British/Filipina Couple Flee To Thailand From Adultery Arrest In Philippines

sriracha john

Couple flee from adultery arrest

An English man facing jail in the Philippines for adultery with a married woman, has fled to Thailand with the woman and their baby daughter.

David Scott, 36, of Swindon, Wiltshire, had a child with Cynthia Delfino, 29, who had left her husband, but was not divorced at the time.

The pair were arrested on suspicion of adultery. If convicted, they could be jailed for seven years.

They were later granted bail and have now fled to Bangkok.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it stood ready to provide consular assistance if requested.

Mr Scott met Ms Delfino in an internet chatroom in 2006.

- BBC / 21-04-08

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Please note additional information indicates only the man is British, his girlfriend is Filipina

scottAC2004_468x427.jpg

Hopeful: David Scott and Cynthia Delfino are fighting to keep their new family together

Briton locked up for adultery pleads to bring baby home

A British man told of his dramatic escape from the Philippines with his girlfriend and baby daughter after the couple were threatened with seven years in prison for adultery. David Scott, 36, is now in Thailand and is petitioning the British government to let the whole family come to the UK.

However, he has been told that because his Filipina girlfriend was still married when their daughter was born, the child is not legally his.

When Mr Scott met Cynthia Villamor, 29, through an internet chatroom, she was living in Abu Dhabi and had been separated from her husband for three years.

She became pregnant with their daughter, Janina, when he visited her in April last year and she immediately tried to end her marriage. However, the devoutly Catholic Philippines does not allow divorce and Miss Villamor's husband, Noriel Delfino, withdrew permission for an annulment when he found out his wife was dating a foreigner.

He then demanded £7,000 for "loss of face".

When the couple refused to pay up, armed police - and Mr Delfino - stormed their home in Caloocan, north of the capital Manila. They spent the New Year in a filthy jail, and had to bribe officials to be granted bail.

Janina was born weeks later and, with Mr Scott facing re-arrest, he decided that the family's only option was to flee the country. Miss Villamor said: "It's so good to be free at last, but our future is still uncertain. "I have to throw myself on the mercy of the British government to be with our baby."

Mr Scott added: "Now at last I can fight without my hands tied to bring my daughter home." The plasterer, from Swindon, said that when he flew out to see his girlfriend at the end of last year, he was overjoyed at the prospect of becoming a father. But on December 30, the authorities came after the couple.

"Our house was surrounded and all the police had drawn weapons on us. They charged us and put us in a large cell with scores of others. It was filthy and rats would come and go as they pleased. Three days later we were eventually offered bail of about £150, but we had to pay over £1,000 under the table just to get it. I could see this case was not about right or wrong. It was about who could make money."

He added: "As soon as we got out of sight we just ran. We were in contact with the embassy by phone. We lived rough in a derelict house and some nights in a banana plantation, cooking over a wood fire. We were terrified of being re-arrested."

Mr Scott's call to the embassy confirmed the seriousness of the case. Officials told him that even though he was Janina's father, the law said the child belonged to Mr Delfino.

But after Mr Scott took up the case with his MP, Anne Snelgrove, the embassy said that if he could provide DNA tests witnessed by embassy officials, then Janina could obtain British citizenship. However, this could take eight months and there were only days left before he faced re-arrest.

It was then the couple managed to get on a plane to Bangkok. Miss Villamor said: "We did not get out a day too soon. On the day we left we heard at the airport that police had issued another warrant for our arrest because my husband had taken a second case of adultery against us both."

Today the couple will go to a hospital in Bangkok for DNA tests to prove that Mr Scott is the father of Janina. Once that is confirmed, they can apply for a British passport for her and Mr Scott hopes that the whole family will one day be able to live together in Britain.

His mother, Anne Scott, 60, said yesterday: "I'm so glad they are safe now from bullying officials."

- Daily Mail (UK) (today)

full_943270c1056f03.jpg

David Scott and girlfriend Cynthia

Swindon man escapes from Filipino prison

A fugitive father facing seven years in a Filipino prison for adultery has managed to flee to Thailand with his girlfriend and baby daughter.

But his mother has warned that he is still not safe and has pleaded with the British government to help her boy. David Scott, 36, of Walcot, was forced to leave the Philippines after fathering a child with his Filipino girlfriend, Cynthia Delfino, who was still not officially separated from her estranged husband.

Under Filipino law this made him guilty of adultery, which carries a seven-year sentence, and also meant that three-month old Janina was not legally seen as David's daughter.

Now, after three months spent in rat-infested jail cells and living rough in derelict houses and the jungle, the couple have managed to bribe their way into Thailand.

David's mother, Ann, 60, said: "You can really see the change in them both since they got to Thailand. "Before they looked scared and miserable but now you can see the relief in their faces. But the problem is that now they are stuck there with no money and nowhere to go. They have to pay £500 for a passport for the baby and £500 for a DNA test to prove that Cynthia really is the mother, which is ridiculous. I've lost count of how many times I've contacted the British Embassy but they never seem to know what's going on. I spoke to David the other day and he said he just wanted to come home. I can't for the life of me understand why the British government won't let them come home."

"It's not as if Cynthia wants anything from this country - if anything she could bring a lot. She's been to university, she's got qualifications coming out of her ears and she speaks three languages. I think I've been through enough in the last year - my husband died, I've had a heart attack and my son has been arrested. If it wasn't for my daughter, Jane, and councillor Mavis Childs, who has been an absolute rock, I don't know how I would have got through. I just want him back here and I desperately want to meet my little granddaughter."

David, speaking from Bangkok, said: "Now I can fight without my hands tied to bring my daughter back home. I was not going to let the husband or the authorities take away my daughter - over my dead body. I am free and penniless and have been supported by my mum and some very good friends."

Ann said she would love to hear from anyone who would like to help with fundraising for the couple, or who could offer advice.

- Gazette & Herald (UK) (today)

Edited by sriracha john

Briton facing jail 'flees Philippines'

A British man who was facing jail in the Philippines for adultery has reportedly fled the country.

David Scott, 36, a plasterer from Swindon, was remanded in custody last year with his married girlfriend Cynthia Delfino, 29, who has since given birth to his child.

With the fear of re-arrest hanging over them, the couple and their baby fled to the Thai capital, Bangkok, according to reports. They were being held for adultery, an offence which can carry a seven-year prison term in the devoutly Catholic Philippines.

Officials reportedly told the couple their daughter Janina must be handed over to Cynthia's estranged husband, Noriel Delfino. Legally the child was his as she was born before his marriage was annulled.

Having spent New Year in jail, they were granted bail after giving Filipino officials a £1,000 bribe. Janina was born weeks later.

With the fear of re-arrest hanging over them, the couple and their baby fled to the Thai capital, Bangkok, according to reports. They now intend to get DNA tests done to prove Mr Scott is Janina's father before applying to get her a British passport.

Mr Scott is hoping UK authorities will allow his family to come and live in Britain with him.

A spokesman for Anne Snelgrove, Mr Scott's MP in Swindon, said she had made representations on his behalf to British officials.

Mr Scott, recalling his ordeal, said: "They charged us and put us in a large cell with scores of others. It was filthy and rats would come and go as they pleased.

"Three days later we were eventually offered bail of about £150, but we had to pay over £1,000 under the table just to get it.

"I could see this case was not about right or wrong. It was about who could make money. As soon as we got out of sight we just ran."

When Mr Delfino, who split from his wife several years ago, found out she was dating a foreigner, he refused her an annulment and demanded £7,000 for "loss of face".

When this payment was refused he called police and the couple were arrested.

- Independent Television News (today)

Couple flee from adultery arrest

An English man facing jail in the Philippines for adultery with a married woman, has fled to Thailand with the woman and their baby daughter.

David Scott, 36, of Swindon, Wiltshire, had a child with Cynthia Delfino, 29, who had left her husband, but was not divorced at the time.

The pair were arrested on suspicion of adultery. If convicted, they could be jailed for seven years.

They were later granted bail and have now fled to Bangkok.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it stood ready to provide consular assistance if requested.

Mr Scott met Ms Delfino in an internet chatroom in 2006.

- BBC / 21-04-08

if you break the law in a foreign country you have to pay your dues i have no sympathy

English teeth, big ears and a great career opportunity waiting for him in the UK. Oh she married a catch alright. I bet if she does get to the UK, in a year's time after a wonderful damp cold experience with her dream mate, she'll be longing for that prison cell.

The Philippines do have their priorities right though, imprison people that pose no threat to society and let the corrupt thugs walk about. :o Makes Thailand seem so more advanced.

Adultery is also an offence in the UK, so it will be interesting to see how the British authorities will look at this.

Duh, I didn't read carefuly, so please excuse my lack of accuracy in my initial post. I meant to say Bigomy, and then realised that they weren't married. :o I'm off to put my dunces cap on and sit in the corner. :D:D

Edited by mrtoad

He broke the law by having relations with a married woman, but surely not the spirit of the law in that she was separated from him at the time. I'm amazed that any non-muslim country would see this as a more than trivial breach and not just treat it as a private matter not worth pursuing.

Right on.....the husband couldn't give a toss about his "wife" who he hadn't bothered with for 3 years.

Good luck to them as they clearly are madly in love having gone through all that together. The law may say they have an illegal liason....but then the law is an ass.

English teeth, big ears and a great career opportunity waiting for him in the UK.

Good job he's in Thailand where big ears denote wisdom and compassion. He might not have a PhD but being a plasterer is a well-paid trade and they are in regular demand.

They both broke the law in the Philippines (she in particular as she knew she was not in a position to get married) and both should serve the jail sentences they were given. Hopefully, the Philippine (or Thai) authorities will see to it that they are extradited back to the Philippines to serve their sentences.

When Mr Delfino, who split from his wife several years ago, found out she was dating a foreigner, he refused her an annulment and demanded £7,000 for "loss of face".

Yep, I can see this gut really loves his "wife" (estranged 3 years) and wants her back to mend his broken heart.

Two people fell madly in love, had a baby and want a new life....together. The "husband" is as above. They broke the law? Really? What if the law is an ass and won't give them an out? They have done nothing wrong in my eyes and all the very best to them. This lady has a chance for the first time in her life of a decent and happy future. Who should deny them this?

As to breaking the law in another country and paying for it....what a joke! How many tens of thousands of farang break the law each and every day in Thailand by going with prostitutes??

"Prostitution has been technically illegal in Thailand since 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations"

I don't reckon I will be packing my toothbrush on this one just yet.

He broke the law by having relations with a married woman, but surely not the spirit of the law in that she was separated from him at the time. I'm amazed that any non-muslim country would see this as a more than trivial breach and not just treat it as a private matter not worth pursuing.

It is a Catholic country. That is just as bad. That is why they do not allow divorce, only annulments.

They both broke the law in the Philippines (she in particular as she knew she was not in a position to get married) and both should serve the jail sentences they were given. Hopefully, the Philippine (or Thai) authorities will see to it that they are extradited back to the Philippines to serve their sentences.

In reading this post I was rather hoping to discover an irony buried somehere therein but it seems entirely sincere. Quite breathtaking really but still possibly a trolling comment ( one would hope ).

I am not sure what extradition agreements have been signed between the two countries but it is a convention that for the return of a fugitive from one to the other it should be proven that the offender has committed a crime that exists in both countries' penal codes. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain that adultery in Thailand is not a criminal offence, for if it were then probably half the country would be behind bars.

Under an amendment to the British Nationality Act which came into operation in 2006, children born out of wedlock to British fathers could apply for citizenship provided paternity was proven. Assuming the DNA test confirms this then it will doubtless follow that a settlement visa application will be submitted in respect of the mother and the family will be allowed to proceed fairly quickly to the UK.

Certainly, the father has proven himself to be committed to the relationship and one would wish them a prosperous and flourishing future in Swindon, notwithstanding the churlish views expressed by others about that town and the father's position in the socio-economic order that may prevail there.

Edited by pliny

Be thankful it is not an Islamic country, where she could have been stoned to death. :o

finally, a suggestion that is environmentally a bit more sensitive than wasting fossil fuels and extraditing them.

For goodness sake, men and women stray in marriage all the time; he is hardly the height of attractive and she has a face for radio.

Surely we can all be thankful that they are together and thus not on the dating pool for the rest of us?!

extradited for adultery? there would barely be a farang man in Thailand if that happened!

"she in particular as she knew she was not in a position to get married"

She (they) have not got married so why add this bit of superfluous cr*p into the argument.

If they get to the UK "and I for one wish them the best of British in doing that" they if they choose can live for the rest of their lives without getting married.

It is fortunate that not all country's on this planet have such medieval and draconic laws as the Philippenes. :o

If they (the couple) read this you have my support 100%

Edited by john b good

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain that adultery in Thailand is not a criminal offence, for if it were then probably half the country would be behind bars.

I am sure that adultery and/or bigamy (or its equivalent) is illegal in Thailand too...as it is in most, countries.

I smell an awful lot colonial mentality in most of the sympathetic posts. A Westerner goes to poor Third World country and breaks the criminal laws, and because it is not a criminal offense "back home," he should not suffer the consequences of his actions. Furthermore, he should be praised for thumbing his nose at the countries justice system and taking flight from justice. As has been pointed out ad hominem, extra-territoriality went out with Queen Victoria!

Maybe to many people with "modern" sensibilities a little adultery on the side is no big deal. However, to most people around the world it is a VERY serious offense. The female partner is this case surely knew this to be true...I blame her more than anyone for the situation the couple are now in. It is irrelevant that she may have been blackmailed by her former spouse for an annulment. Marriage is considered very serious business in the Philippines for various historical and cultural reasons I will no get into here. Being a Filipina, it is unlikely she will be able to stay away from her family and homeland forever. If and when she returns, it's likely she will have to answer for her crimes.

It may come as a surprise to most, but adultery, or as it is sometimes known "alienation of affection," is still a civil and CRIMINAL offense in some states of the American South. Recently, some men have been sued in civil courts for damages by husbands who have been the victim of this offense.

Edited by jonniebkk

It would seem that the conception did not take place in the Philippines, so the question must be raised as to whether they have in fact committed adultery under Philippine law. It would seem that they are not guilty unless the Philippines law can be applied outside the country, which I'm fairly certain it can not.