Buying A Car - Totally Confused

Firstly, I know I know, this has been asked many times before and there is information about it on the net however after doing some research I've found myself even more confused as the information is conflicting.

Just got enaged to my Thai girlfriend and I promised to buy her a car. I won't be driving it (I'm happy with my Vespa) however I want the car in my name seeing as I will be paying for it in full.

Most of the information on the net states that I need a non-immigrant Visa (which I don't qualify for) However today I visisted the Thai immigration office here in Sydney and the senior advisor said I can buy a car on a tourist visa without any problem. :o

Is there a difference between having a car registered in your name and having a car bought in your name or are they one of the same?

Can anyone help me out here. thankyou in advance.

Firstly, I know I know, this has been asked many times before and there is information about it on the net however after doing some research I've found myself even more confused as the information is conflicting.

Just got enaged to my Thai girlfriend and I promised to buy her a car. I won't be driving it (I'm happy with my Vespa) however I want the car in my name seeing as I will be paying for it in full.

Most of the information on the net states that I need a non-immigrant Visa (which I don't qualify for) However today I visisted the Thai immigration office here in Sydney and the senior advisor said I can buy a car on a tourist visa without any problem. :o

Is there a difference between having a car registered in your name and having a car bought in your name or are they one of the same?

Can anyone help me out here. thankyou in advance.

Hi check this web page,they can also help you with everything..Good luck

http://www.expatmotors.co.th/paperwork.html

You need to have a non-immigrant Visa to own a car. Some people have been lucky in that their local Land Transport office hasn't enforced the rule, but the majority do, especially in Bangkok. If you managed you would be open to having all sorts of problems, also as a foreigner you have to provide extra paperwork when buying and selling that you often won't be able to get from your embassy if you don't have a proper visa. BTW, your not really buying your girlfriend a car if it's in your name :o

Edited by madjbs

The OP could get a non immigrant visa simply by asking Sydney for one and getting his girlfriend to copy her ID card and presumably sign it and he states that he is going to see her / she is inviting him to come to see her. They will confirm this by email.

Schillaci,

I have owned three cars in Thailand, each in my name.

The first on a work permit here so that doesn’t really count with regards to your question).

The second on ‘visa exemption stamp’ (i.e. the normal tourist entry type).

The Third with a tourist visa.

Each time I needed a letter of residence (confirming my address in Thailand) from my embassy (at a cost of cost approximately B2000).

It required a new letter of residence from my embassy at the time of selling the car also (less than 3 months old).

I have had no issues with car ownership in my name with just a tourist visa and have not heard of others who have experienced difficulties.

I hope this helps.