Has Anybody Read The New Andrew Hicks Book Yet?

garro

I was just wondering if anybody had read the new book by Andrew Hicks yet? It's called 'My Thai and I' and is meant to be in shops already. I thought his last book,'Thai Girl' was a good read. I hear this one is a sort of auto-biographical.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His last book was fiction and sold quite well in Thailand. It was a nice story which wasn't as world weary as most fiction based in Thailand. He also posts on Thai Visa occasionally, and I think that he has a blog here as well.

I read 'Thai girl' recently, if I recall correctly it's about a relationship between a young Englishman and a Buriram beach masseuse he meets and falls for. It was nice to see a western author trying to understand Issan people, he visits her hometown, but he didn't seem to be able to get under her skin as it were.

From the mystery absences are we supposed to assume she's in fact a hooker, although she won't sleep with the Englishman? I felt we needed more about her past to understand her.To have written the book from her point of reference would have been interesting. I noted the author has been a lawyer in several countries and in The Philippines he had set up a foundation to help migrant workers.

The ending of the book frustrated me, all that love for her seemed to dissipate once back in the 'reality' of Blighty looking for a career. A condemnation of holiday romances perhaps.

I read Thai Girl. It was the work of a substandard author. I read a lot of novels and his novel was the most poorly written one I have read in ten years. I only read it because the book promo claims to teach you about Thai culture. It doesn't even do that. Sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

Give me a break. Any expat worth his salt, doesn't need to go around reading books (good or otherwise) about Thailand. Get out there and live your own lives, guys. Have an authentic life experience of your own and form your own ideas and opinions.

Many do quite well here, without having to read anybody else's work.

Give me a break. Any expat worth his salt, doesn't need to go around reading books (good or otherwise) about Thailand. Get out there and live your own lives, guys. Have an authentic life experience of your own and form your own ideas and opinions.

Tut tut. It might add perspective and perhaps suggestions to consider. Your view is like saying a competent crackerjack physician does not require continuing education courses. Sometimes we learn from the wackiest of sources. Not that I am about to go out a buy the book. My loo has enough reading materal to get me through this year's GI upset season. :o

Maybe we just want to read a book and relax. :D

Have you written a book? :o

I read Thai Girl. It was the work of a substandard author. I read a lot of novels and his novel was the most poorly written one I have read in ten years. I only read it because the book promo claims to teach you about Thai culture. It doesn't even do that. Sorry.

If you want to learn a bit about Thai culture try reading some of John Burdett's books e.g Bangkok 8, Bangkok Haunts, Bangkok Tattoo etc. Full of all the prejudiced opinions that you find on TV but good entertainment and also helps you to understand some aspects of down-to-earth Thai culture. Well that's my opinion. Shoot away!

If you want to learn a bit about Thai culture try reading some of John Burdett's books e.g Bangkok 8, Bangkok Haunts, Bangkok Tattoo etc. Full of all the prejudiced opinions that you find on TV but good entertainment and also helps you to understand some aspects of down-to-earth Thai culture. Well that's my opinion. Shoot away!

I fully concur! I have read all his books and they are very excellent. I read them because they are highly entertaining and well written but you are correct to say they also contains some amazingly acute gems about Thai culture. Highest Jingthing endorsement.

I fully concur! I have read all his books and they are very excellent. I read them because they are highly entertaining and well written but you are correct to say they also contains some amazingly acute gems about Thai culture. Highest Jingthing endorsement.

Initially I was put off by the title 'Bangkok 8' which is supposed to be a police district in central Bangkok. I thought all police districts had names e.g. Lumphini. However in all other respects names, places etc in Bangkok all seem to be accurately named and described.

If you want to learn a bit about Thai culture try reading some of John Burdett's books e.g Bangkok 8, Bangkok Haunts, Bangkok Tattoo etc. Full of all the prejudiced opinions that you find on TV .......

I agree with you up to this point and that's the reason why I won't read another one.

You are obviously more of a conniseour of literature than I am. I enjoyed the book and thought it to be well written. Of course it is missing the usual stories about hookers ripping off silly westerners, and I suppose that this can take the enjoyment out of it for some.

Maybe we just want to read a book and relax. :D

Have you written a book? :o

By all means read a book. Read something that will broaden your knowledge base. Just don't waist your time reading the same old claptrap, written about Thailand by people who may or may not know what they are talking about.

No books to my credit and none planned. Thanks for asking. I write for my own entertainment on my blog. Pure, self-indulgent ramblings of an old fart who has lived here way too long.

bang bang !

i dont think these stories will teach you anything about thai culture , they may be entertaining to some , but mostly they are just everyday cops , robbers and romance tales that happen to be set in thailand.

if you enjoy uncomplicated plots in cliched thai settings with cliched characters of little depth ( jaded foreigner , really mean local criminal with big benz , thai bird down on her luck , good cop , bad cop , toothless crone from the village , etc) then these books may find a spot on your shelves......or more likely propping up that wonky table.

you can learn more about thai culture from the first few pages of any travel guide book .

if you want to learn about thai society , then the best available book is "inside thai society" by neils mulder.

... an old fart who has lived here way too long.

Me too! :D

I quite liked "Thailand Fever" by Chris Pirazzi and Vitida Vasant. Probably the last book I read - I am that lazy. :o

[Actually, the full title is "Good Medicine for Thailand Fever".]

Help me remember Bangkok 8, without giving away the plot. Is that the one with an opening scene with cobras, crazed by drugs, eating the eyeballs of some guy? I read something like that and thought, Shit, if this is real life in Thailand, look what I'm missing out on!

Although my book will never get published, I thought it more interesting to put the main character in Mae Hong Son, teach English, fall in love with two local Shan residents, rescue a Karen girl from human traffickers, take part in the coup, ride in a parade in Bangkok, fly to Yangoon to honor Aung San Suu Kyi, etc.

My story would involve Mr Bean coming to Thailand and being followed by the psychotic killer from 'no country for old men' - who is out to kill him. High jinks would follow as Mr Bean negotiates his way through Pattaya night life, with the psycho following and slaying everyone in his path. The book would finish in Mae Hong Song where Mr Bean is saved from the psycho by a local Karen girl only to be killed in the final scene by a disgruntled TEFLer.

My story/film would involve Ali G (or Borat) in Bangkok. Many possibilities eg going to a bar and not realising till too late the ladies there are katoey or seeing some of the bugs/dancing shrimp sold by the food vendors and getting freaked out. Maybe going on a tuk tuk drive and buying low quality jewelery, gold chain, gems, bling etc or getting scammed by a bar girl who gets the upper hand. Numerous possibilities.

Ali G in Bangkok, Ali G in Bangkok...

I was just wondering if anybody had read the new book by Andrew Hicks yet? It's called 'My Thai and I' and is meant to be in shops already. I thought his last book,'Thai Girl' was a good read. I hear this one is a sort of auto-biographical.

Thanks for the mention, though it's a little premature to expect anyone to have read MY THAI GIRL AND I as it's only been in the shops about a week. Asia Books has done very well and it's in about 200 outlets country wide so I'm looking forward to the reviews.

As you may guess, MY THAI GIRL AND I is the story of how I met my wife Cat and how we set up home together in her remote village in Surin. I know nothing can be completely original but I think this one's a bit different as it's about five years of a friendship that's happily continuing today. My aim was not to just write about ourselves but about Isaan and rural life in general. This is where I am and it's what I have to write about.

I hope you enjoy the book and later can give some useful feedback.

As to my earlier novel "Thai Girl", reviewers have described it as 'the definitive novel about relations between Thais and foreigners' and as 'one of the biggest selling English language novels ever published in Thailand'. There's no Borat or Bean. It's just a simple story of an English lad trying to learn about Thailand through his friendship with a Thai beach masseuse. Fon is the sweet and modest 'Thai girl' who says 'no' and readers seem to like fall for her too.

I'm just preparing the seventh printing and today am going through a long contract with a film company in California which wants to option it for a movie.

I'm gratified that it has given pleasure to more than a few and from the feedback I get has meant a lot to some. Every author accepts that not everyone will like their book but I feel that in this instance I should come to the defence of "Thai Girl". Anonymous criticisms inflame my defensive instincts.

A few have criticised a passage in the book where my backpack characters sit on the beach and rant about Anglo-American foreign policy in the Middle East and 'the war on terror'. This dialogue was an elaboration of the opinions I have heard from young travellers many times. While the majority (though not all) of the characters are highly critical of Bush, this does not make me anti-American. The contrary is in fact the case.

I wonder though if these criticisms might occasionally have given offence?

Read the book and see what you think!!

Andrew

I did read "Thai Girl" book and recall thinking it came across as a very, very early draft or a patchwork of unrelated early drafts.

It's been a while, but as just one example of the book's problems, the afore-mentioned backpackers' political rants seemed to come out of nowhere and relate to nothing later. The characters were not sufficiently realised for us to understand the point of this scene. Was it supposed to be satiric in some way or was it an opportunity for the author to get on a hobby horse ? I am not surprised readers had difficulty knowing what to make of this.

However, I will read the new book and hope to have more positive reaction :o .

Edited by sylviex

Nice to hear from you Andrew.

In regards to the criticisms of your book in this thread, I was able to lose myself in 'Thai girl' for a few hours, which for me is the purpose of a good story. I didn't waste my time analysing it too much. I suppose we all have our own tastes.

I look forward to losing myself in your new book.

Garro - I absolutely agree that to be able to lose oneself in a book is the ideal.

Unfortunately, if ever this started to happen with "Thai Girl", I was quickly jarred out of it. No escape into a smoothly flowing other world; the many faults prevented this and forced analysis apon me. Sorry, the book didn't work at all for me, though it might have, had it been much matured and much sharpened.

Edited by sylviex

My story would involve Mr Bean coming to Thailand and being followed by the psychotic killer from 'no country for old men' - who is out to kill him. High jinks would follow as Mr Bean negotiates his way through Pattaya night life, with the psycho following and slaying everyone in his path. The book would finish in Mae Hong Song where Mr Bean is saved from the psycho by a local Karen girl only to be killed in the final scene by a disgruntled TEFLer.

:o Thanks for that

An autobiography (or close to it)? Well that might be more worth a look.

Hopefully its more engaging than the usual cynical Expat meets bar girl, falls in love, gets cheated, learns a tough lesson, tripe that is turned out all too often.