religion?' - 'is it a sport or a game?' type questions which are too subjective and personal to every get anywhere with).

Would a Catholic been expected to know the differences between Greek Orthodox and Russian Orthodox or between Lutheranism and Presbyterian or between the many denominations of the Protestant teachings? Would it make him/her less of a Catholic if s/he did?

Personally I believe in God, I have no qualms about stating that. I also class myself as a Buddhist (Theravada as that is the Temple I go to and the denomination I have studied). I do not see much contention between the two; to miss quote Buddha slightly (i.e. put them in my own words but keeping the sentiment) - It is OK to use as much of my teachings such that you require to make your path through life, using, modifying and discarding as needs be on the journey (taken from the "Treat my teachings like a raft; to be discarded upon the shore after the crossing is made" and others). I don't see god as a Father-Time like figure or a 'sky-fairy' as someone earlier suggested, but as a force (call it 'science' if you must, but I equate a sentience to it - I can't talk to a test tube). I believe in Karma (my version of it at least) and in energy recycling (my version of reincarnation that complies with the theory of conservation of energy) and in free will. My belief is that we are always offered a choice, an escape perhaps, regardless of where we are on our life's progress and however many times we have ignores earlier 'escapes' (or 'better choices' would be a better term I guess). Many times I have put my faith in God, and I have always found a way out of whatever situation I have landed myself in (the skeptical will of course put this down to either dumb luck or good thinking under pressure etc, but I was there at the times - obviously - and I know my luck ain't that good!). I think Buddha's teachings are a great way to lead your life and to live harmoniously.

I have a question though. There has been a lot of throwing about of anti-Semite etc, it is my understanding (though it may be wrong) that Semites includes all desert tribes including the tribes that today are of both of Jewish and of Islamic faiths, yet it seems to only speak of the former (I have even heard Muslims being called this - which is strange). Is my thinking incorrect, or has the term changed (like Asian seems to always refer to the Indian sub-continent solely)

The otherthing is, whist missing the Jewish faith is an oversight, there are over 700 million Hindus in the world - though maybe not in CM :o

Edited by wolf5370