New Honda Accord Vs Bmw 330i 2003

Mobi

I read in Bangkok Post that 320d will soon replace 330 as "performance model" in 3 series range, and it costs under 3 mil.

Yes, I've just read the article. 2.845m. It does 0-100Km in 8 seconds, fuel is 18.5 kpl, and is rated better than the remaining 3 series.

I must go and test drive one.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i'm no authority on the subject, but what i will say is that the used Accord model in my UK magazine looks exactly identical to the one that has just come out here. Maybe it's not but it certainly looks like it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that Asia was given an old outgoing model to sell as new, although admittedly that doesn't happen so much these days.

I'm surprised Mobi that you say the Accord is bigger than the Camry, because one of my own criticisms of the new Accord is that it looks too small on the road - it must be deceptively big inside i guess. Anyway, it's you that's buying it, so if you like it, go for it. Certainly better value for money than a BM.

Well i'm no authority on the subject, but what i will say is that the used Accord model in my UK magazine looks exactly identical to the one that has just come out here. Maybe it's not but it certainly looks like it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that Asia was given an old outgoing model to sell as new, although admittedly that doesn't happen so much these days.

I'm surprised Mobi that you say the Accord is bigger than the Camry, because one of my own criticisms of the new Accord is that it looks too small on the road - it must be deceptively big inside i guess. Anyway, it's you that's buying it, so if you like it, go for it. Certainly better value for money than a BM.

Looking at the size spec on both car, the Accord is both wider and longer than the Camry and well as more room on the inside.

Looking at the size spec on both car, the Accord is both wider and longer than the Camry and well as more room on the inside.

Thanks Ignis. Very interesting. I would never have known to look with the naked eye. They've done a good job of making it look small obviously - too good in my humble opinion - it lacks the presence of a Camry.

The Bangkok Post ran one of their "shoot outs" in January, comparing the Accord with the Camry, the Sonata and the Teana, and the rated the Accord as "best in class.", with the Camry second, Sonata third and the Teana 4th.

Well, it might be true this time, but I don't remember a single Bangkok Post "shoot out" that wasn't won by City/Jazz/Civic/Accord/CRV. hel_l will freeze twice over before they let Toyota win in any cateogory (expect Vigo - Vigo rules with BP guys).

Yeah, but the cheapest, smallest BMW costs like a million baht more (what is it, extra twenty thousand Euros?), you can buy TWO Accords instead, or you have to settle for five year old car instead of new.

If not for new 320d it's no contest, really.

Thanks Ignis. Very interesting. I would never have known to look with the naked eye. They've done a good job of making it look small obviously - too good in my humble opinion - it lacks the presence of a Camry.

Length/width/height: Accord; 4935/1845/1476 Camry;4825/1820/1470

Fuel: Accord;10.2kpl Camry 9.2kpl

I've seen a couple of Accords in the showroom down here and they look very swish to me.

At then end of the day the difference between an Accord and a Camry is marginal - it's a matter of personal taste.

But I do like the idea that the Accord is a "Driver's car" and several motoring reports (not just the Post) say that it is more responsive and the engine is more powerful. It is very popular and selling well.

Yeah, but the cheapest, smallest BMW costs like a million baht more (what is it, extra twenty thousand Euros?), you can buy TWO Accords instead, or you have to settle for five year old car instead of new.

Plus, you are right. I can only decide after test driving the 320D and the Accord, because that's is now what it's down to.

The Bangkok Post ran one of their "shoot outs" in January, comparing the Accord with the Camry, the Sonata and the Teana, and the rated the Accord as "best in class.", with the Camry second, Sonata third and the Teana 4th.

Well, it might be true this time, but I don't remember a single Bangkok Post "shoot out" that wasn't won by City/Jazz/Civic/Accord/CRV. hel_l will freeze twice over before they let Toyota win in any cateogory (expect Vigo - Vigo rules with BP guys).

I don't want to get into an argument over this because I am no means an expert. But I did my research before buying my wife a Jazz, and it has been voted the best small car in the WORLD year after year, after year.

And I remember very distinctly that the Civic was very highly rated in Europe for many years.

And the only reason I bought a TOYOTA Fortuner, was because the Bangkok Post did a "shoot out" and gave it the number 1 position in that SUV category. And this was about a year before it became very popular.

So I'm not too sure about your assertions of anti Toyota sentiment at the BP :o

Most people are interested in looking at a variety of products and then make a decision based on which one they like best. Unfortunately this is NOT true when you talk about Toyota and Apple fanatics. Other companies would give millions to figure out how to build a brand loyalty like that. :o

Most people are interested in looking at a variety of products and then make a decision based on which one they like best. Unfortunately this is NOT true when you talk about Toyota and Apple fanatics. Other companies would give millions to figure out how to build a brand loyalty like that. :o

How about making good products :D

/ Priceless

Did you decide Mobi?

I'd say the Accord would be more fitting for a man of your age -- a 3-series is a jr exec's/chic car (no offense alexlah, i know you love your bimmer). Just my opinion, don't wanna argue here.

At your age, you go 7 or you go nothing in the BMW range (ok maybe X5).

Stick with the Accord, you'll save big on costs and I think it offers more luxury than a 3-series.

Someone's gonna say, "well in the twisties.......blah blah 3-series would be killer blah blah" This is Thailand. There are no twisties. At least not like in Europe.

Either way, hope you decided on something, at the very least to get you out of that DeathTrap that is the Fortuner.

Keep us updated.

I apologize for going slightly off topic, but what is it about the Mis Fortuner that makes you refer to it as a "Death Trap"?

I am no fan of the aforesaid but they always seem to be whipping along in the fast lane quite comfortably, driven by people on a mission.. :o

Did you decide Mobi?

I'd say the Accord would be more fitting for a man of your age -- a 3-series is a jr exec's/chic car (no offense alexlah, i know you love your bimmer). Just my opinion, don't wanna argue here.

At your age, you go 7 or you go nothing in the BMW range (ok maybe X5).

Stick with the Accord, you'll save big on costs and I think it offers more luxury than a 3-series.

Someone's gonna say, "well in the twisties.......blah blah 3-series would be killer blah blah" This is Thailand. There are no twisties. At least not like in Europe.

Either way, hope you decided on something, at the very least to get you out of that DeathTrap that is the Fortuner.

Keep us updated.

I apologize for going slightly off topic, but what is it about the Mis Fortuner that makes you refer to it as a "Death Trap"?

I am no fan of the aforesaid but they always seem to be whipping along in the fast lane quite comfortably, driven by people on a mission.. :o

If you have a look at Mr Mobi's past posts, you'll see a thread he started about the accident he had in his Fortuner when the air-bags didn't inflate - like those you mention, he was whipping along when things turned ugly.

/ Priceless

I guess toyota are reliable and cheap to maintain....

and throw in a little bit of herd mentality and you're on a winner!

If you have a look at Mr Mobi's past posts, you'll see a thread he started about the accident he had in his Fortuner when the air-bags didn't inflate - like those you mention, he was whipping along when things turned ugly.

Don't forget the automatic locking. I was unconcious for 15 minutes inside the car and no-one could open the doors. My wife thought I was dead!! Eventually I came to and opened the door.

/ Priceless

and throw in a little bit of herd mentality and you're on a winner!

According to the Post report, Servicing costs for the first 100,000 kms are Accord 26,258 Baht, and Camry 19,261 Baht.

Resale value after 5 years: Accord 66% of list price; Camry 68%

Camry has the edge in these factors, but do they really matter when considering the car as a whole?

As I currently run a Toyota and a Honda, I would rate the Toyota Service higher than the Honda service. But there's not that much in it, and that might just be my local experience. Both companies treat the customers pretty well, and do a good, cheap, fast job.

/ Priceless

:D and throw in a little bit of herd mentality and you're on a winner!

According to the Post report, Servicing costs for the first 100,000 kms are Accord 26,258 Baht, and Camry 19,261 Baht.

Resale value after 5 years: Accord 66% of list price; Camry 68%

Camry has the edge in these factors, but do they really matter when considering the car as a whole?

As I currently run a Toyota and a Honda, I would rate the Toyota Service higher than the Honda service. But there's not that much in it, and that might just be my local experience. Both companies treat the customers pretty well, and do a good, cheap, fast job.

I have a honda and the service is pretty good. I think the resale of the accord would vary depending on whether it's a 2.0/2.4 or 3.0. For the 3.0 some real bargains can be had - try 600K off a 3 year old car. Relatively speaking, I guess the cheaper cars depreciate less over time than the more expensive ones. Depreciation is even worse for European models ( or better, if you are a buyer:)

I have the Honda price list.

E2.0 is 1.240M, 2.4 is 1.376m, EL 2.4 is 1.507,m, EL Navi 2.4 is 1.647m, V6 3.5 is 2.88m, and V6 White is 2.890m.

I am not interested in Sat Nav, so I would probably go for the EL 2.4 at 1.507M. Is there any real advantage to pay another 1m for the bigger engine?

I have given up the idea of a 5 year old BMW for all the obvious reasons. But I am still thinking about a "nearly new" 3 series or 5 series, probably ex demo. The BMW website shows that a 2007, 325i would go for around 2.9M, and a 2006 for around 2.5 m.

A 2007, 523i would cost about 3.5M and a 2006, 525 for 2.5 - 3.0m. All these vehicles are low mileage.

My friend advises me that you can usually beat the price down by maybe 300K. Even so I would be spending at least 1.m more for a used BM, vs a new Accord.

I haven't made up my mind yet, and all the comments are very useful in aiding my final decision, so thank you all very much.

Mobi, i purchased a demo 520d just before christmas at Nelson Autohaus in Chonburi. Needless to say, i`m a very happy man :o

One good thing, is that all 2007 models comes with the BSI included. It stands for BMW Service Included, and means that you don`t pay anything for service etc., just tires for the next 5 years or 100k Km. (So no service costs at all!)

Not only that, it follows the car and makes a very good sales argument when trading it, if you decide to do so before the 100k/5years.

Jalla

The very first thing Bangkok Post said about this Accord is that Honda went for luxury and comfort. It's not designed to be a driver's car. Whatever their shoot out conclusion was - the difference is minimal, perhaps even non-existent.

Honda fans tend to exaggerate their cars power and acceleration, Honda itself regularly increases their power outputs but I think it's just a big sham - there's no actual, meaningful performance increase. Take new Jazz, it's got ten more HPs, sounds like a big deal, but the improvement is only near redline, absolutely useless for 99% of the drivers, it only gives them another reason to brag about. I'd be very careful with this bunch - I do not trust a word that comes out of Honda fans regarding their engine power or speed.

Every now and then there are little asides in Bangkok Post. After Jazz/City trashed Toyota in their "shoot outs" for years, someone simply said that sportiest car crown for years belonged to Vios. Then they proceeded to denigrate the new Vios model for not living up to City standards. Something's definitely wrong with these people.

I agree that Camry is not meant for street racing either, it doesn't rev up easily and it doesn't like being pushed. It gives enough acceleration at the slight tap on a gas pedal to keep up with the traffic, and there's also manual gear shift option and other gimmics, but I've never used them - it just doesn't feel like racing and stressing yourself in that car, and I bet it's the same with Accord. I bet their both geared to drive under 4000 rpm most of the time - before Vtec/VVTi kicks in and they accelerate like madmen. It is certainly the case with Camry - performance is not linear, and it is not meant to be, btw, I don't understand why they imply it's a plus when they talk about Accord.

On the highway both cars behave in the same manner, I haven't seen Accords pulling away at 160km/h. Camry at that speed feels very stable and composed, cruising at 2000 rpm, it looked like a sweet spot for Accords, too (while Vioses and Jazzes clearly look stressed), but I don't know how Accord feels inside.

>>>>

I'm not knocking Accord in any way, I just feel that some praise for it is unjustified.

>>>>

Are you sure Accord doesn't have an auto-door lock similar to Fortuner, or BMW, for that matter? Do you remember how a government minister got trapped inside his 7 series and panicked, it took some twenty minutes to figure out how to extract him, from a parked car.

road test from todays daily telegraph.

Honda Accord: Born to be mild

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 19/04/2008

The new Honda Accord is stylish and comfortable enough to give the middle of the road a good name, says Andrew English

ou'd need to employ the services of the Bletchley Park wartime code breakers to make sense of the new Honda Accord marketing presentation. At one point I could have sworn customers were being offered a £20,000 day's "experience" at a dealership with a free car thrown in.

mfhonda1.jpgForce power: the Accord looks stylish from front to back Then there were the endless references to BMW, Mercedes and Audi, as though this were just another German saloon. Yet for many Accord buyers, the fact that this Japanese-made car is not a German saloon is one of the very things that might make them want one. Men such as my late father-in-law, who for various reasons such as the image, the war, the prices, the casual impertinence of the dealers and the fact that there's always one stuck up your boot on the A3, would never have bought a German saloon. If you want a 3-series, BMW makes a perfectly acceptable one; we don't need another one with a Honda badge on the front.

In fact, the Honda appeals to conservative, prudent, middle-class folk, who appreciate its build quality, high residuals and understated image. It's a big step up from a Ford or a Vauxhall and moored sufficiently off the coast of Germany to be appreciated as something different in its own right.

"Go to any golf club in England and you'll see Hondas lined up in the car parks," says the company's UK MD, Ken Kier. "It's where we want to be and our residual values are crucial to that. If you spend more than £20,000 of your own money on a car, you want to hold on to it. Our customers think hard about these things." "So Honda buyers are a canny class of folk, then?" I ask. "Aye." Since its first launch in 1976, the Accord has been incredibly popular. More than 15.8 million have been sold and this new model is the eighth generation in the US, the seventh in Europe. Honda has been very clever with its engineering - Accord means different things to different markets, but under the skin they all share lots of components so they aren't designed two or three times. First planned as a sporty V6 saloon, the Accord debuted as a small-engined, three-door hatchback. Since then the badge has graced hatchbacks, saloons and estates, four- and six-cylinder petrol, diesel and hybrid drivelines. At one time it was built in three body sizes for Japan, Europe and North America, where it was the country's best-selling car for 20 consecutive years until 1997. There is still a separate and larger North American model, which is also selling like gang busters in Russia where punters like a bigger class of motor.

With the last model Honda was clearer with its marketing, identifying a middle ground for the Accord, in competition with Saab, Volvo and perhaps Alfa Romeo. The design of the car was bland, though, and the ride, which had been slightly over-tuned to compete with the Germans, was rather harsh and noisy.

mfhonda2.jpgThe interior design is a bit of a mess Middle-class, middle-market, middle England: it's a recipe for taupe-tinged blandness, or would be if the new Accord didn't look so good. Where the old model looked as though the designers had gone off for a big sake party half way through the job, this one looks like they had been watching a Star Wars film - those headlamps bear a striking resemblance to a Stormtrooper's helmet. Not that we're complaining - the look is tough, mean(ish) and also (unlike the old model) consistent right to the back. The best-looking car is the Tourer (estate). It has traded 110 litres of useable space for a slinky wedge with a sculpted, highly sloping hatchback shape, which could pose a problem for dog owners with the sun beating directly down on Fido in the cabin.

Inside, the Accord presents a familiar mix of switches and typefaces for Honda owners, although the design is a bit of a mess and the layout and functions are confusing. The choice of plastics is also a bad call in this sector, especially if you want to compete with interior-obsessed Audi. There are some very off-the-pace harsh surfaces on the centre console and the door handles, and a wobbly glove box lid that has no place on a £20,000 car.

There is good stuff in the cabin, though, such as the comfortable, hugging seats, the rear head- and legroom and the generally assured choice of fabrics. The boot's more than big enough for a family of four and the Tourer, while not the pantechnicon its predecessor was, is still capacious enough for everyday family use.

Honda is making great play of its technical innovations, such as the lane-keeping assist and intelligent cruise control, which are available in a technical package costing about £1,800. If you do a lot of motorway miles it might be worth considering, although it's a shame that the excellent crash-mitigation system is available only with the first two rather than as a single option. This detects when the car is closing too fast on the car in front, braking progressively and tightening the seat belts when it thinks a crash is inevitable. That seat-belt tightening is such a shock that if you get on the anchors quickly, you can stop the car without hitting anything. It could prevent a lot of the tail-end shunts that are so common on the motorway.

dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversionThree four-cylinder engines are offered, petrol in 2.0- and 2.4-litre displacements, and a revamp and capacity increase for Honda's acclaimed turbodiesel, which is clean enough to slot into Euro V emissions requirements. The standard gearbox is a refined six-speed manual and the option is a five-speed automatic with steering-column shifters. The petrol cars get the auto option from launch, the diesel from next spring.

On fast Austrian motorways, the 2.0-litre petrol felt short of breath, which over-accentuates the tendency for Honda engines to prefer life at the upper registers of the rev range. The 2.4-litre is a smoother engine, which revs quickly and cleanly. It is thirstier in the EU tests, but in practice, you'd probably be able to take the higher gear earlier and minimise that thirst gap.

Pick of the bunch is the turbodiesel. It likes to rev and lets you know when it's working hard, but it is very smooth and economical. We've driven the automatic version of this car in Japan. The engine torque has to be dialled back to protect the transmission and although the five-speed auto is a smooth shifter, the economy penalty made us dubious of the benefits. Unless you really hate changing gear, take the manual: it's faster, more frugal and will be cheaper.

With redesigned wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension, we were worried that Honda had tightened the ride up further, but that's not the case. Instead it's a big welcome back to the fine-riding Honda and it makes this car a lovely long-legged cruising machine, especially with the diesel motor.

mfhonda3.jpgThe handling is a mixed bunch. The body does roll, but it is well controlled and progressive. Drive it like a hot hatchback and the Honda will try to understeer straight on when initially turning in. The heeling body then seems to plant the front wheels and adopt a set track round the corner, whatever you do to the throttle. It means that when you first start driving the Accord quickly, you're always a yard or two wider of the corner apex than you intended, but then you start to adjust and drive round the trait by guiding the nose slowly around at first. It means the Honda doesn't have the immediacy and front-end domination of cars like the Ford Mondeo, but I'm not sure that owners will mind too much.

The steering is light and direct, and with adjustable wheel and seat there is an excellent driving position to be had for most sizes and shapes. Of slightly more concern are the brakes, which after a few photographic cornering runs were smoking like a wet bonfire. The pedal became so spongy that even after 10 gentle miles it could still be pushed to the floor. We were assured that this was a one-off problem, but one other car we drove also had soft brakes that smoked heavily after hard use. We'll wait until the cars come to Britain and see whether Honda has managed to dial out this potential problem.

There are lots of things about living in the middle that are not much fun. The middle of England is in Meriden near Coventry, and in a well-argued piece in the New Statesman last year, Richard Reeves argued that most of middle England is actually in the suburbs of the country. Last year's median income was £23,764 a year and, according to my colleague Edmund Conway, over the past five years the middle classes have been paying an extra £1,250 a year in tax.

Cheer up, though. With its fine looks, a highly technical but simple-to-use package and a very fine ride, the new Accord shows there are some good things about the middle way, and they're not necessarily German, either.

Honda Accord [tech/spec]

mfhonda4.jpgPrice/availability: from £20,110 for 2.0-litre petrol in base ES specification to £24,940 for 2.2-litre diesel in top EX GT specification – add about £1,300 for the Tourer models in same spec. On sale June – saloon, September – estate.

Engines/transmissions: 2.0i-VTEC, 1,997cc, four-cylinder petrol with SOHC and four valves per cylinder; 154bhp at 6,300rpm and 142lb ft of torque at 4,300rpm. 2.4i-VTEC, 2,354cc four-cyl petrol with DOHC and four valves per cyl; 198bhp at 7,000rpm and 173lb ft at 4,500rpm. 2.2i-DTEC, 2,199cc, four-cyl, turbodiesel with DOHC and four valves per cyl; 148bhp at 4,000rpm and 258lb ft at 2,000rpm. Six-speed manual transmission as standard on all models. Five-speed automatic on petrol models at launch and on turbodiesel from early 2009.

Performance (automatic in brackets): 2.0-litre petrol: top speed 133mph (131mph), 0-62mph 9.3sec (10.7sec), EU Urban fuel consumption 30.1mpg (27.7mpg), CO2 emissions 170g/km (178g/km). 2.4-litre petrol; 141mph (141mph), 7.8sec (9.5sec), 23.7mpg (23.5mpg), 209g/km (204g/km). 2.2-litre turbodiesel; 131mpg, 9.6sec, 38.7mpg, 148g/km.

We like: The style, the ride, the turbodiesel engine, the seat comfort and the fact it's not a German saloon.

We don't like: The fussy dashboard, the cheap plastics used in key places, the initial understeer and the spongy brakes (although we are waiting for UK cars to check this).

Alternatives: Alfa Romeo 159 from £19,655. Audi A4 from £25,090. BMW 3-series from £21,145. Citroën C5 from £15,595. Mercedes-Benz C-class from £22,937. Saab 9-3 from £18,575. Volkswagen Passat from £15,825. Volvo S60 from £19,995.

Edited by taxexile

"If you want a 3-series, BMW makes a perfectly acceptable one; we don't need another one with a Honda badge on the front."

Also note the price difference between Accord and 3 series - there's practically none.

"If you want a 3-series, BMW makes a perfectly acceptable one; we don't need another one with a Honda badge on the front."

Also note the price difference between Accord and 3 series - there's practically none.

That maybe true in the UK, but not here...

The Honda is Thai made and MUCH cheaper

the new Thai made Mercedes-Benz C-class is 1 million cheaper than the outgoing imported C-class

The rest of that group are all imports and much more expensive, some over double the price of the Thai made cars.

Even small cars eg:

New Honda Jazz around 600,000 baht

New Suzuki Swift around 1.2 million, yet in UK the Swift is much cheaper than the Jazz

Edited by ignis

In this neck of the woods, nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, even the new 320D is a million more, and all the other BMW's are a lot more expensive.

But it is interesting that they are more or less the same price in Europe - which means, maybe, that in the real world they are roughly on a par with each other.

So in that case why pay a lot more for a car that costs the same as a Honda in Europe?

If you see what I mean? :o

Mobi, i purchased a demo 520d just before christmas at Nelson Autohaus in Chonburi. Needless to say, i`m a very happy man :o

One good thing, is that all 2007 models comes with the BSI included. It stands for BMW Service Included, and means that you don`t pay anything for service etc., just tires for the next 5 years or 100k Km. (So no service costs at all!)

Not only that, it follows the car and makes a very good sales argument when trading it, if you decide to do so before the 100k/5years.

Jalla

Dare I ask how much you paid for it?

In this neck of the woods, nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, even the new 320D is a million more, and all the other BMW's are a lot more expensive.

But it is interesting that they are more or less the same price in Europe - which means, maybe, that in the real world they are roughly on a par with each other.

So in that case why pay a lot more for a car that costs the same as a Honda in Europe?

If you see what I mean? :o

Spot on the money i'd say. And yes, why indeed, unless of course money is no object.

Jalla

Dare I ask how much you paid for it?

You have several options here Mobi, all depends on when it was taken out of the showroom, mileage etc.

Mine set me back approx. 3m, but i also had the M-sport package fitted. My best guess is around 2.8m for a demo 520d.

If you need phone numbers, contact persons etc. you are welcome to pm me.