Too Many 'important' Topics

Loaded

I feel this board has too many permanent threads. This only leaves room for a limited number of threads on current topics - unless I click on page 2 which few people do IMO. Could these 'important' topics be moved into one 'Chiang Mai essentials' type thread? This is not a crticism of mods or their policies, just a suggestion from a user.

Have had the same thought Loaded. With the adverts (a good thing for the TV biz, I understand) up top and then the long list of pinned things, you have to scroll 2/3 way down - to basically a pg 2-3 !! just to start reading what you want to read. It is bothersome. Too many good things move to 2nd rung (the next pg) and are likely to be buried in the back b4 their time is up. I'm all for either a poll about what should be the pinned topics so we keep, say, 4 of them up there, or even just one bolded box in big colored font "Chiang Mai Essentials" that will attract newbies and that locals will know house the indispensable CM knowledge. Using just one 'essentials' box as the gateway would save alot of otherwise better-used front pg room.

Or perhaps simply raise the number of topics shown on a page?

There are ten pinned topics and 20 active ones. This seems reasonable to me. I kind of like the ease of access for new users to Chiang Mai basics. If you think that people either don't, or can't, go to page two, imagine newbies linking into the Chiang Mai essentials...

Have had the same thought Loaded. With the adverts (a good thing for the TV biz, I understand) up top and then the long list of pinned things, you have to scroll 2/3 way down - to basically a pg 2-3 !! just to start reading what you want to read. It is bothersome. Too many good things move to 2nd rung (the next pg) and are likely to be buried in the back b4 their time is up. I'm all for either a poll about what should be the pinned topics so we keep, say, 4 of them up there, or even just one bolded box in big colored font "Chiang Mai Essentials" that will attract newbies and that locals will know house the indispensable CM knowledge. Using just one 'essentials' box as the gateway would save alot of otherwise better-used front pg room.

Who is going to decide? That is my ONLY question

It is possible to change how many topics you view per page you know....

go to my controls, then in options on the left hand side you will see board settings. The default is set to 25 per page, you can change it up to 40. Also, if you have a slow connection, you can disable viewing avatars, smilies and images in posts.

I agree with Loaded. Even with more threads visible per page you have to scroll past the pinned threads. It is a little tedious.

I don't think it would seriously challenge many newcomers if those (or many of those) threads were all in one folder.

Edited by sylviex

Agreed.

One box for the lot would make it a lot more streamlined. :o

Well.....

The reason for the pinned topics, is that they are precisely designed to obviate those often tiresome and mind-numbingly wearisome inquiries from newbies, who often ask the same question incessantly. And not to point any fingers, but I note that at least 1 or 2 of the above who are in support of chopping the pinned topics down (which will make it less readable to newbs) have been a little, shall we say quick to question those same newbie inquiries.....not that there is anything wrong with that, this is a forum, after all! And the same have often been extremely helpful and generous with information as well on many occasions. Good Karma.

We have to remember that not all people who visit our forum are as internet-savvy as some of us. Many might be visiting for the first time. Many no doubt would struggle to figure out the (2) search functions to ask questions. Like everything in life, it is a trade-off. Less pinned topics, more newbie repeated questions.

I am certain that we can look at the pinned topics, and possibly prune it down a bit. But honestly- how hard is it to use that thing called a mouse scroll wheel? Just kidding, I'll be getting my coat now, see ya..... :o

Can those topic be Like - Put into some kinda SUB - Link or click --

I SURF using my MOBILE phone ..

and on the Limited 2-3 inch space --

it take hel_l long time to load those Topic alone ..

i think -there must be a better way ..

At this Rate --

if we add one GOOD TOPI ro MUST REA topic on top every 1-2 month we will be adding .. 6-12 MUST READ thread ..

I Suggest maybe MUST READ - or - CHIANGMAI - INFO-HOT THREAD- or something ..

" CHIANGMAI GENERAL INFO OF SERVICE,EVENT,DINNING,MAP,GROUP MEETING &MISC -- MUST READ FOR NEW USER** "

Pinned: Introduction to Chiang Mai

Pinned: Topic has attachmentsMaps Of Northern Thailand And Street Maps

Pinned: Hotels-Hospitals-Doctors-Lawyers-Accountants-Architects

Pinned: Chiang Mai Classifieds

Pinned: Welcome To Chiang Mai

Pinned: Forthcoming Motorsports Events 2008

Pinned: Topic has attachmentsGood Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

Pinned: Chiang Mai Hash House Harriers

------

Edited by Ta22

Nobody say the Mods and Admin don't listen to the members. All pinned topics have been moved to the Chiang Mai FAQ's and Events sub forum

Good move, but it confused the heck out of me! I was reading the thread and went to "My Controls" to tweak the number of posts per page, went back to see the effect and found the whole thing re-organised as above. Amazing!

Didn't know your own strength, eh, Greenside :o ?

(Thanks, p1p - guess it was your work.)

The "best places to eat" thread might stay in the active topics. I think that's the only one of the pinned topics getting frequent "updates".

Please discuss ( wink ).

Edited by sylviex

Didn't know your own strength, eh, Greenside :o ?

(Thanks, p1p - guess it was your work.)

The "best places to eat" thread might stay in the active topics. I think that's the only one of the pinned topics getting frequent "updates".

Please discuss ( wink ).

I tried leaving it in the normal forum, but it immediately sank to the second or third page. Much easier to find in the sub-forum - I feel

As regards to responsibility. I am happy to accept blame, but credit needs to be shared by the many mods who input and admin who changed the structure.

Nobody say the Mods and Admin don't listen to the members. All pinned topics have been moved to the Chiang Mai FAQ's and Events

I get a similar feeling to the one I got yesterday afternoon when the wind blew a crapload of shit away and left just cool clean air.

Big thanks!