How Much Would I Need To Spend For A Reasonably Priced Car?

garro

I am just looking for something for getting around town, and maybe the occasional long distance journey. It needs to be more functional than anything else, and I don't mind looking cheap. It does need to be safe though as I have a baby. I am only a teacher so it needs to suit my budget. It will be my first car.

How much should I spend on a reasonably priced second-hand car.

Edited by garro

Hi Garro, nice to see u in the motoring forum. My first car was a honda city (1998, 1,5 non-vtec, 105 hp). It was a pretty good car and had little if any problem with it for 80K kms. Sold it to a car tent for 245K 4 yrs ago. You might want to consider the revised edition, honda city type Z, vtec engine model (1999-2002 model). You can get with either the auto or manual. I think the manual version woould be pretty good to drive. I think you could get one for 300-350K baht now. You would get about 12km/l for fuel consumption.

a couple here:

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...81434&row=2

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...81109&row=2

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/cardetails...81404&row=2

If I needed a cheap secondhand car it's what I would consider. I think the top model has abs/airbag as well.

I paid about 350K for mine, and sold it for 245K (could have gotted a better price selling it privately) 4 years later, so really it was quite good value.

Hi Garro, nice to see u in the motoring forum. My first car was a honda city (1998, 1,5 non-vtec, 105 hp). It was a pretty good car and had little if any problem with it for 80K kms. Sold it to a car tent for 245K 4 yrs ago. You might want to consider the revised edition, honda city type Z, vtec engine model (1999-2002 model). You can get with either the auto or manual. I think the manual version woould be pretty good to drive. I think you could get one for 300-350K baht now. You would get about 12km/l for fuel consumption.

a couple here:

If I needed a cheap secondhand car it's what I would consider. I think the top model has abs/airbag as well.

I paid about 350K for mine, and sold it for 245K (could have gotted a better price selling it privately) 4 years later, so really it was quite good value.

How much more expensive are Honda parts than Toyota parts? I've 'heard' that Toyota has cheaper parts than the other japanese cars... is this true or false?

:o

a couple here:

How much more expensive are Honda parts than Toyota parts? I've 'heard' that Toyota has cheaper parts than the other japanese cars... is this true or false?

I would say the price difference (if there is any), isn't enough to justify making a decision based on this alone. Same for fuel consumption and quality really. So it's up to your personal taste and what you enjoy driving. Toyota seems to have a softer suspension though, than honda. So it might be better for Thai roads. Probably why they are used as taxis. Comfortable cheap and reliable. I've only ever seen one honda taxi in 8 years here (not sure why, it might be a policy of honda not to use them as taxis. Not sure). I liked my first honda, and like my second (apart from the 16K airbag sensor that will need replacing!!!) So really it's up to you to drive them and see what you like.

It's Honda's global policy not to allow their cars to use as taxi. It's something about them building their "exclusive" image, they won't even allow to use Hondas as limousine service.

I don't know, some Honda fans feel themselves proud because of that, but, on the other hand, maybe they are not as reliable and cheap to run as taxis need to be.

I would ask around about CVT transmission that was fitted on all recent Jazz/City. I've read several times that its maintanance was costly for Honda and god knows how it will run in the second hand car. Culicine's City had an old style, regular 4 speed auto.

You can find manual, true, but that would be from the bottom of the pile - the lowest possible specs for cheapest charlies. Chances are the windows will be manual, too, and you can forget safety stuff like ABS. No face value by Thai standrads.

On the plus side, spare parts and service for these later model Hondas are on par with Toyotas (Culicine's Honda probably comparatively more expensive to maintain).

We still have a ten year old Toyota Soluna running around, it's not a monster on the road, but it's still cheap to run, never breaks down, and has all the gizmos. We "sold" it to our auntie for 150k last year.

My verdict - second hand Vios, best value for money.

'Honda probably comparatively more expensive to maintain'

My CVT Jazz the Service at Honda Main Dealership is around 720 baht this is for oil, filters, labour.. both on the 20,000km and the 30,000km..... I do not think that is expensive...

As for a 2md hand car...

Good perfect condition VW Golf or Passat sell between 95 - 135,000, for a 10yr old model, if you don't want to go with Toyota..

Now in Thailand you can buy a brand new car for 350,000

I thought of Honda Jazz first, but it had this new transmission thingy, CVT, that wasn't to Honda's reliabiity standards, so they abandoned it in new models.

Sorry not 100% true....... Honda did a 80,000 baht FREE upgrade on the CVT........ The new Jazz has the Civic Auto box, but this is untill the new 7 speed CVT has been fully tested, and the 'old' CVT cost Honda many millions to fix.

as for 'new transmission thingy, CVT' again sorry it is not new it was fitted to cars way back 40 years ago !!

Edited by ignis

I've seen cars about 10 years old that cost about that money, always test drive during a non busy time of day to allow you to fully assess the car. Ask to see the log book or at least a copy of the main page so you can confirm the year (it will be in Thai fomat). Second hand cars in Thailand retain value compared to the US or Europe so it is least easy to compare with prices "back home". Toyotas, Nissans and the like are easily serviced locally. That said I bought a Ford Ranger!

I thought of Honda Jazz first, but it had this new transmission thingy, CVT, that wasn't to Honda's reliabiity standards, so they abandoned it in new models.

Sorry not 100% true....... Honda did a 80,000 baht FREE upgrade on the CVT........ The new Jazz has the Civic Auto box, but this is untill the new 7 speed CVT has been fully tested, and the 'old' CVT cost Honda many millions to fix.

as for 'new transmission thingy, CVT' again sorry it is not new it was fitted to cars way back 40 years ago !!

Well, they spend millions to fix those boxes with free upgrades for everyone. Doesn't say much about their reliability, does it?

Techonology might not be new, but it was the first and locally produced CVT by Honda (there's another local CVT box in Mitsu Lancer, but they aren't selling like hot cakes, are they?).

In Vios you'd get a time tested, unbreakable 4 speed auto.

120k is not enough for either of them, anyway. NV, I suppose, then.

If you're looking to spend 120K Baht, we're in the same boat! I'm also a teacher and a new, 4-door pickup seems like a pipe dream. There are actually quite a few cars around for that price and even for far less than that. If you don't mind driving something old/simple, you could find a decent car and maybe spend a couple thousand Baht for a tune-up. Labor is cheap here, which is to our advantage. A guy I work with from England bought a used car for 300K Baht (Ford Focus). He didn't even bother having it checked over by a mechanic; he figured if anything went bad, he'd just have it fixed. Couldn't do that in the West, repair costs are a nightmare over there!

I am just looking for something for getting around town, and maybe the occasional long distance journey. It needs to be more functional than anything else, and I don't mind looking cheap. It does need to be safe though as I have a baby. I am only a teacher so it needs to suit my budget. It will be my first car.

How much should I spend on a reasonably priced second-hand car.

Ideally go Japanese, saloon, with rear seat belts (not NV unless it's the old estate version), not over 12 years, not an old pickup if you are interested in safety (no ABS, airbags, not good for city driving). 100k is possible for a decent car. Don't buy from a tent if you only to pay a 'reasonable amount' as their mark up is something like 25% and there is generally no warranty. I would wait until June when you will find many teachers selling their cars at the end of their contracts at a good price. I expect to sell one or two for my friends in the teaching profession then. Personally I have found that a cars bought from a farang are generally well maintained, but up 2 U. When you buy, run the engine at a standstill for a while with the aircon on full and check for over heating. Check for any signs of respray, ask to see any bills for any repair work done etc etc. Don't worry about body work, interior, stereo etc. these things can be repaired cheaply. Chassis and engine are more important.

The best buy in a used car is a Nissan NV. Taxed like a pickup truck and drives like a car. Other than being pretty small it is very good transportation.
This is all I know to recommend, and the ones with the small rear seat are suitable for a child (but you may have to get good belts installed). I bought mine from a tent in 2006, a 1997 model, and paid 140,000 baht for it (with new tires and a cover). Boyfriend (who now has a gem of a used Soluna) agrees that while you can buy a Nissan cheaper, the reliability is almost the same as Toyota.

Garro, you are not going to get much for 80K. This NV is my very first pickup after 18 saloons, estates, and dropheads, but I love it.

The best buy in a used car is a Nissan NV. Taxed like a pickup truck and drives like a car. Other than being pretty small it is very good transportation.
This is all I know to recommend, and the ones with the small rear seat are suitable for a child (but you may have to get good belts installed). I bought mine from a tent in 2006, a 1997 model, and paid 140,000 baht for it (with new tires and a cover). Boyfriend (who now has a gem of a used Soluna) agrees that while you can buy a Nissan cheaper, the reliability is almost the same as Toyota.

Garro, you are not going to get much for 80K. This NV is my very first pickup after 18 saloons, estates, and dropheads, but I love it.

Hi PB, I didn't even consider 80k, I am thinking about 120k.

It's Honda's global policy not to allow their cars to use as taxi. It's something about them building their "exclusive" image, they won't even allow to use Hondas as limousine service.

There isn't alot Honda can do to stop what their cars are used for once they have been sold.

I have ridden in and seen Hondas used as Taxis in BKK. Granted nowhere near the numbers of Toyotas but they do exist.

Agree with you that a second hand Vios would be an excellent choice of car but as the OP doesn't seem to have enough to get one maybe a good search for a Soluna will find one thats quite decent.

There isn't alot Honda can do to stop what their cars are used for once they have been sold.

I have ridden in and seen Hondas used as Taxis in BKK. Granted nowhere near the numbers of Toyotas but they do exist.

Agree with you that a second hand Vios would be an excellent choice of car but as the OP doesn't seem to have enough to get one maybe a good search for a Soluna will find one thats quite decent.

What may be interesting to find out is WHY certain brands of cars are used as taxis more than others, aside from Honda's 'restrictions'.

Is it because of any of the following?

1) Reliability

2) Durability

3) Simplicity in Design and therefore ease of repairs

4) Price of Car Parts

If it's because of car parts price, does anyone have examples of car part price differences?

Edited by junkofdavid2

Old shape mazda 323.. Asian parts pricing, cheap to run, comfy little thing.. 150 - 180 would see the newer 323 also. Much nicer to drive than a NV.

Really at 100 - 120 the pickings are slim, almost better to stump up another 50 to get a lot more reliability and car for the smallish difference. Audi 100's around if you look hard at that higher price but beware of parts pricing. Lot of car in an audi tho.

You could go the other way with your 120,000 baht and be different….

I know of 2 cars - Private sale.

32yr old Ford Capri with a 6 cylinder Toyota engine runs on 91.

33yr old Triumph 2000 also with a 6 cylinder Toyota engine and runs on 91.

Both in top condition

Seen a number of 1600 BMWs of the mid 70’s for less than 120k

Old shape mazda 323.. Asian parts pricing, cheap to run, comfy little thing.. 150 - 180 would see the newer 323 also. Much nicer to drive than a NV.

Really at 100 - 120 the pickings are slim, almost better to stump up another 50 to get a lot more reliability and car for the smallish difference. Audi 100's around if you look hard at that higher price but beware of parts pricing. Lot of car in an audi tho.

Also a lot of car = Volvo 244 + 440 + 460, Saab 9000 + the older VW Passat and Vento, lots around for 100- 120..

All the Volvo 244/240/740 I know all have Toyota Engines in them..

Hi :o

I have a Volvo 460 with it's original engine in it. The price for these in reasonable condition is around 120-140k now. Mine is year 94, 2 liter engine, automatic (4-speed as opposed to older Toyota's 3-Speed), "GLE" model. No airbags but got ABS and side-impact-protection. The car is heavy and a gas guzzler, but very safe, stable body. Does 170 km/h if need be, runs on gasohol 95. Seat belts for all 5 seats.

Weaknesses:

- Aircondition. Rather weak, if you drive long distance in the sun it gets hot. Aircon only "on" or "off", can't regulate.

- Original spare parts, if needed, are expensive (luckily rarely needs any).

- Had an accident in 2003 (motorbike crashed into me), body damage was fixed sloppy by "insurance garage". Hood would need re-do (paintwork), doesn't bother me.

- Currently automatic antenna doesn't work, will fix that.

Good points:

- Tyres 185/65/15 less than 10k km's, on mags

- engine runs like a fine swiss watch (140.000 km's)

- does not consume oil at all

- no rust on entire body/chassis

- timing belt/water pump/pulleys new at 125.000 km's

- aircondition radiator/heat exchanger new March 2008 (had a leak)

- Sony (genuine!) CD-radio

If you're interested, PM me.

Best regards......

Thanh

post-13387-1208932942_thumb.jpg

All taxis are licensed and registered, and they all belong to some kind of cooperatives, even if privately owned, if they don't do Hondas, they don't do Hondas. They are pretty strict about it, there are lots of legal requirements to pass before you can call yourself a taxi.

I've never seen a Honda taxi, ever.

Car makers often offer special "taxi" models not available to general population. Some Corollas don't even have tachometers, for example, or have a "Limo" badge at the back.

I think NV is ok, or it would be better if the OP can stretch himself a bit and buy previous generation City/Soluna (before Jazz and Vios came on). Fuel economy, spare parts, maintanance - it can't be beaten. Many of them have all original parts and a full service history, not a second hand foreign engine installed by god knows who.

Hello.

There ARE Honda taxis out there, usually Civic's. And i know something about "how" and "why".

Say you own a Honda and are not happy with it. Easy, make it a taxi. The authorities have absolutely no problem, they'd even allow a pickup to be a taxi (which i have seen only once). BUT as soon as Honda finds out, they will take the car away from you and fully compensate (i.e. pay back to you). There is a clause in the contract or something which does not exactly forbid you to make it a taxi (they can't do that) but will not allow you to operate one for long, the car must be sold back to Honda upon their request.

My boyfriend (Thai) took a longer ride in a Honda taxi and the driver explained it to him - clever business people they are, they buy almost-new Civics that had been in an accident, fix them, make them taxis and then sell them to Honda which pays a lot more than the car would fetch in the used-car market.

You can make any car a taxi as long as it fills the requirements - 4 doors, 1.6 liters engine minimum. There are ecxceptions - older cars (those Mitsubishi "Champ") are allowed with 1.5 liter engines, and i once saw a Soluna (1.5 as well). Apart from that, everything can. Saw a pickup once (4-Door Hilux Tiger in red-blue), a Camry 2.0, a Volvo 850, several Thairung station wagons (modified pickups really), Toyota Innova vans, Suzuki APV.

The "Corolla" is so popular as a taxi because the cars are so reliable, parts are so cheap and they are very economic, too. There's the special "taxi" version called "Limo" which is a low-spec Corolla, you can buy one for non-taxi use too but only if you have "connections", Toyota dealers don't sell them to everyone.

Most of the taxis out there are rented from taxi companies, but some are owned by the drivers (generally the modified ones). You need a special taxi driver's license, then go to any taxi company and rent one - price per day, week or month, driver pays fuel and company pays maintenance etc. Some companies charge lower rent but driver must pay a percentage of the fares, those are usually the ones that take fares "without meter" as all that counts is what's on the meter. A "Corolla Altis" cost 1,200 Baht per day while a "Limo" is 800 Baht (that's if the company does NOT take part of the fares).

Some years ago (before all those new colours came out) it was the rule - taxis owned by the driver had to be green-yellow and company owned taxis had to be red-blue. However since the new colours came available (all-green first, then all-blue, then all-the-others) each colour can be owned or rented, still many owners drive "for a company" so they have "protection" (not unlike mafia).

Oh, my boyfriend's dad was a taxi driver, that's how i know all this :o

Best regards....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Well, I haven't seen Honda taxis, but I have no ground to argue. From what you are saying it appears to be illegal and unusual.

Thanks for clarification on how it works exactly.

Innovas, Thairungs, and APVs are quite common, in my experience, but I've never seen Volvos or Benzes.