Thai Police: A Law Unto Themselves

khunopie

Highly respected publication's look at the Men in Brown Tights....

The Thai police

A law unto themselves

Apr 17th 2008 | BANGKOK

From The Economist print edition

Reforming a corrupt and politicised police force will be tough

IN THAILAND'S most sensational crimes, the prime suspects are often the police. Among current cases are a group of border police accused of abducting innocent people and extorting money from them, and a huge car-theft ring thought to have been run by bent coppers. The prime minister, Samak Sundaravej, this month sacked the national police chief, Sereepisut Taemeeyaves, for alleged corruption. Mr Sereepisut insists he is the victim of a conspiracy by crooked subordinates.

Earlier this month the justice minister visited Chalor Kerdthes, a former police general serving life in jail, belatedly seeking progress on the “blue diamond” affair of the early 1990s, which wrecked Thailand's relations with Saudi Arabia. After the priceless gem and other jewels were stolen from a Saudi royal palace by a Thai worker, three Saudi diplomats seeking their return were murdered in Bangkok. The Thai police supposedly solved the case but the jewels they sent back to Riyadh were fake. Mr Chalor arranged the murders of the family of a gem dealer involved in the case. It is suspected he can dish the dirt on other former police chiefs.

Cases of police graft and abuse of power are legion. In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage “war on drugs”, resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings. The army removed Mr Thaksin in a coup in 2006, promising a thorough investigation of the deaths. It had made little progress by last December's election, won by allies of Mr Thaksin.

In March the American government's annual human-rights report on Thailand criticised the widespread torture of suspects. Last year 751 people died in prison or police custody. Abuses by police (and soldiers) have worsened an insurgency in Thailand's mainly Muslim southern provinces, in which 3,000 people have died since 2004. Predictably, opinion polls show the police are widely mistrusted.

Experts say Thailand's force is not the world's worst: it does have some honest, capable investigators. However, for a country of a fairly high state of development, its record is abysmal. After decades of failed attempts at police reform, a panel set up after the 2006 coup proposed sweeping changes, including creating an independent police-complaints body. Some of the panel's reformists may be sincere. But this looked suspiciously like an attempt to curb Mr Thaksin's power base in the police. Now Mr Samak, although a supposed ally of Mr Thaksin, seems to be building bridges with army chiefs to bolster his own power. So his motives in sacking the police chief and talking of continuing the military government's reforms are also bound to be questioned.

Thai governments tend to rely on the army or the police (or both) to remain in power. So their commands have always been deeply politicised. Like other public institutions they are dominated by a narrow elite of families with tentacles everywhere. “You find the same few surnames wherever you look,” notes Michael Nelson, a political scientist in Bangkok. Indeed, Mr Sereepisut's replacement as police chief has the same surname as a former army chief—his brother.

Thai public servants are less loyal to the institutions that employ them than to their loose network of connections—relatives, ex-classmates from military training or old university chums. The 2006 coup pitted Mr Thaksin's schoolmates against those of General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the then army chief. Police reforms elsewhere have generally succeeded only where a public-spirited and untainted political leadership forced them through. When will Thailand get that sort of leadership?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what "a respected publication" says, I like the Thai Police a thousand more times than your average cops back home. They might line their pockets from time to time, they can also work hard for the people from time to time. Don't change BIB's.

i disagree, i think they are scum.

In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage “war on drugs”, resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

why does the number always change every time i read it? last i heard it was 3000 deaths

In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage “war on drugs”, resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

why does the number always change every time i read it? last i heard it was 3000 deaths

What personal experiences have you had if the Thai Police that leads you to think they are scum?

I don't care what "a respected publication" says, I like the Thai Police a thousand more times than your average cops back home. They might line their pockets from time to time, they can also work hard for the people from time to time. Don't change BIB's.

The fact that you seem to think that comment is relevant shows how poor you powers of comprehension must be and consequently how ridiculous a point of view it is likely to be.

Edited by wilko

So, Where's home, China, Burma, Eastern Europe?

So, you now live in a local temple in CM. Guess when you're out at 6 am, bare footed, begging for food, the boys in brown tights are still asleep.

Where's back home? Somalia? You simply choose to ignore the facts. Beside being a lawless band of extortionist and worse where can we find one of these 250,000 BIB's if we really need one. Wake up! We choose to be here but without connections we are truly on our own.

Have to say the poice in my home country(new zealand) are officious pigs, albeit not corrupt in the slightest

Personally I rpefer the ones in Thailand, and while there is corruption here it is less than in some other countries such as Phillipines, and possibly no more than cities in USA like New Orleans: http://www.alternet.org/katrina/26871/

This is hardly an isolated incident. Another recent Times-Picayune article reported that in April, seven-year veteran officer Corey Johnson was booked with aggravated rape for allegedly forcing a woman to perform oral sex, after he identified himself as an officer in order to enter the woman's Treme home.

Another article states that "eight officers were arrested during a six-month stretch last year on charges that ranged from shoplifting to theft to conspiracy to rob a bank ... In April 2004, 16-year veteran James Adams was booked with aggravated kidnapping, extortion and malfeasance after he was accused of threatening to arrest a woman unless she agreed to have sex with him."

Police misconduct in this notoriously corrupt city goes back decades, and occasionally it explodes in scandal. In a September 2000 report, the Progressive Policy Institute discovered that a 1994 crackdown on police corruption led to 200 officers' dismissals -- plus, upwards of 60 criminal charges (including two murder convictions) among police officers. Investigators discovered that for six months in 1994, as many as 29 New Orleans police officers protected a cocaine supply warehouse containing 286 pounds of the drug. The FBI indicted 10 officers who had been paid nearly $100,000 by undercover agents. The investigation ended abruptly, after one officer successfully orchestrated the execution of a witness.

Edited by clausewitz

Corruption in any country and any form cost a nation dear.....it is the people who end up paying....crap roads, crap jobs, no infrastructure....anything you want to do has to budget for bribery and corruption - it's like a giant leach on society.

Edited by wilko

Based only on what I have read or seen on tv I would agree that almost all Thai police are scum, totally worthless animals, useless and bone lazy.

But, for me personally, I have never had a problem with the police in Thailand in the 7 years I have been here. However, to be sure, I don't put myself into positions where I am likely to have a run in with them. In other words I don't get aroud certain areas at certain times to to in the wrong place at the wrong time, so far (touch wood).

I do hope however, I am never in the situation in Thailand where I am in need of help from the cops, or in a situation where I come into conflict with one. Bottom line, even though I have had no direct experience with the cops here good or bad I hope I never do because I susspect it would be a bad experience for me no matter what the circumstance.

Have to say the poice in my home country(new zealand) are officious pigs, albeit not corrupt in the slightest

Personally I rpefer the ones in Thailand, and while there is corruption here it is less than in some other countries such as Phillipines, and possibly no more than cities in USA like New Orleans: http://www.alternet.org/katrina/26871/

This is hardly an isolated incident. Another recent Times-Picayune article reported that in April, seven-year veteran officer Corey Johnson was booked with aggravated rape for allegedly forcing a woman to perform oral sex, after he identified himself as an officer in order to enter the woman's Treme home.

Another article states that "eight officers were arrested during a six-month stretch last year on charges that ranged from shoplifting to theft to conspiracy to rob a bank ... In April 2004, 16-year veteran James Adams was booked with aggravated kidnapping, extortion and malfeasance after he was accused of threatening to arrest a woman unless she agreed to have sex with him."

Police misconduct in this notoriously corrupt city goes back decades, and occasionally it explodes in scandal. In a September 2000 report, the Progressive Policy Institute discovered that a 1994 crackdown on police corruption led to 200 officers' dismissals -- plus, upwards of 60 criminal charges (including two murder convictions) among police officers. Investigators discovered that for six months in 1994, as many as 29 New Orleans police officers protected a cocaine supply warehouse containing 286 pounds of the drug. The FBI indicted 10 officers who had been paid nearly $100,000 by undercover agents. The investigation ended abruptly, after one officer successfully orchestrated the execution of a witness.

Good point, But it seems to me the major difference is the New Orleans Police are policed. As that article shows, corrupt police are identified and punished. The same can not be said of the Thai police system.

Based only on what I have read or seen on tv I would agree that almost all Thai police are scum, totally worthless animals, useless and bone lazy.

But, for me personally, I have never had a problem with the police in Thailand in the 7 years I have been here. However, to be sure, I don't put myself into positions where I am likely to have a run in with them. In other words I don't get aroud certain areas at certain times to to in the wrong place at the wrong time, so far (touch wood).

I do hope however, I am never in the situation in Thailand where I am in need of help from the cops, or in a situation where I come into conflict with one. Bottom line, even though I have had no direct experience with the cops here good or bad I hope I never do because I susspect it would be a bad experience for me no matter what the circumstance.

The missus' sister is married to a policeman up in a small town near Saraburi. The few times we visited he and his colleagues seemed good guys, no flash cars and living in fairly basic timber housing in the grounds of the police station. But once you get down to where the big money is, particularly tourist areas, more of them are on the take. Although that in itself is a generalisation as can be seen from the cases of extortion against their own people and migrant Burmese workers in the border areas.

So you have been in Thailand seven years. In that time you have never been flagged down for a motoring "offense" for which your 200 Baht donation is gratefully received?

But basically provided you keep your nose clean and don't go around upsetting Thais chances are you won't come into contact with the bad ones. Problem is the standard of policing leaves a lot to be desired. Just have a motor accident, it will be your fault no matter the circumstances and if you are burgled or mugged you'll be very lucky if they catch the perps.

I'm sure everything the economist says is true.

However, anytime I've had to deal with the police (fines, admin, one on the street dispute settlement where I ended up as the middle man between parties, thai citizenship info for my wife) they have been more than fair.

Am fully aware that this impression could change very quickly, if I met a bad apple. But I haven't yet.

Even if you want to be a straight policeman the culture of tea-money and the rest, right up to organised crime and cover-ups is so strong you have to comply just to remain in the force.

just look at the amount of businesses that have police connections and property etc.....

Quote from the story, "Last year 751 people died in prison or police custody." Presumably that was 2007? This figure seems alarmingly high. Do people think this figure is accurate? The term prison, could, I guess, refer to those serving prison terms, in which case the figure might be understandable. The inference is that these people died while in the care/custody of the police, prior to facing a trial, which is a bit scary.

So, you now live in a local temple in CM. Guess when you're out at 6 am, bare footed, begging for food, the boys in brown tights are still asleep.

As per an earlier post, what is your grip! Australia is my place of birth, and place of having repeated frustration with police. Once arrested for kicking an empty stubby lying in my path(18yrs), picked up and put in a bin 5 seconds later, but still arrested for the act(charges dropped by prosection due to idiotic Rambo Police). Sent to court and lost lisence for driving 40 kms over the speed limit (3 lane highway, wooded forest area, no residential, no kids, no paths, just inside city marked boundry 20 metres before a 110km zone, speed, 104kms hour, marked speed limit, 60kms hour, danger to population, NO more than a sparrows fart).

I've got my gripes, and I have every right. I don't like Austrailian cops or the way they act. In Thailand, 7.00am one of our finiest ensures traffic moves smoothly in and out of my daughters school, I give him a big Sawadee (everyday), he smiles like it makes his day, and I get a great kick out of it too. Last year a local Sgt asked for my help in tracking down a farang that had caused considerable problems in CM and commited one of the most dispicaable acts I know of in my years here! I greatfully helped out and the guy is now no longer residing in Thailand. Think what you want, I live by my experiences, Australian cops need a lesson of humility by Thai BIB's.

Anyone who thinks Thai police deserve any form of praise need to have their heads examined.

Agreed, it is difficult to find grounds to praise the Thai police but on that same note, I have a problem with people who automatically assume they are scum, simply because other people say they are. They don't rate highly as a law enforcement body in my book but that's probably because I compare their behavior with the police forces in US, UK, Europe and elsewhere - at a minimum the police force in Thailand lacks a proactive policing presence and this hurts everyone. But none of that is sufficient to suggest they are scum. For me personally, I've never had a bad encounter with the Thai police, on the contrary, they have always been most helpful whenever I have needed or been forced to interact with them. Is there corruption in the Thai police? Well apparently there is because everyone says there is and occasionally we get high profile media items that detail this!! But come on, those things happen in every police force worldwide to a lesser or greater degree. Farangs get upset because the police stop them whilst riding motorbikes in tourist area's and they get fined 200 or 300 baht for not wearing a helmet or not having a valid drivers license - that all seems sensible and/or in the farangs best interests to me. Farangs get upset because they see another road user committing what they believe to be an infraction of the law (as they perceive it) and getting away with it, fair enough again, there is no proactive police presence in Thailand, that's the way it is here. I guess the only thing I can say here is that it's probably best to keep an open mind on the subject rather than to join the herd and automatically slag them off without any real cause.

In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage "war on drugs", resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

What personal experiences have you had if the Thai Police that leads you to think they are scum?

During the last 'War On Drugs' the newly appointed builder of my house arranged to have a squad of some seven police raid my house in search of drugs (they were most surprised to find out I was a farang) as the <deleted> builder thought that if they were to plant/find something, said builder would be able to keep the advance I had stupidly paid upfront for the construction.

This is all on record at the local cop shop, the sargeant on duty at the time of my report, on advice from my solicitor, being filed, I have to say, looked sincerely taken aback and apologetic.

It later transpired that the builder was of course, a relative of another 'high' ranking police officer still working there. SCUM. :o

In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage "war on drugs", resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

During the last 'War On Drugs' the newly appointed builder of my house arranged to have a squad of some seven police raid my house in search of drugs (they were most surprised to find out I was a farang) as the <deleted> builder thought that if they were to plant/find something, said builder would be able to keep the advance I had stupidly paid upfront for the construction.

This is all on record at the local cop shop, the sargeant on duty at the time of my report, on advice from my solicitor, being filed, I have to say, looked sincerely taken aback and apologetic.

It later transpired that the builder was of course, a relative of another 'high' ranking police officer still working there. SCUM. :o

Well you are clearly not in jaol currently thus I suspect the truth was made to surface somehow and it sounds like the police may have played some role in that? I presume the case went to court and this is how all the facts of the case surfaced or is there something else that we don't see here?

As per an earlier post, what is your grip! Australia is my place of birth, and place of having repeated frustration with police. Once arrested for kicking an empty stubby lying in my path(18yrs), picked up and put in a bin 5 seconds later, but still arrested for the act(charges dropped by prosection due to idiotic Rambo Police). Sent to court and lost lisence for driving 40 kms over the speed limit (3 lane highway, wooded forest area, no residential, no kids, no paths, just inside city marked boundry 20 metres before a 110km zone, speed, 104kms hour, marked speed limit, 60kms hour, danger to population, NO more than a sparrows fart).

I've got my gripes, and I have every right. I don't like Austrailian cops or the way they act. In Thailand, 7.00am one of our finiest ensures traffic moves smoothly in and out of my daughters school, I give him a big Sawadee (everyday), he smiles like it makes his day, and I get a great kick out of it too. Last year a local Sgt asked for my help in tracking down a farang that had caused considerable problems in CM and commited one of the most dispicaable acts I know of in my years here! I greatfully helped out and the guy is now no longer residing in Thailand. Think what you want, I live by my experiences, Australian cops need a lesson of humility by Thai BIB's.

your personal encounters with the Aussie (state) police (they don't have a national force?) - say more about the nature of your character than them, what you don't seem to be considering is the role of police in society, and this thread is about the role/behaviour of the Thai police which by any rationale is deplorable.

Regardless of any brushes with we may have had with the law at home - "I weren't doing nuffin', honest, guv" - "I didn't do it, it wasn't me, rack off pig!"

Edited by wilko

your personal encounters with the Aussie (state) police (they don't have a national force?) - say more about the nature of your character than them, what you don't seem to be considering is the role of police in society, and this thread is about the role/behaviour of the Thai police which by any rationale is deplorable.

Regardless of any brushes with we may have had with the law at home - "I weren't doing nuffin', honest, guv" - "I didn't do it, it wasn't me, rack off pig!"

Sorry, but your barking up the wrong tree. My personal encounters with police as you politely insinuate too, as being part of my character rather than that of intrenched problems within a police force, are exactly why I don't like the Australian police or state police force as you point out. YOU ARE WRONG, AND THAT'S MY POINT..... My reputation and character is one of non-violence, non-confrontation. I completely and utter adhere to respecting the rights, health and safety of people around me. I might not like the laws of majority in some instances, but as a norm I do live by them. I do not and have never been an agressive person, a criminal, jailed or social outcast of any type. My work and commitment to family are proof of a life lived respecting those around me..........

Exactly what I am talking about was show on TV last night, channel 23 UBC 21/4/08 on a show called Revenge. In two separate cases, British Police were found guilty of serious assult charges. Filmed by vigilant citizens, one shows a policeman "king" hitting a drunk walking home from the pub. The case was investigated, the policeman sacked from the police force and the complaintant recieved 7500 pounds civil payout. Now, what would have happened if the guys vigilant neighbour had not been videoing out of his window at 2am in the morning. The cop would been right every time. Abuse of power. The Rambo attitude of Australian cops is exactly the same. This is what I hate!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Sorry, but your barking up the wrong tree. My personal encounters with police as you politely insinuate too, as being part of my character rather than that of intrenched problems within a police force, are exactly why I don't like the Australian police or state police force as you point out. YOU ARE WRONG, AND THAT'S MY POINT..... My reputation and character is one of non-violence, non-confrontation. I completely and utter adhere to respecting the rights, health and safety of people around me. I might not like the laws of majority in some instances, but as a norm I do live by them. I do not and have never been an agressive person, a criminal, jailed or social outcast of any type. My work and commitment to family are proof of a life lived respecting those around me..........

Exactly what I am talking about was show on TV last night, channel 23 UBC 21/4/08 on a show called Revenge. In two separate cases, British Police were found guilty of serious assult charges. Filmed by vigilant citizens, one shows a policeman "king" hitting a drunk walking home from the pub. The case was investigated, the policeman sacked from the police force and the complaintant recieved 7500 pounds civil payout. Now, what would have happened if the guys vigilant neighbour had not been videoing out of his window at 2am in the morning. The cop would been right every time. Abuse of power. The Rambo attitude of Australian cops is exactly the same. This is what I hate!

.......and do you seriously think the Thai police would have sacked the man ????......jeeeez....they kill people here and just get transferred to another town!

^^^

As you mentioned, the Thai Police are certainly not people to mess with. How about the girl that had her arm cut off? What about the two innocent tourists in Knachaniburi? The rental car scam? We could go on, but comparing the Thai police with Aus,UK and USA are like comparing apples to oranges. Okay, the motoring offences is OK, 200-400 bht and on ytour way, but let's be honest we are talking about other types of crime as well, and a number of these are prepetuated by the the police.

Anyone that can defend the practices of the Thai police seriously needs to think about the knock on effect of their corruption to those throughout Thai society. I'm pretty certain that the cost is pretty huge.

I've had a couple run-in's with the Thai cops while out driving, but nothing serious. One time, the license plate on my car fell off the front end and I got stopped for that. After pretending not to speak any Thai, the policeman's superior spoke to me in English and told me to just get a new plate. No fine, and they sent me on my way with a smile.

As for the New Orleans police, they're known for corruption and they're also some of the lowest paid city cops in the USA.

Firstly, unless the Australian judicial process is completely different from the UK, it was the courts who took your licence off you for travelling at nearly twice the limit not the police. Judging from the anti-police attitude that you are displaying here, you probably gave the officer who pulled you over a mouthfull over catching real criminals blah blah. Said officer then probably decided that "words of advice" would fall on deaf ears and summonsed you to appear at court. The magistrate obviously disagreed with you re the mitigating factors also. Quite why the police are 'Rambos" and not as humble as the Thai police because they prosecuted you for it I don't know. Do you believe it is better to be able to bribe your way out of it there and then? At what level of offence do you believe that bribery should not be acceptable?

Similarly there is more to the story of you getting arrested for merely kicking a bottle in the street. Exactly what offence were you arrested for?

I personally have never had any negative experiences with the Thai police and have been dealt with professionally every time they have decided to randomly stop and search me, including one time outside my apartment block early in the evening. However if I was ever involved in a negative situation with a police officer I would much prefer to be in a western country where the courts and complaints procedures are far more robust and far more of a deterrent to a corrupt officer.

BTW if the BIB near you are so good, why did they need you to catch this criminal who committed such a "dispicaable (sic) act"

I know 3 or 4 times when they blatantly stole any motorcycle that ended up in their compound.. had to be paid ransom to return them.. That happens continually and consistently, if its a farangs bike and it ends up in the compound they just nick it and happily ride round on it as though its thiers.

They blatantly swept the killing of a 15 year old girl under the carpet for as much as they could.. Tried ever trick in the book to let the Thai drunk driver off.. Only managed to get anything happening at all with a good lawyer pushing.. Police attitude was 'she not Thai.. so what ??'

They wont do anything without a financial motice.. had a crime happen ?? so what ?? Pay me and I might look into it !!

Our lot qualify as scum.. Might be different out of the tourist scene but I doubt it..

Anyone who thinks Thai police deserve any form of praise need to have their heads examined.

Agreed, it is difficult to find grounds to praise the Thai police but on that same note, I have a problem with people who automatically assume they are scum, simply because other people say they are. They don't rate highly as a law enforcement body in my book but that's probably because I compare their behavior with the police forces in US, UK, Europe and elsewhere - at a minimum the police force in Thailand lacks a proactive policing presence and this hurts everyone. But none of that is sufficient to suggest they are scum. For me personally, I've never had a bad encounter with the Thai police, on the contrary, they have always been most helpful whenever I have needed or been forced to interact with them. Is there corruption in the Thai police? Well apparently there is because everyone says there is and occasionally we get high profile media items that detail this!! But come on, those things happen in every police force worldwide to a lesser or greater degree. Farangs get upset because the police stop them whilst riding motorbikes in tourist area's and they get fined 200 or 300 baht for not wearing a helmet or not having a valid drivers license - that all seems sensible and/or in the farangs best interests to me. Farangs get upset because they see another road user committing what they believe to be an infraction of the law (as they perceive it) and getting away with it, fair enough again, there is no proactive police presence in Thailand, that's the way it is here. I guess the only thing I can say here is that it's probably best to keep an open mind on the subject rather than to join the herd and automatically slag them off without any real cause.

The Thai Police Force is a criminal organization,...bigger than the government,...nobody can stop them.

If they do stumble onto a crime, they just want a piece of it.

And the Army? WORSE.

Robbing the Country blind.

And that big blue diamond from Saudia Arabia? Ask any taxi driver where it went.

Talking about it's alledged new owner is against this forums rules.