Business Meetings In Thailand

Dr. Burrito

Had one of those last minute meetings again today that seem to be part of life here. It doesn't really bother me, its just humorous is all, if sometimes a bit occasionally counterproductive.

A potential client calls me out of the blue. 'Can you get over here today and have a look at our problem and see if we can work together?' After ascertaining the problem, I say sure, we'll flag a cab and do our thing. Get the time, the place and tell my lead support staff what it is they are after and that I want her to go along. We arrange to meet outside the location at said time and off to put out another fire I go.

Kind hearted kid she is, she decides to drag along another associate without telling me. So outside the location, there they wait. I'm like, oh, interesting, I didn't know we were going to this thing enmasse. Since anything at this point would prove embarrassing for the girl, I shine it on, and in we go.

Sure enough, we get upstairs and the Thai's there have done the same thing. Ten bobbing heads that seem to have no greater purpose than watch. What seems like twenty business cards later, myself and possible client square off, my support gal does her bit, and very well at that, and then off we go. The other girl was just there, as were most of the people from the other side, staring, watching with occasional nod and 'Ah, yes, we see.'

I had my umpteenth conversation back at the office, 'Please tell me next time, okay,' followed by the, 'Sorry, Khun Burrito, I forgot, I fogot,' and all was well in Disneyland once more.

I just find the way that meetings are handled to be immensely humorous from time to time. I can't say its every destroyed anything, mostly just been an extra distraction from time to time.

Yourselves? Funny Thai company/meeting stories, or horror stories for that matter?